Pre determined attacks in ships table.

Prev1
Ravens1113
5215 posts Member
No matter how many retries to the nodes, reassigning of starting slots, or upgrades I make to my pilots and ships, the AI attacks the same ship every single time and only that ship.
That’s not WAI. According to posts dating back to the issues with GW difficulty, the devs told us that battles are randomized every single time no matter what. No AI move selection or target should be the same between battles.
Unfortunately no matter what, the AI gangs up on my scimitar, gets multiple moves across its entire fleet while only my own TFP goes once, and I have no chance to beat it. It’s the same played out battle every time.

AI capital ship uses AOE, three tie ships use their special on my scimitar. My TFP goes. Then two more AI TFP attack my scimitar. My thrawn capital ship finally goes to use it’s healing AOE or the AOE attack (the enemy never loses TM by the way.) Then the enemy capital ship uses a reinforcement for another TFP to wipe out my scimitar then go after my Vader tie. After that I’m wiped out before I can get a single reinforcement.

That’s how every single ship battle goes. My starting three are the Tie Fighter (5* mods on the pilot and g11 TFP), Scimitar (g10 zmaul 5*mods across the board) and Vader’s Tie (G12 Zader with 5* across the board). I get that this requires ships to be maxed at some point but I’m not worried about my inability to beat it as I am the fact that the battle is the same every single time no matter what.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Ships are a nee beast and I'm not sure that general idea applies. They added more "I" to the AI and they does seem to extend to the initial targeting.

I found it quite useful in the ship table because you can essentially send in a "pre taunt".
  • Options
    Scimitar is not good for the start, use biggs.

• Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options
    Uhhh, way back when, GW was NOT randomized each time. You had to change something, otherwise it would be literally the same exact battle, down to every spec of damage. Once you changed one tiny thing, it could play out different, but you could have the same exact battle everytime if every factor was the exact same.

As for fleet battles, I don't think the same thing is happening, cuz I see the ai following very specific instructions everytime. I think they changed the formula to have ai target weaker ships, and certain ships target certain ships, to make it harder to beat. For example, with my Biggs, TFP, Vader team, they always target Vader first, cuz he's the most vulnerable. But then if the enemy Vader goes, he will often target Tie Fighter, cuz no risk of the dodge. It's not the exact same battle (crits are different TLs are different), but they often follow a very similar path, because the ai is acting much more like it's being human controlled, following what we would do, rather than just hitting random targets like before.

Hope that helps!
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Ships are a nee beast and I'm not sure that general idea applies. They added more "I" to the AI and they does seem to extend to the initial targeting.

I found it quite useful in the ship table because you can essentially send in a "pre taunt".

But that’s not how it should be. If there’s more I in the AI they need to not overload the power of the AI ships. If my G12 ZThrawn capital ship with 5*mods doesn’t even get a turn in before their entire fleet goes, then what’s the power level of the AI ships?
    Why did they go against their model of RNG based combat without so much as a whisper of the change.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    FYI it’s 5E that I’ve seen this on 25+ attempts
  • Options
    It always attacks the same ship, eh?

Pardon my humor, but if you pulled that ship from your starting line up, and they still attacked it.... you'd have more serious problems. :P

In reality, Veserion1 hit the nail on the head: Change your lineup. The good news with ship battles is that there's a good amount of things to grind on for now, don't waste your energy on the same node for now.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    Ploosh wrote: »
    Uhhh, way back when, GW was NOT randomized each time. You had to change something, otherwise it would be literally the same exact battle, down to every spec of damage. Once you changed one tiny thing, it could play out different, but you could have the same exact battle everytime if every factor was the exact same.

As for fleet battles, I don't think the same thing is happening, cuz I see the ai following very specific instructions everytime. I think they changed the formula to have ai target weaker ships, and certain ships target certain ships, to make it harder to beat. For example, with my Biggs, TFP, Vader team, they always target Vader first, cuz he's the most vulnerable. But then if the enemy Vader goes, he will often target Tie Fighter, cuz no risk of the dodge. It's not the exact same battle (crits are different TLs are different), but they often follow a very similar path, because the ai is acting much more like it's being human controlled, following what we would do, rather than just hitting random targets like before.

Hope that helps!

That’s my point. When that happened a long time ago the devs said battles should not always be the same like they were with GW. So they made it randomized every single time. But with ships they’ve taken that away.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    Mahbrethir wrote: »

Pardon my humor, but if you pulled that ship from your starting line up, and they still attacked it.... you'd have more serious problems. :P

In reality, Veserion1 hit the nail on the head: Change your lineup. The good news with ship battles is that there's a good amount of things to grind on for now, don't waste your energy on the same node for now.

