Possible to 7* Thrawn this time around?

I know it's possible to 7* him at G8 but I've only heard that from level 85 players, I'm level 79 and will be 80 before the event ends.This is what I have,

G10 Ezra (basic omega)
G9 Chopper (4/6 geared)(Basic omega)
G9 Hera (2/6 geared)
G8 Zeb (3/6 geared) (basic omega)
G8 Kanan (3/6 geared)

I'll have enough for another omega or two, not sure if any additional omegas aside from basics open up at 80.

Possible?

Replies

• Options
    Omega the rest's unique and hera leader and u should be set

It also depends on chopper, ezra and hera being 180+ speeds since it would be really difficult to get them to 200+ speed.
    However, RNG still **** with everyone..let me know if u succeed :)
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/u/lukeamidala

I think you can do it too
  • Options
    If you can get level 80 before the event ends save all of your omega materials for their uniques (all save Chopper open at level 80).
  • Options
    You should be fine.

A little luck will help, but you should be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll update if I succeed :smile:
  • Options
    So 7* Thrawn was impossible with what I had. 6* was no problem but I lacked the damage in the final battle. With a few more omegas and a couple levels I'm sure it would be possible but its probably better just to wait until 85 so you aren't wasting resources on a squad you aren't using as a main.
  • Options
    @Hoffman72510 it's not impossible, looking at your gear and levels. I did it at 79 with a very similar set up to what you have now (no basic on chopper omega). It just takes RNG lining up. The stronger you get (levels, gear, abilities, mods) the less RNG matters.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    7 star, level 85, all omegad, G9 across the board. Couldn't do it. I guess I needed way more speed on them, and that wasn't happening. Maybe down the road I'll try again, but screw Thrawn at 7, the other chars like R2, CLS, Yoda, Palpatine all easier at T7 fights-no joke.
  • Options
    Your gear level looks fine. It will just take many attempts and luck with rng. I had lvl 85, 7 star, gear 8, uniques omegaed on my phoenix characters (kanan, ezra, hera, chopper, zeb). I had 181 speed on ezra, 120 on kanan, and 150-160 on the rest just so you know what you would want to aim for. Your gear should be more than enough. Just make sure you dispel the deathtroopers and use hera's res ability and taunts wisely. Don't taunt unless you have no other choice and I'd use chopper's first because of the evasion bonus. My kill order was deathtroopers, stormtrooper, healers, thrawn.
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    Options
    Idk i was 85 and all omega, and my chopper and Hera were g10
  • Options
    EricsonX wrote: »
    7 star, level 85, all omegad, G9 across the board. Couldn't do it. I guess I needed way more speed on them, and that wasn't happening. Maybe down the road I'll try again, but screw Thrawn at 7, the other chars like R2, CLS, Yoda, Palpatine all easier at T7 fights-no joke.

If you can't do it at level 85, G9, and with mods--I'm assuming--somewhere in the neighborhood of mediocre, I'm guessing your strategy is at fault (that or you just aren't being persistent enough); I'll go ahead and quote advice I've given other people about Thrawn:
    I would try to get some better mods, but here I'll give you some pro-tips about the event itself (sounds like your strategy isn't too sound):

Kill Order: Deathtrooper x2 -> Stormtrooper Commander x2 -> Stormtrooper -> Thrawn

First: Avoid cleansing Stormtrooper until he actually uses his taunt--ideally, use Ezra's--the pre-taunt falls off in a turn whereas the used taunt holds for three (if you stun him before he can use it, and Thrawn doesn't use his cleanse/protection recovery on him, watch for it to fall off so you don't waste any more turns than absolutely necessary). If you kill him by wailing on him in the meantime, no big deal.

Second: Get rid of the buffs on both Deathtroopers--before you even try to kill one or the other--with either Zeb's special or either Chopper or Ezra's cleanse (note: avoid using Chopper's cleanse whenever possible, as it can feed Thrawn's team turn-meter from the resisted effects). Once you've done that, kill whichever one is lower on health/protection (some people will prioritize killing the one that just used its AoE if one used it and the other didn't).

From here it's really just a matter of managing how much damage you're taking--BUP, protection up specials, applying offense down, juggling taunts--and clean up duty. Take out one STC then the other--if one gets dazed whack him with Zeb until he's stunned so you don't have to worry about him healing his buddy--and then the ST if he's still up--the last thing you want is for him to taunt just as you're beating on Thrawn--then you can focus down Thrawn. Use Kanan to apply Offense Down on Thrawn whenever the opportunity arises; follow your instincts on using BUP, if you have no instincts to speak of use it on whoever is Fractured; Chopper's taunt is superior to Kanan's in this event, use it.

