Mark Hamill return

Prev134
Do any of us TLJ haters have any excitement for episode 9 now that we know hes been cast?

Could they possible repair his character?
How will they do it?

Replies

• I was excited to hear that Leia will be in the film - JJ said they will be using previously shot but unused footage.
  • Nah, he'd have to Force Erase Rian Johnson and all his works off the face of history to make me excited for IX.

I am half interested to see how Mr Abrams writes his way out of that last disaster though.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Doubt he'll be more than a force ghost.
  • mcshant wrote: »
    Im more excited for clone wars.

I reserve judgement on that one. See how it turns out first. As long as they don't tinker with the formula much they should be good.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • If they “repair” the character, it may be a force ghost guiding rey and he’ll try to correct his mistakes of not training her and “haunt” Kylo.
  • cdhek
    61 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    I don’t think Rian Johnston is a bad director but what was K.K / Disney thinking when they greenlit that script? That script was horrid in that it had no continuity from ep 7, the story was dumb, and it left the resistance with a handful of people on the millennium falcon .. so less than 20 people and one ship have a shot against the first order? Please. And why did Hodor have to pilot the ship into the first order fleet? Isn’t there a droid kicking around? One small ship jumps to light speed and takes out 5 destroyers? Why didn’t someone do that sooner? 1 ship 1 pilot kills 10s of thousands .. anyone at Disney question ‘bombers’ in space where there is no gravity?
    The near slapstick attempt at comedy between G.Hux and KR at the end made the FO seem foolish, not dangerous .. compared to Vader and Palp, those two would not invoke any sort of dread now that the script killed off Snoke.
    What they did to luke was the biggest slap in the face.

Rian Johnston had no business writing a script that was basically a stand alone film that ignored the set up given by Abrams.

Ep 8 destroyed the Solo stand alone which was actually a good movie and deserved a better fate.

And people though Lucas’s prequels were bad. They were actually very good in comparison! Bring George back

Edited for language. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Well he'll likely be a force ghost only.

All will be forgiven if Darth Jar Jar replaces Snoke as the main villain - the phantom menace.

I've been a big fan of the Darth Jar Jar theory ever since it was thought up.

It explains - the actions of Jar Jar.

How he got exiled. How he can become a general and senator. How he could persuade the senate to give Chancellor Palpatine the necessary powers, etc.
  • Rojas
    336 posts Member
    I like the new rumors that Thrawn and Ahsoka will be in EP9, we'll see.
  • I really tried to like Ep8, but after every viewing I disliked it more and more. I think I'm gonna have to rank it as the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Which is truly disappointing because JJ Abrams set up easy homeruns for Rian Johnson.

He whiffed on every single one.

Not only that, nothing about Ep8 is linear with ANY of the previous seven saga films.

As a stand alone film, sure, there were some good parts. But it's like a round peg trying to be forced into a square whole.

I think people who say, "I loved it because it's something different and not what we expected" are kidding themselves. You can do that, for sure, with other Star Wars movies that don't already have SEVEN movies that connect to each other. Rian Johnson should've taken the massive, easy, win JJ set up for him and then done his own thing with his trilogy. And we all would've been hyped for it.

But he failed and this movie fractured the fanbase.

Solo was actually pretty good but the fans were upset with Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's attitude towards the fans who didn't like it.

JJ Abrams has a MONUMENTAL task ahead of him.

Side Note: They need to give Dave Filoni full creative control over the entire brand. Maybe not give him Studio Head just yet, but all scripts and storyboards need to be given the OK by Filoni.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Can't wait til it comes on TV. But... I will.
  • I have mentioned this before elsewhere and it's relevant here. Many (including myself in the beginning) are excited to see JJ back on the next SW movie. Ummm, he never left. He was the Executive Producer of TLJ. So he green lit Rians changes and path etc. I don't think SW9 will be the "New hope" but more of just another SW movie. Fingers crossed, not holding my breath though.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    I really hope hes not a force ghost. I want him back for real. I dont mind if they kill him again for good but let him go out show casing his power and in a huge galaxy saving self sacrifice.

Uh... did you see TLJ?
  • Undoubtedly a Force ghost. What that means is anybody's guess. He will probably spend his screen time whining and telling Rey to stop doing things, then she will beat him, Yoda, Kenobi, Anakin, and Windu in an epic Force battle, destroying their ghosts by rapidly projecting her astral self behind each of them for the lightsaber backstab of transcendent death.

