party advice to succeed at L9 Hard and consistently finish Galactic March?

I've read a lot of the general suggestions on the board, and watched the youtube videos (and followed recommendations), but I can never seem to get past the last couple of nodes on GM, and cant even begin L9 hard.

With this in mind, I was looking for some help and feedback on who/which teams I should really work on at this point. Let me preface this by saying I am only on F2P, but I really enjoy this game and play it daily.

Currently my goal is to try to finish the light side/dark side battles, and also have a better chance to finish the galactic war. Here is my gg account: https://swgoh.gg/u/patrich9/collection/

https://swgoh.gg/u/patrich9/collection/

This is the party I am using and it (with luck) can get me to the second or final node of the galactic war:
  • Barriss Offee (leader)
  • Biggs Darklighter
  • Wedge Antilles
  • Chirrut Imwe
  • Baze Malbus

Using the same party as above, I can get to rank 9/hard of the light side battles, but cannot even begin to touch the even the FIRST challenge node without suffering an embarassing defeat with full party wipe.

Can anyone offer up any pointers (aside from just keeping to farm and build this team up)? I know Baze and Chirrut still have a ways to go to get full stars (especially baze), which was why I wanted to try to get to “Light L9-Hard#3” so I could hopefully beat it and then sim it daily until I have him built up.

Should I take another route entirely (like maybe just focusing on phoenix squad, or different characters entirely?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Replies

• XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    First step - Wedge lead (important)

Second step - get a friend with General Kenobi, CLS, Jyn Erso or Ackbar (in that order, as best a G12 Kenobi with speedy mods can make all very easy)

Third step at very least all G9 - maybe even better to get G10.

After this your team should be able to beat it!
  • Yerff_Caasi
    736 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My advice can be summed up in one word: Phoenix.

Phoenix squad has a lot of survivability, and I find they are fantastic in Galactic War. They can take you all the way to the end most days, and if they only make it through Node 11, your other team should be able to finish it off.

I also just 3-starred all the L9 hard nodes myself. The key for me was to use Phx, and to have a lot of high-powered CLS allies. Preferably a CLS with a zeta leadership. If you can find someone who will be your ally with this toon, and then you have a decently geared Phx, you should be able to complete the nodes, and maybe even 3-star them like I did.

Phx also gets you Thrawn, so the grind is worthwhile.

All that said, I never attempted GW or L9 hard with the toons you're using (I don't even have most of them!), so it's possible that a little more work would make that crew work out for you, and I wouldn't know. But no amount of work on those toons will get you Thrawn, and Thrawn is a killer toon.

P.S., if you go with Phx, you have a lot of work ahead of you, but here's a great guide to farm them (at least their shards), really quick:
    https://youtu.be/D5DcwKESHdo
    Also, Phx will easily get you 7* Palp as well.
    "Don't take yourself so serious; it's a game, have fun!" • https://swgoh.gg/u/yerffcaasi/
  • Options
    Yeah barris is a terrible lead for that squad. Run wedge lead, biggs, chirrut and baze, and maybe gear fulcrum up, and borrow a CLS or gk
  • Options
    For GW, using your whole roster helps a lot. I run two main squads with a third in-case-of-emergencies squad prepped.

On your first four nodes, use as many characters as possible so you can pre-load their TM. This will help if you have to use them on the last couple of nodes because your squad will go first.

Looking at your roster, I'd run these squads:
    Wedge (L), Biggs, Chirrut, Baze, Fulcrum. On an early node, take out Chirrut and Baze and throw in STHan and Leia to pre-load their TM.

Gear up EP and run EP (L), Vader, Tarkin, Dooku, and Sidious

Then as your backup squad: Boba, Rey, Barriss, Kylo, and Lumi.

Try to run all three squads plus the other Wiggs configuration on the first four nodes. If all of those toons have pre-loaded TM, you can match them up against your opponents selectively, and you can do things like throw Boba into your Wiggs or Sith squads if you need an AOE block (useful against Nightsisters, for example) or use Leia instead of Fulcrum for extra crit damage to kill someone quickly.

Don't worry about healing - Wedge lead heals Rebels and EP lead heals Sith.
  • Wardai
    252 posts Member
    Options
    My gw strategy (if you want to use it), Phoenix as trash clearers like the teams that are easy cleanups and you shouldn't suffer losses even if you run basic auto and my empire team (also my arena team) to deal with any of the big guns (lvl 85 semi/full legit teams) that pop up.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    For GW Wedge lead, Biggs, Han Solo, Chirrut and Baze will make it through all nodes. To be safe, you can start the first few nodes by rotating other toons in instead of Chaze to load them with turn meter just in case.... Palpatine, Vader, Rey, Boba etc. are good for this.

For L9 hard nodes borrowing CLS helps immensely. Wedge lead, Biggs and Han Solo do well. Lando on the team would have been great, but I see, that you don't have him unlocked. Han's stun comes in handy for stunning the biggest threats in each wave, f.ex. Boba Fett in the last wave of 9b.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Definitely switch to Wedge lead. Consider swapping out Barriss for someone else. For LS-9, as someone said, consider borrowing a good ally with Jyn, CLS, Kenobi, or Ackbar (I have all those, btw).

For GW, make sure in the early nodes you take turns swapping in characters from other teams, only using basics on the swapped character (or otherwise ending off cooldown). Then you have a team ready for the later nodes not only with full protection, but also preloaded turn meter.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Also switch to Wedge lead in arena with that team. You could try Fulcrum or Boba for a fifth.

You should also improve your mod situation. Get Jawas to 5* g7 with any mods so you can sim 5 dot crit damage, get your scoundrels to a point where they can get crit chance (you can do highest tier of credit heist, I hope?), and get Empire to where they can do potency, and 7 star so they can snag R2.

You also need to get at least 5* Resistance for speed mod challenge. As someone mentioned, you should also invest in Phoenix.

That's a lot of teams, but pick one to start. You should only be farming 5-dot mods, and you need more than just health. Only level up colored mods that have speed secondaries showing (or arrow speed primary of any color) and sell the rest for credits.
  • Random9
    510 posts Member
    Options
    Put Wedge in the lead slot, gear them more.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Two big things you can do to improve your odds of finishing Galactic War:
    1) Farm Resistance. Zeta Finn is still one of the most ridiculously good characters in the game, and will trivialize Galactic War even at low gear.

2) Build a second team--almost any second team--and use them for the bulk of the Galactic War.

If you use your main team for node 1, you'll usually finish with almost all of your protection intact, and with banked turn meter. Use them, then bench them for your second team to get you through the 8-9 easy nodes. That way you will have your main team fresh and ready for the final hard nodes.

If you can build a third team, go for it. Before I started using Resistance I had one main team and three sub-teams, nearly all were g7 or g8, except the main team that was mostly g9. So when I say "build a team" I don't mean get a mortgage on your house and buy a bunch of stuff :P Then I switched to Resistance and would just breeze through wars; now I just sim it all.

Good luck!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    FWIW, with light side 9 what I did was zeta Qui-Gon Jin lead, zeta Barriss in my squad, and borrowed a friend's Old Ben (before his rework, so non-zeta, non-taunting). Qui-Gon gives you all foresight at the start of the fight, a Pirate uses their AoE and Old Ben's leader ability kicks in, filling up your turn meter. You alpha strike a pirate that hasn't gone yet, kill it, get foresight back up, and then repeat. Once you're past the first wave it's still challenging, but because you have banked turn meter (just like in Galactic War! :D ) you'll be fine.

It'd be even easier now, since Old Ben has that taunt of his and if an Ally Slot character dies you can still get 3*.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    Okay just tried today Hard nodes with my second account

Phoenix g9 7* lvl76 - 80 - one omega only for ezra unique, rest is mixed skill level 4 - 7
    Mods protection on tanks, speed between 0 and 48 (so really nothing special at all)

Used from other account the CLS g12 (about 50 speed - really so nothing special) and it worked all fine. Pretty easy in first try.

Phoenix is nice for Thrawn, Emperor event, good for GW and TW

Easy to farm and a solid team - just dont await to use them in arena unless you got them zeta'd and superb mods.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Grats!
    But of all the uniques to omega, Ezra's is NOT the first I would pick.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    Ezra is the one you can use literally everywhere - and its just 5 omegas. But there is never just one way to Rome - isnt it like this? Thats fine for me :)
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    XKurareX wrote: »
    Ezra is the one you can use literally everywhere

Until they give him a DS tag to complement his LS tag, and also give him all the faction tags for all the faction-specific events, you literally cannot use him everywhere. :p
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • XKurareX
    478 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    XKurareX wrote: »
    Ezra is the one you can use literally everywhere

Until they give him a DS tag to complement his LS tag, and also give him all the faction tags for all the faction-specific events, you literally cannot use him everywhere. :p

Hahaha yes of course thats true. But I meant more like - can use him in a lot of places quite well :)
  • Options
    OP here

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their feedback above. I didn’t realize what a HUGE difference changing out my leader would make, as well as all the smaller tweaks all of you suggested.

I have since started to reliably complete GW (FINALLY!!) and have started building up my PHX squad to take on the battles.

Thanks again, you guys rock!
  • Options
    For GW, using your whole roster helps a lot. I run two main squads with a third in-case-of-emergencies squad prepped.

On your first four nodes, use as many characters as possible so you can pre-load their TM. This will help if you have to use them on the last couple of nodes because your squad will go first.

Looking at your roster, I'd run these squads:
    Wedge (L), Biggs, Chirrut, Baze, Fulcrum. On an early node, take out Chirrut and Baze and throw in STHan and Leia to pre-load their TM.

Gear up EP and run EP (L), Vader, Tarkin, Dooku, and Sidious

Then as your backup squad: Boba, Rey, Barriss, Kylo, and Lumi.

Try to run all three squads plus the other Wiggs configuration on the first four nodes. If all of those toons have pre-loaded TM, you can match them up against your opponents selectively, and you can do things like throw Boba into your Wiggs or Sith squads if you need an AOE block (useful against Nightsisters, for example) or use Leia instead of Fulcrum for extra crit damage to kill someone quickly.

Don't worry about healing - Wedge lead heals Rebels and EP lead heals Sith.

This is good advice... before the galactic war rework (which made it a lot easier), it was essential to load teams with TM (turn meter). As previously stated, the first four nodes are the easiest so you use a different team in each round with the aim of having all your cool downs reset to zero and TM stacked. If you do this successfully when you use a team on a later level your characters will go first. The best teams for clearing GW are teams that gain TM from a zeta lead... finn z lead resistance, veers z troopers, palp z with empire. In my opinion zeta finn resistance is the best team for clearing a whole GW in one due to the mechanics of the TM gain from finn
  • Options
    Phoenix will get you the whole way.....mostly through GW. However they do not like BH squads or any high damage squads.

Hence you should have a debuff/high damage squad handy. I have a palp lead with empire and sith team that usually at least softens it up if not outright beats it.

Always good to have one or two solid second or third teams ready to go. Even if it's just to take Nihilus and Sion out. Those two being serious nuisances and very common at my current level.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • ZCD_9915
    356 posts Member
    Options
    Switch wedge to the leader and get a few really powerful ally for battles