Officially done with Ship Arena

Prev1
Literally the entire top 100 on my shard is Thrawn (L), Biggs, Vader, TIE. This has to be the worst meta in all of arena, ever. It's not that any of the ships are overpowered, but the fact that every single person plays the exact same team, is super annoying, and 0 fun. Anyone tired of this meta?

Replies

• Roopehun
    344 posts Member
    Options
    We're all tired of it, but theres simply no alternative. CG completely ruined the diversity.
    I do have a very solid, fully omegaed geo trio, but I just dont run it, simply because I fall further on defense overnight. If that squad doesnt cut it, then nothing else will either.
  • Options
    Top of my shard is Ackbar and the Geonosians. I run Chimera Biggs Silencer FOTF, but plan to bring in Executrix soon.

Maybe try something besides what everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    Top of my shard is Ackbar and the Geonosians. I run Chimera Biggs Silencer FOTF, but plan to bring in Executrix soon.

That doesn't work when you're on a Nov 2015. Nothing works on a shard that old.
  • Options
    Roopehun wrote: »
    We're all tired of it, but theres simply no alternative. CG completely ruined the diversity.

Lol, like it was soooooooo diverse before
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    Thats an extremely easy team to beat. I wish my fleet arena looked like that.

Top 50 in my shard. 35 Thrawn lead, 9 Tarkin, 5 Akbar, 1 Mace. All running various ships. Only 3 teams in the top 10 currently are running the
    TFP, Vader, Biggs setup.

Ships 1.0. Top 50 were all Thrawn.

To say diversity was killed with ships 2.0 is fallacy. There was ZERO diversity in ships 1.0.
  • Options
    Funny complaint cnsidering that’s not even the best team.
  • Maztoras
    153 posts Member
    Options
    Agree with op lol....yeah ships are a joke...always has been
  • Options
    Roopehun wrote: »

Lol, like it was soooooooo diverse before

This is the problem, that is just the team everyone has already. Shards are slowly switching over to Executrix lead or Geonosians because they are better teams, but it takes time to get those ship omegas. FO is also pretty viable. This is actually the most balanced the ship arena has been if you are with a group who has the resources to make the changes.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. They didn't change ships - they just changed the meta. Once everyone changes over to the ideal 3,there will be no diversity....only people who haven't caught up yet.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options

So, just curious, but what's the best team? And why?
  • Options
    Sounds like your shard is ripe for plundering. This is me, picking off the meta-zombies at will with my Geo Trio:

qishveh9xb33.png

Pay attention to the changes and the abilities in fleet. Strategy and synergy count.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah Thrawn Tarkin amd Akbar all in my top 5.
  • Options

That doesn't work when you're on a Nov 2015. Nothing works on a shard that old.

Ships were not out in Nov 2015. But I get you. And I am.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Also how do you know who is 100-50 rank? Not listed. If your shard is all Thrawn switch to Tarkin and you will skyrocket.
  • Options
    I play in the top 10 with that line up but we have a large variety to fight every night. It is just back to RNG again.
  • Options
    I've been done with ships... Engage and retreat. Don't even want to bother.
  • Options
    The real ship meta is geos and they need a serious nerf
  • Options
    I'm nowhere near done with ships! They were right, battles have "significantly" shorter durations, as it only takes me 3 seconds to hit the retreat button and claim my daily! Yeah!
  • Options

I haven’t seen enough maxed out teams to really know the answer to this, but as someone who has a maxed old meta team described above and switched to Geos, I can say that Geos are without a doubt better on both offense and defense. I don’t know if it is the best, but it is better than the OP team. I’ve played against some speed Tarkin teams that are definitely more difficult than the “old meta” as well. I’ve never ran them myself though.

I suspect a first order team could be in the discussion, but I’ve yet to come across one. Maybe the AI butchers it too bad.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

I haven’t seen enough maxed out teams to really know the answer to this, but as someone who has a maxed old meta team described above and switched to Geos, I can say that Geos are without a doubt better on both offense and defense. I don’t know if it is the best, but it is better than the OP team. I’ve played against some speed Tarkin teams that are definitely more difficult than the “old meta” as well. I’ve never ran them myself though.