On the other hand, perhaps ghost Luke will finally take on the mentor role we wanted from him, and possibly more. We already learned that ghost Yoda can interact with the living world by calling lightning down from the heavens, so simply being dead no longer means as much as it used to. Plus, not only has Luke already learned how to project his astral self, but he also learned how to create objects that interact with the physical plane, at least temporarily (recall the dice he gave to Leia ... but why dice? idk). If he could do these things while still alive himself, how much more will he be able to do now that he has transcended mortal limitations to become one with the Force? He could probably spirit himself around to everywhere and interact with all manner of physical items, buttons, controls, doors, blasters, starfighters, lightsabers, on and on. Perhaps Force Ghost Luke Skywalker has ascended to omnipotent godhood status, with the ability to do anything. But with his newfound omniscience, will he be actually motivated to do anything to help those still toiling about in their physical existence?

But back up a minute. Why did Yoda call down the lightning on the ancient tree that housed the ancient Jedi texts? Luke intended to destroy them, but then instead decided to retrieve them (I think), only to be foiled by the insane ghost of Yoda who set the tree ablaze. Yet we see at the end of TLJ that Rey had already stolen the books from the tree, she had them tucked into a drawer on the Falcon. So why did Yoda destroy the tree? He must have known the texts were not in there; was he trying to hide the truth from Luke? Why?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I really hope hes not a force ghost. I want him back for real. I dont mind if they kill him again for good but let him go out show casing his power and in a huge galaxy saving self sacrifice.

Uh... did you see TLJ?

Er he didnt save the galaxy just a dozen people. I also mean more throwing stuff around, tearing stuff up, chopping people into bits. Not just a little pretend lightsaber dual

Flipping around and blowing things up would have just been pandering to the prequel fans who’ve forgotten that the Jedi are supposed to be creative, defensive, and pacifist when possible. Only dark side users would use the force in such a violent and shallow mannar. The Sith use the Force as a weapon, not Jedi.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Oh and dont forget "use the force Luke" perfect example of a jedi encouraging the use of the force as a weapon

Yoda: Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
    Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
    Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.
    Luke: But tell my why I can't...
    Yoda: No, no! There is no "why".

Luke’s sacrifice in TLJ perfectly embodies this ethic. Blowing up all the AT-ATs is something Kylo Ren would do because of his destructive personality and simplistic understanding of the capabilities of the Force. Luke is not, and never has been this kind of destructive person. His studies with Yoda and his time in self imposed exile allowed him to transcend that kind of shallow behavior. Luke defeated Kylo without a single blow and that alone makes him one of the most powerful and true Jedi the series has ever seen. If you don’t understand this, then you probably don’t understand why Obi-Wan’s sacrifice in ep 4 was so meaningful.

If all you want out of star wars is flips, explosions, and pandering violence, then stick with the prequels.
    518 posts Member
    I know you american people have been hating Rose Tico but I actually don't. I hated the all Holdo part keeping the "secret" plan. I hate the fact that since Ep VII, using the force means nothing.
    Rey was able to use it all by herself like if it was nothing. And then, to destroy it more, they make a child use it to catch his mop...
    I'm sorry but bringing back force ghost luke won't make me feel different about this.
    As someone said, Clone wars is what bring chills.
  • After they've butchered most of what Star Wars means...I'm out.

Sorry Mark.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I was excited to hear that Leia will be in the film - JJ said they will be using previously shot but unused footage.

I was excited about this too - then I saw an interview with Kathleen (the devil) Kennedy, who said that it wouldn't be possible and there isn't enough footage of Carrie to include her in a role in the new movie.

Clearly Lucasfilm are all very confused - what is going on with Leia's character?????

As for Luke - force ghost is the most logical explanation - but if objects or drips of water can "teleport" across the galaxy due tot he force - then perhaps Luke's disappearing act at the end of TLJ was merely him teleporting off planet to join the resistance??? Maybe he never actually died.

Lando of course will now make a move with either Leia or Chewie now Han is out of the picture, I'm guessing Chewie - but he may contend with Maz there.

Maybe Lando will woo Kylo instead. Lando can be the resistance's secret weapon, showing Kylo love and redeeming him to the Light side, lol

Lando's re-appearance does nothing for me - he is not a major character from the OT in comparison to Han, Luke or Leia - and they have ruined all 3, so Lando showing up...Big woop, lol
  • Guest wrote: »
    I know you american people have been hating Rose Tico but I actually don't. I hated the all Holdo part keeping the "secret" plan. I hate the fact that since Ep VII, using the force means nothing.
    Rey was able to use it all by herself like if it was nothing. And then, to destroy it more, they make a child use it to catch his mop...
    I'm sorry but bringing back force ghost luke won't make me feel different about this.

