I'm at a dead end in gear farming - how do I continue?

I started playing around 2 months ago now and was lucky to find the Farming road map guides rather early, taking the Phoenix route and so on.

Fast forward, I'm currently lvl 77 with my Phoenix squad around G9, except for Kanan and Zeb. I wanted to continue down this road for a bit longer, to make sure I can get 7* Thrawn next time he's around.

And this is where I hit the road block.

To continue gearing Zeb and Kanan I need to start farming the dreaded mk 5 Stun Guns, which become available as soon as Dark Side node 7E. However, in my DS battles, I'm currently up to 5J (normal) and am starting to struggle already.

I wanted to know, at this point, should I leave Phoenix for what it is and start working on an Empire squad? I thought Scoundrels were even more important, but they're not good enough for a full DS squad because I went for STHan and Lando.

If I were to put together my strongest DS toons right now, it'd be Boba, Cad Bane, EP, Vader and Thrawn. Switch over to farming something like TFP/Tarkin is going to take ages, and I went the rebel/ackbar route in Fleet arena so it would probably hurt my ships too. Do I try to gear up the aforementioned EP/Thrawn/Vader/Cad/Boba squad hoping for the best? I'm already short on mk III materials for their abilities so I need to be sure before I make my next step here.

I'll add my swgoh.gg here for those who want to take a closer look.

https://swgoh.gg/u/livid617/collection/

I really hope someone can help me out here and show me the way.

Replies

• Options
    Im sitting on about 40 toons that need a Stun Gun right now. Some even want the golden version. Dont let yourself be discouraged by the gear, you have by no means reached a dead end ;)
  • Options
    Definitely get Palp and Thrawn geared up. Palps lead alone will help with DS battles and Thrawn can keep troublemakers under control. Palp is extremely easy to gear, not that it makes much difference. Thrawn isn't too bad either. Vader is pretty tanky anyway but he needs some pesky droid callers which are even more obnoxious than stun guns to get.

Oh and you'll be wanting no less than 5 dot mods sooner rather than later. Anything with speed preferably. Though don't go too mad as change is a coming shortly.

You can dump Cad bane (just keep him around for heists) in favour of one of the above two.

Also see about gathering some stupidly powerful allies for the LS/DS/Cantina battles too. They'll make a big difference. That said, 3 starring node 9 Cantinas is going to be a lot of trouble for me right now even with big shots helping.

You'll be continually short on mk iii purple mats for at least the next few months, just the way it works. Eventually that turns into omegas, and then purples and omegas and zetas.

There's always something.

Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that's a decent squad, but ditch cad. Think about someone like ventress or even daka. Both are fairly easy farms and will be a better fit for clearing vs missions.

DS healers are few and far between and make thos missions easier.

If you are hitting the wall on LS or DS missions it's already past time to be working on that team. Phoenix is a good start. But once you have palp and 6* thrawn, move on until you have a better chance to focus on a 7* thrawn.
  • Options
    What type of guild are you in? How often are you raiding (should be 3x Rancor and 2x AAT per week). A lot of stun guns come from raid rewards. The more frequently you raid, the better. If you're not in a guild getting 25k+ raid tickets per day, find one that is. Check the recruiting section of the forums. I'm sure there are more advanced guilds that would be happy to have you for your 600 tickets per day.

I'd think strongly about Tarkin and TFP for two reasons - first, Tarkin's leadership gives you a pretty good speed boost for the DS missions and his offense down / TM removal specials can really help. TFP gives you a second AoE as well. Second, you will need those to get Tarkin's capital ship to 5* so you can complete the zeta ship materials challenge. A starting five with Tarkin / TFP / EP / DV and Thrawn should get you where you need to be on those missions with enough gear.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, that's a decent squad, but ditch cad. Think about someone like ventress or even daka. Both are fairly easy farms and will be a better fit for clearing vs missions.

If you are hitting the wall on LS or DS missions it's already past time to be working on that team. Phoenix is a good start. But once you have palp and 6* thrawn, move on until you have a better chance to focus on a 7* thrawn.

Hey! aren't the cad bane rework rumors kind of... well, like almost confirmed?? Besides.. considering the clone wars momentum of this month and bane being a jedi hunter... and not to mention that mod assigned image ( which is the only real proof) maybe it wouldn't be that bad to go for bane
  • Options
    I'd go for a full Empire squad next, you'll need it for events too. Also, Daka is of great help in DS clears. You'll also need a First Order squad for events.

I personally started with a NS squad and had the opposite problem, LS battles kicked my butt. Basically I believe a good strategy is to always go for whatever unlocks the content you want/need next. You're at a point you need DS farming, go Empire (you want Thrawn 7* and Empire makes most sense). After you can farm both sides you'll want to focus on Events, pay attention to the calendar and then see if you can farm that content before it's out. Empire unlocks R2 for example. First Order is this month's big event. My hunch is next month will be Rogue One. CLS and JTR are huge for raids, you'll have to do multiple events for them.

