Back to 25 teams per zone has taken the fun out of TW

yossgold
63 posts Member
edited April 2018
This post will probably get zero attention from “the forces that be” but I had to post it anyway. Adding 15 teams to each zone in TW actually added a layer of strategy and was a great move (I’m guessing it’s getting “nerfed” due to loads of ppl whining about it). Suddenly the back zones became the make or break bonus zones they were intended to be, suddenly fleets weren’t “free zones”, suddenly if you played around with which teams you put in what zones you could actually affect the outcome.

Now, we’re back to full clears and the guild that wins will be the one with the better rng on that given day.

It’s a shame that CG gave in to a bunch of whiney players who don’t really want to play the game, they just want to log in, so their stuff with as little effort as possible and get rewards. TW had actually become fun these last two, after the matchmaking got fixed and we weren’t facing guilds with 20M GP less than us. We lost one, adjusted strategy and won the next. Both were super close and super fun.

It’s still going to be fun, but 90% of the strategic aspect of it has been taken out. Now it’s all down to performance on the day. All of the top guilds are going to place the same teams on defense without too much room for improvisation and the guild that manages to be on point on offense (or gets the better rng or hits the in-battle crashes bug the least) will win.

I personally loved what the extra teams brought to the table and am going to miss it. Once the matchmaking was fixed, I don’t think there was any need to go any further.
Post edited by yossgold on

Replies

• Options
    Got to agree with this. The game mode should not have full clears. It adds a lot of strategy to all aspects of the game mode. 25 per zone for high end guilds is just pure RNG..
  • Ariella
    219 posts Member
    Options
    It surely isn’t beyond the wit of the dev team to scale up the defensive requirements for each payout bracket?
  • Options
    That might be fine for the bigger guilds, but placing 30 teams per sector isn't much fun for 115 million GP guilds. I'm glad they brought it back to a reasonable number.
  • Options
    That might be fine for the bigger guilds, but placing 30 teams per sector isn't much fun for 115 million GP guilds. I'm glad they brought it back to a reasonable number.

I agree, which is why it shouldn’t be uniform for all. Now that they’ve fixed matchmaking, let the higher end guilds stretch their rosters and actually think about the defensive layout.

They made a great move that just needed fine tuning, then a bit of backlash and they just scratched the whole thing. The main idea is that guilds need to stretch their rosters for this game mode to be fun. If you’re a 115M GP guild matches against a similar one - 25 teams per zone does just that. But if you’re in a 150M+ GP guild, you’re most likely going to clear 25 teams per zone and whether you win or lose boils down to performance on offense and the game not crashing while you’re in battle (and we all know that happens quite a lot).

Since now it seems like matchmaking has gotten way better, let the big boys strategize their defense.
  • Options
    I've already had a 30 sector requirement for TW. That was unrealistic for my guild. 25 would work, 30 took all the fun out it.
  • Laviscious
    159 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    See that’s the difference in guilds to be honest about wethere it’s 25 or 35 teams per guild but correcting the GP difference gave the Tw mechanics made it fun and worth while hanging on the ends of your banners/chair type of battle to it I actually loved the 35/35 as my Ewok s and Phoenix were used and I could see where I was Defensively not only that it wasn’t a draw type scenario which got bor8ng really fast battle of the best 35/35 should be guild GP of 140M or more to be fair to the guilds not able to and to those that do.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    yossgold wrote: »

Now, we’re back to full clears and the guild that wins will be the one with the better rng on that given day.

You really think RNG is the key deciding factor for the win?
    Also, i'd like to note that you're now the one "whining" and that "whining" lead to the initial changes you seem to like.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP on this. For stronger guilds the increase in defensive teams needed created more strategy. It's the convoluted scoring system that needs to be changed, not the increased number of defensive teams needed by higher GP guilds.

The reduction combined with the "new" scoring system is actually a step backwards. It reduces strategy and increases the influence of rng on TW outcomes - neither of which is a positive.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP on this. For stronger guilds the increase in defensive teams needed created more strategy. It's the convoluted scoring system that needs to be changed, not the increased number of defensive teams needed by higher GP guilds.

