What constitutes a "Powerful Mod"

Stenun
851 posts Member
The game sometimes recommends a "Powerful Mod" and that phrase is used a lot on these forums too, so what exactly counts as one? What sort of stat bonuses do we need to be looking for?

Looking at Gold Mods, at Level 1 I have found then can offer +0.63% Offence or +1.25% Offence. Can you get more powerful than that? What is a good stat at level 1 for each of the possible boosts?

And can a "Powerful Mod" ever start as anything other than Gold? Can a Purple or even a Blue mod ever be good enough?

Replies

• TaviRus
    172 posts Member
    Options
    1) 5 dots

2) stats that fit the character. Primary with crit chance/damage for a dps character, maybe protection for a tanky character.

3) Speed. When in doubt, Speed. Speed primary on your arrow.

4 Other secondaries that fit the character. Offence and crit chance for dps etc.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Gold (4 secondaries)has the highest opportunity to become a powerful mod, purple(3 secondaries)is next then blue(2 secondaries), and then green(1 secondary)

This is due to the fact that a mod will upgrade a secondary 4 times. This can be 1 upgrade to each existing secondary, or on the other end of things all 4 upgrades to a single secondary.

A gold is the most powerful as all 4 upgrades will happen to those stats, where as a purple will always add 1 more stat, which means you "missed" an upgrade (there is an extreme case where a mod can end up with 3 stats fully upgraded, but that's rare). A blue will add 2 stats which would be 2 "misses" and so on.

I hope that helps.

Then it comes down to which stats you want (speed) but that's an other discussion
  • Options
    Every new player should read that post
  • Options
    Dunno, I say Kyno and Coastle should arm wrestle... oh wait, you meant in game.. :)
  • Options
    The only thing that makes a mod relevant is a high speed secondary. Nothing else really matters.
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a blurry line, as the best possible mods are an extremely rare occurrence, with all the RNG involved - but if you have the right stats (for the character, and for the encounter), with decent amounts, I think that amounts to "powerful mods".

So do your research, google search "Grand Master Yoda mods", see what others are saying, adapt for your own preferences, and go fight win!
  • Options
    The only thing that makes a mod relevant is a high speed secondary. Nothing else really matters.

That's essentially true but there are exceptions.

For instance on a guy Resistance trooper I would take a 5 speed mod with 7% crit chance over a 10 speed mod with 1% crit chance.

Generally you want mods to have high speed secondaries though. That's the biggest determiner of power.

Other things to look for would be potency, crit chance, protection % over 5. Health % over 3%.
    Offence over 100.
    Flat health over 1500. Flat protection over 2000.

These of course are numbers you will see after the mod is upgraded.

Generally when looking to upgrade mods these are what I am looking at the most:

speed secondary at the top.

Flat offence, crit chance and potency.

health and protection.

Defence/Offence %/ tenacity. Least useful.

Read this mod guide for more help as there as more things to look for:
    gaming-fans.com/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Cassius97 wrote: »

That's essentially true but there are exceptions.

For instance on a guy Resistance trooper I would take a 5 speed mod with 7% crit chance over a 10 speed mod with 1% crit chance.

Generally you want mods to have high speed secondaries though. That's the biggest determiner of power.

Other things to look for would be potency, crit chance, protection % over 5. Health % over 3%.
    Offence over 100.
    Flat health over 1500. Flat protection over 2000.

These of course are numbers you will see after the mod is upgraded.

Generally when looking to upgrade mods these are what I am looking at the most:

speed secondary at the top.

Flat offence, crit chance and potency.

health and protection.

Defence/Offence %/ tenacity. Least useful.

Read this mod guide for more help as there as more things to look for:
    gaming-fans.com/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/

This. High speed is the baseline for what constitutes a good mod. However specific teams/characters/raid setups might actually call for other secondaries more than speed. However, this is really only true in the Sith Raid at this point (HAAT used to require tenacious jedi in P1, potent Zader teams in P2. Long time ago Rancor was all about Potency mods, but as we get new, better characters they seem to slowly remove the necessity for specialized mod sets and just lead to getting them to go faster so you can hit more). Currently though, Sith Raid teams are a great example of why you might want something other than Speed. Chex Mix calls for massive offense secondaries for the team and speed matters far less as long as your turn order is still correct and you can set it up. Speed is really not great for Han in this case as you just want him to sit there and counterattack. RJT teams in P1 want really high CC on their team to increase the chance of getting an expose on DN. NS in P4 generally want offense as well as they reach focus more on TM gain looping their turns and thus don't need to be super speedy. Some tanks like Baze especially, you just want to load up with protection as he gets TM from his unique so speed isn't as important.

Basically, if the character or the team doesn't have inherit TM gain, you want speed. If they do, you probably want to just increase their specialized stat (Offense for most attackers, protection for tanks).
  • Options
    The one and only relevant property of a "powerful mod" is that someone else owns it.
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    Options
    there isn't really a strict cut off for what is a "powerful" mod vs a weak mod. Kind of more of a spectrum (this is a generalization, and not how the game defines "powerful mod" since I've beaten challenges with what I would call decent and even filler mods that said it required "powerful mods.")
    Powerful-
    *5 stars
    *preferred mod type for toon
    *speed primary on an arrow or >10 secondary on all others
    *primary/secondary stats relevant to the toon
    Great-
    *speed >10
    *missing 1 other criteria listed above
    Good-
    *speed 5-10
    *meets all other criteria of "powerful mod"
    Meh-