So... does anyone at all enjoy fighting Nihilus?

Prev1
The entire Sith Raid obviously has issues, so much so that until the recent addition of mandatory participation in my guild I completely ignored it. I liked the game a lot better when I wasn’t playing through this stressful excuse for entertainment.

I have played and thoroughly enjoyed this game for years - I love the format, I love the characters, the art is cool, so on... but the Sith Raid is something that has no redeemable qualities as far as I’m concerned.

Phase 1 against Darth Nihilus is absolutely the antithesis of everything fun that has ever existed in this game, although what I’m about to say applies to a good deal of the raid.

There are no strategies or combos that feel good. There will never, ever be any combination of teams or characters that can SMACK down the Sith Triumvirate like we can tanks and rancors. The best-case scenario in this raid is dealing acceptable damage and just barely skirting by even with the greatest teams concocted by the most renowned theory crafters.

That. Is. LAME. :'(

If anyone at all actually finds themselves enjoying the raid and particularly Darth Stress-Inducer himself in phase one please explain to me why.

I genuinely hope someone can change my outlook on this and convince me it’s fun, because I just don’t see it. I’d literally rather not play than play that raid.

Replies

• Options
    It's only somewhat bearable with the few teams that can ignore most of his stuff.
  • Options
    I dislike everything about the Sith Raid.

The whole thing. From start to finish. It's truly awful.

So I rarely play it. My life is too short to do stuff I don't enjoy.
  • Options
    I do a huge chunk of damage against nih. Given, we're only doing t4/5, but my jedi and jtr teams do around 10% damage each to nih. It just took alot of practice to figure them out...and not doing auto like a ton of people try to do.
  • Options
    Fighting Nihilus is fun once you get used to the mechanics. It's a welcome challenge. Fighting hAAT on semi—auto becomes dull.

There are several teams that work well on tier 6 and lower. Teams that use very different strategies. Jedi, magmatrooper machinegun, JTR/resistance and the big JC all have different strategies. That makes it fun.
  • Options

So posting on forums is a lot better?! If you truly think it’s awful you think you wouldn’t waste your time in forums discussing it...

Raid is what it is. I wasn’t around for the start of Rancor but I’m sure that wasn’t enjoyable since the teams that auto it didn’t come out with the raid. And HAAT is still difficult for most players again that don’t have the squads that can auto it. It’s a newer raid that once you figure out which combos work will become like the others...
  • Options
    Jml727 wrote: »

So posting on forums is a lot better?! If you truly think it’s awful you think you wouldn’t waste your time in forums discussing it...

Yes, I enjoy posting on this forum, whereas I don't enjoy playing the Sith Raid. That seems a fairly coherent position. Apologies if it wasn't clear for you.

• Options
    The entire Sith Raid obviously has issues, so much so that until the recent addition of mandatory participation in my guild I completely ignored it. I liked the game a lot better when I wasn’t playing through this stressful excuse for entertainment.

I have played and thoroughly enjoyed this game for years - I love the format, I love the characters, the art is cool, so on... but the Sith Raid is something that has no redeemable qualities as far as I’m concerned.

Phase 1 against Darth Nihilus is absolutely the antithesis of everything fun that has ever existed in this game, although what I’m about to say applies to a good deal of the raid.

There are no strategies or combos that feel good. There will never, ever be any combination of teams or characters that can SMACK down the Sith Triumvirate like we can tanks and rancors. The best-case scenario in this raid is dealing acceptable damage and just barely skirting by even with the greatest teams concocted by the most renowned theory crafters.

That. Is. LAME. :'(

If anyone at all actually finds themselves enjoying the raid and particularly Darth Stress-Inducer himself in phase one please explain to me why.

I genuinely hope someone can change my outlook on this and convince me it’s fun, because I just don’t see it. I’d literally rather not play than play that raid.

