Competitiveness of arena

Prev1
Not sure if this has been talked about before but I feel like it is an issue that deserves a look at. When it comes to the top 10 of arena things become very competitive. Some have worked around this by working with their shardmates to plan when to take a certain place and when to avoid them. While I feel like this negates the essence of arena I don't mind a little cooperation to get better rewards. The problem is that 7 of the top 10 are in the same guild in my shard, meaning that I'd never be able to get to the top due to constantly being attacked from all of them. Is there anything that should be done about this? If so what do you think could 'fix' this?

Replies

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    It all depends on when people have payout times. If all 7 of them share the time with you, then chances are they'll coordinate and lock you out. If they get payout before or after you, then they might be willing to "share."

Find out if they have a discord or LINE channel and find out!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been talked about before ....
    Really?

• Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    It all depends on when people have payout times. If all 7 of them share the time with you, then chances are they'll coordinate and lock you out. If they get payout before or after you, then they might be willing to "share."

Yea I get I could do that but what I'm talking about is the competitive spirit of arena, It has become less of an "arena" and more of a "waiting your turn for payout". Especially when there are multiple people on the same team who can coordinate against others and block them out.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Really?

Yes, I don't browse here frequently and I haven't seen a post talking about it when I have been on. If that's all you came here to say why post at all? You're only bumping the discussion to the top. If it is an issue that's over discussed let it get buried.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yea I get I could do that but what I'm talking about is the competitive spirit of arena, It has become less of an "arena" and more of a "waiting your turn for payout". Especially when there are multiple people on the same team who can coordinate against others and block them out.

Well given how expensive and time consuming this game is, most people do not see the issue in having an arena discord/line channel.

People usually lock themselves at the top of the hour to stop snipers who try to break through for the sole purpose of trolling.

I ain't dropping $50,000 worth of crystal to max out my roster so every bit of help counts from the 2 arenas
  • Options
    @Huatimus another fake account of the same person, you should report them
  • Options

Well given how expensive and time consuming this game is, most people do not see the issue in having an arena discord/line channel.

People usually lock themselves at the top of the hour to stop snipers who try to break through for the sole purpose of trolling.

I ain't dropping $50,000 worth of crystal to max out my roster so every bit of help counts from the 2 arenas

You must have no skill in resource management if you have to spend $50,000 to get 5 toons maxed.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been talked about before but I feel like it is an issue that deserves a look at. When it comes to the top 10 of arena things become very competitive. Some have worked around this by working with their shardmates to plan when to take a certain place and when to avoid them. While I feel like this negates the essence of arena I don't mind a little cooperation to get better rewards. The problem is that 7 of the top 10 are in the same guild in my shard, meaning that I'd never be able to get to the top due to constantly being attacked from all of them. Is there anything that should be done about this? If so what do you think could 'fix' this?

There are really only 2 was to deal with this kind of situation:

1) join em - either their guild or find their shard chat and get in on the action

2) beat em - develop your own "coalition of the willing" from those other players in your shard who aren't part of the in-crowd and fight it out with the "cool kids"

The devs have not, in many previous threads and related conversations, made any effort to denounce this type of coordination among shards which can only mean that they accept, or even condone, such organization. Do not expect some game wide "fix." You need to come up with your own (or accept never making the top 10).
  • Options
    Actually I made a post about this not that long ago. I have 4 people in my fleet shard interlocking themselves in top 4 which leaves me 5th place. Most people would be happy with 5th except like you said, it ruins the competitive spirit. You can read my post.

I'm sure not many people are trolling when it comes to payouts. I mean some times if I have a few extra battles at the end of the day cause I bought refreshes, I'll try to use all the attempts before the activity reset in order to climb as high as possible so I can have a better starting rank next day. I wouldn't call that sniping for troll
  • Options

This is exactly what I'm talking about though. I get the frustration of payout times and worrying about being hit right before. That is part of the issue. I feel like arena has lost its meaning, instead of the top players fighting for the top spot it is the top players coordinating when to take a certain spot. I haven't come up with a solution myself but was wondering if others felt the same way.

