I lived through the NGE, and now this?

Prev1
It's been over 12 years, and I've barely put the NGE behind me. Playing another game with "Star Wars Galaxy" in the title has been a challenge, but I have warmed to this game.

And now this. This brutal update. Have you developers never heard of the NGE? Good heavens, men, do your homework!

Replies

• TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    I haven't.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    Options
    @HankShank , this is hardly a comparable event to what the SWG community experienced. That was a maelstrom effect that changed the entirety of the game. This is Ship 2.0, an aspect of the game long over-due for a rework, and has essentially been in development ever since it's launch almost a year and a half ago, right when they started receiving feedback about it. This game is in constant evolution. This QoL update brings more features and caters to more conveniences for guilds than it ever has in the past.

NGE turned SWG inside out, upside down, and completely restructured every player's conception of the game with an entirely different layout and method of gaming. It also cheated TONS of players out of the hard work they invested into their characters and building them for years, where new players could instantly just launch a new Jedi character.

I think your homework is more like an exaggerated, bias opinion, rather than a historical recollection of cause-and-effect facts.
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    HankShank wrote: »
    It's been over 12 years, and I've barely put the NGE behind me. Playing another game with "Star Wars Galaxy" in the title has been a challenge, but I have warmed to this game.

And now this. This brutal update. Have you developers never heard of the NGE? Good heavens, men, do your homework!

**** I miss SWG the NGE wasn't even that bad. By the end of the game it was really good again.

Aside from that, I dont get your comparison. Nothing has really changed all that drastically. 3 ships instead of 5 and now there are reinforcement bonuses. Big deal, you have to think a little more. If anything the old ships was NGE in that there was less strategy. This new system is like Pre CU, more thinking involved. Which reinforcement should I bring in? It's more like TK/brawler or TK/Doc
  • Jayne
    12 posts Member
    Options
    This thread is recalling some of my favorite game memories of all time. 2003-05

Tarquinas server
    Loralai Oolet
    Master weaponsmith, master smuggler
    Selling sliced krayt weapons outside of mos eisley
  • Bannarin
    77 posts Member
    Options
    Just so y’all know SWG Legends is up and running for you to take a long walk down memory lane, look me up if you do ;) ~Bannarin~
  • JACE13
    7 posts Member
    Options
    I miss my pre cu Jedi and DWB mando armor
  • Options
    Ok, so this was an exaggeration. The NGE was one of the worst things that happened in my life... and this terrible update to a game with a similar name set me off a little. But, make no mistake, while this update rises nowhere near the level of the NGE, it is still absolutely dreadful. We are left with a significantly worse game than we had a week ago.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Ok, so this was an exaggeration. The NGE was one of the worst things that happened in my life... and this terrible update to a game with a similar name set me off a little. But, make no mistake, while this update rises nowhere near the level of the NGE, it is still absolutely dreadful. We are left with a significantly worse game than we had a week ago.

A video game screwing up was one of the worst things that happened in your life? dang
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    The NGE was one of the worst things that happened in my life...

I envy the easy life you've apparently had so far.
  • Cahhmakt
    38 posts Member
    Options
    I died when the NGE hit. AS was never the same after that :(
  • Options
    Ahazi, Elder Jedi. I remember 31 became 9. Pre cu, best game then, or since.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

A video game screwing up was one of the worst things that happened in your life? dang

In the grand scheme, of course not. But it was a unique community. To many, it was their first MMO. I myself hated logging out. The community in game was so strong. Groups were 20 max. Typing all night while they played on different worlds. Weddings in game were like nothing I had ever seen. I was a craftsman as well, sitting in a cantina, making clothes, talking star wars, in walked Stormtroopers, blaster fire, light sabers. Guess you had to be there. Dancers healed death penalties received for defeats. Musicians as well. Doctors buffing players. Lines people waited for them in. I made doctor, 3 minutes later a Sith player messaged me. He was being hunted (pvp). I had to jump planets, and find him, he paid me 500k. But the thrill of the chase, etc.. plus me healing him made me overt and huntable. Yeah it was a game. But brother, what a game. Seeing Vader land in Theed, Stormtroopers fanning out, rebs going combatant and attacking. Crazy nights.

Op, I was there when the NGE hit. I feel ya.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

That's a fairly ignorant snap judgement. In contrast, maybe my life was so unimaginably bad that SWG was the only good thing sustaining me, and it was ripped out from under me?

That's not exactly the case, and the NGE was a RADICAL game redesign. It was like a totally different game one day.

This isn't that - this is just a game with a very similar name undergoing a pretty bad update, and a lot of hyperbole on my part.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

That's a fairly ignorant snap judgement. In contrast, maybe my life was so unimaginably bad that SWG was the only good thing sustaining me, and it was ripped out from under me?

That's not exactly the case, and the NGE was a RADICAL game redesign. It was like a totally different game one day.

This isn't that - this is just a game with a very similar name undergoing a pretty bad update, and a lot of hyperbole on my part.

