Minor Accounts have to be addressed...

Im not particularly cynical, but if a minor is too young to be exposed to the heavily moderated and extremely limited in-game chat, then they don’t need to be allowed in guilds at all, or have access to spending money. Guild recruiting is hard enough without most of our walk-ons getting booted because the never know we have a 24-h rule (for example).

And the really talking th g is that it’s a very hard position for you to defend. It feels like you are all about protecting the little ones, except when it comes to letting them join a guild which will keep them in the game and give them more to spend on. If protecting them is more important than making money, restrict them guilds.

AT THE LEAST, as a guild leader I should know before I take on a recruit. Or give us some canned communication that a minor could see. Give us SOMETHING. Hell, we have a guy in discord who is stuck on a minor account and he has no formal way of changing it (and please don’t post ways for him to reset his phone and change it- we know, it isn’t the point, the point is he shouldn’t have to jump through hoops and worry he will lose his account data).

Please solve this, it’s an easy one.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's a requirement and enforced on the OS side, that is why they have to jump through hoops to change it. I'm not sure they can really change anything involving going from a minor -> adult account.

100% they should have a canned set of messages, but that wont help with raid rules, as those are guild specific and it would be hard for them to keep up on what each guild would consider a "standard message"

I'm not too hopeful they will address this with the upcoming chat update, but there is a chance they may.

A minor account not being allowed into the guild will never happen as they will never limit someone's gameplay.
  • Options
    They are limiting their gameplay.

What makes you think his has something to do with the OS?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    FN_0914 wrote: »

What makes you think his has something to do with the OS?

The asking for an age requirement has to do with IAP agreements. The data is then stored on the device which is why uninstalling and reinstalling the game doesn't do anything.

The dev team is no limiting their gameplay, other players are. The forums are a pretty open aspect of the community and many players have found homes through this.
  • Jeric
    271 posts Member
    Options
    It's a complicated situation. Depending on your interpretation of various laws, you need different systems for minors, yet also have to be careful to make sure you don't gate them out of age appropriate content.

The 24 hour rule is technically not a developer driven criteria so that really can't manage legal issues to that. It's best to look at a in-game enhancement that allows for better visibility of rules, or allow for that sort of automation. With the implementation of Starter Guilds having some automation built in, it may be the foundation for these sort of enhancements.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    FN_0914 wrote: »

They are limiting their chat options, yes, but not their gameplay. Minor accounts have full access to all game modes — individual as well as guild—based.

• thomssi
    526 posts Member
    Options
    Raid rules vary but most revolve around post zero for first 24 hours. People add stuff on top (ours has if you can solo don't post for 30 mins) but just the basic one as a canned message would likely stop people being kicked so often.

You could also have a canned message "get on our discord server" (if they can see link in guild bit) or get on gg where people can post discord link. Ok, new chat is supposed to make external apps less needed (err right, we shall see....) but doesn't help minors.
  • FN_0914
    21 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    By introducing modes like raids and, especially, the territory contests, that require coordination and then not allowing them to chat, they ARE limiting their gameplay. They are just doing it in a way that doesn’t ease frustration... and that is frustrating.

I’m not suggesting they have any responsibility for the 24h rule or any other player-driven thing (that’s a separate issue). What I am saying is that 1) improving the visibility of these accounts for guild recruiting is a reasonable expectation 2) not having a way to fix an account that has been established is absolutely unacceptable.

And this idea that it’s a legal or OS issue is balderdash, otherwise this would be true of every game on the platform, and it isn’t. What may be true is that the limited tools they have developed do not allow them to address the situation in a way that is compliant with legal and OS requirements, butvthats on CG/EA. I’m a grown-up (and a developer)- tell me there’s no revenue in prioritizing a fix and, while I’ll call that out as terrible customer service and more than a little callous, I’ll accept it because it’s honest. But this load that you guys are shoveling on their behalf is nonsense.
  • Options
    I can’t get rid of the mol eliza tag or the minor account status my son set up. It’s actually quite limiting and horrible customer service on the part of CG. If you call they’ll tell you they can’t change it unless you get the right person. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to get to work and was quickly trying to fix another problem (TW button bug). But if you get the right person at customer service, they can help you. Unfortunately, most of them will give you the token response of, ‘you can’t change it.’
  • Options
    I can’t get rid of the mol eliza tag or the minor account status my son set up. It’s actually quite limiting and horrible customer service on the part of CG. If you call they’ll tell you they can’t change it unless you get the right person. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to get to work and was quickly trying to fix another problem (TW button bug). But if you get the right person at customer service, they can help you. Unfortunately, most of them will give you the token response of, ‘you can’t change it.’

It’s no different than when they claimed you couldn’t change OS and keep the same account. It was always possible, but required more manual work on their part. At least they improved that part. It’s time they fully fix this Mol Eliza issue now.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

Their customer service is actually right in this aspect. Can't change underage account on their end. You however can change it on your end by triggering the FTUE. @Marcwhite39