The reduction combined with the "new" scoring system is actually a step backwards. It reduces strategy and increases the influence of rng on TW outcomes - neither of which is a positive.

def banners was a bad idea from the start, but the forum seemed to have agreed it was the way to go.
    I'm still in favour of increasing def slots to prevent unforced ties and a tie breaker that only comes into effect when there actually is a tie.
    25 is an adequate amount of def slots to prevent unforced ties for guilds with 125m GP and lower. (maybe even adequate for higher GP guilds)
    in case of a tie, let the guild with most GP posted on def win. This way you can force a tie, but you'll still get 2nd place rewards due to having the least GP posted on def.
  • Options
    Totally agree with OP. TW is waaaay better with more teams to set. Way more strategy needed. I'd rather dig deep in my roster then just set top teams and have 30%+ of my roster unused. Makes it way more fun having to build more teams. The only place we could actually use our full roster of toons available. I hope they change it back. Or scale it up as guilds sizes increase at least.
  • Options
    Also agree with OP. For guilds with over 140m GP, it makes sense to add more squads per zone. I think the main issue was that for too many guilds under that 140m GP benchmark were being required to add extra squads. I'm in a 160+m GP guild and 25 per zone really doesn't seem like enough.
  • Options
    25 is too few, but suddenly going to 30 per zone was too much... you either had to set junk teams to defend (which would be giving free points to the opponent) or you can't play on offense, which isn't much fun.
  • Options
    I think 140m GP is where the amount of Def teams starts to scale up. Above 170m GP it should be 35 teams.
  • ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    Options
    This post will probably get zero attention from “the forces that be” but I had to post it anyway. Adding 15 teams to each zone in TW actually added a layer of strategy and was a great move (I’m guessing it’s getting “nerfed” due to loads of ppl whining about it). Suddenly the back zones became the make or break bonus zones they were intended to be, suddenly fleets weren’t “free zones”, suddenly if you played around with which teams you put in what zones you could actually affect the outcome.

It’s a shame that CG gave in to a bunch of whiney players who don’t really want to play the game, they just want to log in, so their stuff with as little effort as possible and get rewards. TW had actually become fun these last two, after the matchmaking got fixed and we weren’t facing guilds with 20M GP less than us. We lost one, adjusted strategy and won the next. Both were super close and super fun.

It’s still going to be fun, but 90% of the strategic aspect of it has been taken out. Now it’s all down to performance on the day. All of the top guilds are going to place the same teams on defense without too much room for improvisation and the guild that manages to be on point on offense (or gets the better rng or hits the in-battle crashes bug the least) will win.

I personally loved what the extra teams brought to the table and am going to miss it. Once the matchmaking was fixed, I don’t think there was any need to go any further.

Just for curiosity reasons what is your guilds gp. Mine is mid 120s and it doesn't bother me either way. I'm curious where the gp line should be.
  • Options
    My guild is 154M GP. And having 35 teams per zone means we do actually have to have teams that aren’t great on defense. That’s what was so much fun. You had to strategically “hide” them and make do with way less on offense (which is also super fun). The whole idea behind this game mode was supposed to be “those who clear the most win” while the back zones, which are supposed to be super hard to breach have the bonus banners. So naturally the numbers of teams per zone has to correlate with guild size. As long as you’re matchup up with a guild of your size, as long as both your rosters are stretched, it becomes fun.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

def banners was a bad idea from the start, but the forum seemed to have agreed it was the way to go.
    I'm still in favour of increasing def slots to prevent unforced ties and a tie breaker that only comes into effect when there actually is a tie.
    25 is an adequate amount of def slots to prevent unforced ties for guilds with 125m GP and lower. (maybe even adequate for higher GP guilds)
    in case of a tie, let the guild with most GP posted on def win. This way you can force a tie, but you'll still get 2nd place rewards due to having the least GP posted on def.

I agree with you - but the current system doesn't work like that.

Ironically, the scoring change actually makes it more boring and mundane - especially for multi-national guilds that live in different time zones and/or have different game schedules. Let me explain:

The "new" scoring system encourages you to play extremely cautiously on offense and also make sure to "overkill" so you have all 5 heroes (or as close as possible) left at the end of battle. Since most guilds assign certain teams to specific territories, the two combined yield what turns into waiting for 25 guildies to all use the ideal counter team to maximize offense in every territory. Then waiting and doing the same on whatever the next territory is that you open.

In essence, the last two "improvements" to TW have managed to each make it worse. They both discourage strategy and activity and instead encourage everyone to jump out of the game and onto the guild chat to see who still has "team X to counter the CLS teams left"...while everyone else just waits. This discourages strategy, creativity and fun. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the goal - but it is the result.

