New content is good, making it 100% pay to play is Bad.

Mab77
32 posts Member
First off new content that has been coming out is great. Bringing KOTOR in the mix has been amazing. Secondly I dont mind marquee events and the release cadence that follows, SOME OF THE TIME. What I don't understand is why 100% of the new toons have to be introduced this way, especially toons with supporting roles. Whats wrong with making new toons the daily login reward and then moving them to a node? It seems to me you would have made more money with the Solo toons if a few of them had been free to play right from the start. In some cases by the time the new awesome toons, we all want to use are farmable they are already irrelevant. You are driving alot of long time faithful people away from the game.

Replies

• Options
    Mab77 wrote: »
    It seems to me you would have made more money with the Solo toons if a few of them had been free to play right from the start.

This sentence directly contradicts itself and your argument of "making more money", how do they make more money off a free character?

Also the devs stated that all characters will be released in marquee events, save for new legendary/heroes journeys(IF we ever get more -_- )
  • Options
    It seems to me you would have made more money with the Solo toons if a few of them had been free to play right from the start.

This sentence directly contradicts itself and your argument of "making more money", how do they make more money off a free character?

Also the devs stated that all characters will be released in marquee events, save for new legendary/heroes journeys(IF we ever get more -_- )

I don’t think it does, and I tend to agree with him. I think the Solo characters are going to be really fun to play with and should be pretty dang good. I want to run Qira, Chewy, L3, Nest, and original Han. I’m not spending $1200 to be able to use them right away, especially without even knowing if I’m right about them.

Now, if I could have gotten several of them farmed for free and then needed to pay for Nest to complete the team, I could have seen myself doing that. I would have already invested my free resources and as long as I was having fun with it I probably would have spent to finish the team.

Are there enough people in my boat to make up for the money lost on people that were willing to pay for all of them? I can’t actually answer that. Apparently the people with all the data right now think releasing a full P2P team is the best process, so it’s hard to argue against it too much. But it’s definitley not crazy to think it’s not the most lucrative path.
  • Options

I don’t think it does, and I tend to agree with him. I think the Solo characters are going to be really fun to play with and should be pretty dang good. I want to run Qira, Chewy, L3, Nest, and original Han. I’m not spending $1200 to be able to use them right away, especially without even knowing if I’m right about them.

Now, if I could have gotten several of them farmed for free and then needed to pay for Nest to complete the team, I could have seen myself doing that. I would have already invested my free resources and as long as I was having fun with it I probably would have spent to finish the team.

Are there enough people in my boat to make up for the money lost on people that were willing to pay for all of them? I can’t actually answer that. Apparently the people with all the data right now think releasing a full P2P team is the best process, so it’s hard to argue against it too much. But it’s definitley not crazy to think it’s not the most lucrative path.

But the thing is, is it really only p2p? Just wait for them, aside from nest none of the others are really game changing imo. Sure young Han can stack some damage in p2, but with wampa teams, leia and the Jedi is that such and impact you'd need those scoundrels right now?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Having a solid release plan and removing the guess work out of when and how a toon will be released along with getting a 100% free toon, is worth not having any scraps go "direct to market". Any toon released that is worth its salt in arena (the place most people care about), is viable at 3*.

The release cadence give those paying an advantage and more diverse use of the toon, but by no means blocks anyone from using them at the free level.

The main issue (IMO) with trying to release a toon direct to market like that would be that they are assigning value to it lower than any other toon released. Does that mean this toon is underpowered or designed to be filler? Would we need it if it was? Do we want another CUP or Eeth Koth, just to have an immediately farmable toon?

I get it that not all toons have the same value, but that is not something they need to immediately decide and indicate for the players.

This release style also locks in a secondary advantage to toons that either have key supporting roles in a team for a raid or other area and allows for the dreaded platoon lock out. This is all value added to someone paying for a toon and to remove any of it devalues the system.
  • Options

But the thing is, is it really only p2p? Just wait for them, aside from nest none of the others are really game changing imo. Sure young Han can stack some damage in p2, but with wampa teams, leia and the Jedi is that such and impact you'd need those scoundrels right now?

If you are going to wait 3 months + however long it takes to farm them regardless, then I don’t think you are relevant to this discussion. The question is would they make more overall money if they made some of the characters easier to acquire to bait us into purchasing the paid characters.

A great example is actually the timing of the new Jedi characters. Do you think it’s a coincidence that they waited until after the GMY rework and right around the point nearly everyone is finishing Yoda? Having those “free” characters, along with Kenobi, made the new Jedi more desirable. And you only have to spend on 1 or 2, not 4 or 5. I wish I could see their numbers. I bet they sell more crystal packs of the 2 latest Jedi than they did of the 6 Solo characters.