Disgusted with mods

So tired of burning through hundreds of crystals a day in mod challenges and refreshing the store in order to get decent mods. It is the ever so rare occasion that one pops up in the store with the primary that I’m looking for and the secondary that is desired. Then after spending almost 4 mil credits on a gold mod, with four chances for it to roll, NOTHING. This has happened several times. Something must be done about the RNG.

Replies

• Options
    This is totally wai, they want you to get so mad that you spend more money.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You cant rush mods. They are a very long term project.

• DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Truer words were nevet spoken. I was firmly convinced they did a silent nerf of the speed secondary, until the other day I had one upgrade to 20. Mods, etc are basically end game content. If it was easier to obtain desired mods you would get bored and wander off. I am not a fan of this but from a game development stand point it makes a degree of sense. You can complete the LS/DS nodes with meh mods. Zeta is more important in the higher nodes.

Another thing I have noticed is there are different stats dropping. Percents instead of hard numbers. At first I thought they were junk but out of curiosity I played with them. Guess what? They were worth working with! 4% Potency for example, coupled with a 24% Potency plus mod, and a few more minor Potency secondaries and my hero had 75% overall potency. Now I will be the first to admit I have a lot to learn on the stats, but it has made a diffetence in some of my heroes. Jury is still out, but this could be promising.
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • Options

Don’t you really mean long term $$$$$$$$$ for EA
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    5FDP10101 wrote: »

Don’t you really mean long term $$$$$$$$$ for EA

only if you want to speed them up. thats how it works, because just like the real world in this game time=$$
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    You can get good mods without spending money. You just have to be patient. This is a game of slow progression and long farms and probabilities. You're being impatient and wasting resources foolishly. That is your decision, not EA's.
    Still not a he.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The 1st 2 days when mods were released, i bought a vault amd refreshed thru 800 crystals simming for mods. That was a LONG time ago.

To date, I have 2 x +20 speed secondaries, 3 x +19, 4 x + 18 and it goes down from there. In all this time, I haven't gotten as many +16 or better speed secondaries as I got those 1st 2 days.

Just like geargate so long ago, or the 1 opportunity to max out 1 skill on 1 ship in your fleet...u have to move fast or it's impossible to catch up.

I learned and I am all-in on any new content in a flash.
  • Options
    I don't waste crystals on mod refreshes. Much easier to just wait and see what comes up. If there's a good one and i have enough credits that aren't better spent elsewhere i buy it. Crystals are better spent elsewhere. You only get so may credits a week anyway. In the long scheme of things getting your mods the day of a credit heist or a few days later won't change anything. And not wasting hundreds of crystals on refreshes and getting gear or shards you neeed instead will help yoy more. If you save credits for them you'll still get them. And you can always use the crystals for cantina refreshes to farm mods. At least then you get credits and cantina currency if you come up empty and if you get a good one you don't waste 3 mil credits on it. And if they are all **** sell them for credits and you basically farmed credits which are always needed.
  • Options

Truer words were nevet spoken. I was firmly convinced they did a silent nerf of the speed secondary, until the other day I had one upgrade to 20. Mods, etc are basically end game content. If it was easier to obtain desired mods you would get bored and wander off. I am not a fan of this but from a game development stand point it makes a degree of sense. You can complete the LS/DS nodes with meh mods. Zeta is more important in the higher nodes.

Another thing I have noticed is there are different stats dropping. Percents instead of hard numbers. At first I thought they were junk but out of curiosity I played with them. Guess what? They were worth working with! 4% Potency for example, coupled with a 24% Potency plus mod, and a few more minor Potency secondaries and my hero had 75% overall potency. Now I will be the first to admit I have a lot to learn on the stats, but it has made a diffetence in some of my heroes. Jury is still out, but this could be promising.

You can mod at level 50. That's not exactly end-game.
  • Rapid
    421 posts Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late to this but I agree with the sentiment. RNG on mods is probably the most frustrating thing in the entire game but it's horrid for a reason, which is that it's intentionally difficult to get good ones, otherwise everyone would have super fast teams.

Believe me I've been burned. when the mod store changed I spent over 100m credits and only got 2 mods that rolled over 14 speed. A complete joke but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Rapid wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this but I agree with the sentiment. RNG on mods is probably the most frustrating thing in the entire game but it's horrid for a reason, which is that it's intentionally difficult to get good ones, otherwise everyone would have super fast teams.

