Mod updates, color coding and color blindness.

Prev1
Is it possible to either add a color blind mode or some sort of other visual cue to indicate which mods are A,B,C, etc?

As a guy with red/green color blindness I really cannot distinguish between a D mod and an A mod and on most screens the blue and purple of C and B blend together as well. This is the most common form of color blindness overall and affects around 6% of the male population.

With the coming update this becomes even more of an issue since the color coding is used as a way to quickly scan through the various mods on your characters and in your inventory and discern which ones you might want to upgrade or remove.

Replies

• Options
    I’m pretty sure it will still say “tier C holo-array” and the like. The tier will tell you what colour it is.
  • Options
    All the mods will have differnt colors now. Noone will understand anything anymore
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    59quzwfd25go.png
    Yes it says “e” 2 times so color is not the only way to tell the difference.
  • Options
    I thought I clarified with my third paragraph that the issue is really with scanning over screens where the ABCDE does not appear.

Things like this.

Oi8luDF.jpg

Or this.

LBD1xXP.jpg

Yeah, I can click on each individual mod to figure out whether it is a D or an A, but I can't actually visually scan across these screens and pick them out by color. This isn't that important now because all mods become A once they are upgraded and there is nothing more to do after that, but now that they are adding this slicing ability if I want to scan through and find a D mod that could be upgraded to A it will be really difficult overall.

It seems like the filtering and sorting might give a workaround, but it would be a nice accommodation for us visually impaired folks to have some sort of alternate color scheme for the mods that don't blend together as much.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. The blue and purple look the same and the green and gold look the same. Up until now it was only a slight inconvenience, but after this change I’m going have a rough time with this game. Please consider changing the color palate or find some other way to help distinguish them. I know we only make up 5% of the male population, but it this might actually cause me to stop playing after being with the game from the start. I already spend way too much time in the game and this will just slow things down to a crawl for me when sorting through mods.
  • Rhialto
    21 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    For context for those that aren’t color blind, imagine looking at the top screenshot I posted above and being told there are two green mods in it.
  • Rhialto
    21 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The filter thing works to help distinguish those particular colors except it makes everything else in the game that is red look like it’s gone through a neon pink furnace among other things. And there is a lot of red in the game. Basically, using the filter makes everything on your device look horrid.

**screenshot no work, see below**
    Post edited by Rhialto on
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    That screen shot looks normal to me the red does have a pinkish glow. You can also try to adjust hue and intensity to fine tune it .
  • Xerrath
    177 posts Member
    Options
    As much as I agree there is no difference in color for mods it’s not likely a top concern since people can view the mod with more detail. I would not expect any change to be made to accommodate those with color deficiency (I myself have red/green and blue/yellow) so it’s frustrating but reality is what it is
  • Options
    I realize now that I came back to the thread that I can't actually screenshot the thing from the iPad as the color adjustment doesn't get put into the screenshot. Of course, this wasn't obvious since I still had the adjustment on when I posted the screenshot.

Here is a picture of the game on my iPad that I took with my phone.

hIQX8d4.jpg?1
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Options
    Rhialto wrote: »
    I realize now that I came back to the thread that I can't actually screenshot the thing from the iPad as the color adjustment doesn't get put into the screenshot. Of course, this wasn't obvious since I still had the adjustment on when I posted the screenshot.

hIQX8d4.jpg?1

But if you're red green colorblind isn't the red turning to a different color what you want?
  • Options
    Ephran wrote: »

hIQX8d4.jpg?1

But if you're red green colorblind isn't the red turning to a different color what you want?

Like I said, the effect works in that I can discern the differences between the boxes, but at the same time it makes everything look like garbage. I still see a neon pink disco up there the same as you when this filter is on so it makes the game unplayable in that respect.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    I don’t think video game makers are going to create something new, they would just implement this same tool, so it seems you won’t find resolve for your rare impairment.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A simple answer would be to just put a number of the tier of the mod ontop of the mod when you are scanning through them, add that as like an option in the menu's. With it turned on, anyone could easily see what mod level each mod is.

Or even the letter, there is lots of blank space available too, could just press space at the bottom of mods and add a letter in or something.

Or change the colours to help, I Mean, there is lots of options.
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    Options
    Ephran wrote: »

hIQX8d4.jpg?1

Like I said, the effect works in that I can discern the differences between the boxes, but at the same time it makes everything look like garbage. I still see a neon pink disco up there the same as you when this filter is on so it makes the game unplayable in that respect.

