Question: What if the Trio (Luke, Leia, Han) had only made cameos, in TFA?

Okay, I'm curious. What if the Trio (Luke, Leia, Han) had only made cameos, in TFA? How would we have felt? I think Luke would be the only tricky part. Han and Leia could have just popped in looking for Kylo, and left. Setting the stage of where they have been and why?

Replies

• Options
    Okay, I'm curious. What if the Trio (Luke, Leia, Han) had only made cameos, in TFA? How would we have felt? I think Luke would be the only tricky part. Han and Leia could have just popped in looking for Kylo, and left. Setting the stage of where they have been and why?

Personally, I would have liked to see the former Rebels, now New Republic in control, enjoying peace, with Luke training the first generations of Jedi after the purge. Leia is always busy with government responsibilities, since she is like her mother. Han is bored and goes back to smuggling and adventuring, because he still hasn't seen all the galaxy yet. Then at that point, Ben can start being turned to the dark side, while Snoke comes from the unknown regions, with Thrawn, to start trouble with the FO. Kinda switch the roles. We should've seen Luke and Ben/Kylo falling out. The few new Jedi either taking sides are being defeated or dispersed across the universe.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Personally, I would have liked to see the former Rebels, now New Republic in control, enjoying peace, with Luke training the first generations of Jedi after the purge. Leia is always busy with government responsibilities, since she is like her mother. Han is bored and goes back to smuggling and adventuring, because he still hasn't seen all the galaxy yet. Then at that point, Ben can start being turned to the dark side, while Snoke comes from the unknown regions, with Thrawn, to start trouble with the FO. Kinda switch the roles. We should've seen Luke and Ben/Kylo falling out. The few new Jedi either taking sides are being defeated or dispersed across the universe.

I think showing the downfall of the Kylo would have been very compelling. End it with Luke standing over him, his saber ignites and then black screen. Talk about a cliff hanger.

Or even better, what if they could have used the Jacen and Jaina storyline from the EU? That would have been EPIC!
  • Options

I think showing the downfall of the Kylo would have been very compelling. End it with Luke standing over him, his saber ignites and then black screen. Talk about a cliff hanger.

Right! Star Wars has always been about the conflict of good and evil, not only on a galactic scale, but on an individual scale, especially within the Skywalker family.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    They could have had them fight, and Luke realizes he cannot kill his Nephew, and makes an Obi decision and accepts his fate. (The scene where Old Ben and Vader fight is so much more powerful knowing why Obi wouldn't kill Anakin, he just couldn't.)

THEN, you bring in Rey's story and move on. She has a compelling reason to face Kylo, and finally the big reveal. Kylo is her Brother.. So what if it's a bit of a rehash, much of the existing films are as well.
  • Options
    They could have had them fight, and Luke realizes he cannot kill his Nephew, and makes an Obi decision and accepts his fate. (The scene where Old Ben and Vader fight is so much more powerful knowing why Obi wouldn't kill Anakin, he just couldn't.)

THEN, you bring in Rey's story and move on. She has a compelling reason to face Kylo, and finally the big reveal. Kylo is her Brother.. So what if it's a bit of a rehash, much of the existing films are as well.

As long as kylo and rey don't kiss, I'm ok with them being related, which is still on the table in the real ones, since kylo can't be trusted and the grain of truth in what he told rey, was that he believes his parents, the solos are nothing, because they're nothing to him.
  • Options

As long as kylo and rey don't kiss, I'm ok with them being related, which is still on the table in the real ones, since kylo can't be trusted and the grain of truth in what he told rey, was that he believes his parents, the solos are nothing, because they're nothing to him.

He does seem to protest too much.

• Options

Classic Skywalker trait.
  • Options

Classic Skywalker trait.

At least Kylo hasn't said "You will try.." *Cringe*

• Options

Classic Skywalker trait.

At least Kylo hasn't said "You will try.." *Cringe*

Or no!
    but he makes up for it in whining
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    "You're afraid..You're afraid you won't be as strong as Darth Vader!!!" would have resonated better if she said Anakin Skywalker. If you boil down Anakin's turn to the Darkside etc.. He did it for love. Love makes us all do the whacky..
  • Options
    "You're afraid..You're afraid you won't be as strong as Darth Vader!!!" would have resonated better if she said Anakin Skywalker. If you boil down Anakin's turn to the Darkside etc.. He did it for love. Love makes us all do the whacky..

Which is one spot where the PT "betrays" the OT. Old Ben said he was after power, the PT humanized Vader, making it easy to sympathize with him. They should have left the afraid to loose loved ones bit. Also, Kylo seems to admire Vader more than Anakin, either making him a wanna be sith, or the brother from the force twins, seen in Clone Wars.
  • Options
    Maul and Savage?
  • Options

See, I am already more interested in this story than what we actually got. What we got was, WTH happened to the New Republic and why aren't they opposing the First Order? We are right back where we started.

I would have been fine with Leia and Han in supporting minor roles. I would have been fine with Luke in a supporting mentor role. There is nothing wrong with handing the torch to the next generation of heroes. This route would have been good, would have felt right.

Woulda coulda shoulda, it's done now.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Exactly, show Lukes decent into politics, and leaving, Mara Jade etc.. they would be raking in so much cash they could buy a planet. I still roll my eyes at the canon vs Legends divide. I mean, the work was done, all they had to do we put it on film. They would only need to decide how to map out the next few hundred years.
  • Options
    Exactly, show Lukes decent into politics, and leaving, Mara Jade etc.. they would be raking in so much cash they could buy a planet. I still roll my eyes at the canon vs Legends divide. I mean, the work was done, all they had to do we put it on film. They would only need to decide how to map out the next few hundred years.

The only problem with Legends is that nothing was consistent enough, more plot holes was the official story I heard. TFA started with absolutely nothing and failed to build on it. If there was a movie to bridge the gap between ROTJ and FA, I would get it, since FA feels like a second in a series movie, than the first.
  • Options

See, I am already more interested in this story than what we actually got. What we got was, WTH happened to the New Republic and why aren't they opposing the First Order? We are right back where we started.

I would have been fine with Leia and Han in supporting minor roles. I would have been fine with Luke in a supporting mentor role. There is nothing wrong with handing the torch to the next generation of heroes. This route would have been good, would have felt right.

Woulda coulda shoulda, it's done now.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options
    Cameos likely would have been better.

Pretty sad state when the way to get people onto your new characters is by trashing the old ones. Seriously...none have a positive story post ROTJ for us? None?

Keep in mind 90+% of the moving going public sees only the movies. As far as most are aware that's it.
  • Options
    Friends ask, what is your favorite Doctor Who episode, or who is your favorite version of the Doctor? I reply, the ones with the TARDIS, and the Doctor in them. Same holds true for Star Wars, I like the ones with the Force, Jedi, Sith, Republic, Empire, you get the picture.
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, but they never tried to prop up a new doctor by trashing the previous one.
  • Options
    Ummm go ask Colin Baker if he agrees.