I know the devs are working on much more important matters but this is still an issue I feel is worth mentioning.
  • Options
    Ferret2112 wrote: »

There are really only 2 was to deal with this kind of situation:

1) join em - either their guild or find their shard chat and get in on the action

2) beat em - develop your own "coalition of the willing" from those other players in your shard who aren't part of the in-crowd and fight it out with the "cool kids"

The devs have not, in many previous threads and related conversations, made any effort to denounce this type of coordination among shards which can only mean that they accept, or even condone, such organization. Do not expect some game wide "fix." You need to come up with your own (or accept never making the top 10).

1) No chance of getting into this particular guild nor do I want to join them

2) An option but not one I'm personally interested in, I feel like arena should be free-for-all, we already have territory wars for team fights

Thanks for the info, I wish the devs would speak up about it one way or another.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

I haven't come up with a solution myself but was wondering if others felt the same way.

Nope. Don't see an issue. I know that there are plenty who would agree with you though. I know because it's been discussed in a highly emotional, and toxic manner many times on the forum, and usually ends with the thread getting closed due to insults.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, i colluded for top 1-4 spots for a while. Since mid 2016 maybe. It has become super boring lol.
  • Options
    There's no such things as competitive arena.. just illusion. Anyone can beat everyone. The matter is how to manage to be in the top arena.
  • Options
    Shard chats exist for a few reasons.

1) without shard chats you have people defending their spot even when it does not matter, meaning everyone is burnign extra crystals on refreshes.

2) the timing for arena payout is absolutely freaking terrible, im trying to have dinner, so the less i have to mess with this the better.

3) no one benefits if a payout rolls around with someone in a top 5 spot who is not getting a payout.
  • Landale3
    87 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I really don't see the issue with it, personally.

The fact is you will always be competing with the same people forever. The shard participants will never change, and eventually you'll all be the same power level as everyone else that is still active in the shard. The realization of this can lead many to want to cooperate rather than compete, since you'll be stuck with the same people while you play this account.

I've played other games with PvP modes where the events change participants every couple days. Those can get competitive when placement for the whole event (in one's own shard) is at stake (and the payout for the event happens at the same time for everyone, unlike here), but even there people have setup coordination chats to help each other raise their scores. In one game, while they may be in the same event and the same payout time, they are all in a different shard (fighting can happen across shards).

I think it's just a natural reaction with games like this to try to get the most out of one's own playtime, and, since the payouts roll-out daily according to timezone, if 26 people (from 26 different time zones) can get the rewards from #1 in a single day, then that's cool in my book.
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    Options
    That is why there should be a reshuffle and reset of the pvp shards. Yes, this has been discussed before and is never done. One could argue that by coordinating attacks to keep another gamer from breaking into the top ten could be interfering with the fairness of the game. Now I wouldn't have thought about the fairness of PvP being interfered with but when I see that it's actually mentioned on the forums to use another chat service other than the game chat to do so. Then the only conclusion is that the fairness of PvP arena has been interfered with. The rewards for being in the top 10 or number 1 are great but if the fairness of the PvP arena is in question then. What is one to do?
    May the force be with those who are trying break into the top 10 or number 1 spot. ;)
  • Options
    I personally don't agree with blocking people out when they are climbing to their payout outside of everyone else's payout times. That doesn't seem very cool.

Still, I'm not sure what can be said that hasn't already been said a million times. It sounds like this conversation has been had a lot on the forums.

Best of luck to everyone! =)
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    They did come up with a solution already, TW. No collusion there. That’s where you’ll get your competitive action. Also, it’s competition within your arena whoever doesn’t drop as far as the rest.. the little things.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to Feedback >> Arena
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Really?

Yes, I don't browse here frequently and I haven't seen a post talking about it when I have been on. If that's all you came here to say why post at all? You're only bumping the discussion to the top. If it is an issue that's over discussed let it get buried.