I suspect a first order team could be in the discussion, but I’ve yet to come across one. Maybe the AI butchers it too bad.

AI for FO fleet is terribad. Never uses Silencer's special when it should. AI can't handle the command shuttle, it has 4 skills and it's unique lets it reset it's cooldowns, it's almost guaranteed to use the wrong one every time. FOSFTF AI is alright, not wonderful. FOTF AI is easy, but has the least First Order synergy out of any of them. Silencer w/ the Afterburner buff from his reinforcement can hammer teams, but you would need to have a bunch of other FO ships to make the most use of it.
  • Options

Agreed. I’m fortunate not to run into them often because they weren’t all that relevant before. With people farming towards HSTR it leaves ship arena ripe for the taking if someone is willing to invest there. I’m really wanting to push Phoenix but don’t see many of those around and have no idea how they’d perform.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

AI for FO fleet is terribad. Never uses Silencer's special when it should. AI can't handle the command shuttle, it has 4 skills and it's unique lets it reset it's cooldowns, it's almost guaranteed to use the wrong one every time. FOSFTF AI is alright, not wonderful. FOTF AI is easy, but has the least First Order synergy out of any of them. Silencer w/ the Afterburner buff from his reinforcement can hammer teams, but you would need to have a bunch of other FO ships to make the most use of it.

The Tie Silencer AI ticks me off like almost nothing else in this game. It should use its basic when it doesn’t have advantage and special when it does (or when it will likely kill an enemy). Instead it does the exact opposite. Coding it to use the special first was annoying but understandable, because every ship uses specials first. But when I stuck it in RI with ackbar and saw it use its basic when coming in with advantage I lost my mine (plus the damage is bugged too!). It’s like it’s a complete troll move from CG.
  • Options
    Sounds like your shard is ripe for plundering. This is me, picking off the meta-zombies at will with my Geo Trio:

qishveh9xb33.png

Pay attention to the changes and the abilities in fleet. Strategy and synergy count.

Im sure Geo trio is fantastic. But I think i'll uninstall before I waste so many resources building up geonosians just for their ships.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the 3 FO TIEs will be the absolute best starting 3 on offense. Their speed and damage is high enough that they can easily wipe out an opponent's ship before anyone but the opponent's Poe, TFP or FO TIEs could go. I would be backing them all up with only massive damage ships: Poe, GeoSol, Cassian, LMF, Ahsoka, Fives, Some of those will end up behind that fleet but not all of them. No tanks is intentional. They just make room for RNG in ships 2.0.

Not sure how it would be on defense, but high speed high damage is dangerous to fight.

As for stale META. Ships 2.0 destroyed Republic fleet viability so at first I thought it was less diverse. And my shard is pretty much the same as the OP's: Lots of Biggs, X1, TFP

But there is plenty of room to run what you want once you have the abilities to invest in them. I am currently running Poe, 5s, Ahsoka with GeoSol, Cassian, JC, and Boba as reinforcements and I can take 1st. Usually only fall to the teens overnight.

Dec 2016 shard.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the 3 FO TIEs will be the absolute best starting 3 on offense. Their speed and damage is high enough that they can easily wipe out an opponent's ship before anyone but the opponent's Poe, TFP or FO TIEs could go. I would be backing them all up with only massive damage ships: Poe, GeoSol, Cassian, LMF, Ahsoka, Fives, Some of those will end up behind that fleet but not all of them. No tanks is intentional. They just make room for RNG in ships 2.0.

Not sure how it would be on defense, but high speed high damage is dangerous to fight.

As for stale META. Ships 2.0 destroyed Republic fleet viability so at first I thought it was less diverse. And my shard is pretty much the same as the OP's: Lots of Biggs, X1, TFP

But there is plenty of room to run what you want once you have the abilities to invest in them. I am currently running Poe, 5s, Ahsoka with GeoSol, Cassian, JC, and Boba as reinforcements and I can take 1st. Usually only fall to the teens overnight.

Dec 2016 shard.

