Old casual f2p returning like a new player, how should I pick things up from here?

LMYYYKS
333 posts Member
edited July 2018
Hi all,

Just returning to playing this game 2-3 weeks ago. Before that, I had played it for a few months and by the time I quitted, protection was newly introduced; and ships/guilds/mods were not even a thing. So, yes I have a ton lot to catch up, pretty much like a new player.

What I have at hand is pretty much the beginner META from the very old days, plus a bit I have gathered recently:
7*: Lumi lv65
6* : JC lv 60
5* : GS lv65, (55-60) Sid, Windu, Phasma, Talia
4*: (55-60)DV, QGJ, Dooku, RG, Ahsoka, Daka, FOST, old Rey, Tarkin, AA, Chewie, Poggle, IG-88&86

After digging a bit in the forum, I have also decided to go for the Phoenix team and KRU, all now at lv 60
4* : Chopper, Kanan, Zeb, Ezra, KRU
3* : Hera

Summary of my accounts:
Highest squad power: 30xxx (Lumi:93xx), JC, GS, QGJ, Dooku (52xx-57xx)

As you can see, I have an Everest to climb:
1: It’s a very old shard with a lot of players at much higher levels. My current standing is 12xx, once in a while I can catch some stray lv1 squads and overtake them. The good side of it is that a lot of players here are inactive as well. My pw2000 team has never been challenged so far, in a sea of pw60ks.
2: The new GW difficulty mechanics hits me really hard as I pushed Lumi far too ahead of all others, thus making the GW even more difficult for my other toons. This is the main reason I’m limiting the leveling for now and thus holding the power of my toons from going over 5200: to avoid things being too difficult for my weaker toons to handle while I’m strenghening my usable roster. The way things are going right now, I can complete at least half of the GW every day, and even finishing it on sunny days.
3: Not to mention the Fleet Arena.
4: Totally clueless to mods. And I’m devoting my Cantina energy to Ezra and Hera.
5: I’m lucky enough to have a local guild which takes in casual scrubs. So I’m reaping some tokens every now and then by literally contributing nothing but 600 tickets.

Progress (completed):
LS: Lv 6 Normal, lv 5 hard
DS: Lv 6 Normal, lv 5 hard
Cantina: Lv 4
Mod: Lv 4B
Ships: Lv 1 Normal, lv 1 hard

And here below is my daily income:
Squad Arena: 500 (300+200)
GW: 400-800
Crystals: ~150
Fleet: 800
Guild: varying

Below are my major store purchases as below:
Arena: Kanan (113/145)
Cantina: Chopper (90/145)
GW: Zeb (130/145)
Ships: Ghost(36/50), Phantom (44/25)
I would also spend on some randomly generated toons if I have tokens to spare
Ezra, Hera, Jyn(57/80), Boba(56/80), Kylo (30/80), Cad (22/50), Chirrut (20/50)

So is this a good way? Or should I change my strategy? And how? When should I start farming mods?
At the very least, I intend to bring the Phoenix (except Sabine) to 5* first, if any strategic changes are to be made.

TL;DR: Player with synergy-less squad, low arena rankings, low income. How to build things from here?

Thanks.

Edit: Wordings, grammar
Post edited by LMYYYKS on

Replies

• Options
    If you want my advice, you should restart on a new shard.

You have no units worth being worried about losing.

I would have myself but I had invested too much. I didn't want to lose progress.

I am on a very old shard myself but I am least hitting below 500 in arena and below 200 in ship arena.

You would be in a great position on a new shard as you would have all the knowledge.

If you focus on a new shard - basically it's best to build a phoenix team and empire team.

Phoenix team is great for GW.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I would do the both the health mod battles and the defense mod battles followed by their challenges right away in order to just equip one team with a basic set of mods. The other types can wait until you have a better understanding of mods and have surplus cantina energy.

I'd say that Jyn and Cad can wait until later. However, keep farming Boba's hard nodes every day. He has a great ship and is one of the two MVP scoundrels for credit heist. Also farm Biggs', FOTP's and JC's hard nodes. They are pilots as well. Biggs' ship is VERY good, while the two others are good midgame and the charactets also have other uses. Farming them eill not interfere with farming of phoenix.

Don't worry too much about squad arena. If you can enter top—1000 it's fine. It will probably be months until you can reach 500 or better. Just develop your roster steadily, acquire some legendary characters (maybe follow and up to date guide for new players) and you will be on the right track. Oh! And the sooner you get your first character to7*, the sooner you will be able yo join heroic tier raids with your guild.
  • Options
    Looks like you’re already starting to build up Phoenix. They will help you complete more of galactic wars as you get them stronger. When you get 5 Phoenix members to 5*, I would go through the first 3 levels of mod battles and unlock health mod challenges. Then unlock all 3 tiers of health mod challenges, and make sure to get 3* on tier 3. That will allow you to sim it.