From day one I wondered why people dislike P1. Obviously the most annoying and most badly designed part of the raid is P3. P1 can easily be done with an ok JTR squad and if you want more control and survivabilty use Visas. 4-5m damage are no problem. P3 is what makes me sick. Plus th NS cheese.
  • Options
    I live for fighting DN. Sometimes, I switch guilds mid-raid to find another guild about to launch an STR just so I can hit him again. There is truly nothing better than watching your toons get annihilated one by one. Way better than when the Rancor eats one.
  • Options
    Stud3099 wrote: »
    I live for fighting DN. Sometimes, I switch guilds mid-raid to find another guild about to launch an STR just so I can hit him again. There is truly nothing better than watching your toons get annihilated one by one. Way better than when the Rancor eats one.

LMAO
  • Options
    Once your guild gets the hang of it p1 isn't that bad. A run with jtr can do decent damage and if you time the unbreakable will correctly, it isn't that hard to get to enrage once you get the hang of it.

I think a lot of the frustration comes from trying to run multiple teams in it because you have anchors in your guild that don't participate.

We recently did a heroic try and got through p2 but stalled out but we'll get there. We do t5 normally between heroic tries and just tell everyone to use their jtr and gmy teams. Both work well and last run, we had it beaten before I even did my gmy run. So it's a run with one team now.

We get through t5 in about 2 days now btw. Having the raid only running for a few days a week really helps the enjoyment factor. When it was running 24/7 it was a bit overwhelming but as your roster improves, it really does get better.
  • terascque
    43 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Let me tell you just how much i hate this raid. I hate it so much, hate doesn't even begin to adequately describe it. I LOATHE and DETEST this miserable pile of absolute garbage.

I don't have the toons to be competitive. Hence the rewards I get stink and don't do anything to advance my toons, to get better, so I can be more competitive.

I also don't have the toons to be able to do anything to help my fellow guildmates beat the raid. I'm lucky if I can do 4 million, through all phases, on T5, which is nothing when others are doing 30 million.

Hence I feel completely useless. Since I can't get better, nor can I help the guild get better why play? This isn't hyperbole when I say, I'd rather blow my brains out with a shotgun then play this worthless pile of junk.

I actually had to tell my guild kick me out, or accept my non participation, because I'm not doing it anymore.

I literally can't wait for the adjustments to this raid. Tomorrow isn't soon enough.
  • Options
    Op asks, "So... does anyone at all enjoy fighting Nihilus?" (Obviously referring to the Sith Raid)

My simple answer?... No. No I don't.

And I even have a fully gear 12 zJTR lead Resistance team for phase 1/4 with multiple abilities zeta'd. So that goes to show you... that says a lot for me to say that.

I pretty much dislike everything about the Sith Raid, and that includes all phases... (minus the Traya shards. Those are pretty sweet. :sunglasses: )

That's about it though. Having firsthand witnessed this raid destroy guilds and the friendships and unity between guildmates, it's not a game mode that I feel is benefiting this game... quite the contrary. It's hurting it rather than helping it, imo at least.

That's just my 2¢ though. Anyone else?
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    terascque wrote: »

I don't have the toons to be competitive.

[...]

I also don't have the toons to be able to do anything to help my fellow guildmates beat the raid.

[...]

Hence I feel completely useless.

[...]

I literally can't wait for the adjustments to this raid. Tomorrow isn't soon enough.

Well, the logical solution for most players in your situation would be to investigate and learn which characters and teams do well in the raid and then start building those characters and teams. But hey, it's all your decision to do so or not.

• Options
    I don't have the toons to be competitive. Hence the rewards I get stink...

Oh mate...trust me - the rewards stink even with competitive toons! ;)

• Options
    @Jml727
    At the time the rancor was released the level cap was around 75 I think? Needless to say, the previous two raids aren’t even comparable given the rate of new character releases. Even character clearly designed specifically for this raid (Aurra Sing) only fall into that category of “acceptable” damage.