Only thing to grind is sion. I have every other ship maxed at 7* so all that there is for me to do is try and complete the tables for achievements. Can’t do that if what Veserion1 says is exactly true. Ships shouldn’t be this powerful with their speed and attack if they always target 1 ship. Either slow them down or lessen their attack power so there’s some kind of chance.
  • Ploosh
    565 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ploosh wrote: »

Hope that helps!

That’s my point. When that happened a long time ago the devs said battles should not always be the same like they were with GW. So they made it randomized every single time. But with ships they’ve taken that away.

But they haven't. You missed the point. It is "random" in the sense that it could be different, they've just given ai more intelligence, so they target certain ships first, like we all do. It's not the same preset battle like GW was, even though it can feel like it, when they keep targeting certain ships first. Even in regular arena we see this sometimes when ai often targets a weak toon first to quickly kill it.
  • Options
    Dude you need to put in tanks. If I were the AI I would attack your Scimitar first too to prevent yours from doing the special
  • Options
    Usually the algorithms choose whichever way having the highest chance to win, and the AI clearly thinks attacking your Scimitar first has the best chance to beat ur team
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Wow. I missed something huge. So GW is not exactly the same anymore if you make the same moves?
  • Options
    Mahbrethir wrote: »

Only thing to grind is sion. I have every other ship maxed at 7* so all that there is for me to do is try and complete the tables for achievements. Can’t do that if what Veserion1 says is exactly true. Ships shouldn’t be this powerful with their speed and attack if they always target 1 ship. Either slow them down or lessen their attack power so there’s some kind of chance.

Then don't grind hard nodes, grind the regular ones. It's just a secondary source of gear pieces. If you have every other ship maxed, are their corresponding characters maxed? I'd look up a thread on how character gear and mods affect ship stats, and move on from there with more recent posts about strategies.

The devs stated that they were very intentionally going for a "Rock, Paper, Scissors" set up for ships now, sounds like scissors are cutting your paper.... go find a rock.
  • Options
    That’s how every single ship battle goes. My starting three are the Tie Fighter (5* mods on the pilot and g11 TFP), Scimitar (g10 zmaul 5*mods across the board) and Vader’s Tie (G12 Zader with 5* across the board). I get that this requires ships to be maxed at some point but I’m not worried about my inability to beat it as I am the fact that the battle is the same every single time no matter what.

There's your problem. Stage 5 requires top end to beat it. Your pilots are not g12+. They made that stage for g12+ pilots, maxed abilities with maxed 5* mods and ships that have omegas maxed and full reinforcement abilities. If you get lucky with rng or put the right combination of ships together you can get by with less as many have. I don't see why you think you should be able to beat the hardest stage with undergeared toons and ships. They even stated it was for maxed ships.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    Options
    Nomad1941 wrote: »

There's your problem. Stage 5 requires top end to beat it. Your pilots are not g12+. They made that stage for g12+ pilots, maxed abilities with maxed 5* mods and ships that have omegas maxed and full reinforcement abilities. If you get lucky with rng or put the right combination of ships together you can get by with less as many have. I don't see why you think you should be able to beat the hardest stage with undergeared toons and ships. They even stated it was for maxed ships.

That's not true. You don't need G12+ and every omega. You need a better strategy and, admittedly, some luck. I got 3 stars on all the battles and I don't have G12 pieces on a lot of the pilots I use, I don't have maxed omegas on 90% of my ships, nor does my Chimaera have fully maxed abilities.

I didn't encounter the exact same battle every time but that is probably because I switched my ships up until I found a strategy that worked. Biggs, 5s and TFP worked for me. I called in vader as reinforcement and I maxed his reinforcement ability so it applies offense down along with the dots.

The point is, if the same strategy isn't working a few times let alone 25 times, you should definitely switch it up.
  • Options
    You are using the slowest cap ship against the fastest enemies, and are frustrated that one of the slowest ships out there - scimitar - is dying before it gets a turn? It's become obvious that the ai targets squishies first now, so adjust accordingly. Repeating the same team over and over praying for rng is a terrible strategy. Maybe give us your viable ships and we could help you come up with a better plan?
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    Strubz wrote: »
    Nomad1941 wrote: »

That's not true. You don't need G12+ and every omega. You need a better strategy and, admittedly, some luck. I got 3 stars on all the battles and I don't have G12 pieces on a lot of the pilots I use, I don't have maxed omegas on 90% of my ships, nor does my Chimaera have fully maxed abilities.