I feel bad for the actress playing Rose. Rian Johnson said he knew the character Rose Tico, didn't fit the story or Star Wars for that matter he just wanted her in. So he knew there would be problems and didn't care. He really is a novice director, in fact it is Kathleen Kennedys fault for putting a multi billion dollar IP in the hands of a relatively unknown director. Alot of the "Toxic" pushback they moan about is perpetuated by Lucasfilms to cushion the blows if SW9 fails like Solo. They can just blame the fandom when Darth Mickey wants an explanation. And even they have a fall back in place with the rumors of K.Kenndy being let go soon. If SW9 fails they will throw her under the bus to appease the stockholders. I wish ROTJ was the end and they started new hundreds of years later.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Guest wrote: »

I feel bad for the actress playing Rose. Rian Johnson said he knew the character Rose Tico, didn't fit the story or Star Wars for that matter he just wanted her in. So he knew there would be problems and didn't care. He really is a novice director, in fact it is Kathleen Kennedys fault for putting a multi billion dollar IP in the hands of a relatively unknown director. Alot of the "Toxic" pushback they moan about is perpetuated by Lucasfilms to cushion the blows if SW9 fails like Solo. They can just blame the fandom when Darth Mickey wants an explanation. And even they have a fall back in place with the rumors of K.Kenndy being let go soon. If SW9 fails they will throw her under the bus to appease the stockholders. I wish ROTJ was the end and they started new hundreds of years later.

True - but they could also have continued and just done it right as well - its not hard, especially having soooooo many good EU stories to draw from, we get something like TFA and especially ...TLJ???

Doesn't make any sense to me.

We want good Star Wars movies Disney & Lucasfilm - Not Excuses!
  • Boo wrote: »

True - but they could also have continued and just done it right as well - its not hard, especially having soooooo many good EU stories to draw from, we get something like TFA and especially ...TLJ???

Rian is the very essence of "The New Guy" or new employee, in a long established firm. Lots of ideas, lots of suggestions, not realizing or considering they have all either been suggested or tried and dismissed as they were not worth implementing or viable. He got excited, and was told he had free reign. And well, made SW into a high school comedy. It's breakfast club in a galaxy far far away. This is the hazard of youth versus experience. When you are literally playing with billions in the balance, you play it safe, ask tons of questions and get your feet wet. Stay true to the stories vision, not your own, and reap the rewards, then finish the Skywalker Trilogy and THEN make your own SW arc. This is not rocket science. But oh well..
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Rian is the very essence of "The New Guy" or new employee, in a long established firm. Lots of ideas, lots of suggestions, not realizing or considering they have all either been suggested or tried and dismissed as they were not worth implementing or viable. He got excited, and was told he had free reign. And well, made SW into a high school comedy. It's breakfast club in a galaxy far far away. This is the hazard of youth versus experience. When you are literally playing with billions in the balance, you play it safe, ask tons of questions and get your feet wet. Stay true to the stories vision, not your own, and reap the rewards, then finish the Skywalker Trilogy and THEN make your own SW arc. This is not rocket science. But oh well..

What? I don’t understand the “new guy” or “breakfast club” analogies. Also, the worst parts of TLJ were the really generic, sappy, and tacked on parts (Rose/Finn, bad dialogue, etc), not the parts that were new and innovative (force skype, Luke’s sacrifice, getting rid of boring villains). Keep in mind that people roasted TFA because it played it safe.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »

What? I don’t understand the “new guy” or “breakfast club” analogies. Also, the worst parts of TLJ were the really generic, sappy, and tacked on parts (Rose/Finn, bad dialogue, etc), not the parts that were new and innovative (force skype, Luke’s sacrifice, getting rid of boring villains). Keep in mind that people roasted TFA because it played it safe.

Rian said he added Rose because she reminded him of a person he'd hang out with in high school. (Breakfast Club) as for New Guy, his resume compared to JJ's is self explanatory. 5mil personal (Rian) to JJ's 120 mil. I get it they wanted to move past the OT and break new ground, if he had played it safe, he would have us speculating about the NT he is working on, and excited to see new.

JJ had a 3 movie arc layed out, Rian threw it away. He earned the fall out. Now he has to own it.
  • I think I should mention why this seems to trigger myself and possibly others, is the new trilogy feels like get rid of the old farts and get on with the new. I turn 60 in October. I face this mentality daily. I guess seeing it handled as they have in SW, stings a bit.