Just my opinion.
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    get yourself some high level allies also, put in your ally code and get a few g12 toons to use
  • Options
    If you do get Stun Guns for Phoenix - Ezra, Ezra, Ezra!
    He’s the most useful character outside of a pure Phoenix squad and essential if you run Jedi in Arena eventually.
  • Options
    He’s the most useful character outside of a pure Phoenix squad and essential if you run Jedi in Arena eventually.

No one in the top 350 in my shard runs a Jedi team, I just double checked. Does that change at some point? Personally I don't see how it would. It's 70% Empire from what I see.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Hey! aren't the cad bane rework rumors kind of... well, like almost confirmed?? Besides.. considering the clone wars momentum of this month and bane being a jedi hunter... and not to mention that mod assigned image ( which is the only real proof) maybe it wouldn't be that bad to go for bane

I never bank my development on rumors and would never recommend that on an early game player.

Early game should be focused on toons with diverse usefulness.
  • Options
    Arcticfury wrote: »

No one in the top 350 in my shard runs a Jedi team, I just double checked. Does that change at some point? Personally I don't see how it would. It's 70% Empire from what I see.

Jedi are top in my Shard - but no Traya teams.
    They are stronger than zeta EP lead Sith teams
    BUT - you need a Zeta Bastila and GMY minimum to do this
    The best Jedi Team that can go Top 10 against the Sith is:
    zBastila, zEzra, zGMY, Hoda and Old Ben/GK

Obviously as a lower level player you won’t be running this! BUT if you do focus on just one character for your Phoenix team it should be Ezra because he’s useful later on....
  • Options
    Also to get a 7* Thrawn a well geared fast Ezra (and to a lesser extent Hera) gets you that 7*
  • Options
    Phoenix are great at defense for Territory War and slow down opponents well. Ezra and Sabine pack a punch as you gear them up. Phoenix gear is a serious grind, but will help in the long run.

I have Bane and don't really like him. Maybe the rework will improve him, but I'm not impressed by him at all. Daka and Ventress are good directions to go since they are essential for Nightsister squads later on. I also work on time that have ships before I do regular toons, typically.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't recommend farming "normal nodes" for gear at this stage. Farm hard nodes for the characters you need - and you can use the gear drops as a "tie breaker" for deciding priority.

Get into a guild doing Heroic rancor asap. Just wait for the gear to drop and be patient. Pump all your crystals into cantina and regular energy to get yourself up to 85.
  • Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't recommend farming "normal nodes" for gear at this stage. Farm hard nodes for the characters you need - and you can use the gear drops as a "tie breaker" for deciding priority.

Get into a guild doing Heroic rancor asap. Just wait for the gear to drop and be patient. Pump all your crystals into cantina and regular energy to get yourself up to 85.
    Sound advice. I'm around the same level as OP and gear farming for my high level toons has slowed a lot with most of it now coming from raids.

I still farm odds and ends, mostly for toons I'm leveling up but burning energy specifically for 1/20 or heaven forbid 1/50 salvage parts generally isn't worth it. Better to farm character shards and get salvage as a side-benefit.

At this point Cantina, Mods and Fleet are generally better investments for energy refresh. (I do the 50 crystal refreshes for regular to farm character shards but no more thsn thst)
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    You can refresh regular energy three times for 50c apiece, which nets you a total of 360 extra energy. That's half the crystal cost of cantina energy.

Part of the reason it's so important to get to 85 is you start to get an omega material and an extra reward box for your daily activity completion. You need to get to 85 asap, and energy is the best way to do it.

Depending on your crystal income (from fleets, arena, and any you buy), cantina energy is also extremely valuable to refresh, and it gets you currency for the cantina store as well, and there are great characters in that store.
  • Options
    There are never any dead ends in this game. Just new paths that you're yet to tread.
  • Options
    I am at 80 now and get Omega's . . . do we get more at 85?
  • Options
    I am at 80 now and get Omega's . . . do we get more at 85?

At 85 you get one free omega for completing your daily activities.
  • Options
    You still,get the single omega per day, but you also get a mystery box that has crystals , credits and a couple salvage gear of one type in it. That’s what folks are referring too for level 85, as you already know. The omega daily starts at level 80
  • Options
    Also, you can by the 20 Stun Gun salvages for 520 crystals pretty regularly straight from the Shipments pretty regularly. I don't know what your crystal income might look like, but once you get near the top of both Arenas, you'll be getting enough crystals to use them for a refresh or two and for gear. I buy those stun guns every time they pop up, so many toons need them.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the information and tips. I am in a guild that has Hpit and AAT on farm, I just didn't know it's the main spot to get gear from, and not farming. Guess I'll just have to be a bit more patient! :)

Anyways, I am going to switch focus and move towards my Empire squad, gearing up EP/Thrawn/Vader and getting my Tarkin/TFP to 7*, as it seems like the way to go for now, as most of you have suggested.

Regarding Daka/Asajj as a DS healer, I read their skillsets but if I'm not mistaken, it seems as if they only heal other NS, and not just the whole squad?
  • muffin
    30 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Asajji only heals ns but Daka heals the whole squad.
  • Options
    Yeah, Daka heals everybody, NS or not. Also revive them too.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF