Veterans drop rates

Drazhar
784 posts Member
Hello there!

I'm farming the two elders for Rey. And I've noticed a thing: I know about RNG and everything, but their drop rates are clearly different. It's almost impossible to deny. Chewie has a way better drop rate than Han.

Why?

Is it simply shallowness and poor programming? Or is there a valid reason?

Replies

• Options
    I would bet that it's still just RNG - I'm farming them too, and my luck seems to bounce back and forth between the two of them as far as drops go.

They're on really hard nodes though, and those are all pretty notorious for being fickle giving up shards.
  • DICE
    7 posts Member
    Options
    Howdy,

From what I’ve noticed with my veteran Han farm so far is that his shards are dropping exactly as often as expected. If you’re farming him without a refresh you should expect to see 3-4 shards per day. With a refresh that jumps to 6-7. Granted, I’m taking as an assumption that shards drop roughly 1/3 of the time in cantina nodes.

I’ve been farming him with a refresh daily and I’ve been getting 6/day pretty consistently.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    For 6 to 7 star i kept my guys in sync, once one was up by 10shards or so i swapped to the other. I was changing characters pretty consistently, so for me the drop rate was similar between them.
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm farming a star for each one in turn. Took me a few days to bring Chewie from 4 to 5 with 3 refreshes a day. Han has been farmed for the same amount of days and he's roughly 22/65. With 3 refreshes. I get like max 2 or 3 shards for each refresh, sometimes 1, sometimes even none. Chewie dropped way more. I don't think it's only a feeling, Han dropped way less shards. Maybe it's just bad luck, but the difference is very clear.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    In order to save yourself from the mental trauma of whether your perception of the rng is right or wrong; farm one at a time. You'll get there in the same time....or will you?
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Drazhar wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to deny.

And yet, logically, it's easy to deny.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I'm working on Chewie on my main and Han on my alt started the same time right when JTR event #2 started. Ironically both are sitting at Chewie-100/65 and han-102/65 because I'm not upgrading them until I hit the 7 star threshold so I would disagree they are coming up pretty equally for me
  • Options
    Reyalp wrote: »
    In order to save yourself from the mental trauma of whether your perception of the rng is right or wrong; farm one at a time.

This did make me chuckle lol :smiley:

But what's the mystery? Presumably different characters have different drop-rates. Chewie and Han are different characters, so...er...

• Options
    I agree. I do no refreshes and get on average 2 a day for Chewy. It was about the same for Han
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Presumably different characters have different drop-rates.

Why do you presume that?
  • Options
    I’ve been farming chewy shards for the past 1 1/2 months. Averaging 6+ shards a day doing 3 refreshes a day. Currently at 5/100 6*. I am completely f2p and haven’t spent any $. Already have done the same farm with Han and got same or even better results. You will get there just be patient.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ltsjustlan l Roster ~ swgoh.gg/p/479461123
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Options
    I found it to be equal in the end. I did 3 refreshes per day for about a week. Was averaging about 12 per day. I also simmed 4 at a time, no more- no less. Don’t know if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    I'm just now beginning this farm. It's gonna be a long summer....
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Because the drop rate is so low (about 30%), it's not as uncommon to go long stretches without a drop as you might think. You get 165 energy per day (45 + 5/hr x 24), for about 10 attempts without a refresh (165/16). The probability of going 0/10 is (1-.3)^10, or about 1 in 35.

Now you've got 265 shards to farm for each, for a total of 530. At a 30% drop rate, that's 1766 cantina battles you'll need to do (530÷.3). So with such large number of attempts, you'll be going 0/10 pretty often. It seems like you might just be happening to get those streaks on Han rather than Chewie.

I've farmed Capt Han, Deathtrooper, Sith Trooper and the vets from the 16e nodes, and they all seem to take the same amount of time, plus or minus a couple of days. Kinda like the stock market, you have to look at the long term rather than daily changes.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I've farmed Capt Han, Deathtrooper, Sith Trooper and the vets from the 16e nodes, and they all seem to take the same amount of time, plus or minus a couple of days.

Yep, which is why I'm baffled at the "presumably characters have different drop rates" comment above.
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Options
    While farming them I have never once gotten more than 3 Han shards from a refresh, so 7-8 attempts. I usually get 1-2. With Chewie I've gotten 7 shards out of 8 attempts 3 times in the last couple weeks. I usually get 3-4 though. The drop rates have to be different. There's no other explanation for the fact that farming Chewie took roughly half the time to farm Han.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Just confirmation bias. Many people have recorded the data and shown that drop rates work out to 1/3 for cantina.
  • Options
    My experience of it lately has been that Vet Han and Chewie have been consistently yielding 1 shard for every 7 simulations on average ( over the past two months of farming them) Where other characters like deathtrooper have yielded 1 shard per every 4 simulations, and Ezra Bridger 1 in 3
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    And you've tracked the data or just guessing?
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    The thread is quite old.
    I've farmed the vets and unlocked Rey as planned. Switched from CLS to JTR, bb8 293 speed, NAILED IT. Sorry for the salty thread, I was in that phase in which you have just started the vets and you can't see the end to their farming lol.
  • Options
    Drazhar wrote: »
    Hello there!

I'm farming the two elders for Rey. And I've noticed a thing: I know about RNG and everything, but their drop rates are clearly different. It's almost impossible to deny. Chewie has a way better drop rate than Han.

Why?

Is it simply shallowness and poor programming? Or is there a valid reason?

I disagree. I found Han to have significantly better drops, and I farmed them both from 3 stars. So, RNG in the end.