Character Level or Character star first?

I'm just wondering what I should focus on more. I've basically got all my characters in around 39-45, so they're all close to the same level, for when I have to throw characters into the grinder on suicide squads for GW. I'm just wondering, while grinding up shards, should I slowly increase my mains level, or wait till they're all around 4-5 stars, THEN start raising their levels to 45-50, etc?

Replies

• Options
    I am avoiding bringing any of my characters to 7* on purpose right now but they all are lvl 69-70. The reason being the GW matching has been proven by the devs to be affected by your best squads power level.

I have noticed that I have faced less and less squads of full 7* / full purple gear. A few weeks ago, I would face at least 1 or 2 squads of four 7* with purple gear and the other one would be 5-6*. Now that has dropped to maybe 1-2 7* and that is it. The other characters would be a mix of blue and purple gear. It has made GW even easier for me.

My advice would be to bring your characters up to max level but not full stars.
  • Options
    So, get them all to a similar star rating, 4-5, but until I wanna really pull the trigger on crazy end game GW, keep them there, but naturally raise their level as I wanna do higher level Cantina/LS/DS matches, got it.
  • Options
    I just finished GW again, the only squad I faced that was tough was three 7* and only two of them had purple gear.
  • Options
    My strategy was until level 70:
    - Level up my main team (Sid, Lumi, GS, Phasma, Daka) every time I level up : so you'll have a full team Lvl 70 when you ding 70,
    - Star up my main team every time I have the shards to star up : I reached Lvl 70 with 4 7* Char and a 6* Char,
    I had almost no real backup expect some 4* chars (Chewie, JC, Poe) that was level 55+.

Now i am level 70, i softly level up to 70 some chars, but 1 level by 1 level every day.
    I'll star up the chars i'm farming when i had the shards (Qui Gon and RG mainly)
    I am also farming shards for Yoda's Challenge and Scoundrel's Challenge, but i don't star them up until a few days before re-opening.

With that strategy, i have no issue with GW and Arena.
  • Options
    IMO You should keep your Arena squad max level or as close as you can and star them up as fast as you can.
    Have Dark and Light side squads up high enough to progress as far as you can in their battles.
    Keep characters you need for challenges up high enough to complete the hardest ones you have unlocked.
    If you do these things you can progress as far as possible and should be fine for GW

I wouldn't limit your Arena squad for the sake of GW... It ends up being more random than anything and can be anywhere from ridiculously easy to impossibly hard regardless
  • Options
    I am avoiding bringing any of my characters to 7* on purpose right now but they all are lvl 69-70. The reason being the GW matching has been proven by the devs to be affected by your best squads power level.

I have noticed that I have faced less and less squads of full 7* / full purple gear. A few weeks ago, I would face at least 1 or 2 squads of four 7* with purple gear and the other one would be 5-6*. Now that has dropped to maybe 1-2 7* and that is it. The other characters would be a mix of blue and purple gear. It has made GW even easier for me.

According to devs the GW matching is based off the highest power squad you've ever won a battle with in Arena, so it would be impossible to make the matching become any easier outside of RNG. In GW on my newer account I see squads from 10+ levels below me to 10+ levels above me with far higher stars and gear than me or anyone on my server shard
  • Options
    I see in GW sometimes +20 and early on +15 and have not rised the max level of my top toons since over a month as to get a higher number toons first. This strategy worked for the last weeks but now since one week as mentioned the difficulty independent of what I did in arena has changed.
  • Options
    @Hauzer you are correct, I have not had a problem with GW in several weeks because of limiting my characters from going to 7*. I have 4 characters I can get to 7*. When I start GW now, the first team I face is usually 20 levels below me. The last node to complete GW after the reset last night, only one character was 7* and their characters were level 64-66. I have seen a definite change in the match making when I left my team to stagnate on star level.
  • Options
    Hauzer wrote: »

According to devs the GW matching is based off the highest power squad you've ever won a battle with in Arena, so it would be impossible to make the matching become any easier outside of RNG. In GW on my newer account I see squads from 10+ levels below me to 10+ levels above me with far higher stars and gear than me or anyone on my server shard

Well he'd been saying one thing on Reddit for a while and it turned out to be wrong so take whatever is said in non-official forums with a big grain of salt.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Hauzer
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Jabberwocky
    However it works, it's random as hel anyway. What they claimed after looking into it is that it's based off the highest squad power you have won a battle with in arena. On the new shard I play on I regularly see teams in GW way more powerful than any of the top 20 Arena teams, so I don't even know... Whatever it is it's pretty broken hence all the whining going on here and Reddit about GW

@vanceForceOne
    If what the devs have said is even true, GW is not going to get harder just from promoting your characters, and it is definitely not going to get easier from not promoting your characters, that doesn't even make sense. And you are doing this based on something "proven by the devs" ?

Promote your dam characters and pray to RNGesus
  • Options
    Hauzer wrote: »
    @Jabberwocky
    However it works, it's random as hel anyway. What they claimed after looking into it is that it's based off the highest squad power you have won a battle with in arena. On the new shard I play on I regularly see teams in GW way more powerful than any of the top 20 Arena teams, so I don't even know... Whatever it is it's pretty broken hence all the whining going on here and Reddit about GW

@vanceForceOne
    If what the devs have said is even true, GW is not going to get harder just from promoting your characters, and it is definitely not going to get easier from not promoting your characters, that doesn't even make sense. And you are doing this based on something "proven by the devs" ?

Promote your dam characters and pray to RNGesus

Yup, seems random. Even when I was finishing first in Arena 4/7 days with over 27k power squad, some days it was all 7* level 70 toons from the 3rd match on and other days nearly a cake walk except for one tough opponent around battle 9-10. Haven't missed completing it in the last 40 days at least, in fact, last time I didn't finish was before the retreat change (I didn't force close) .
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    I started this game without a clue 7 weeks ago and made many mistakes. I also wasted tons of resources and credits and crystals lol. But, I am noticing I should have leveled a few characters, and had a handful of stand ins for GW. Working on stars now that I have it as a priority, I have been starring characters at least one a day. My strategy has been this for resources.

Hard battles farm Dooku and JC shards rest of energy goes to gear for arena team.

Cantina battles total focus on Kylo

Cantina store I have been starring up in order QGJ, Poe, and once they hit 5* each I will be going back to Five's.

Arena shop Sid once he is done, I will split my points between st Han and Akbar.

GW I finished Lumi and now I am getting Poggle to 5* then phasma to 5* and I will make a choice then.

I have farmed GS, sitting at 20/65. With one node it's become a hobby not a chore. Once I have Dooku and JC to 5* each I am going to do Dooku and Barris.

I found setting a clear goal and strategy to get there has changed the scope of the game for me finished GW last 6 days in a row, went from 800 in arena to 150. Took me focusing for 2 weeks but, I have made tons of progress. My account is level 70 but all my characters are between 68-45. I am needing to focus on that next. Just need credits and droids to train with. In time I suppose.

Also, I can confirm the experiment of arena affecting GW. Tip from experience, your last battle in arena through in B team you will drop ranks over night, once you go for GW the next day BEFORE you reset galactic war, go to arena now look at challengers and characters you have pick the weakest possible team you can WIN against an opponent. When you WIN a battle with a weaker squad, go to GW and restart it. You will be fighting a winnable GW at this point all the way through, also don't forget you can retreat. Sometimes changing party order and getting a better rng can save your group. This is my experience and it works for me. Takes some practice.