Believe me I've been burned. when the mod store changed I spent over 100m credits and only got 2 mods that rolled over 14 speed. A complete joke but it is what it is.

I really don't think the RNG is out to get you. First off, if it is truly a Random Number Generator (which it isn't, because that is a computational nightmare), the following math holds:

Expectation of the number of times a gold mod will upgrade a given stat (speed for instance) upon leveling to 12 = 1

This is because the chance of upgrading a stat at each upgrade level is 25%, and taking 1 as a success of the stat upgrading and 0 as a failure, we have that:

.25 * 1 + .25 * 1 + .25 * 1 + .25 * 1 = 1

This is from basic probability theory.

Now, the odds of having a gold mod not upgrade the the value you want at a given upgrade level is 75%. Thus, we have that the chance of a gold mod never upgrading the value you want (speed for instance) is:

.75^4 = .31640625

To sum it up, there is roughly a 32% chance your mod never upgrades your desired stat.

Now before you say, "But you silly goose!!! This is nonsense since you said they can't be using a true Random Number Generator," the Pesudorandom Number Generators that are used are very computationally efficient, easy to implement, and "essentially" random. Unless you want super secure encryption, there is little difference between one of these generators and true randomness, and there is no reason CG would implement their own Pseudorandom Number Generator when there are so many good ones out there.

All-in-all, you may have had rotten luck, but its not because the RNG is horrid. Remember that each mod is its own event (in terms of the probability) and that just because you have had poor luck, doesn't mean that you will all of a sudden have good luck. Flipping 10,000 tails in a row still leaves you with a 50-50 chance of getting a heads on your next flip; things are only GUARANTEED to tend to averages when working abstractly. Otherwise, in practice, you expect things to tend to averages, but that doesn't always mean it will happen.

Happy mod farming :)
  • Options

True enough. My point was the search for the best of the best mods really isn't relevant until you no longer need them (end game).
  • Options

You can't get 5 dot mods at lvl 50. I think the point was that accumulating top level mods so you can have them across multiple teams without switching is "end-game"* content. Sure, you can have 5 really good mods in the short-term, but to have all your toons dialed in just right takes a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn (ok I'll stop)g time.

*personally I hate the term "end-game"
  • Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

You can't get 5 dot mods at lvl 50. I think the point was that accumulating top level mods so you can have them across multiple teams without switching is "end-game"* content. Sure, you can have 5 really good mods in the short-term, but to have all your toons dialed in just right takes a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn (ok I'll stop)g time.

Force of habit (end game). One real issue is players like myself that have played since launch, have bigger rosters, and better mods because things are different now, compared to then. I have a lot of double digit speed mods for example, many today have yet to outfit one squad with similar mods. Power creep, or whatever is the popular term to use today, is rampant and getting worse. My original comment was intended to mean, of all the problems in game, mods are not the cure all. Just a symptom of a much larger issue.
  • Options

Force of habit (end game). One real issue is players like myself that have played since launch, have bigger rosters, and better mods because things are different now, compared to then. I have a lot of double digit speed mods for example, many today have yet to outfit one squad with similar mods. Power creep, or whatever is the popular term to use today, is rampant and getting worse. My original comment was intended to mean, of all the problems in game, mods are not the cure all. Just a symptom of a much larger issue.

Agreed
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options

That's no longer true. The new Marquee events now give out 5 dot mods even if you're level 27. You just can't see/upgrade them till you're 50.
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

That's no longer true. The new Marquee events now give out 5 dot mods even if you're level 27. You just can't see/upgrade them till you're 50.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I guess I have to change it to "farm" 5 dot mods.
  • Options
    I feel your pain.. hoping my luck turns around soon.. the last 3 days, 3 cantina refreshes and got 1 mod that was above white, and it didn't even have a speed secondary
  • Options
    I feel your pain.. hoping my luck turns around soon.. the last 3 days, 3 cantina refreshes and got 1 mod that was above white, and it didn't even have a speed secondary

I tracked 300 mod pulls. Based on this sample size you have about a 3% chance to pull a 5 dot mod with a speed secondary visible (green, blue, or gold mod). the game is the grind, the grind is the game... :(