Dropping defensive teams back down only exacerbates the problem by allowing powerful guilds to min/max defensive teams - thus forcing the opponent on offense to also min/max offense, due to the scoring system that punishes any attempt that is not successful on the first attempt with 5 remaining units. Nothing like attacking once, then waiting for 49 other guildies to all get on and do the same. Then doing it again 9-12 hours later. It's actually becoming more boring than TB, because at least there you have more than 1 battle to play.

ETA: The irony is that the change to the scoring system was allegedly to alleviate a problem that only happened 5% of the time. So instead, the change to the scoring system when combined with the reduction back to 25, makes TW a lesser experience for all.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    Options
    My guild is 154M GP. And having 35 teams per zone means we do actually have to have teams that aren’t great on defense. That’s what was so much fun. You had to strategically “hide” them and make do with way less on offense (which is also super fun). The whole idea behind this game mode was supposed to be “those who clear the most win” while the back zones, which are supposed to be super hard to breach have the bonus banners. So naturally the numbers of teams per zone has to correlate with guild size. As long as you’re matchup up with a guild of your size, as long as both your rosters are stretched, it becomes fun.

I can totally understand where you are coming from. Even where I'm at there isn't a lot of strategy to choose from. This is the first tw where we have had 25 since they changed it. There were a lot more options with additional squads. Couldn't imagine how stale it would seem at the top with 25.
  • StarSon
    7464 posts Member
    Options
    Boo! Hiss! I don't like TW anyway, but having to put in 35 teams made it way worse. I'm plenty happy that it's back to 25.
  • Options
    The funny thing is our guild used to get smoked when it was 24 or 25 teams and started crushing guilds when they increased the defensive units possible.

Oh well.
  • Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »
    The funny thing is our guild used to get smoked when it was 24 or 25 teams and started crushing guilds when they increased the defensive units possible.

Oh well.

Exactly. When your roster is stretched, strategy comes into play.
  • Options
    I've already had a 30 sector requirement for TW. That was unrealistic for my guild. 25 would work, 30 took all the fun out it.

Just curious, how does having to set 5 extra teams on defense (an average of 1 per person) make it unrealistic or less fun? If you don’t want to sacrifice your offense then just put a trash team in there. I think having weak teams to fight is fun, because I get to use my underpowered teams, like my bounty hunters or Ewoks to actually take a team out.
  • Options
    We didn't want to provide any "give away " sectors, placing all your good teams on defense and having nothing to attack with isn't much fun. We had some members getting the warning message about savings teams to attack with.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Just curious, how does having to set 5 extra teams on defense (an average of 1 per person) make it unrealistic or less fun? If you don’t want to sacrifice your offense then just put a trash team in there. I think having weak teams to fight is fun, because I get to use my underpowered teams, like my bounty hunters or Ewoks to actually take a team out.

agreed, also fighting underpowered teams adds to the fun.
    however, the 35/30 slot meta walls kinda prevent both guilds from reaching eachothers weak teams, making the later territories irrelevent alltoghether.
    meta walls are the way to go, but also make TW a whole lot less fun to play. Atleast, imo it's less fun. More slots will result in bigger meta walls and less good teams left for offence. In theory you could easily fill up the extra slots with scrap teams, but in practice it usually doesn't happen. At the very least those scrap teams are moved back to not mess up the meta wall.
  • KyloRey
    871 posts Member
    Options
    They should have kept the 35 defensive teams per zone for matchups where guilds are 150 mill GP or higher. Our guild is one of the highest GP guilds and our matchup ended with both guilds clearing the other's boards pretty easily. Yes, we won due to efficiency but its a shame that we already were building our rosters to accommodate a 35 teams per zone defense and now that changed. There was more strategy when you had 35 teams per zone.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    Setting 35 teams per squad for ~126 mil, and both guilds having "nothing" left for offense and both sitting there for 24 hours staring at a mostly unchanging map isn't what I'd call "fun". No thanks. I'll gladly keep the 25 per zone.
  • Options
    Klocko wrote: »
    Setting 35 teams per squad for ~126 mil, and both guilds having "nothing" left for offense and both sitting there for 24 hours staring at a mostly unchanging map isn't what I'd call "fun". No thanks. I'll gladly keep the 25 per zone.

That’s because you managed your rosters wrong. The idea isn’t to set the hardest defense you can, it’s to set the hardest defense you can, while also leaving something for offense and strategically “hiding” your softer zones. That’s fun.

Also, read back, I’ve clearly said, in 3 posts at least, including the OP, that for guilds under 140M GP of course it shouldn’t be the same. There needs to be proper tiering. For a 150+M GP guilds, 25 teams per zone makes it random.