LVL60 strategic leveling question (Updated content)

GoldenMaster
5 posts Member
edited August 2018
Update:

Reached LVL 59 now, got my first Phoenix Squad member on 7* (Zeb).
Haven't yet invested much Cantina energy into KRU this will come after Ezra is 7*.
Same with Cantina Coins and Boba (Waiting to finish Chopper)

But my main strategical question is where to invest my GW Shards now that Zeb is 7*.
I was thinking going for Phasma, as I need her for a decent FO team anyway, but as a Pilot I would need too many other FO toons. So my idea was Biggs, he has a decent ship i heard. any thoughts?

Old content:

Hi Guys,

I've reached lvl 50 yesterday and got my hands on the Mods as well as unlocked the next campaign on Light and Dark side.

Now to my main question: Should i keep a dark side squad on a level so it will be able to clear out the "current content" or should i keep my Phoenix Squad focus till they are maxed?

I've read that starting of Phoenix is a good idea as it gives you Thrawn, and 3/5 for Palp. also 2 Jedis are in the mix for some other challange.

but i face the problem that I can't finish the Dark side "story" without investing in some Dark squad as well. Same goes with Events that require scoundrel or rebel or whatnot. and with challanges.

Directly after start i made the mistake? of investing in Nightsisters, but not heavily so they are all <5*.

please correct me if i'm wrong but from my current view the pro/cons of the tactic are:

If I stick to Phoenix for now:
  • Good Arena Rank
  • Good chance of clearing GW each day
  • steady progress through Light side, Mod Battles and Cantina
negatives:
  • no access to proper compete in fleet wars and other ship related content
  • no access to further Dark side content and possible character shard farm spots
  • missing out on a lot of callenges and content (like Zeta, bounty hunter, ..)

So I was thinking of running an Empire Squad in parallel (which would definitely slow me down in my Phoenix progress)

I would run with Moff, Vader, TFP from Empire, and KRU as a Tank. last spot is open as i have no clue whom to include that should be easily accessible already and add some value late game, maybe Boba Fett?

From my perspective the benefits would be:
Having some decent pilots (Moff, TFP, KRU) to invest into proper a fleet
dont miss out on dark side hard nodes and once i get Palp and Thrawn having a decent Empire Squad.

This approach still does not solve my challanges and event problem.
So what do you think?

My SWGOH.gg profile is https://swgoh.gg/u/goldenmaster/

Last but not least, does it make sense to join a guild at that point? I'm still in the Starter Tier 4 Guild. And if so which guild would make sense? Any recommendations?
Post edited by GoldenMaster on

Replies

• Options
    I would keep your focus on Phoenix for now but also work on Vader, Tarkin, TFP, KRU and Boba on the side. All of those DS toons are useful for when ships unlocks (as are phoenix) so the investment won't be wasted but keeping focus on one team will help for GW and arena.

Phoenix will be able to 7* Thrawn and Palp (no other rebels needed) which can form an Empire team with Tarkin, TFP and Vader. You can then use that team for unlocking R2-D2.

I did the same with nightsisters and it's no biggie tbh. Unless you spend money you won't be on top of the stack but you can catch up as everyone reaches LVL 85 with investing in the right ships/characters. I'm free to play and now hitting top 100 arena and top 5 ships. Spend your crystals on energy refreshes to farm/level up faster and try to allocate some of your cantina energy to farming mods when you have the challenges unlocked. Phoenix will unlock health and tenacity mod challenges for you and Empire will unlock potency mod challenges for you.

As for guilds; yes! Try and find a guild doing Heroic Rancor that will take you on. There's a lot out there who can clear raids and just want active players to produce raid tickets. The benefits of this will be more guild currency, raid exclusive gear and Han Solo shards. All of which will help you progress faster.
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback, feels good to get some approval of my path :D will look out for a guild then that does rancor heroic raids,

do you know any way to find such guilds?

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    Theres a guild recruitment forum. Id get a 7 star character before moving as you would be oocked out of raids in a heroic guild as thry are 7 star only.

You just need one 7 star character to participate.
  • Options
    Naraic wrote: »

Very imprtant information for me, thank you!

I was actually slowing down Zeb's star progression for GW sake but in that case I will get back at full speed with him.
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback, feels good to get some approval of my path :D will look out for a guild then that does rancor heroic raids,

do you know any way to find such guilds?
    Theres a guild recruitment forum. Id get a 7 star character before moving as you would be oocked out of raids in a heroic guild as thry are 7 star only.

This ^^

I also forgot about the 7* requirement for heroic raids but it never hurts to put the feelers out early. Even registering a zero score will bring in Han shards, so I agree with @Naraic about getting one character up to 7* ASAP.

It's also worth noting a Scoundrel team that can clear the highest tier of credit heists is useful but not worth slowing yourself down too much for (they are also needed for crit chance mod challenges too). Credits are useful but so are crystals from arena/ship rewards and being able to clear the Tarkin ship ability materials challenge is also a massive help when you get there as it drops zeta materials.