You said you are getting 150 crystals a day. The best use of crystals is energy refreshes. I would use 100 crystals each day to refresh cantina energy and use that refresh to farm tier 3 health mod challenge. That will get you 7-8 mods a day. At the beginning, you want to keep everything, but after you get enough mods to put on all your characters, then look for ones with speed and upgrade those. The game developers are planning a mod overhaul in the next couple months, so there will likely be some big differences soon that we don’t know about. But no matter how they change, you will need mods. So start farming them when you can and get some every day.

I would use the remaining 50 crystals you get each day to refresh light side/dark side energy so you can farm gear for your Phoenix team.

If you do not have a fleet, you should do the fleet prep events, which will give you some starter ships. I would read some guides on “ships 2.0” to help you figure out which specific ships you should farm. But you will need at least 5 dark side ships and 5 light side ships in order to do the capital ship challenges, so keep that in mind. I would prioritize dark side ships first, since they are needed to complete Tarkin’s Executrix challenges, and you need the Executrix for the fleet ability challenges. The fleet ability challenges are the main source of zeta materials in the game, which allow high-level character ability upgrades.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options
    Restarting would make it so that your arena shard wouldn't have such a massive head start, but it's not something you have to do.

Like you said, you're pretty much like a new player, so the way forward would be to play as if you were a new player. That means focus farming Phoenix squad so that you can get EP and Thrawn. Unfortunately, you'll just miss getting both this time around (you have a shot at getting them at 5*), but keep at it and you'll definitely be ready the next time around. In the mean time, it'll largely solve your GW issues and help you in advancing in LS and Cantina battles.

KRU is a great toon and someone you'll want to farm sooner than later, but for now I wouldn't put any effort into getting him up in stars because you don't want to take away from Ezra/Hera farming. Keep hitting their nodes until they're both 7*. Ditto for the rest of Phoenix and their farming locations.

From there, I would focus on farming the toons you'll need for the various legendary and hero's journey events, starting with Empire since they're also great in the arena.

And if you haven't gotten into a guild that's doing heroic raids, do so sooner than later.
  • Options
    Agree
  • Options
    revarius wrote: »
    If you want my advice, you should restart on a new shard.
    You have no units worth being worried about losing.
    You would be in a great position on a new shard as you would have all the knowledge.

This. I completely agree with you @revarius . Why? Well @LMYYYKS I'll tell you. I knew a guy who even was a level 85 player and restarted from scratch just because he had more knowledge and wanted a higher arena rank so the crystals payout would be higher. Also so that he could just simply farm MORE stuff a lot faster and more efficiently with his knowledge working as an advantage over most of the people in his shard. He ranked pretty high too. Top 50 iirc. We became really good friends and he was a guildmate of mine too for the longest time.
    Waqui wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about squad arena. If you can enter top—1000 it's fine. It will probably be months until you can reach 500 or better.

Actually noooo @Waqui . :lol: He SHOULD worry about it. Lol. ;) Squad arena is VERY important in this game. It's where you get the MOST crystals flow than anywhere else in any other part of the game. And seeing that @LMYYYKS hasn't been on in quite awhile he's already lost headway towards the higher ranks cause other people have actively been on during his absence upgrading and maxing their arena team, this is a something he should probably consider. Why? Because...
    YKMisfit wrote: »
    Restarting would make it so that your arena shard wouldn't have such a massive head start,
    Like you said, you're pretty much like a new player, so the way forward would be to play as if you were a new player.

...of what @YKMisfit said here. Restarting would virtually eliminate the massive headstart from anyone else in his shard. He'd be on a fresh new shard with new people. So the way forward WOULD be to play as a new player, just this time you have more of an idea of what to do and you won't waste as much resources on the not so great toons. That's all. So you could farm the Phoenix, have fun, and not have to worry about the Achilles heel of the giant headstart the other people would have because it wouldn't be like that anymore. That's my thoughts. And I'm a level 85 player who in a few months will have been playing for 2 years. So... whatever you do @LMYYYKS I wish you the best of luck! And remember, have fun and may the force be with you! :) Joe :sunglasses:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Options
    Oh yeah. And one more thing. If you have any and I mean ANY questions or want free solid advice from a guy who has nearly 2 mil GP feel free to pm me ANYTIME and I'll answer anything you wanna know or need help with @LMYYYKS I'm on here every day so... yeah. That is all. Lol :grin:
  • Options
    Welcome back! Investing your cantina energy into Ezra and Hera is a wise move. Finish your phoenix squad. There are two Jedi in there for the Grand Master Yoda Event, five Rebels for Palp, and of course five Phoenix for Thrawn. They arent the best for PvP areas of the game, but the characters you can acquire from simply having them are. They are pilots of two ships as well so its a solid starting point to get your feet wet in all areas of the game. It'll be a long road, indeed, but take one game mode at a time. Characters have changed since you left so what was good out of the GW and Arena stores may not be too hot now. If you use discord, look me up GoodOl'Maurice#2322 and I can try to help out a bit. Register your account on SWGOH.gg as well if you havent already.
  • Options
    Phoenix

Empire

Scoundrels.