Talking about SWG with veteran players, you receive one of two responses. Either happy to reminisce, or they refuse to discuss it. Some in between I suppose, but, generally that is the result. People that never played it, just don't get it. Even the CEO of SOE John Smedley admitted (2 years later, on their message boards) they goofed, really bad. A HUGE misconception is that the game failed. Even with the NGE fallout, it continued. The only reason it ended was LucasArts declined renewing their SW license in favor of SWTOR. Otherwise it might still be going. SWGEMU is a reverse engineered version that has been running since before SWG ended.

To those wondering what happened, I will try to be brief. Over night 31 professions were reduced to 9. The long mysterious path to unlock Jedi, became a class you could start with. Most had taken over a year to finish Jedi. But it was fun. Blended professions (Jedi with rifle skills anyone?) were gone. There was a lot more but you get the idea.

In SWGOH terms, imagine overnight mods and zetas were gone. GK came in Bronzium packs and you could max your roster in a month. Now, would you just say "It's a game who cares.. " Or would you be dialing your family legal counsel? Yep... thought so.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

In SWGOH terms, imagine overnight mods and zetas were gone. GK came in Bronzium packs and you could max your roster in a month. Now, would you just say "It's a game who cares.. " Or would you be dialing your family legal counsel? Yep... thought so.

it's a game, who cares. I mean, it would suck because i like the game, but it's still just a game.
  • Options

it's a game, who cares. I mean, it would suck because i like the game, but it's still just a game.

It's difficult for some to understand. I think the big thing was not the changes as much as the sense of betrayal the players felt. For many it was our first MMORPG, and you never forget your first or feel that way again. Perhaps that is why so many are jaded and distrustful of gaming studious. On the flip side, the developer that created the NGE received terrible threats. "It's just a game" is really not a good analysis. To many passions run deep. I learned it can all go to crap overnight. Nothing you can do but move on. I play several games, if one fails, I wave good bye and move on. I was lucky in one respect, I met my a very special lady playing SWG. Even married in game. We're still together :)
  • Options
    And, again, what if the game is the ONLY thing you have going in your life? What if you are terminally ill and sitting in a hospital ward with no legs? It's amazing how little understanding of the world some people can have.
  • Options

And, again, what if the game is the ONLY thing you have going in your life? What if you are terminally ill and sitting in a hospital ward with no legs? It's amazing how little understanding of the world some people can have.

It's obviously a trigger for you. Trust me I get it. Like Joss Whedon said about Firefly being cancelled "I'm not bitter. But I can access it".
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Deleted, not worth it.
  • PiffGuru
    773 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

That was a fun read, wasnt aware of that game, back in those days I was playing D2 and gothic religiously I think.

But on the topic of the OP, I dont see the comparison at all. Where is this gigantic game altering feature in this game? Ships 2.0? seriously its not that different, just a slight tweak to a highly neglected portion of this game which now makes me want to do ship battles to learn the new skills rather than just auto 1 ship battle a day.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

my response would be the same "dang". How you chose to interpret that "dang" is up to you.
    For me it's just a game, if ea/cg pulls the plug on swgoh today it certainly won't be one of the worst things that happened in my life. He asked, i awnsered. To some people games simply aren't that important. I'll just find something else to do in my spare time.
    Also, imagine for a second you just lost your wife and kids in a car accident and you see a person on a forum say that an update to a game is one of the worst things that happened to his life. Now who has little understanding of the world?
  • Options
    On that note I'm out of here. ./SaberSalute !
  • Options

I'd take a video game screw up as the worst thing in my life any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • Options
    What is NGE and SWG? Can someone help an older guy out?
  • Jayne
    12 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) was a sandbox MMO released in 2003. It was a bold game that put you in the life of that galaxy. For 2 1/2 years, the game thrives with an awesome community.

Unfortunately, they completely overhauled the game in November 2005 with no warning to its players. The NGE (New Game Enhancements) as it was called, uprooted the combat and profession systems making it similar to an FPS, reduces 31 professions into 9 and completely removed the sandbox play style.

Check out his link for a more thorough explanation. It is a good read that more game developers should take heed:

https://www.engadget.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-5/

This is an old article from 2008. The game has long ago vanished from existence. There are a few people that have opened up “pre-NGE” servers. If you have an old copy of the original game you can play it on their servers
  • Options
    Jayne wrote: »

SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) was a sandbox MMO released in 2003. It was a bold game that put you in the life of that galaxy. For 2 1/2 years, the game thrives with an awesome community.

Unfortunately, they completely overhauled the game in November 2005 with no warning to its players. The NGE (New Game Enhancements) as it was called, uprooted the combat and profession systems making it similar to an FPS, reduces 31 professions into 9 and completely removed the sandbox play style.

Check out his link for a more thorough explanation. It is a good read that more game developers should take heed:

https://www.engadget.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-5/

This is an old article from 2008. The game has long ago vanished from existence. There are a few people that have opened up “pre-NGE” servers. If you have an old copy of the original game you can play it on their servers

thanks.
  • Options
    Seems like a certain unnameable company should take heed. lol