The game will try to push and pull you in more directions than you can commit to because they want you to spend money. I've found it's best to be reasonably single minded and work on a goal until it's done and then move on. Spreading yourself too thin just means you can't do anything well enough to really reap the rewards. Once you can get decent rewards in an area; look at the next resource income to obtain.

So I'd say Phoenix first. Gets you palp, Thrawn, will help in early arena and GW and also pilots for 2 good ships. Will also unlock 2 mod challenges and they're useful for Territory battles and Territory Wars.

Then the DS toons you mentioned for unlocking farming nodes and all are useful for ships.

Then Empire with Palp and Thrawn to get you R2-D2 and a new arena team as Phoenix will drop off eventually. Will also unlock a mod challenge.

Then Scoundrels, you'll already have Boba and hopefully a good start on raid Han by this point so it's filling out the rest of the team. At this point though; remember they don't all need to be maxed (Boba's worth it for ships and raid Han is great all round). Just good enough to sim the highest tiers of credit heists and mod challenges, then you can leave the team for now and move on.

At about this point you should be good for bringing in a good amount of resources and variety of mods and you can look at either CLS toons or First Order (who also unlock offense mod challenges and BB-8).
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    You are welcome to join my guild 'The Grateful Zed', a casual but active group of mid-high level players with a sense of humor looking for more of the same.

As poodletron pointed out you wont be able to participate in high level raids just yet so if your current guild is raiding you may want to stay put a little longer.

My ally code is 391-491-948. Add me as an ally in-game if you're interested so we can chat and you will have access to some of my toons which will help you clear hard light/dark/cantina battles.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    By the way if ds battles is your worry

Ive a good palpatine set as my dark side leader if you need to borrow someone.

It can solo chapter 7 missions.
  • Options
    By the way if ds battles is your worry

Ive a good palpatine set as my dark side leader if you need to borrow someone.

It can solo chapter 7 missions.

Thank you, just checked back in the forum and saw it.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    My ally code is 391-491-948. Add me as an ally in-game if you're interested so we can chat and you will have access to some of my toons which will help you clear hard light/dark/cantina battles.

Also thank you, I'm in a local guild for now. Some other Austrians farming HPit regularly.

Added both of you just now.

Update to the copic above:

I've got Zeb 7*. now im not sure where to invest my GW Shards. Any ideas?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    I've got Zeb 7*. now im not sure where to invest my GW Shards. Any ideas?
    Save 'em. You'll unlock ships soon and GW store is a secondary source for buying precious ship shards.
  • Options
    I'm about to hit 80 tomorrow, and I haven't spent GW currency on anything except ships since I 7* Zeb. I've been #1 in my fleet shard for more than a month, and I just barely completed the 5* Tarkin challenge the same day I hit 78 and unlocked the zeta challenge. Nobody else in my fleet shard has a 5* Tarkin. Fleet needs to be your primary focus if you want to beat challenges at anything close to the level they unlock.
  • Options
    ...Fleet needs to be your primary focus if you want to beat challenges at anything close to the level they unlock.

I'm trying my best to focus on fleet, but I realized its terribly hard to farm ships reliably. They tend to change a lot. (with the exception of KRU's TIE Silencer which is really easy to farm).

I'm really struggling here at the moment as it looks impossible to get Ghost and Phantom in a reasonable amount of time, for them to carry my through low level fleet, till i get my empire toons maxed.

So im currently really playing with the idea to level the Jedi Councelor and the rebel pilot because both their ships and they themselves are easy to farm.

With only access to the silencer and Tie Fighter i basically play with 2 ships against 4 ship fleets :(

So should i stick to my plan and get Vader and Boba + their ships and hope for the Phoenix ships to gather them soon enough, or switch my focus to easier obtainable ships?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    4-shard packages, single nodes, higher energy costs and slow regen mean that ship farming is SLOW!

80 shards for Slave 1 will likely take you a 2-3 weeks, maybe more, depending how many crystals / fleet tokens you can throw at it and how lucky you are.

Vader will take even longer since his node wont open up for severla levels and his ship is rare in the fleet store.

You need to get up to 4 ships ASAP so go for what you can get right now but with a mind to future usefulness:
    * Tie Fighter is useful long term, as are Ghost and Phantom
    * Consular works well for me since I had him 7*'d and use Ackbar's cap ship. He may be less useful if you run Tarkin's cap ship or don't have him powered up but his ship is a relatively easy farm as ships go
    * Slave 1 looks good on paper but I have seen a number of folks saying it gets benched eventually and it is a slow farm
    * Clone Sergent's Arc sucks imho so build it up a bit if you have to but don't dump too much into it

Note that for capital ship upgrades you will need increasing number of fighters & stars of either light side Ackbar / Windu) or Dark Side (Tarkin) so keep that in the back of your mind as you get up towards lvl 80.