For us to compare the Sith Raid to the rancor, we’re going to need a bump to the level cap, at least a one new gear level, and several legendary-tier characters stronger than anything we’ve ever seen with kits designed specifically for Sith-slaying.

But... none of that will happen. The rate of content released has slowed, as gear 12 is obviously endgame content. No other gear tier has been released with such requirements that half of it is considered a tier of its own (12+ is HSTR exclusive and MUCH stronger). It even says IIX -> IIX at the bottom rather than IIX->IIIX.

What you see now is what we’ve got. Nobody will EVER solo the sith raid. We won’t ever even solo a phase. 2% is considered a near-ideal run. You might say “it’ll get better”, but my response is “keep dreaming”.
  • Options
    @Jml727
    At the time the rancor was released the level cap was around 75 I think? Needless to say, the previous two raids aren’t even comparable given the rate of new character releases. Even character clearly designed specifically for this raid (Aurra Sing) only fall into that category of “acceptable” damage.

For us to compare the Sith Raid to the rancor, we’re going to need a bump to the level cap, at least a one new gear level, and several legendary-tier characters stronger than anything we’ve ever seen with kits designed specifically for Sith-slaying.

But... none of that will happen. The rate of content released has slowed, as gear 12 is obviously endgame content. No other gear tier has been released with such requirements that half of it is considered a tier of its own (12+ is HSTR exclusive and MUCH stronger). It even says IIX -> IIX at the bottom rather than IIX->IIIX.

What you see now is what we’ve got. Nobody will EVER solo the sith raid. We won’t ever even solo a phase. 2% is considered a near-ideal run. You might say “it’ll get better”, but my response is “keep dreaming”.

Not true. We already have g12 plus and mod slicing. That will increase the damage output some, though not a lot.

The new characters we have gotten so far were all marquees and we will likely see two or 3 legendary characters in the next 6 months or so. They will undoubtedly be op compared to what we have now so they will likely do much more damage in the raid as well as other aspects.

The level cap will also eventually be raised to 90, though can't say how soon because who knows. Then g13 will happen eventually. The combination of all that will eventually allow most guilds to have hstr on an easy farm.

There is already a video of an 8 person guild that can beat hstr. With power creep, it'll be possible eventually solo the raid with one or a few teams.

Though being eventually soloable, isn't the goal of the raids. They are designed specifically to require most of a guild to participate to get rewards. You can't ever solo tw or tb, but they aren't broken because of it.
  • Options
    You’re still not really thinking about the numbers here. A single team soloing the entire raid when the BEST possible outcome we’ve discovered so far can’t break 5%?

That simply doesn’t compare to the rancor or tank raid, not even upon release. No amount of new characters could allow it to happen because that’s how the raid is structured.

But you’re right, that doesn’t mean it’s broken. The real issue here is that it’s not fun.
  • Options
    You’re still not really thinking about the numbers here. A single team soloing the entire raid when the BEST possible outcome we’ve discovered so far can’t break 5%?

That simply doesn’t compare to the rancor or tank raid, not even upon release. No amount of new characters could allow it to happen because that’s how the raid is structured.

But you’re right, that doesn’t mean it’s broken. The real issue here is that it’s not fun.

There are several teams that can do more than 2% in heroic. For example, ns can actually solo the nihilas part of p4. A good jtr run can do around 10% of p1. That was all before mod slicing and g12+ pieces so the damage is only going to increase.

For example, when jedi luke finally comes out, he will likely have synergy with jedi and rebels. With characters like cls and raid han probably being support for that team similar to how scav rey is no longer the big dmg dealer but has a place in the jtr teams. When ep 9 comes out we'll likely get a jedi rey that will boost that damage significantly again.

Try using resistance without bb8 or jtr in p1 and compare the difference. It'll be the same magnitude of change. If a resistance team can get 1% and a jtr team can get 10%, it is entirely possible that a jedi rey team could eventually solo a phase.