I'd almost go so far as to try Command Shuttle, FOTF, FOSFTF and bring in a fully upgraded Silencer as the first reinforcement, then a fully upgraded Poe, Cassian, and maybe Vader at the end if you need another unavoidable attack after Poe. Could be a lot of fun, but it might be risky to start off, I'm not sure how tanky a maxed FOSFTF is.

Edit: Might be good under Ackbar lead, Command Shuttle can counter attack and would get 2 protection up buffs, and then FOSFTF can call an assist from FOTF to give FOTF a little more survivability. Home One is the fastest capital ship and would get to bring in a reinforcement first (unless tie dodges are involved) Silencer would come in w/ Advantage and the afterburner buff with 3 other FO ships already in play.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Woodroward wrote: »

Dec 2016 shard.

I'd almost go so far as to try Command Shuttle, FOTF, FOSFTF and bring in a fully upgraded Silencer as the first reinforcement, then a fully upgraded Poe, Cassian, and maybe Vader at the end if you need another unavoidable attack after Poe. Could be a lot of fun, but it might be risky to start off, I'm not sure how tanky a maxed FOSFTF is.

Edit: Might be good under Ackbar lead, Command Shuttle can counter attack and would get 2 protection up buffs, and then FOSFTF can call an assist from FOTF to give FOTF a little more survivability. Home One is the fastest capital ship and would get to bring in a reinforcement first (unless tie dodges are involved) Silencer would come in w/ Advantage and the afterburner buff with 3 other FO ships already in play.

If you're talking about setting up for defense I could maybe see that. I wouldn't want to run it that way though. I'd run it just how I laid it out so that I don't have any slow ships in my starting fleet. Silencer may have a nice reinforcement ability, but he'd be irreplaceable as a starter in my strategy, certainly not with a ship as slow as Kylo's command shuttle, maybe with Poe. Poe is in the lineup because of his speed and damage really, not because his attack is unavoidable. I don't find TFP dodge to be an issue any longer.

But my take on Ships 2.0 is that it has killed gimmicks and defense. I think having a slow tanky ship in your lineup pretty much just lowers your damage enough to assure you have to deal with RNG to win a battle. GeoSol is a slow ship, but he auto assists making his speed irrelevant, and he hits like a truck. I don't find gimmicks useful anymore. I consider X1 a gimmick, one I never used, but I think his time as a META ship is done. Scimitar is a defense gimmick, again one I have never used, I think using him is a bad idea as well honestly, along with Sun Fac, Biggs, and Clone Sergeant. Tanks and supports are just not helpful anymore.

I think the better option is to go all out attack. I feel like it should be better on offense and defense to do so too, but I can't say that for sure just yet.
  • Options
    You guys brought up Poe. Why couldn't you keep that to yourself?!? ;) I thought I was the only one using him off the bench, he is usually my second reinforcement and can turn the tide with a timely knock-out.
  • Hellsteeth30
    832 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

Agreed. I’m fortunate not to run into them often because they weren’t all that relevant before. With people farming towards HSTR it leaves ship arena ripe for the taking if someone is willing to invest there. I’m really wanting to push Phoenix but don’t see many of those around and have no idea how they’d perform.

My shard is fairly new and everybody and their mother runs the two Phoenix ships with Biggs in the middle.

They work just fine, just fine. Sadly Phantom has a glaring issue, Sabine.

I run Slave and TIE as backup, even more target lock goodness to keep biggs going.

Best I got for now.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

If tired of seeing the same ships over and over, then lead the way and use different ships. An Instinct member on my shard takes furst using Tarkin with Fives, Biggs and Plo Koon as starting 3. Break the pattern.
  • Options
    What I want to know is why are crappy teams able to take #1 and cant be defeated? Ive spent lots of money on this game and my roster shows it. Ive earned my place at the table.
    Yet today I spent crystals 4 times on Fleet Arena and couldnt beat a team running the same ships as I. The problem is that ALL of my ships were upgraded better than my opponent. My Commander ship is 7*, his was 6*. My fighters were all upgraded better and were about 5,000 gp more powerful. Thst makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.