GM Yoda as an EP Counter?

Clash2Far
179 posts Member
edited April 2018
Looking at his leader ability, it seems like the TM gain and tenacity up could offer a very slight chance to compete against the current meta. Anyone tried this or am I dumb for even thinking it could work?

Edit: In case you wanted to know what it is -
Jedi gain
30% increased tenacity
30% tm on debuffs resist
Gain Tenacity up for 1 turn if debuffed

Thanks
Ally Code 285-115-111
Post edited by Clash2Far on

Replies

• Platzman
    284 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Jedi lack the offensive power. They need real heavy hitter. Else they would use their extra turns from Yoda Leader TM gain only to tickle sith trooper/sion...
  • Options
    Platzman wrote: »
    Jedi lack the offensive power. They need real heavy hitter. Else they would use their extra turns from Yoda Leader TM gain only to tickle sith trooper/sion...

Yeah my thought was the TM gain could allow enough survivability in the first few waves of attacks to give a zEzra / zHoda / GK and maybe Aayla to pick it apart little by little until Ezra is hitting hard from his O gain and Hoda has the entire team attacking together. This could entertain me until Jedi Luke is here and order has been restored to the force.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Just use Rex
  • Options
    The lead doesn't provide much else though. If there was more to it, it could be good. His lead is a nice counter to Sion, as when sion removes all buffs, he applied pain, which then provides tenacity up.
  • Options
    Drazz127 wrote: »
    The lead doesn't provide much else though. If there was more to it, it could be good. His lead is a nice counter to Sion, as when sion removes all buffs, he applied pain, which then provides tenacity up.

Yeah that’s the interesting part to me. Is that Vader goes, everyone gets tenacity up and start resisting the DN / EP debuffs. Sion goes last usually so they should have gotten a bunch of TM from whatever they resisted after the first round of debuffs.

Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Just use Rex

Booooring. :smile:
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Clash2Far wrote: »
    Just use Rex

I've been using thrawn lead with tarkin, deathtrooper, visas, and rex to counter EP. Nothing boring about that team. At least imo.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Yoda is a Palpatine check, but not really a counter, and less for his lead than for Battle Meditation.

Lack of offense is the Jedi's fatal flaw. The main Jedi team that has some legs is to the effect of zQui Gon lead, GM Yoda, Ezra, General Kenobi, and either zBarriss or Hermit Yoda. It does alright, but not great, unfortunately, mainly out of a lack of stopping power.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Just use Rex

I've been using thrawn lead with tarkin, deathtrooper, visas, and rex to counter EP. Nothing boring about that team. At least imo.

I thought you were saying Rex lead. I like that set up though.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Yoda is a Palpatine check, but not really a counter, and less for his lead than for Battle Meditation.

Lack of offense is the Jedi's fatal flaw. The main Jedi team that has some legs is to the effect of zQui Gon lead, GM Yoda, Ezra, General Kenobi, and either zBarriss or Hermit Yoda. It does alright, but not great, unfortunately, mainly out of a lack of stopping power.

It feels like the massive TM gain is at the core of what makes EP / DV so unstoppable. The extra foresight is nice but feels like it’s only useful in slowing down your inevitable demise vs actually giving you a chance to get some momentum and TM of your own with the lead.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    It works very well, but it's no good vs JTR. Have to switch to palp lead myself for that.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    It feels like the massive TM gain is at the core of what makes EP / DV so unstoppable. The extra foresight is nice but feels like it’s only useful in slowing down your inevitable demise vs actually giving you a chance to get some momentum and TM of your own with the lead.
    ...which is why Jedi end up losing to Palpatine teams. I just listed one of the few solid teams. But yeah, the current meta counters it hard. The current meta just crushes Jedi into the dirt.
    Still not a he.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Just use Rex

I use Thrawn, DT, ST, Krennic and Tarkin. When's thrawn's faster, EP teams don't have a chance. If they have Raid Han, and he decides to hit Thrawn first, I'm in trouble.

That's why rex is nice. He can clear that stun and boost TM, and get you back in the fight.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    ...which is why Jedi end up losing to Palpatine teams. I just listed one of the few solid teams. But yeah, the current meta counters it hard. The current meta just crushes Jedi into the dirt.

And his crackling doom is pecking away at their health every turn too. Really wish they would rework Jedi...
  • StarSon
    7443 posts Member
    Options
    Platzman wrote: »

GM Yoda is also completely useless, even in their new shiny raid where he's a "Galactic Hero."
  • SeanutB
    482 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Jedi will basically be killing themselves anyway, they lose hp each turn they take because of EP unique.
  • Options
    SeanutB wrote: »
    Jedi will basically be killing themselves anyway, they lose hp each turn they take because of EP unique.

