PVE Option for Squad/Ship Arena

xeynx
38 posts Member
As someone who absolutely loves this game (even though it can be incredibly frustrating how slow it is to progress), I'd thought I'd post about the arenas.

I know that it's incredibly unlikely I'll ever see the top of an arena. (Heck, I may not see the top 100.)
I think the problem I have with the arenas is not this. The problem is I really don't like the PVPish aspect in general. I hate attacking other groups and dropping their levels. Sometimes I feel bad because I know they're also trying to get rewards just like me.

What I'd like to propose is a PVE option for the arenas. I know some people like the PVP aspect, but some people are like me and do not.

This option could almost be like a GW hybrid type of system, an arena "ladder".

Basically, my thought is it'd work like this:
1) You get a listing of 3 possible opponents in a given prize tier. It could allow you to refresh, like the arena does now, to see other opponents. It would randomly draw 3 from the prize tier you're at.
2) If you beat that battle you move up to the next prize tier. For example, you beat someone in the 10,001+ tier, your next battle gives you a list of people in the 5,001-10,000 tier.
3) You keep going until you reach a tier you can no longer beat. (Perhaps give 5 attempts per tier?)
4) There could be a maximum tier you could reach. For example, you can use the "ladder" system only up to the 51-100 or 101-200 tier. To get rewards beyond that you have to play the "PVP" version?
5) You only get rewards from one or the other systems. For example, if you start playing the ladder you forfeit any rewards you would get from the arena itself.
6) It would follow the same payout time as the actual arena.
7) The daily reward for play twice in the arena could be changed to play twice in the arena, or start on an arena ladder.

This would help people who are in a super powerful shard that get stuck in the 1,000s while not devaluating the end goal of the current arena or diluting getting to the top of the shard.

It would also allow for people who maybe have a payout time that isn't helpful by letting them play through the arena "on their own time".

This is just an idea, there might be problems with this type of system, but it's something to think about how to help people progress. We already have enough "gotchas" and road blocks.
It also wouldn't impact the existing arena, it would just give people an alternative method of play.