Thrawn's Meat Pies (or, Yet Another Rate My Phoenix Team Thread)

Hi all,

So I've read multiple "HELP!" threads, and have tried to apply various suggestions and tricks, but my Phoenix team falls apart like a soggy cookie on the final stage of Thrawn 7*. (I can get to said stage with full health, protection, and false hope.)

Given what I've read, and given the fact that I've been mod-lazy, I suspect my problem is my mod layout. (In fact, my mod stockpile is mostly comprised of CrackerJack toys and lint). I've heard arguments for speed, and arguments for tenacity, and arguments for luck.

However, I'd be grateful if anyone were willing to critique my merry band:

swgoh.gg/u/diachron/squads/107125/

I'm a moderately casual player, so I'm leaning towards a solution that doesn't require extreme lengths (I'm a recovering MMO raider from days of old) (until I took an arrow to the knee)).

Thank you in advance!

p.s. What is a "meta" team?

p.p.s. I call them "meat pies", but I actually have great affection for the Phoenix kids (being a Rebels fan).

p.p.p.s. I'm pretty stubborn, so I'm happy to try 10,000 times until the RNG Mistress smiles upon me, if that helps.

Replies

• Options
    Can you get some basic attacks omegaed? If so, aim for Zeb’s and Ezra’s.
    For mods, most people use either fast speed or lots of protection, which you don’t have either of. If you have some mods in your inventory that have any speed secondaries, put them on your team. Speed primaries are only on arrows, so try to get an arrow with speed on each character (this may or may not be possible). You can also use a speed mod set. If you are really struggling with speed mods, you can try mods with protection primaries (circle, cross, triangle, arrow). The more dots on a mod, the higher the amount of protection.
    I might suggest taking a few of your characters to gear 9 if you can, since this event is so difficult, and you don’t have very good mods.

A meta team is the
    Most Efficient Team Available, usually referring to squad arena. Right now, the meta is mostly a Palpatine lead with Sith, especially the Sith triumvirate. A lot of people also use CLS lead, RJT lead, and for those who have her, Traya lead. Bastila leads are starting to show up more often too, so there are a lot of efficient teams at the moment.
  • MajesticMoose41
    247 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The reason you're only lasting 30 seconds into that battle is not because you need omegas on basics. No. It's 100% your mods. All of them are too squishy. Thrawn can hit for 15k or more on his basic. Your 1 and 2 dot mods aren't cutting it. You need good 5 dot arena mods on them with decent speed.

This is what you should have for combined health and protection for each toon at the bare minimum:

Hera- ~35k
    Ezra- ~34k
    Zeb- ~34k (potency needs to be at least 40%)
    Chop- ~32k
    Kanan- ~45k

You won't make it with the mods you have at the moment. Kanan doesn't need speed but Zeb needs at least 175ish. Ezra and chopper preferably higher. Hera around 160 to 170 minimum. 2300 base physical dmg for Ezra.
  • Options
    The reason you're only lasting 30 seconds into that battle is not because you need omegas on basics. No. It's 100% your mods. All of them are too squishy. Thrawn can hit for 15k or more on his basic. Your 1 and 2 dot mods aren't cutting it. You need good 5 dot arena mods on them with decent speed.

This is what you should have for combined health and protection for each toon at the bare minimum:

Hera- ~35k
    Ezra- ~34k
    Zeb- ~34k (potency needs to be at least 40%)
    Chop- ~32k
    Kanan- ~45k

You won't make it with the mods you have at the moment. Kanan doesn't need speed but Zeb needs at least 175ish. Ezra and chopper preferably higher. Hera around 160 to 170 minimum. 2300 base physical dmg for Ezra.

I beat it with less extreme numbers for health/protection at baseline but agree get as much health/protection as possible and spam the skills that heal/increase them. But I went speed (I have 5dot speed arrows on everyone, 210 total on Ezra, 190 on Hera, chopper was in 180's, zeb 160-170). Get a tenacity primary cross for Zeb (that alone pushes you up 24%).

Since I striped my arena mods, the team feels so much slower and weaker (I mean they are, but **** I can really tell how much difference modding does in the game).
  • Options
    I beat it easily with nothing like the speed he’s suggesting but I did have decent health/protection on my Mods & G10 Ezra....
  • Options

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond!

I guess any way you slice it, my mods are "squishy" (that made me laugh).

Phoenix was the first team I modded, and I did so conservatively since I didn't have a lot of mods at the time; and I didn't really understand the mod system. When I think about, that's pretty much the case now!

So I'm off to delve into some long-overdue mod training (for instance, I never understood the difference between the shapes of the mods themselves).

I'll take any good mod guide suggestions!

I don't have a lot of play opportunities, so I may not make 7* Thrawn this time around. However, next time he returns I'll blind him with science.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Here’s a good mod guide. It’s a bit long but very informative.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPiX6Mnv7k
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Vendi1983
    5024 posts Member
    Options
    I posted this elsewhere when someone else asked, it's exactly what I used. Only difference is I have them level 85 across the board. That won't affect abilities unless you intend to zeta them. And only minimal change to health and strength.

Hera G8+4, 170- 6 health mods, protection on triangle and circle. Tenacity on cross. Speed on arrow.

Chopper G8+4, 209- 6 health mods, protection on triangle, circle, and arrow (15 speed secondary), tenacity on cross.

Zeb G8+3, 132- 2 health 4 potency, protection on circle and triangle, potency on cross. Speed on arrow (actually forgot to put the 5-dot one from my arena FOST. He only had a 1-dot speed arrow). Potency 65%.

Kanan G8+3, 111 - 4 health, 2 Crit chance. Protection on triangle, circle and arrow (13 speed secondary), tenacity on cross.

Ezra G9+4, 173 - 4 offence, 2 health. Health on circle. Crit damage on triangle. Tenacity on cross. Speed on arrow.

Pretty straightforward if you avoid Thrawn until the end, unless he has daze/stun. DT's first, ST's, then Papa Smurf. The tenacity helped a ton as they were rarely debuffed except for the unavoidable Fracture.

First try, all with health/protection by the end. Kanan and Zeb utilized backup plan off of fracture, that was it.

It maxed out protection as much as I could without sacrificing too much speed and I ended up with all 5 alive with health and protection at the end.
  • Options
    http://swgoh.gg/u/hellsteeth30/squads/106127/

I did it with that. Zebs unique was an addition today and seemed to make a difference. First attempt after that upgrade.

I ended up down to Hera and Ezra near the end. The deathtroopers technically killed the stormtrooper as they kept getting him hit with a full squad counter.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    Hm, I just now happened to omega Zeb's basic (after @DaPowerfulJedi mentioned it-- it's a pretty potent omega that I avoided simply because I started focusing on my Palpateam), but I think it's time to give Phoenix some love again.

I did, however, omega all their uniques, on the premise that they're all shared via Rise Together.

And looking at these last two posts, I'm going to see if I can wrangle some time to manage a few mod tweaks before Thrawn goes back into hiding.

But perhaps I can temporarily re-appropriate some mods from my DS team?
    Or perhaps from some organ.. erm, mod doners?
    In any event, thanks again.