And phrased slightly differently (in the event it makes more sense this way):

Kill order should be DT -> STC -> ST -> Thrawn; you can remove Deathtrooper's buff (which makes them hurt a lot) with Zeb's special or either Chopper or Ezra's cleanse; Chopper's cleanse is a double-edged sword and can feed Thrawn's team turnmeter; wait until the Stormtrooper actually uses his taunt before cleansing it; consider relying on counters to spread daze/stun with Zeb, and use assists on Kanan to apply offense down on Thrawn (makes his damage much more survivable); focus on survival and apply BUP judiciously (most advice says on the fractured character, but sometimes they ignore them and focus-fire one of your other dudes instead).
  • Options
    I agree with most of the posters here. I did it at lvl 80 with gear 8 on most, and 9 on a couple. It's possible, but RNG helps a lot.
  • Options
    I agree with most of the posters here. I did it at lvl 80 with gear 8 on most, and 9 on a couple. It's possible, but RNG helps a lot.

I find that extremely hard to believe. At 80 with gear 10 Ezra and the rest g9/8 I simply lacked the damage to come anywhere NEAR close to winning. I tried several times with several strats, but i got spanked regardless. Maybe if you had amazing mods and ALL of their abilities omega'd , but any F2P at level 80 has maybe a .2% chance of beating the 7*, and I'm talking about a level 80 player, not a year+ old level 85 account with much better mods to put on their level 80 phoenix.
  • Options
    I did it as a level 80 player with Ezra at gear 9 and the rest at gear 8 with 3 omegas. It took me most of the weekend but I was able to clear it and mythic tier 1 the first try after.
  • Options
    @ Hoffman
    Personally i haven't tried event b4 85 but i had insane luck on last day of it few months back, october i think, but for example now doing mythic event with spare speed mods on squad using sabine over choper i finished it with 3 stars but for 1st like 30+ attempts i didn't reach once to have thrawn alone. Maybe few times with only Ezra alive around 40% hp and that's it. So rng jesus has to be on your side from start till the end, best of luck and keep trying and yes you need omega on all unique not basic abilities, and potency helps a lot on zeb to spread daze's.
    Just a note i ddin't gear phoenix since i unlocked Thrawn 7* just rounded up mods because of asault event to beat tier 3 sidius nothing more and as sad those are spare mods i would otherwise sell or use on some unused chars so speed set with like few mods with 3-5 speed secondaries etc.
  • Trystan_Spyder
    1300 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I find that extremely hard to believe. At 80 with gear 10 Ezra and the rest g9/8 I simply lacked the damage to come anywhere NEAR close to winning. I tried several times with several strats, but i got spanked regardless. Maybe if you had amazing mods and ALL of their abilities omega'd , but any F2P at level 80 has maybe a .2% chance of beating the 7*, and I'm talking about a level 80 player, not a year+ old level 85 account with much better mods to put on their level 80 phoenix.

Beat it, level 79. Gear 8-10, omega ezra and zeb basic. Not even amazing mods. Speeds 140-200.
    My SWGOH.GG is in my sig, and my Phoenix are in the same state as they were when I won (besides leveling to 80 and putting Omega on Hera leader)
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options

If you're having issues at damage you need to look at your ability levels: start with Ezra's unique--if you don't have the omega materials to max it out it should be at least level 7--then the basic and special attacks of everyone else (Chopper never really hits hard so feel free to disregard him).
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

If you're having issues at damage you need to look at your ability levels: start with Ezra's unique--if you don't have the omega materials to max it out it should be at least level 7--then the basic and special attacks of everyone else (Chopper never really hits hard so feel free to disregard him).

Chopper has an increasing chance to reduce cooldowns via his basic so it's still useful.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Chopper has an increasing chance to reduce cooldowns via his basic so it's still useful.

With a finite number of ability materials, and his primary concern being damage, I'd go for the harder-hitting abilities first. Though, if you get Chopper's unique omega'd, it's certainly worth investing in his basic.
  • Options
    I managed to complete it without the standard team. I had to use Sabine instead of kanaan. And Sabine was only g7. Everyone else was g8/9 with chopper being g10. I put some left over good secondary mods on them getting all their speeds to 190-210+. I lost Sabine to thrawn but managed to complete it.
  • Options
    Guess I'll give it another shot, I have enough to finish their level 80 omega abilities
  • Options
    I did it! I tweaked my mods a bit but really it just boils down to RNG. Almost every fight started the same way, Thrawn would fracture someone and Zeb would eat a lot of crits right off the bat which left me with two characters needing backup plan, plus they usually had healing block. The last fight started with no crits and Kanan eating the fracture so I was able to control the tempo. I focused down the death troopers first, then the rest, only losing chopper about 3/4th the way in.

So in the end my squad looked like this,

Ezra G10/maxed abilities*
    Hera G9/maxed abilities*
    Chopper G9/no omegas
    Kanan G8/basic and intervene omega
    Zeb G8/Basic omega

*Maxed abilities up to level 80, doesn't include level 81 and above omega/zeta.

Also just using 'decent' mods, all health but all 5 dot and maxed. By decent I mean most speed secondary stats are +7-15 and I try to keep the primaries ideal, like +30 speed arrows and such.

So it's definitely possible, some might get it within the first few tries and some might have to try dozens of times, but definitely doable under 85.
  • Options
    Congratulations!

Good job!