Fleet 2.0 is a nightmare

Prev13
It used to take 60 seconds to battle another fleet and move on with your life, but now it is “improved” lol! TW and TB battles are terrible and it’s incredible how much RNG there is. Almost no skill involved. Every single attempt in every game mode is a replay of the Home One 6* challenge. It takes several minutes to find out you lost the match. This area of the game is way worse than it was. A slap in the face for all those that invested time, money, and energy only to have it voided by all the nerfs that took place. Please revisit some of these changes.

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    While I agree with your assessment and much of my guild shares your frustration, the final sentence (requesting a "revisit") is likely falling on deaf ears. Despite scores of players expressing the same frustrations in a 1k+ post thread, CG Carrie basically responded that they appreciate all the feedback and will "continue monitoring player interaction with the content."

As someone that has played since launch, I can tell you that's pretty much CG-speak for "everything is working as intended, so don't expect a change".

Have a nice weekend!

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Money spent on ships = zero
    Place reached for Ships 1.0 = first or second
    Place reached for Ships 2.0 = first or second

Your problem isn't money.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Tarugo91
    294 posts Member
    Options
    I am able to place first and second but I agree ships now take more time due to RNG. I could do it with fewer attempts before. I want the ships 1.0. ships 2.0 is a bad update and diminishes my enjoyment of the game.
  • Options
    It's ridiculous that we have to mention our ranks and money spent to validate our opinions on the forums.

I've been falling to the same rank like i did before, getting the same rank at PO that i did before, albeit doing more matches than before. While paying just as much as i did before btw.

We don't need master's degree to realise ships is mostly RNG now. We need to get rid of our personal bias. And to realise the fact that we can't judge in an unbiased way, if we are the only competive person and/or the best player on the shard.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's ridiculous that we have to mention our ranks and money spent to validate our opinions on the forums.

My bad, I didn't realize all these complaints were actually opinions, since they're always presented as fact.

The point is that you don't have to spend money (despite what above poster seems to think) to do well.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    dimi4a wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

My bad, I didn't realize all these complaints were actually opinions, since they're always presented as fact.

The point is that you don't have to spend money (despite what above poster seems to think) to do well.

Well if you are competing in a shard with big inactivity i guess you are right!

My shard is very active and the same group is at the top.

I have barely done any upgrades to ships and still winning, not all the time, but I wasnt before either.

Not a nightmare IMO.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Well if you are competing in a shard with big inactivity i guess you are right!

My shard is very active and the same group is at the top.

I have barely done any upgrades to ships and still winning, not all the time, but I wasnt before either.

Not a nightmare IMO.

A lot of players would disagree! If you are one of a few competitive people in a shard then you are lucky but at the same time this prevents you from seeing clearly the flaws and buggs of the update as you have to battle a lot less with fewer attempts!

We have a very competitive shard, dropping to 50s in between POs is a regular thing. Some even drop down to 100s. So I believe I have a fair view of the situation. But also understand that not everyone experiences things the same way...
  • Options
    Everyone that plays this game can agree that ships 2.0 is more RNG dependent and takes more time to battle. These new aspects of fleet were listed as improvements from those responsible for the new content, but it’s way, way worse.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone that plays this game can agree that ships 2.0 is more RNG dependent and takes more time to battle.

No.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Everyone that plays this game can agree that ships 2.0 is more RNG dependent and takes more time to battle.

No.

i agree, and the last dev statements made said according to their data (across the game) shows a decrease in time in match. but this is still all new and shiney. probably take time to get settled in. i feel we are still in the "knee ****" period.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options

No.

And i say NO to your "No"!

"Everyone that plays this game can agree that ships 2.0 is more RNG dependent and takes more time to battle."

That is false. Not everyone agrees with you guys. So you can say "no" to my no but you're wrong too then.
  • Options

A lot of players who like to come to this forum to voice their displeasure would disagree! If you are one of a few competitive people in a shard then you are lucky but at the same time this prevents you from seeing clearly the flaws and buggs of the update as you have to battle a lot less with fewer attempts!

There. FTFY.

Just because a small and very vocal subset of players come on these forums and rant about it (while continuing to play it, mind you), doesn't automatically translate to a large subset of the active playerbase.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    @Kyno I'm not sure I would put too much credence in their quoted match times without seeing the data for myself. One poster on that thread rightly brought up that such a comparison, if not carefully curated, could easily include pair-lock fights around payout times which would skew ships 1.0 fight times dramatically (by 150 seconds per fight). A better set of sample data wouldn't include fights within the 20 minutes to prior payout.

Anecdotally, almost anyone who's played more than a few matches knows fight times have increased, unless you're playing on an entirely non-competitive shard and are the shard whale.

@TVF Similarly, anyone that has played more than a few mirror matches (which many of them are) knows that RNG plays a more significant role now because of the reduced number of non-capital ship turns to even out the effects of bad initial outcomes. A single tie-fighter dodge can easily mean a win vs. a loss for two maxed Chimaeras (whoever gets to the ultimate first wins!). I had a 360k squad against a 290k mirror match and lost at one point in the new 2.0, and please don't tell me 'strategy' was the issue. 0 TLs and lots of dodges will do that.

I don't know if people are most upset about the reduced enjoyment of ship combat, the devaluation of particular hard farm ships and pilots (at least DT and Shore have utility in other parts of the game, I suppose), or the fact that the justification for this change flies in the face of its implementation (more strategy and faster action!!! *cough* *cough*).