Or -

I don't often say it but if you do want to be competitive in the Arena (and don't want to/have lots of cash to spend), I'd restart.
  • Ajes
    24 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I was in a similar situation when I got back to the game in february. I am very happy that I decided to start over. The little progress that I had made the first time around was more or less cought up within three weeks. Plus I was off to a great start and am getting top 50 in arena with a few top 20 places here and there. And I am always top 20 in fleet and most of the time top 10 with a few top 5 places here and there. Thats a lot of "free" crystals for refreshes.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about squad arena. If you can enter top—1000 it's fine. It will probably be months until you can reach 500 or better.

Actually noooo @Waqui . :lol: He SHOULD worry about it. Lol. ;) Squad arena is VERY important in this game. It's where you get the MOST crystals flow than anywhere else in any other part of the game. And seeing that @LMYYYKS hasn't been on in quite awhile he's already lost headway towards the higher ranks cause other people have actively been on during his absence upgrading and maxing their arena team, this is a something he should probably consider. Why? Because...

You clearly missed the part, where OP described how he has been away from the game for 2 years and just returned. The top players on his shard will hav more than 3 million GP. He cannot compete with them. Not at all...yet. during his climb he will soon hit a wall where he can't possibly climb any further for months. My guess is, that the first wall will be in the 500—1000 range.

Again: OP shouldn't worry too much about it. Developing his roster in general is the best way to proceed. There's nothing to gain by ranking 700 instead of 800. He shouldn't deviate from the general best farming route to just gain a few ranks.

But ok, you gave your advice. I hope, he doesn't follow it.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

You clearly missed the part, where OP described how he has been away from the game for 2 years and just returned. The top players on his shard will hav more than 3 million GP. He cannot compete with them. Not at all...yet. during his climb he will soon hit a wall where he can't possibly climb any further for months. My guess is, that the first wall will be in the 500—1000 range.

Again: OP shouldn't worry too much about it. Developing his roster in general is the best way to proceed. There's nothing to gain by ranking 700 instead of 800. He shouldn't deviate from the general best farming route to just gain a few ranks.

Nope. Didn't miss that part @Waqui I understood it very well from the get go. I just found it humorous that you thought in an arena shard, where even you yourself have said that he'll be up against people with 3 million north GP, that he'd eventually be able to even remotely be in the top 1000. I'm sorry but I find that quite funny tbh. It's not logical.

And no. Ranking 700 instead of 800 won't make a big difference, I will agree. However, ranking top 200 instead of top 2000 will. That's what I'm talking about. He'd be doing the exact same thing and it would be easier and more beneficial to him. He'd rank higher, have more resources and be farming way faster than in your way. And I'm not suggesting for him to deviate from the best farming routes. No. I even said he should farm the Phoenix which is the best all around team for people just starting out. So I think you possibly misunderstood me rather.

And btw. We all have opinions here. It doesn't mean I'm wrong and you're right. It also doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I just think my blueprint is the better of the two choices in the short term and the long run for him, in my humble opinion. So no hard feelings man. Just trying to help a fellow Star Wars fan out. That's all. ;)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Nope. Didn't miss that part @Waqui I understood it very well from the get go. I just found it humorous that you thought in an arena shard, where even you yourself have said that he'll be up against people with 3 million north GP, that he'd eventually be able to even remotely be in the top 1000. I'm sorry but I find that quite funny tbh. It's not logical.

You clearly have no idea how an arena shard looks in that end. I do. I myself picked up an old alt account after not having touched it for 14 months. (Well, actually it was the very first account, I created back in march '16, before rerolling to my current main account.) You won't believe how many inactive players, casual players or players with less understanding of the game there are in that end of the ranks. When i started playing that account again, it didn't take long to hit rank 1000, but reaching top 500 took several months, since I had to get to lvl 85 first and I hit some immovable walls on the way. Reaching low 100s took 10 months. Within another month I'll have a nightmare team ready for entering top—100 persistently. That account is currently at 1.6 million GP and surrounded by 2.5—3+ million GP accounts.

You may find it illogical and funny to think that OP can reach top—1000. That just show how little you know about how shards work outside the ranks of the active players. A shard may have 20k members, but most of those 20k players are inactive, casual or unskilled.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

[...]

