QoL or something else?

Prev1
We've been asking for mod management probably for the past 2 years. It's been the most requested QoL update to the game and naive me thought that when mod management was announced, it would be about QoL, unfortunately it seems like we're just being subjects to a money making decision since this QoL comes at a cost: 6 dot mods.

I mean 5 dot mods have been in this game for so long and I still don't even have more than 1 set over 100, now we must start over and not only that, we have to craft them and nobody knows the aquisition rate of the crafting materials. One thing is certain, it will be available for real money which will give a huge advantage to p2p in arena, raids and TW.

Then you announced that mod farming will get a separate energy from cantina. To anyone who thinks this is a good change, think again, it's going to cost 100 crystals for the first 3 refreshes, it's going to have a huge cost per sim and very bad drop rates so most likely you aren't getting more than 10-15 mods a day with a less than 1% chance of getting a mod you can ever use.

Also this is going to only benefit whales since separating mod farming and character farming will only serve as a discount for the first 3+3 refreshes instead of doing 6 with the previous system which would cost 300 more crystals. So this way new whales can start catching up with reasonable amounts of money.

So is this really about QoL or maybe something else?

Replies

• Options
    Uh... the way that CH handled this is phenomenal. Would you rather them just dish out 6• mods and make everyone’s 5• mods worthless overnight? Everyone’s investment in 5• mods is saved and now a 5• mod can be made 6•. Furthmore now we can move sets of mods from various characters. A+. Plus speed get upped by 2 while other stats go up by as much as what? 80%+? This is a great move by CG. And if people want to spend on gear 12, or shards or mad material that’s their choice. And CG made this game to make money... I don’t think they could have done this any better to be honest.
  • Aluxtu
    420 posts Member
    Options
    I'm quite pleased with what I've read on mods. Nervous about the difficulty to push them to 6 dots as it will add more grind, but happy none the less.
  • Options
    The only thing I'm not excited about is the only people that are going to be able to slice their mods, are the people that can farm the Hsith raid. I'm in an old shard, but my guild can't farm Traya yet, Bastila put me back in the top of my arena shard, but if the Traya lead teams get even faster and stronger, I'm going to fall out.... The raid is just super important, and it's difficult raise in the ranks if your ENTIRE guild doesn't step up. Know what I mean??
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    I thought slicing materials will come from mod battles, not from Heroic Sith.
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Options
    Slicing materials will come through mod battles. So everyone starts off the same. (If you have all the mod battles completed to this point)
    Has nothing to do with STR.
  • Options
    KueChael wrote: »
    Slicing materials will come through mod battles. So everyone starts off the same. (If you have all the mod battles completed to this point)
    jkray622 wrote: »

Doesn't that make it even more p2p friendly, like the 30$ packs for ship materials. That's what I'm getting it to, it's almost certain that we won't be able to to get our mods to 6 dot fast unless we pay...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Doesn't that make it even more p2p friendly, like the 30$ packs for ship materials. That's what I'm getting it to, it's almost certain that we won't be able to to get our mods to 6 dot fast unless we pay...

This is the game right here. It is and always will be true.

You want things fast(er) >> $$. Time = $$.
  • Options
    Nevertheless you will still be able to put 6• mods on all of your Arena team toons... it’ll just take longer than P2P. And if you don’t really want to wait then buy the slicing energy refreshes.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Nevertheless you will still be able to put 6• mods on all of your Arena team toons... it’ll just take longer than P2P. And if you don’t really want to wait then buy the slicing energy refreshes.

So you don't disagree with my post? My problem is true then, another arena of the game which hadn't been p2w is turning into p2w under the guise of QoL, that's the purpose of my post and you guys just confirmed it.
  • Options
    News Flash- P2P Players are the ones paying the bill for every new development in the game.

The dev's for SWGOH have gone way further out of their way to include F2P in every new development than every other micro-transaction game I've played.
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When are people going to stop being shocked and surprised that changes to the game are designed to increase cash flow to EA?

That doesn't mean that such changes are bad for the community, in fact changes that are bad for the community (as a whole, on the long term) are generally not made (mistakes aside) as reducing the community size decreases potential cash flow. e.g, changes to mods can be good for the game/community AND good for EA's cash flow, and given what's been detailed so far regarding this change, probably will be.