I didn't encounter the exact same battle every time but that is probably because I switched my ships up until I found a strategy that worked. Biggs, 5s and TFP worked for me. I called in vader as reinforcement and I maxed his reinforcement ability so it applies offense down along with the dots.

The point is, if the same strategy isn't working a few times let alone 25 times, you should definitely switch it up.

I have been switching the order up and have been getting the same thing. That’s my whole point.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    DuneFlint wrote: »
    You are using the slowest cap ship against the fastest enemies, and are frustrated that one of the slowest ships out there - scimitar - is dying before it gets a turn? It's become obvious that the ai targets squishies first now, so adjust accordingly. Repeating the same team over and over praying for rng is a terrible strategy. Maybe give us your viable ships and we could help you come up with a better plan?

So you mean to tell me that thrawns maxed cap ship and all my other ships no matter my combination should be beat out by an AI’s capital tarkin ship? Sorry but no.
  • Options

So you mean to tell me that thrawns maxed cap ship and all my other ships no matter my combination should be beat out by an AI’s capital tarkin ship? Sorry but no.

Sorry but yes, thrawn cap is not ideal for this node, so insisting on using it will not get you three stars,
  • Options

Well, i 3 starred it on my first try using different ships, and g11 to boot. So, either my rng was insane or i chose to use better ships on it.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    The AI going for the same ship is a good thing. It means you can predict it and work with it. Take a look at the thread in strategy about easily beating 5E. The AI prioritizes Gauntlet over TIE Advance or Scimitar. So if you use those three starting ships under Home One, you can 3* almost any battle by sacrificing Gauntlet, then Scimitar putting retibution on TIE Advance.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options

Sorry but yes, thrawn cap is not ideal for this node, so insisting on using it will not get you three stars,

No AI capital ship should outspeed any maxed out capital ship I control or one of the fastest ships in the game.
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

No AI capital ship should outspeed any maxed out capital ship I control or one of the fastest ships in the game.

Haha, so are you saying that ai controlled tie fighters shouldn't have more speed then a g12 scimitar too? Ships have different speeds and different capabilities. Stop trying to pound a square peg in a round hole and getting upset that it doesn't fit.
  • Options

Lol, seriously? You must be joking.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options

Haha, so are you saying that ai controlled tie fighters shouldn't have more speed then a g12 scimitar too? Ships have different speeds and different capabilities. Stop trying to pound a square peg in a round hole and getting upset that it doesn't fit.

So the capital ships are inherently supposed to move slower than normal ships right? Who is faster or slower among them isn the issue. You mean to tell me that a capital ship should outspeed a tie fighter in ships?? I’ve never seen that happen in any ships arena ever. Either my opponents normal ships go first, or mine do. The first ship to move is never a capital ship.
    It’s not pounding a square peg into a round hole. It’s simple logistics of the game.
  • Options
    It’s also called preloaded tm for the ai to make it a challenge requiring a creative solution, if they left the npc units the same as the player units, there would be zero difficulty in any node, it’s no different then when we get bonus tiers or mythic tiers, they tweak the squads we face to make it harder, in the fleet pve table they tweak the fleets. You should expect this already, you have been around long enough.
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AI always targets Tie Advanced so I put protection and retribution on the ship :D
    One ship is enough to destroy them all considering Tie Advanced has very high damage
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    It’s also called preloaded tm for the ai to make it a challenge requiring a creative solution, if they left the npc units the same as the player units, there would be zero difficulty in any node, it’s no different then when we get bonus tiers or mythic tiers, they tweak the squads we face to make it harder, in the fleet pve table they tweak the fleets. You should expect this already, you have been around long enough.

Ship combat is different than normal combat though. Survivability of 3 ships is different than 5 toons with preset taunts or those that trigger on damage, most of the time. Don’t forget that tarkins AOE kill all special also was passively buffed by reducing the number of ships starting out.
  • Miketo28
    206 posts Member
    Options
    Off topic, but pertains to ships. If Vadar is in my starting line up then there is no need to improve the reinforcement abilities, correct?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Miketo28 wrote: »
    Off topic, but pertains to ships. If Vadar is in my starting line up then there is no need to improve the reinforcement abilities, correct?

Correct. They only effect his ability when used as a reinforcement