I just don't see much difference to how it is now, except it's pink instead of red. The red is always glaring. I know Nintendo has a setting that inverts all the colors for colorblindness, you might want to give that a try.
  • Options
    Being color blind myself I would love to see something done to make the mods more distinguishable. I just dont expect much at this point....
  • Options
    I don't understand why games developers never think about colorblind users when designing their games. I can't even play Mario Cart because i can't tell if I'm holding a green or a red turtle shell.

I kinda expect for CG to do nothing about this, because why should they care that 5-10% of there users can't tell which mod they have at a glance.

Anyway it's really a huge pain to not be able to quickly tell the difference between an A and D mod for a B and C mod.

And for all those people that suggest tweaking the colors on the device, that's not an acceptable way to fix a problem caused by the developers choosing a bad color scheme.
  • Options
    I don't understand why games developers never think about colorblind users when designing their games. I can't even play Mario Cart because i can't tell if I'm holding a green or a red turtle shell.

I kinda expect for CG to do nothing about this, because why should they care that 5-10% of there users can't tell which mod they have at a glance.

Anyway it's really a huge pain to not be able to quickly tell the difference between an A and D mod for a B and C mod.

And for all those people that suggest tweaking the colors on the device, that's not an acceptable way to fix a problem caused by the developers choosing a bad color scheme.

This ^

Many games today implement the same color scheme for rarities the same way SWGOH does (white, green, blue, purple and gold/orange), like Borderlands, for instance. And even there they have a color blind filter in game for it.

6% of the male population is a lot (and this is a heavy male-populated game), and a11y should always be taken into consideration when designing visual content.
    I feel the pain you guys have with these types of suggestions, even though I'm not color blind. External tools does not fix the issue as good as a in-game one, and there's a bunch of articles on it as well.

I'm all for adding on setting a dropdown with the color blindness type and change the palette accordingly (not only post-processing). Invite people with the issue to test it on test accounts and roll it out.
  • Options
    Is it possible to either add a color blind mode or some sort of other visual cue to indicate which mods are A,B,C, etc?

As a guy with red/green color blindness I really cannot distinguish between a D mod and an A mod and on most screens the blue and purple of C and B blend together as well. This is the most common form of color blindness overall and affects around 6% of the male population.

With the coming update this becomes even more of an issue since the color coding is used as a way to quickly scan through the various mods on your characters and in your inventory and discern which ones you might want to upgrade or remove.

There's a new medication that helps with Color Blindness. It's made by Pfizer. It's called Ligma.
  • Killbot5000
    714 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am in the same boat. The blue and purple look the same and the green and gold look the same. Up until now it was only a slight inconvenience, but after this change I’m going have a rough time with this game. Please consider changing the color palate or find some other way to help distinguish them. I know we only make up 5% of the male population, but it this might actually cause me to stop playing after being with the game from the start. I already spend way too much time in the game and this will just slow things down to a crawl for me when sorting through mods.

100% agreed. I love most of the modern changes, but the color scheme has absolutely no reason to be changed.
    I've stood by this game since early 2016 with all the ups and downs, and have always been very positive about new changes. This one is the first update that actually really frustrates me. I hope I'm wrong but I can see my enjoyment going downhill fast due to this one little change, simply because of my vision.
  • Options

100% agreed. I love most of the modern changes, but the color scheme has absolutely no reason to be changed.

There's a new medication that helps with Color Blindness. It's made by Pfizer. It's called Ligma.

And probably has 1 million listed side effects, including blindness.
  • Mrboma
    31 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I am not color blind, but I fully support implementing some sort of visual cue to help people who are to easily discern the new mod tiers. There is space next to the dots or elsewhere on the mod for them to add a letter indicator.

Edited for content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Options
    As someone who is colorblind, I would love this feature. For me the blue and purple look the same, so does the green and gold. It irritating to have to click and drill down on the mos to see what tier it is.
  • EA_Cian
    971 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options
    I've removed some posts from the thread and would ask people to please keep it on-topic and appropriate. Thank you!

giphy.gif
  • Options
    Cg will implement a colorblindness mode and charge $89.99 for it through a store pack, with this pack you will also receive a full set each of 4 dot mods!!!! Alternatively the FTP player could use crystals to enable the mode on each mod individually, starting at the low price of 100 crystals per mod. The button will be located suspiciously near the upgrade button and easily mis hit by players, there will be no confirmation screen initially, and after a few month they will fix this glitch apologizing, adding a confirmation screen and giving everyone 5 CW chewy shards.

The above joke is not to be taken seriously...
  • Options
    I’ve had the same problem with this. Really struggle with the green and gold and probably worse with the blue and purple. And to reinforce it’s the scanning of mods that’s the problem.