Yes, it has been over discussed. Yes, guild mates help each other, of course. It's all good and doesn't need fixing.
  • Options
    The only fix that there could ever be to this is to remove all payouts and set one time for it. Yeess you see it. Absolute mayhem. Let the hate flow trough you. What were shardmates yesterday are now sworn enemies and are sacrificing their first borns for the top spot. The previous "shard chat leader" has been killed in the coup d'etat shortly after the unannounced update rolled out.
    The whole multi-payout system was designed to promote competitiveness. And it does exactly that. The beauty of it is that this is one of the systems that is focused on early-mid game and almost completely neglects the endgame. Most of the arena-generated revenue comes from before 85, people spending thousands to make a early dream team. So the above mentioned shard chats are formed at least a few months in the shard are not really of concern to the devs. It's like that takeout container that has been sitting in the kitchen for a while now. They know it's there, it's annoying, but not annoying enough yet to take care of it.
    While my arena shard is not that competitive at my payout (I hover around top 20 and during my payout I do not see any action taking place) at fleet I have 2 other players competing with me for the top spot every day. It was fun at first but now it's just dull. I am not interested in wasting 20 minutes of my life frantically checking the arena for 50 crystals. 3rd spot is all good for me, 2nd even better. I try for 1st, but if it's locked in combat I just let it be. What I am absolutely thrilled about is the fact that us 3 have all different builds (one Ackbar one Mace and my Exec)
    The point is, I've been a competitive player for 10 years now (dota, wow, lol, dota 2 you name it, I've been at the top) and this system is just not meant for an individual to be at the top without serious sacrifice and luck. There is skill involved early, but the bigger GP the less of a skill factor there is. It's all about timing, and when you snipe that 1st spot. While the thrill of the seconds is great, it gets boring eventually. Especially if your wife keeps hitting you with a laddle because you are on your phone during dinner. If a guild keeps locking you out of top 10, top 20 is more than good. 200 crystals less is 2$ a day. Are you really considering that you are worth less than 60$ a month?
  • Peer
    299 posts Member
    Options
    I think many shard chats become closed society by the time at least one or two slots get so crowded that this kind of cooperation requires too much time/work. For every new member all have to share and give. Many guys with good squads become targets and basically they spend the crystals on refreshes others can spare. It is not true that only few people are affected negatively. Many never make it to 30 or below because they lack resources. Others overspend and climb and get bumped and climb again and never make it to top 10.
  • xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My guildies are very disappointed by this system. Every person faced these "contractual battles" willing to leave the game, we already lost 3 top players, and another 4 talking about it right now. The issue is bigger than it seems. I read comments here... Undoubtedly, if the person support such system, he participates in it.

The main problem is that top20 arena became 20vsYou. Of course other players cannot beat the "circle of chosen", because they do not even spend their tries. They have their own schedule of who sits on first place and when, depending on the time zone, and they spend only required number of steps to take first place. Remaining tries are spent to force off newcomers. Good for chosen ones. Bad for all else.

The only way to beat the system, is to make it even more complicated - join another active persons from your top 50 and try to compete with top20/top10/top5 guys, so it would look like Gang vs Gang fight.

Actually, as I see it, nobody cares. People just complain to guildies and leave.

We have guildies which participate in such "agreements" btw. They are happiest persons ever. Always at first places. And I think it is an evidence, that something is wrong.
    The balance? Never heard of that.
  • xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My guildies are very disappointed by this system. Every person faced these "contractual battles" willing to leave the game, we already lost 3 top players, and another 4 talking about it right now. The issue is bigger than it seems. I read comments here... Undoubtedly, if the person support such system, he participates in it.

The main problem is that top20 arena became 20vsYou. Of course other players cannot beat the "circle of chosen", because they do not even spend their tries. They have their own schedule of who sits on first place and when, depending on the time zone, and they spend only required number of steps to take first place. Remaining tries are spent to force off newcomers. Good for chosen ones. Bad for all else.

The only way to beat the system, is to make it even more complicated - join another active persons from your top 50 and try to compete with top20/top10/top5 guys, so it would look like Gang vs Gang fight.

Actually, as I see it, nobody cares. People just complain to guildies and leave.

We have guildies which participate in such "agreements" btw. They are happiest persons ever. Always at first places. And I think it is an evidence, that something is wrong.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    Yes, it has been over discussed. Yes, guild mates help each other, of course. It's all good and doesn't need fixing.
    What a... weird opinion. It is not a Guild War arena, it is solo squad Arena. If someone has 7 guildmates in his shard and others have none, it is definitely not good and not fair. And it definitely needs fixing.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    xtended2l wrote: »

Did you really just call players being happy evidence of something being wrong?
    Save water, drink champagne!