And no. Ranking 700 instead of 800 won't make a big difference, I will agree. However, ranking top 200 instead of top 2000 will. That's what I'm talking about. He'd be doing the exact same thing and it would be easier and more beneficial to him. He'd rank higher, have more resources and be farming way faster than in your way. And I'm not suggesting for him to deviate from the best farming routes. No. I even said he should farm the Phoenix which is the best all around team for people just starting out. So I think you possibly misunderstood me rather.

And btw. We all have opinions here. It doesn't mean I'm wrong and you're right. It also doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I just think my blueprint is the better of the two choices in the short term and the long run for him, in my humble opinion. So no hard feelings man. Just trying to help a fellow Star Wars fan out. That's all. ;)

The OP asked for advice on how to proceed — not wether he should reroll or not. I gave him advice on how to proceed. And no, he shouldn't worry too much about arena, but focus on developing his roster in general. I still hope he doesn't take your advice and starts worrying too much about arena. That can wait until he has a roster/team for it. But in the end it's all up to him.

PS. Comparing my advice to Revarius' advice to restart makes no sense. Instead compare my advice to other posters actually answering OP's question.
  • Options

You clearly have no idea how an arena shard looks in that end. I do. I myself picked up an old alt account after not having touched it for 14 months. (Well, actually it was the very first account, I created back in march '16, before rerolling to my current main account.) You won't believe how many inactive players, casual players or players with less understanding of the game there are in that end of the ranks. When i started playing that account again, it didn't take long to hit rank 1000, but reaching top 500 took several months, since I had to get to lvl 85 first and I hit some immovable walls on the way. Reaching low 100s took 10 months. Within another month I'll have a nightmare team ready for entering top—100 persistently. That account is currently at 1.6 million GP and surrounded by 2.5—3+ million GP accounts.

You may find it illogical and funny to think that OP can reach top—1000. That just show how little you know about how shards work outside the ranks of the active players. A shard may have 20k members, but most of those 20k players are inactive, casual or unskilled.

[...]

The OP asked for advice on how to proceed — not wether he should reroll or not. I gave him advice on how to proceed. And no, he shouldn't worry too much about arena, but focus on developing his roster in general. I still hope he doesn't take your advice and starts worrying too much about arena. That can wait until he has a roster/team for it. But in the end it's all up to him.

PS. Comparing my advice to Revarius' advice to restart makes no sense. Instead compare my advice to other posters actually answering OP's question.

Lol bud @Waqui I'm just trying to give OP the best route possible for him. Now I never said it's "impossible" to get into the top 1000. All I said is that it's easier to reroll on a newer shard which he could rank higher out of the gate thus allowing him to farm faster and more efficiently than in your way. You clearly have your idea and I have my blueprint in which neither of us are wrong per say, but at the end of the day it's OP's choice. I'll reiterate, I'm just trying to give OP the easiest and most logical solution to having been away for so long. As I've previously stated, I'm just trying to help. That's all bud. No worries. ;)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Here are your own words (quote):

"I just found it humorous that you thought [...] that he'd eventually be able to even remotely be in the top 1000. I'm sorry but I find that quite funny tbh. It's not logical."

That's nowhere near what you just claimed. It's all there in your own previous post. My personal experience is that you are clearly wrong on this.

The most logical solution? That depends on what the OP will enjoy more. On what his goal is. Will he enjoy to battle his way back? Will he have more fun keeping his old account — maybe for nostalgic reasons? If he restarts will he then end up in rank 5000+ anyway on his new shard with the top—200 being several levels higher than himself? Your advice to restart is not wrong as such — I agree there — but calling it "the most logical solution" shows how flawed your logic is.
  • KyJoe_Cool
    1873 posts Member
    Options
    @Waqui I don't have flawed logic as you call it. We all have opinions on here. That's exactly what this forum or any forum is for. We all have voices and deserve the chance to at least be heard. But don't worry. I'm no longer going to be commenting on this thread as I think my point was made pretty clear. I give up man. I wasn't trying to get into a debate with you. That wasn't my intention when I first commented on this thread. It's not worth it. At the end of the day I was just trying to help OP and give suggestions to what OP had said. That's all. No worries though. White flag. Take care. ;)

@LMYYYKS I wish you luck as to whatever you decide. The most important thing anyway is to have fun. That's what this game is for anyway. May the force be with you! Joe :)

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @KyJoe_Cool, you are the one calling your oppinion a logical solution, when it's really only an oppinion. If you indeed view your oppinion as a logical solution THEN your logic is flawed. That was my point.

It's quite ironic, that you call your oppinion a logic solution, since in other of your posts you appear to realize, that it's only an oppinion and that there's no real logic behind it.
  • Options

[...]

You are right I didn't specifically OP's question but then again many other people have already said what he/she should farm.

People can play at their own pace. It's just you can progress faster in a newer shard if you crack top 200.

I agree with you though. It's about having fun and you can play your way.