Why I am no longer buying crystals... your thoughts?

Hey all,

I've spent a fair chunk of change though nowhere enough to be considered a 'whale.' I've decided to stop. On my main account I'm stuck around arena rank #350 - I started playing that account when the game came out. That's where the money went and I've built na impressive team but as I look through the server leaderboard, at my inability to get passed even a few battles anymore in GW, at how impossible it is to earn credits, I've decided to still play thta account but contribute no money to it as it will probably take months if not years as a F2P. I'm simply unwilling to throw down thousands of dollars on the game.

Now, this week, I started a new account on a new server chain - I'm rank #5 as primarily F2P(spent 15 bucks on a 10 buck bundle of crystals with the starter pack), challenged for #1 today, almost won. I'm now getting hundreds of crystals a day, have a strong team and a real shot of succeeding pretty much for free. My only challenge is the few whales to come along but as I havea jumpstart, I should maintain a steady rank if I keep on top of that account. I will most likely spend money again should a great deal present itself but under the current structure I've no incentive to spend anymore.

Has anyone else run into this? Where you abandon the main account you've played for months and sunk money into to start anew?

Replies

• Options
    The change in keycard battles have made it much more difficult to farm credits.
  • Options
    With being unable to finish a GW or get to the endstage of it, at high level, ti is practically impossible to get credits which essentially cripples you.
  • Options
    Being unable to finish or get deep in GW, I'm good for maybe 250k creds a day, after battles and refreshes, on an average day I MIGHT get 300k credits, if I'm lucky. On days of training events there's another 300k. so at maximum I make maybe 1M to 1.5M credits a week, on the high outlier. When it costs a million alone to 7 star, half a mil to 6 star, quarter mil to 5 star... and I have a need to star in thse ranks about 20 characters... it's discouraging and takes months to get a decent team, in which time, those able to pass GW, high ranked or 'whales, have totally smoked you and it's pointless, anyways.
  • Options
    For me that is the main problem with the game.
    You dont need to be a whale to be the best. You only have to get the early advantage, once you have that, you will get so many crystals that no one will be able to get to you anymore. And you wont need to put more money in the game.
    They made the rewards system in arena so uneven that in the long run, I believe people will realize that no matter what you do if you are in the top five, you will be there forever.

Just like the cap rates they started with energy. The top five have so much energy that they are buying energy "for free" and when they raise the level cap they will get to lvl 80 fast.
    While other people will be lacking droids, credits e etc.

So my point is, If you are ranked below 50, forget it. It is impossible to close the gap. You might be thinking you are closing the gap now since the lvl is capped but once they raise to 80... it will be fun...
  • Options
    My wife just looked at my Bank account yesterday. I'm done buying anything as well. :-(
  • Options
    My wife just looked at my Bank account yesterday. I'm done buying anything as well. :-(

Lol. :D
    Yeah, its right. You just have to be the early bird and make it on top right from the start. Now I refuse to pay due to bad costumer service from EA though I liked to support the game previously.
    Robbed me 500 crystals due to a bug and refused to give em back ... Im done spending and I dont need to anymore
    It is even more fun to be on top w/o throwing money to a greedy company. Set yourself a limit, 400, 500 every day and be happy
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

Wahahha. Good thing I manage the money in our house.
  • Options
    With an ROI of $50-100, that's definately manageable, in a lifetime game cycle(2-3 years), several hundreds dollars is understanable. Several hundred dollars a week, is totally unfathomable to post sane people who are not millionaires.
  • Options
    Bostonmess wrote: »
    Now I refuse to pay due to bad costumer service from EA though I liked to support the game previously.
    Robbed me 500 crystals due to a bug and refused to give em back ... Im done spending and I dont need to anymore

I bought premium currency in Tapped Out (another EA game), and it was not delivered. After a ticket was put on hold for a couple of months, I explained the situation to Google's fraud department and they reversed the charge.
  • Options
    I haven't experienced any issues with EA and personally, from the notes and updates from the developers, I believe this is a fantastic game and they're understandably trying to make money. However, when premium currency and pricing effects mechanics, I feel as if the developers are battling against profit targets and margins to orchestrate a well balanced game. This is no doubt a titanic struggle but one I hope the developers win out on as it will only benefit the company's bottom line and players enjoyment of the game.
  • Options
    Puglio wrote: »
    I bought premium currency in Tapped Out (another EA game), and it was not delivered. After a ticket was put on hold for a couple of months, I explained the situation to Google's fraud department and they reversed the charge.

THX for info. In my case things are not so easy. I had over 500 crystals and wanted to buy five more squad arena battles. But the Buy button didnt vanish and I pushed em several times. Finally I got my five new fights ... For 500 :D
    It was a bug
  • Bostonmess
    176 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DarthCyren wrote: »
    I haven't experienced any issues with EA and personally, from the notes and updates from the developers, I believe this is a fantastic game and they're understandably trying to make money. However, when premium currency and pricing effects mechanics, I feel as if the developers are battling against profit targets and margins to orchestrate a well balanced game. This is no doubt a titanic struggle but one I hope the developers win out on as it will only benefit the company's bottom line and players enjoyment of the game.

Dont know. Do you have the feeling that they really care about the costumer? Look at all the options for spending money ... Game is fun, no doubt, but lacking heart for sure
  • Options
    I think they'll realize, as spenders such as myself are disheartened and stopping the spending free, they'll be totally reliant on the 'rare whales', that their profits will actually shrink and dissappear as there aren't enough small, reasonable purchases with genuine value, as it stands, to continuously entice the mass market.
  • Options
    Being unable to finish or get deep in GW, I'm good for maybe 250k creds a day, after battles and refreshes, on an average day I MIGHT get 300k credits, if I'm lucky. On days of training events there's another 300k. so at maximum I make maybe 1M to 1.5M credits a week, on the high outlier. When it costs a million alone to 7 star, half a mil to 6 star, quarter mil to 5 star... and I have a need to star in thse ranks about 20 characters... it's discouraging and takes months to get a decent team, in which time, those able to pass GW, high ranked or 'whales, have totally smoked you and it's pointless, anyways.

I think you need to check your math.

GW, battles and refreshes per day 300K. 300K day x 7 days/week = 2.1 mil./week

Training credit days (83k x 3)/day x 3 days/week = 747k/week

2.1 million + 747k = 2.847 milion per week

Your estimate is about 1/2 to 1/3 of this.

Also if you're getting 20 characters to 7 stars simultaneously I would suggest you're spreading yourself way too thin.
  • Options

I think you need to check your math.

GW, battles and refreshes per day 300K. 300K day x 7 days/week = 2.1 mil./week

Training credit days (83k x 3)/day x 3 days/week = 747k/week

2.1 million + 747k = 2.847 milion per week

Your estimate is about 1/2 to 1/3 of this.

Also if you're getting 20 characters to 7 stars simultaneously I would suggest you're spreading yourself way too thin.

True but I underestimate my GW because I can barely grab 150k from it anymore as 5 battles in, I'm shut down.
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    Options
    Restarting to gain top rank sounds reasonable. Are top 50 usually still able to complete GW, or do they just live off Arena crystal prizes?
  • Options
    sid wrote: »
    Restarting to gain top rank sounds reasonable. Are top 50 usually still able to complete GW, or do they just live off Arena crystal prizes?

They power up so quickly from arena rewards, they gain the firepower to complete GW too.
  • Options
    Just restarted myself, not because of rank or competition, but just because I screwed up and sunk so much time and resources into crappy chars. Dropped $40 on a bunch of crystals and got complete garbage.....no one even sort of useful. No more cash from me. Already feel like an **** for spending money with no idea what I was buying.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Two things:

#1 - I'm glad I started on a new server when I started the game. Finish top 10 and usually somewhere between #3 and #6. At least I have ONE #1 finish at payout. If you saw my team vs what's on my server you'd probably think I have no business being in the top 500 let alone top 10.

#2 - Glad my wife can't see MY credit card! Then again, I'm not whaling, so....
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options

Lmao , that happened to me last week , didn't go well . Nice that I'm not alone . Love this game!