Dang. Forgot about that. Rough

Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Options
    AnhaldT 101 made a vid about this and it didn't work
  • Clash2Far
    179 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DarthGugel wrote: »
    AnhaldT 101 made a vid about this and it didn't work

Oh shoot I hadn’t seen that. I’ll look it up. Thanks for the heads up.

Aaaand, found it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZLaW4zyPM

Post edited by Clash2Far on
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Options
    ZQgj Ezra GMY HY GK
    with the team of the video it is possible to beat teams with weak sions or sith trooper/shoretrooper. The key in this strategy to take out sion right at the start. Actually in the video I made a mistake by attacking Sion with HY's assist call. I usually go for palpatine with the assist call, then tena up with GMY, then swarm Sion with Ezra and GK. In some lucky cases when GMY gets called to assist twice it is possible that it can take another turn after its tena up call. Anyhow, if Sion is removed, the game is won. Of course only in attack. However, if there is another tank, or Sion has just too much protection (7* sions basically) then it is mission impossible.
    Others are using Old Ben what can work with its TM removal.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I would think there's a ton of teams that can take out teams with weak toons though...
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    humarcika wrote: »

That's the slowest EP team I've seen by far.... Also zQGJ teams just don't work on defense. No human is going to Force Crush right into foresight. JTR teams will walk all over it. Rex teams will easily beat it. Rebels will beat it. It might be able to win on offense against a team with worse mods, and potentially better mods, but it will not hold in the least so it's really not worth running as a counter.
  • Options
    ZQgj Ezra GMY HY GK
    with the team of the video it is possible to beat teams with weak sions or sith trooper/shoretrooper. The key in this strategy to take out sion right at the start. Actually in the video I made a mistake by attacking Sion with HY's assist call. I usually go for palpatine with the assist call, then tena up with GMY, then swarm Sion with Ezra and GK. In some lucky cases when GMY gets called to assist twice it is possible that it can take another turn after its tena up call. Anyhow, if Sion is removed, the game is won. Of course only in attack. However, if there is another tank, or Sion has just too much protection (7* sions basically) then it is mission impossible.
    Others are using Old Ben what can work with its TM removal.

Thanks for the video and for this breakdown! Your strat makes sense in terms of priority also. In your opinion, the GMY lead isn’t viable over the QGJ lead? I get the speed + power really helps Ezra get rolling and the foresight can mitigate a lot of the debuffs but does that mean the leader with TM / Tenacity Up doesn’t make much sense?
    Thanks again. Really great vid.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Options
    hi all, well yes i admit that this is flawed in a lot of regards, in defense they are useless and are not even the best if offense. It is just a fun way to beat palp teams. I had beaten stronger opponents actually what there are in the video, but as i had said, it will not beat the top teams.
    Yoda lead is promising but it will not give an offensive boost which is very much desired for the jedi. also the speed from qgj is excellent. I cannot spend a zeta unfortunately to try GMY lead out. Also, it will not stand a chance against jtr and rex either i guess.
    What has to be seen here however, is that Jedi havenot been touched for a very long time. No wonder they are not competitive. And who knows what is to come? Old republic era Sith are present, we might see similar Jedi, and also reworks, possibly to GMY. But at the moment, this is as good as it gets.

On the other hand, if you are thinking anti-meta, consider trying ROLO. Her lead with the proper characters will also beat the current meta.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    hi all, well yes i admit that this is flawed in a lot of regards, in defense they are useless and are not even the best if offense. It is just a fun way to beat palp teams. I had beaten stronger opponents actually what there are in the video, but as i had said, it will not beat the top teams.
    Yoda lead is promising but it will not give an offensive boost which is very much desired for the jedi. also the speed from qgj is excellent. I cannot spend a zeta unfortunately to try GMY lead out. Also, it will not stand a chance against jtr and rex either i guess.
    What has to be seen here however, is that Jedi havenot been touched for a very long time. No wonder they are not competitive. And who knows what is to come? Old republic era Sith are present, we might see similar Jedi, and also reworks, possibly to GMY. But at the moment, this is as good as it gets.

On the other hand, if you are thinking anti-meta, consider trying ROLO. Her lead with the proper characters will also beat the current meta.

Yeah, I might've been a bit more harsh than I meant to be, but GMY is just no counter to EP teams. I've actually had a ton of fun running ROLO, Chaze, zzCLS, zzR2 against EP teams and it's pretty dang effective on offense. The main problem is on defense the AI still just can't prioritize who to stun or take out first, which isn't a problem the sith suffer from as most of their opening moves are just AOEs.