I do know that the Ships 2.0 release gave me a new and liberated relationship with the game. While formerly religious about both arenas and performing all guild activities, I've put all three of my accounts into their own semi-retirement. I'l do dailies, some days, but forget about 600 - by my math I should be able to do a T6 Rancor by the end of the summer! - I might play an arena match or two before payout, but I largely spend dinner time without my phone nearby, as it should be spent. Since I'm not worried about arena refreshes, shard farming or gearing anyone I can save crystals, but instead of being upset, I just laugh when I pull 5 shards, 5 shards and 7 shards from Enfys' packs, an astounding 230 crystals per shard! And when Hard Node attempts get reduced back to 5, and I go for 0/5, and think - only 3 more months until I get that 7th star on zombie at this rate - it makes me chuckle and wonder why these people don't like their customers.

So, in retrospect, I think Ships 2.0 was a good thing. Well played EA/CG, well played.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    @cannonfodder_iv (if that is your real name) :wink:

when looking at this data, if all things are equal, meaning that people have not changed the locking habits around PO, which why would they. and you look at time as a % you are accounting for that. but i trust their interpretation of the data more than i would trust yours. :smile:
  • Options
    @cannonfodder_iv (if that is your real name) :wink:

when looking at this data, if all things are equal, meaning that people have not changed the locking habits around PO, which why would they. and you look at time as a % you are accounting for that. but i trust their interpretation of the data more than i would trust yours. :smile:

@Kyno Well, for a company that can't seem to send a 'forgot your password' email in a timely fashion :smile: and one that has a job opening for a just the sort of person that looks at this stuff , and who also has a vested interest in the data looking a certain way - :sweat: I dunno, it's getting a little hot in here...

And IIRC, she said 10 seconds shorter - which wasn't percentage based, but I'm too lazy to go find it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    cannonfodder_iv (if that is your real name) :wink:

Kyno Well, for a company that can't seem to send a 'forgot your password' email in a timely fashion :smile: and one that has a job opening for a just the sort of person that looks at this stuff , and who also has a vested interest in the data looking a certain way - :sweat: I dunno, it's getting a little hot in here...

And IIRC, she said 10 seconds shorter - which wasn't percentage based, but I'm too lazy to go find it.

when done comparing the values with a % you can then equate it to a value. you dont have to do it % based, but you need a common denominator.

They have no vested interest in it looking anyway. its data and they need to know the real effect. its not like they owed us that information so they were trying to paint it in the best light or anything. they simply have and shared what data they have gained thus far.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

No.

i agree, and the last dev statements made said according to their data (across the game) shows a decrease in time in match. but this is still all new and shiney. probably take time to get settled in. i feel we are still in the "knee ****" period.

Anyone who has actually thought about the "huge" 10 second decrease, fully realizes that it is only that way because the "anti-snipe stall" time has been dropped by 2 and half minutes.

If the time allowed for a fleet battle had been left at 7.5 minutes instead of dropped to 5, I would bet any amount of crystals that CG Carrie wouldn't have cited a time difference, as it wouldn't have supported her minor point - because it would be higher not lower.

As you correctly point out above, you need a common denominator. Unfortunately CG "conveniently" took that away by changing the time allowed for fleet battles.

TL;DR - the time drop is only because people can't stall as long.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

No.

Anyone who has actually thought about the "huge" 10 second decrease, fully realizes that it is only that way because the "anti-snipe stall" time has been dropped by 2 and half minutes.

If the time allowed for a fleet battle had been left at 7.5 minutes instead of dropped to 5, I would bet any amount of crystals that CG Carrie wouldn't have cited a time difference, as it wouldn't have supported her minor point - because it would be higher not lower.

As you correctly point out above, you need a common denominator. Unfortunately CG "conveniently" took that away by changing the time allowed for fleet battles.

You're making assumptions. You don't know if or how they've controlled for this. I don't know either. No one knows but them. Maybe they didn't account for it. But maybe they did.

Actually thinking about it isn't that useful without the actual data.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

No.

You're making assumptions. You don't know if or how they've controlled for this. I don't know either. No one knows but them. Maybe they didn't account for it. But maybe they did.

Actually thinking about it isn't that useful without the actual data.

Well, they have the data - and they're not saying. If they had controlled for the difference, they would have stated so clearly, as it would have supported their point. They didn't.

Yes, I am making assumptions - based completely on many players have reported they play the game. While they are admittedly assumptions, I suspect strongly that they are very solidly based in reality.

• TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Well, they have the data - and they're not saying. If they had controlled for the difference, they would have stated so clearly, as it would have supported their point. They didn't.

More assumptions. Carrie just pretty much threw that in as a side-note IIRC, but even if not, you're going to suddenly claim they tell us everything now? Again, you know better.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

No.

Sorry, but there are ways to relate thing mathematically to equate 2 different values. It does not have to do with the stall at all.

If the average play time at 7:30 was 95% of that
    And the average play time at 5 is 85% of that

There is a reduction of 10% of total play time. That could then be stated as a 30 second reduction in the play time relative to this new time. By decreasing the total, it would be a reduction of 3 min off the total play time from 1.0.
  • Options
    No one has any idea how that number was derived, but my money is on fuzzy maths.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

No.

Sorry, but there are ways to relate thing mathematically to equate 2 different values. It does not have to do with the stall at all.

If the average play time at 7:30 was 95% of that
    And the average play time at 5 is 85% of that

There is a reduction of 10% of total play time. That could then be stated as a 30 second reduction in the play time relative to this new time. By decreasing the total, it would be a reduction of 3 min off the total play time from 1.0.

What are you going on about? There was no mention of percentage. She stated 10 seconds. Period. As TVF stated above, it was a simple attempt at "See? Quicker battles".

If you honestly think that is that complex and they broke it down the way you suggested above....well, I think there's medication for that. ;)

As TVF stated above, we know they don't tell us everything. And thinking they automatically accounted for the difference in time alliwed would be naive on our part.