So the mod changes are:
    A QOL improvement for mod management.
    A change to mods to allow players to do more with them. (upgrades to 6, upgrade grays to golds, etc)
    A change to certain mod sets to make them more competitive.
    A chance for EA to bring in more money.
  • Options
    To the OP, not trying to be snarky here, but it seems your mainly upset your competing against P2P when your F2P.
    Easy eay to change that, pay. Then your on the same level.
    Don't want to pay, don't, but I wouldn't go throwing blame at the players that keep this game going.
    I also say all this as a F2P player. I'm excited for these mod changes. It'll be different at first but I'll be able to work out how I wanna do it... All as F2P.
  • Options

So you don't disagree with my post? My problem is true then, another arena of the game which hadn't been p2w is turning into p2w under the guise of QoL, that's the purpose of my post and you guys just confirmed it.

What aspect of the game are you talking about? If ita mods in general are you serioisly saying that a whale couldn't buy a million refreshes for mods, refreshes on the mod store and all the credits they need to upgrade them at will?

Its exactly the same with the mods on the gamechanger/ tester accounts. They arent given the mods they just have unlimited resources to farm them
  • Options
    Schustring wrote: »
    News Flash- P2P Players are the ones paying the bill for every new development in the game.

The dev's for SWGOH have gone way further out of their way to include F2P in every new development than every other micro-transaction game I've played.

Just because you pay for extra stuff in a game it doesn't grant you the right to gain a competitive advantage and basically pay to win
  • Options

Just because you pay for extra stuff in a game it doesn't grant you the right to gain a competitive advantage and basically pay to win

Um, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly why you’d pay, at least for the people dropping hundreds of $$ on this game. It’d be pretty lame if paying all that didn’t give you an advantage, right?
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    Two sides of everything. Bottom line is they need to make money so they can keep servers running and payroll, so if your not buying, enjoy the game that others are paying to keep alive.
  • Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    Two sides of everything. Bottom line is they need to make money so they can keep servers running and payroll, so if your not buying, enjoy the game that others are paying to keep alive.

Do you think the pricing is based on development/ running costs?

I guarantee you that all AAA games with multiplayer functionality costs significantly more to develop, and you can get a whole game for what? 1/6th of one premium character
  • Options
    I think these mod changes are great for the vast majority of the player base (who will never even look at these forums).
    I have some friends who play this game and they have no idea about mods. They pretty much only have health mods and even then they regularly use characters with 1 dot or even no mods.
    I don't begrudge someone who wants to pay $300 for a new marquee character that I can get for in a few months.
    When I started playing there was a real pay wall, with characters you couldn't realistically get unless you paid money. Now there is nothing that is unattainable for the f2p.
    There are plenty of f2p people in the top guilds getting their Treya at the same time as the p2p people.
    No one is going to be happy with every change made but I don't see this change as a cash grab.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Nope nothing in this game is P2W. P2P yes, they get an advantage, that advantage is time. Time can be made up, through good planning and focus. Any advantage is lost over time, unless they keep investing to get this advantage.

If they wanted to make it P2W, they would have made a nee system to get 6 or 7 dot mods and given no one any options to go from 5 to 6. This move allowed everyone to stay competitive.

Yes it will require a grind, what doesnt, but it's not something new that just gives better stats. They come from what we already have. F2p, or p2p. If you have good mods they will get better.
  • Options

Nope nothing in this game is P2W. P2P yes, they get an advantage, that advantage is time. Time can be made up, through good planning and focus. Any advantage is lost over time, unless they keep investing to get this advantage.

If they wanted to make it P2W, they would have made a nee system to get 6 or 7 dot mods and given no one any options to go from 5 to 6. This move allowed everyone to stay competitive.

Yes it will require a grind, what doesnt, but it's not something new that just gives better stats. They come from what we already have. F2p, or p2p. If you have good mods they will get better.

Kyno, come on man do you think a person with a fully 6 dot modded team is going to struggle against a person with 1 character with 6 dots and 4 with 5s
  • Options

Kyno, come on man do you think a person with a fully 6 dot modded team is going to struggle against a person with 1 character with 6 dots and 4 with 5s

Yup, you do know squad comp is just as important right. . .

