Time for a different funding model?

PUBGplayer90
61 posts
edited May 2018
I'm getting sick and tired of the Marquee thing, we want to use these characters when they are hot not after 6-10 months! I mean I watched the movie last night and I was pumped up, wanted to use Han and Chewie but I'm not going to throw away 700 bucks! Now Qira is coming and I was pumped for her too but I know I won't be able to use her for another however many months... It's kind of a bummer really, especially with those characters who accompany movies, they should be made more widely available than the top 1%...

I am not naive, I know games need cash to keep running and spitting out content but at the same time we gotta figure out something more creative because a 350$ price tag on a character is unachievable for 99% of us. Even if the character you're selling is an absolute monster, that kind of money isn't available even if we really wanted to have that character, let alone when you release 2-3 at a time... By the time we can use Qira or Han or Chiewie, the movie is going to get old and forgotten, they are just going to be regular characters like everyone else... Think about all the hype about Tie reaper, rogue one is already like 2 years old and nobody cares. Most people ain't even got Krennic yet... This whole thing is kind of sucking the fun out of it.
Post edited by PUBGplayer90 on

Replies

• Turasleon
    179 posts Member
    Options
    The hype is to get those people that will spend the money to spend the money. I'm not sure what to tell you. We all get the characters a few weeks later.
  • Options
    You can use them all from the moment you receive them.
    The only caveat is that they will just be at 3*, unless you spend to get them higher.
  • Options
    Turasleon wrote: »
    The hype is to get those people that will spend the money to spend the money. I'm not sure what to tell you. We all get the characters a few weeks later.

It ain't weeks, it's months and also when they end up in node 7-8-9 with 20 energy per battle that adds a few extra months on it
  • Options

It ain't weeks, it's months and also when they end up in node 7-8-9 with 20 energy per battle that adds a few extra months on it

Why can't you use them right away? Aside from heroic raid requirements, a lot of the marquee toons (Sion, Bossk, Marr) are pefectly viable at the 3/4* level.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • CantWithAU
    158 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Aside from heroic raid requirements, a lot of the marquee toons (Sion, Bossk, Marr) are pefectly viable at the 3/4* level.
    TB requirements, for Platoons, too.
  • newbornFL
    483 posts Member
    Options
    so what you want Tournament back?

Marquee is what replaces tournaments

And we all know how much tournaments ****
  • Options

Why can't you use them right away? Aside from heroic raid requirements, a lot of the marquee toons (Sion, Bossk, Marr) are pefectly viable at the 3/4* level.

First of all, maybe 10% of them are viable in arena at 3-4 stars and Han and Chiew aren't that kind of characters, their kits of stacking stats are for raids. Secondly, investing gear 11+ on a 3-4 star character is entirely pointless anyways if they turn out to be useless in arena. Sion since you've mentioned, at 3 stars gets one shotted against Titans when he uses his AOE, I've done it multiple times, I put retribution up with Kenobi, he uses his AOE and he gets wiped out by the counter attacks or at best he's left with 10-20% Hp so I just one shot him after that. So honestly I can't see how anyone can use him reliably on a high end arena. In my shard he's pretty much disappeared a while ago for that reason. They only ones you see at 7 star g12.
  • obidrew1
    115 posts Member
    Options

Would make sense if marquee event characters didn't become instant requirements in TBs- which, they do. At a higher star than what is provided upon release.
  • CantWithAU
    158 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    First of all, maybe 10% of them are viable in arena at 3-4 stars
    Ah, well you didn't say they were only not viable for Arena.
    You just said that they were not viable, so maybe he thought of other areas in the game where they are viable?
    You seem to have only just provided the stipulation of it being for Arena.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I don't see them changing it. From what i can see plenty of people buy them either directly, or from shipments after 4-6 weeks, so i reckon it's quite the moneytrain.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • CantWithAU
    158 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    I don't see them changing it. From what i can see plenty of people buy them either directly, or from shipments after 4-6 weeks, so i reckon it's quite the moneytrain.
    If any of us had a business that was generating the obscene amount of revenue that this one is, per month, I don't think we'd be looking to change it any time soon! lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's better than it used to be, at least everyone has access to these toons right off the bat for free.

And we have a fixed timeline that we know when things will come around allowing us to plan ahead.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    It's better than it used to be, at least everyone has access to these toons right off the bat for free.

And we have a fixed timeline that we know when things will come around allowing us to plan ahead.

I understand that, I don't think it's a bad system altogether, however when a movie has just come out and they release characters specific to that movie, they should be a little bit easier to aquire and less dependent on cash. Like how Rey and BB8 rolled out of legendary events and stuff like that
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, let's NOT go back to awesome characters (Rex) being completely unavailable unless you spend a ton of $$$.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    The problem is that their goals are purely monetary. Not a single person at CG has even a slight interest in making a game that is any good. Its actually designed to suck on purpose, so that we have to pay to make it better. As long as the whales keep paying (thousands) the rest of us actual gamers are screwed.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Three months. Not 6-10.

This is a game about patience. Money is the alternative to patience.

You can still use Qi'ra. You can gear her up, level her abilities, give her mods. She's usable in events, nodes, GW, TB, challenges, TW. And when she becomes farmable, you can have her ready to go.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I understand that, I don't think it's a bad system altogether, however when a movie has just come out and they release characters specific to that movie, they should be a little bit easier to aquire and less dependent on cash. Like how Rey and BB8 rolled out of legendary events and stuff like that

They give it to you for FREE, I'm really not sure how they can make it easier than that. then on top of that they have a specific timeline where you can get that toon all ready and they only thing you can't do in that time (for free), is half of TB and higher tier raids.....

I dont think there is a single person that would ever say that Legendary toons are "easier" to get than a marquee toon. all legendary toons literally take 5x the farming.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, very few people had a First Order team ready to go when BB-8 dropped 'cuz they were just five toons at the time. That was a pain to farm, especially since you needed FOST as a hard node only farm.

If they dropped Snoke as a Resistance legendary tomorrow, that'd take quite a while for me to get ready for. If they dropped Jango as a clone trooper legendary, I wouldn't get my hands on him any time soon.
    Still not a he.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am not naive, I know games need cash to keep running and spitting out content ...

I think you've got this all backwards. The game doesn't need money to keep spitting out new content. The game spits out new content to keep making money — as much money as possible. And apparently it does well.

Post edited by Waqui on