And being "not fun" is entirely sujective so can't argue with you on that one. I don't mind the raid once you have the toons to do well in it. Though the rewards could be better. Mostly remove the challenge gear. But they are working on that.
  • Options
    Haat still requires multiple teams like sith raid would. My comparison is valid considering those raids when first brought out were difficult and the toons at that point couldn’t do much of it by the self...just like sith raid. Yea you can’t see it now but who knows if they bring out a Jedi Luke or raven that has the ability with the right squad to take them all out.
  • Options
    I didn’t until I started using Visas. I hated p1 to the point I wanted to skip it. Then came Visas in place of Scav Rey and everything changed. Now I love p1. I love seeing Visas assist a ton. I love how easy it is now. Visas changes everything for resistance.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Phase 1 lasts all of about 20 minutes in my guild. Sure it took a try or two to really nail it down. But no big deal. Do I enjoy it as your title asks, about as much I enjoy tank raid. It's just the same thing over and over. At this point I dont find any of the raids overly enjoyable. I only spend about 15 - 20 minutes playing each raid. I'll never solo HAAT even though I have the team make ups to do it, playing for 1 hour straight just isn't that enjoyable for me.

I liked how complicated the sith raid is, it's not just another keep the enemy from taking a turn to win raid. You have to think, have to have the right squads. The cut scenes are excellent.

So yes, I did enjoy it. Now its repetitive, not not enjoyable, just meh.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    my guild's just now doing our first t5. we're casual enough to not really require anyone to hit it, even though we're doing the other raids on heroic and mostly our best is TB and TW

Personally, I like p1 and p2. While I spent sometime learning how to fight DN and I can't throw any old team at him, it's 'easy' to make it to enrage, which is all I really want out of a raid team. Getting to a enrage meant I spent the max amount of time dealing damage (I'm aware this might change when I get to Heroic, but I've accepted that). The most irritating thing is when I forget to check DN's summon, and waste an Unbreakable Will. Outside of that, it's mostly cruising. I'll need better teams for Heroic, but I'll develop better teams along the way

I don't get great joy from fighting the raid, but it's a decent little few fights
  • Options
    I do kinda enjoy trying to beat my damage with a team. We started another t5 today and I used my jtr team for 6 mil damage. It took a couple of tries but not too much time. That's the only p1 team I'll need since we're half way through with only 12 people hitting it.

At this point, I actually do enjoy it. When you first start and you're stuck on p1 for 3 days and have to run 5 teams a day against it for a total of 5 mil damage, it sucks. But no more so than haat did when you had to do the same.
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I enjoy the Sith Raid. I do find it stressful on those occasions when Nihilus doesn’t use Annihilate when it’s available, making me restart whilst 5 of the guild have already cleared 40+% in 10 minutes.

But then we’re doing heroic. Guilds who are running T5, T6 have my sympathy. That must feel like a daily chore.

Some of the comments above are clearly made by those not in a position to do well. 10%+ is possible in phases 1, 3, 4 of Heroic raid, and 2 teams can combine to get it in phase 2.
  • Options
    I don't have the toons to be competitive. Hence the rewards I get stink...

Oh mate...trust me - the rewards stink even with competitive toons! ;)

Lol. Preach @CoastalJames ! haha ;)

Seriously though... it's true.
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • terascque
    43 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

[...]

I also don't have the toons to be able to do anything to help my fellow guildmates beat the raid.

[...]

[...]

Well, the logical solution for most players in your situation would be to investigate and learn which characters and teams do well in the raid and then start building those characters and teams. But hey, it's all your decision to do so or not.

Come on dude, really? Do you think I dont know what is needed? I don't have JTR. Do you just miraculously think I can suddenly acquire her?

I don't have a CLS. Again, do you think I can just magically acquire him?

If I controlled the timing of those events I would have them.

How about Chex Mix. When you have only been playing for 8 months, were unable to get chase, as the free character, nor are you able to buy a character pack with them in it, how long do you think it takes to farm them?