• Options

Yup, you do know squad comp is just as important right. . .

Assuming you have identical squad compositions
  • Options
    Of course this game is about money making decisions, what else would it be about? This is a free game with in app purchases. Also, when you buy something it doesn't last forever. It's like every other game, something new will come along every couple of months. With no revenue, we would have one buggy game with no updates. Get used to this as everyone does it, not just this game but 1000's of them.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

It doesn't grant you a competitive advantage that a F2P cant get it. It's just means that a P2P will get there faster. As it should, otherwise what would be the point for the P2Pers? They wouldnt pay, and then there wouldnt be a game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Yes.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    Back to op I enjoy my swgoh without 30 second advertisements every 2 minutes.
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Options

You do understand that mods are currently p2w right? Whales can buy credits strate from the store to purchase every amazing 5dot speed secondary that pops up in the mod store. I'm all for calling CG out on their **** but I'm not going to drag them through to mud because their update is likely to have an avenue to allow p2p players to farm these slicing materials faster. Now if that balance between f2p and p2p with the new mod changes isnt good then there's something to complain about. Since we haven't been given any information on how we can get these materials other than they will be in mod missions I guess we will just have to wait.
  • Schustring
    31 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Yes it does.... why else would people pay?

I'm tired of complaints about new developments in the game being a cash grab. They are, CG never claimed they are not, and without CG grabbing some cash not only would there be no more new developments but no reason for them to keep the servers running.

It's not personal, it's just business.

CG has been extremely sensitive to their F2P players though, something most micro-transaction games are not. I see people on these forums complain about a for-profit company trying to make money on the things they have invested in and in the same breath say how they hate marquee events... who do you think the marquee events were created for? To appease P2P players? No... they are going to get the latest and greatest characters no matter what, right? They created marquee events to appease F2P players who complained they had no way of obtaining new awesome characters (like thrawn, bb-8, CLS). CG found a way to give F2P players new characters while allowing P2P a way to max them out if they choose...

Love marquee or hate them, that model was designed to make F2P players happy not P2P.
  • Options
    I’m so happy that 6* mods are a grind. I was hoping for exclusivity like a raid reward but this is even more so.
    There is a long history of ftp team comps doing well in arena. Besides traya there is in no super exclusive p2w toon or squad.

5 dot mods will still matter for a very long time. And that’s great because for years we have been grinding 5 dot mods. There was a huge fear that they would be null and void when 6* mods came out.

Don’t want to rush to praise the devs before it’s implemented- but this looks good on paper, so far.
    Complicated, but I’m sure the great minds here will find the best route to go. This game is a grind and I’m happy that a very important piece of this game continues that tradition.
  • Options
    I’m so happy that 6* mods are a grind. I was hoping for exclusivity like a raid reward but this is even more so.
    There is a long history of ftp team comps doing well in arena. Besides traya there is in no super exclusive p2w toon or squad.

5 dot mods will still matter for a very long time. And that’s great because for years we have been grinding 5 dot mods. There was a huge fear that they would be null and void when 6* mods came out.

Don’t want to rush to praise the devs before it’s implemented- but this looks good on paper, so far.
    Complicated, but I’m sure the great minds here will find the best route to go. This game is a grind and I’m happy that a very important piece of this game continues that tradition.

With you on this. The alternative would have been to just release new 6* mods and, essentially, make everything we've collected meaningless. That's not to say I'm in love with, yet, another grind but the game must progress and I also see this as the lesser of two evils.

To the OP - CG has done a number of things that were closer to P2W. The ridiculous Vet grind to get JTR the first time was definitely among them. The original Tournament where it was Crystals to do refreshes for very exclusive characters was another.

So I'm not saying CG is innocent in any way, and I have small armory of axes to grind with them. But this move on the mods, in an effort to keep the progress upwards flowing, one of the better moves they made. Except this green mod thing... that's was a kick to the groin.

AND with a grain of salt... because until I see it implemented and it comes with a ton of bugs, issues, redacted statements, followed up with chewie shards I'll reserve final judgement.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice