Grind or $$

Kessel
posts Member
edited May 2018
I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize ahead of time to those who have heard the same complaints.
There seems to be a point where every player hits the wall and has to make a choice.
A. Do I keep going, grinding it out at a snails pace or do i spend a few dollars and gear my toons out faster.
B. If i do spend money, how much and how often?

The reality, im finding, is that the grind is way too slow and the amount you need to pay to stay competitive is way too high. Eventually players get too frustrated and just leave.
Solution:
This should be a monthly subscription based ie. $20.00 monthly, no more buying your way ahead of everyone else, and make the grind more bearable. That is to say, make gear, shards more easily attainable as well. The game is fun ! Stop fleecing your loyal fan base!

That's my opinion. What do you think is fair?

Replies

• Options
    Noooooooooo far too many pleayers are surviving with arena and fleet arena payouts. If you are skilful and smart you can spend some cash early on and create a decent arena team, once you start getting top 50+ and top 20+ in fleet then you can save some crystals and spend them wisely so you keep going without spending money. 20$ a month is an insane amount for someone who can barely pay their bills. I have been f2p for 10 months surviving exclusively with arena payouts, I have almost 20 gear 12s, Rey JT and I'm doing very well for free
  • Options
    This is actually one of the better ftp games out there. All you need is a little patience, as my old friend Axl once said.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    A subscription would kill the game. The game is probably 85% or more F2P.

If you think the game is worth $20 a month, why not invest that? That is more than enough to keep you going. Will you be a top player, no, but they are willing to pay more and/or have been playing longer.

The grind is the same and never changes. The only time you hit a point that you describe is when you think you need to be doing more and start spreading yourself too thin. The game is a grind, and it's a marathon pace.

The choice is yours, you feel you should be more competitive and dont want to wait. There is a solution to that, $$$. If you want to be competitive there are 2 solutions to that, time or $$. No one is forced to pay for anything, they have even committed to giving out toons on release to everyone, yes they are not as useful in all areas of the game but it's free. You want to unlock all the bells and whistles right away, $$, but that's a choice.
  • Options
    To the OP, the only person who can answer both of those questions, especially B, is yourself. If the game brings you enjoyment and you have the disposable income for it, why not? It's just up to yourself to fugue out how much money you have and want to spend on this mobile game.

When I was active duty (was dual military) we had plenty of money so being that I very rarely bought myself anything I would allocate about $25-$50 a pay period. So $50-$100 a month, but now separated and money being tighter, WHEN I do have some extra I may buy $20 worth of crystals and stretch that out as far as possible
  • Options
    No way, if you plan ahead and hoard the right resources, especially gear, you can be a competitive player and still be FTP throughout the meta changes.
  • Options
    This game caters to a diverse demographic. Children are unlikely to afford $20 a month. Most parents, I assume, would think they've lost their mind.

This game is well designed to allow people to enjoy content without having to pay. I agree that the gear walls are excessively frustrating, but there is still no point within the game that requires you to pay. Some guilds might, but never the developers.

Yes, people who have invested a lot of money into this game are months if not years ahead of me in roster development and event rewards, and I'm ahead of those that are solely FTP. Find an incremental amount that you're willing to pay and stick to it. For me, I invest $100* any time they do the 25% bonus crystal packs and that seems to work for me to alleviate some of the frustration.

*I did splurge once to get Visas 7* early