Oh I also just happen to have Raid Han all leveled and geared also.

Sure I know all about the NS to. It does take a while you know to farm and gear 5 toons to be worthwhile.

My GP is just under 1.5 million in 8 months of playing. I know that's not an indication of skill. More it shows even with that, I can't do anything in STR. I rank sub 200 in arena and sub 20 in fleets. I got there by farming the route I did for the rewards that are actually useful.

I am well aware of what toons are required. Thanks for just assuming I don't have a clue, and even if I had them, thus raid would still qualify as the most bogus piece of gaming I have ever played in 30 years of gaming.

Edit typos
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

[...]

[...]

[...]

Come on dude, really? Do you think I dont know what is needed? I don't have JTR. Do you just miraculously think I can suddenly acquire her?

How about Chex Mix. When you have only been playing for 8 months, were unable to get chase, as the free character, nor are you able to buy a character pack with them in it, how long do you think it takes to farm them?

Sure I know all about the NS to. It does take a while you know to farm and gear 5 toons to be worthwhile.

My GP is just under 1.5 million in 8 months of playing. I know that's not an indication of skill. More it shows even with that, I can't do anything in STR. I rank sub 200 in arena and sub 20 in fleets. I got there by farming the route I did for the rewards that are actually useful.

I am well aware of what toons are required. Thanks for just assuming I don't have a clue, and even if I had them, thus raid would still qualify as the most bogus piece of gaming I have ever played in 30 years of gaming.

Edit typos

You really have a few options then.

First, you could quit and find a better game. If it is so horrible, then you may want to consider that.

Second, you could find a guild that doesn't care about the str until you get your teams ready. Though you will likely miss out on some tb stars and higher tw rewards since you'll likely be in a lower gp guild. If this is ok with you and you really hate the raid that much, this could be a viable option.

Third, you could stick it out. If you have the req for jtr, you can build the team other than jtr and then getting one character to g12 isn't that bad. Her event will likely be back soon. But to do this, you'll likely have to keep up the slog since most of those doing higher damage don't want to be the only people doing it. If you do 4 mil, it may not seem like much but if you and the probably 20 or 30 others in your guild that do damage in that range post zeros, the raid is just that much more of a chore and you will likely eventually be booted. Guilds have little choice when half the guild doesn't play. They either boot at the bottom or the top players will jump ship for a guild that actually requires participation. If it helps, look at the extra stars in tw as part of the rewards for helping your guild do the raid. Guilds that don't do the raids because no one is strong enough probably get 20 stars and those that have several higher gp players get in the high 30s. The rewards at 35 stars are much better than 20 stars. And if being in a guild that gets those extra stars requires participation in the raid, that's the price you pay.

But ultimately do what is best for you.
    Post edited by DarkHelmet1138 on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

[...]

[...]

[...]

Edit typos

Take a chill pill, dude.

If you only played for 8 months then it's only natural, that your roster is still thin. When you don't have the toons, that do well in STR yet, then it's not caused by bad game design, but rather by your thin roster. Don't expect to be able to shine in all game modes yet. Patience, young padawan. You will get there eventually if you keep developing your roster.

You may not have been able to acquire JTR yet, but there ARE other characters and teams that shine in phase 1. Jedi do well (f.ex. GMY lead, Ezra, and QGJ as the core and preferably HY + zarris as the last 2). Magmatrooper does well (Thrawn lead, DT and magmatrooper as the core). The big JC does well (JE, healer — preferably JC — and 3 assist callers / TM granters). Even at your stage you have several good options — just not the best one yet.

Again: The problem is not the design of the raid. It's rather thst your expectations seem to be unrealisticaly high. Join us out here in the real world. You're not supposed to be able to shine in hSTR after 8 months of free play.
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Again: The problem is not the design of the raid. It's rather thst your expectations seem to be unrealisticaly high. Join us out here in the real world. You're not supposed to be able to shine in hSTR after 8 months of free play.

This