Arena Payout Calculation Recommendation

Many players are locked into Squad/Fleet Arena Payout times that don't work with their schedules. This leads to lower payouts, frustration, and less time spent in-game because many people can't climb at the correct time everyday.

Allowing players to change their timezone in game could alleviate this, but it would be messy as players would change frequently and it could cause more stress on EA Answers.

My recommendation is to leave everything as-is, but just change the way Payout Rank is calculated. Rather than basing Payout on Rank achieved at a static moment in time, make Payout based on the highest Rank achieved during the previous 24-hours.

This is an easily implementable, simple fix that would make the game much more flexible for players.

More crystals for the Players, more time spent in-game for EA. Win win.

This will not decrease spending because the value of crystals is relative to the crystal income of your peers, so people will still spend to have a competitive edge.

Appreciate the consideration. :smile:

Replies

• Options
    I believe this idea has been mentioned before, but it is an excellent proposition - well said! My arena battle times are right in then middle of family time as it stands which is causing friction. This would provide flexibility and ultimately retain players.
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    Options
    The problem of course is that this would greatly inflate the amount of crystals players earn. This is not a problem at all for balance purposes, but it is against the ideology of EA.
  • Options
    This idea would be great in a perfect world but it would cause huge problems, you could have a huge amount of players getting rank 1 which would cause too many crystals to be handed out. As a result you end up with people being able to buy tons of refreshes and gear which would definitely lower the amount of dollars spent.

If this idea were to be implemented it would have to lower the amount that top 10 players get and make it more evenly spread out since finishing top 1 lands you an astonishing 500 crystals and 400 in fleet so almost 1000 daily crystals which is beyond insane. It would turn dolphins to f2p.

I personally have an issue with snipers locking you down before payout to help their shardmate buddy's. I have went from 1st to 5th to 9th within less than 7 minute before in the last 10 minutes before payout which is very frustrating as you can't make up the lost ground in time.

I would prefer the game allowing us to change our time zone every month or so to deal with real life changes like migration, vacations, changing jobs and stuff like that.
  • Options
    Vohbo wrote: »
    The problem of course is that this would greatly inflate the amount of crystals players earn. This is not a problem at all for balance purposes, but it is against the ideology of EA.

I disagree. It'll end up with almost the same amount of crystals being awarded. One player gets #1 at 6 PM, another gets #1 at 7 PM. Eventually the same players rotate within the top 10 depending on what time their payout is. Everything outside of the top 50 really doesn't matter because everyone gets about the same amount anyways.

I too struggle to find time to max out my place just prior to payouts. It's really constricting and not really in the players best interest, some people have to work during these times. Having 1 clear set time will never be the answer as life always changes.

I'm all for having a different structure set in place. It's really not fair for the game to choose our payout time either, as everyone has their own availability. At the very least have this changeable once every 30 days or something.
  • Options
    Yea I think it would increase overall crystal payouts... but only slightly. Ranks 200 - 20,000 really won't be affected a huge amount. Where it would make a difference is inside the top 50. Rather than awarding exactly 24 1st places during a day for each shard, they may end up awarding as many as 50 or so... but that would be the max. So an increase yes, but a drop in the bucket overall.

But like I said, crystal value is relative to the crystal income of your peers... so if all my peers can reliably bring in more, I still need to spend to outpace them. I don't see this affecting spending.

Those players in the top 50 are some of the most dedicated EA has. They spend the most time and the most cash in the game. Making their lives a little easier is a small investment that will pay dividends to EA through retention, satisfaction, and increasing competition.
  • Tophar
    111 posts Member
    Options
    0hH3NRY wrote: »
    Vohbo wrote: »

I disagree. It'll end up with almost the same amount of crystals being awarded. One player gets #1 at 6 PM, another gets #1 at 7 PM. Eventually the same players rotate within the top 10 depending on what time their payout is. Everything outside of the top 50 really doesn't matter because everyone gets about the same amount anyways.

I too struggle to find time to max out my place just prior to payouts. It's really constricting and not really in the players best interest, some people have to work during these times. Having 1 clear set time will never be the answer as life always changes.

I'm all for having a different structure set in place. It's really not fair for the game to choose our payout time either, as everyone has their own availability. At the very least have this changeable once every 30 days or something.

It would end up with higher payout of crystals overall. 3 people in the same current P.O. hour could all get to #1 at some point over 24 hour period so all 3 get 500 crystals per day. Rather than 1 x 500, 1 x 450, and 1 x 400.

50 crystal increase per player per day in the example above with 3 players in the P.O. hour.

I like the idea as it makes it less time specific for those with Work/family commitments, but it would increase overall payout.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.

This would lead to increased payout of top prizes. They probably won't go for that.
  • Options
    This would be fantastic. Unfortunately it will not happen.

Not to paint EA as a greedy corporate entity, but - there are two purposes behind it. First is to get people to sign on to the game more often throughout the day as this is proven to increase "hooking" people (which is why energy and store refreshes happen several times a day, and at lunch, dinner and after dinner). Second is to decrease the number of crystals awarded while increasing the number spent. Most whales will spend until they run out, then buy a crystal pack.

By keeping a specific hour at a time when most people can play (wife aggro notwithstanding), the cause people to spend more crystals on attempts and cooldown refreshes. More crystals spend = more revenue. Likewise, by having specific payouts EA will not have to payout a first place prize during obscure time slots (eg mid-pacific or mid-atlantic timezones). Less crystals awarded - more bought.
  • Options
    This does seem like a good idea. I think you'd have to refine it a little bit to sell it to EA however. But I think they could recalculate the payouts (this would primarily affect top tier payouts only) give out the same crystals they are giving out now and the players would be happier for it.

I certainly would be, my payouts were at 6 PM and recently 7 PM, but 5 - 6:30 for me is almost entirely used up by dinner time and the drive home. I really shouldn't be doing arena during that time, but it's the only way to end up in the top 5.
  • Options
    I would love for ea to redo arena in some fashion. I don't see it happening though. People that use the current system to there advantage would get very upset and some would quit. With the current system players are unsatisfied but won't quit because they already excepted that this is the norm. No reason for cg to stir the pot. The goal of capital games is to make money. They do that by making a quality game. They try to make the game as fun as possible without hurting there profitability. This would hurt that.
  • Options
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    I would love for ea to redo arena in some fashion. I don't see it happening though. People that use the current system to there advantage would get very upset and some would quit. With the current system players are unsatisfied but won't quit because they already excepted that this is the norm. No reason for cg to stir the pot. The goal of capital games is to make money. They do that by making a quality game. They try to make the game as fun as possible without hurting there profitability. This would hurt that.

The most profitable games I know are constantly evolving. They remain the best because they are the ones most people play. Certainly people who game the current system would get upset if that system were changed, but other people would take their place, and I have to expect that a quality product would be a net positive in active players.
  • Options
    Of all the ideas that were posted do adress the payout time problem, this one ist still the best for the players. It provides the maximum Flexibility witch is really needed here. Ist not like the curent System is a bit uncomfortable for many players but its absolute garbage. Messing with family, job and other obligations a lot. It will lead to higher payouts all in all, but I don't think it will be too excessive.
  • Options
    Or perhaps a combination of both systems: The rank of a player is saved every full hour. At Payout time you will get the reward for the best saved rank of the day. Like this there is still only one no1 per hour, etc., but players can choose freely every day in witch hour they do their progress.
  • xeynx
    38 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like the idea of best ranking you can achieve per day. If you want to spend a bunch of crystals to "maximize" that, go for it. Yes, there would be "collusion" at the top for a bunch of people to get 1st, but honestly, it already happens and those are usually the whales who've spent tons of money anyway, and will still spend tons of money. Does it matter in the end? Probably not.

Maybe an alternative is this only applies to anyone higher than a certain rank, like rank 20 or 50. If you want to get that level (1-20/50) of payout you need to "hold" it. That would allow people in the upper ranks (who will probably never see those super low ranks) to get decent rewards without feeling like they can't make a gain.

It wouldn't necessarily solve the "collusion" problem, but at least could help people get higher rewards occasionally if they have to squad to do it.
  • Options
    I wish CG would be more open with their concerns/reason why they won’t allow timezone changes. This particular QOL feature change would increase enjoyment and really take a burden off players and decrease burnout among players.

Moving to a neighbouring country for work means payout is right smack in the middle of the afternoon but then it doesn't qualify as 4 time zones... EA, please tell me how often people shifts 4 timezones???

submitted a ticket but to no avail. Dont understand their pettiness in terms of providing this service.