Arena will require multiple strong teams soon?

Prev1
Smapty
1260 posts Member
edited September 2018
It feels to me like arena is swaying towards needing to have multiple solid teams to be able to hold rank and also move up ranks efficiently for payout...

Soon Jango will be among us and appears to be solid answer to Traya teams.... (or so we hope)

I’ve been running Solo scoundrels primarily in arena lately (because I’m a rebel 🤟) and they can just auto Bastilla for easy rank climbing....

But if my solo scoundrels face a wall of Traya to move up then they are screwed :(

So then I would have to use some other squad to beat Traya...

Usually I don’t want to be bothered... gotta move a bunch on mods and put in some garbage situational team that is easy to beat....

I usually just settle for whatever rank I wind up at...

But soon...

I feel like having multiple modded and maxxed out teams will be crucial for holding rank and being able to climb up efficiently...

The times they are a changing and it’s going to be more and more important that you can put up a team that can beat whatever opponent you might face...

...an answer for everything is what it might (and should) come down to in the not too distant arena

Replies

• Options
    It's already like that for those of us that have no interest in running the Triumvirate. Rey for Jedis and Rex for Triumvirate. Keeps me from having to use gear and zetas on Sion and Traya.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    There will always be a META.

It is nice to have options in arena, but there are always a strong team that will win most of the time.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

It is nice to have options in arena, but there are always a strong team that will win most of the time.

I feel like this mentality is going to soon pass...

If your “strong team” is easily beaten by another... yet that team can’t hold its own vs. another team that is also “strong”...
    But then that “strong” team is easily beaten by several others....
    But those teams lose badly to the other previous mentioned teams...

Then which team do you use?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    the META is always the team that holds better on defense. that is always the team to beat, as that is the one people will leave in for more time. beating that team with an alternative team is always nice and sometimes easier, but that doesn't change the fact that you wont leave a team on defense all night if you dont think it is holding better than your other options.
  • Options
    Diversity = good. I'm glad. I already rotate JRey and EP teams depending on my moods. Dont even swap mods anymore. I can swing a 3rd team pretty soon.
  • Options
    the META is always the team that holds better on defense. that is always the team to beat, as that is the one people will leave in for more time. beating that team with an alternative team is always nice and sometimes easier, but that doesn't change the fact that you wont leave a team on defense all night if you dont think it is holding better than your other options.

Exactly what Kyno said. The meta is whatever team holds best on defense. There are all sorts of teams that beat other teams on offense, but unless you have two completely equal teams that hold exactly as well on defense as each other, there will always be a “best” team or meta team. Right now that is Traya lead. It holds better on defense then any other team right now. Add to the fact that it can beat any other team on offense, including other Traya teams, and it’s clearly the best team currently.

I don’t think Jango will change the meta. Sure Jango teams might be able to beat Traya on offense, but so do a lot of other teams. Seems like every day the game changers are posting some video of a team that beats Traya, but the question is how will it do on defense? I don’t see Jango teams holding well on defense. I certainly could be wrong, but I’m just not seeing it.

Currently there is nothing on the horizon that is going to change the Traya meta. That is certainly not to say you can’t get first with other teams, but no matter what team you use, you’re likely going to fall farther on defense with a non-Traya team.
  • Options

That’s because the game is poorly balanced (probably by design, but that’s irrelevant). In a balanced game it would be like the OP suggests the team that held best on defense would simply be the team with the counter owned by the smallest % of people. It would be great if there was a team out there that equivalent Traya teams simply couldn’t beat because they simply were a poor matchup, but that weren’t OP because they had their own weaknesses that other teams could exploit.

IMO they would also make more money that way, because you would need multiple arena teams. You couldn’t simply run Sith, because you’d be in trouble if you came up against their counter. Unfortunately it simply doesn’t work that way
  • Options

That’s because the game is poorly balanced (probably by design, but that’s irrelevant). In a balanced game it would be like the OP suggests the team that held best on defense would simply be the team with the counter owned by the smallest % of people. It would be great if there was a team out there that equivalent Traya teams simply couldn’t beat because they simply were a poor matchup, but that weren’t OP because they had their own weaknesses that other teams could exploit.

IMO they would also make more money that way, because you would need multiple arena teams. You couldn’t simply run Sith, because you’d be in trouble if you came up against their counter. Unfortunately it simply doesn’t work that way

I hear what you’re saying, but I also think this is probably the most diverse arena has ever been. It’s darn near impossible to make teams exactly equal. In nearly all games there is a “best” squad, even if it’s only slightly better than the second team. CG also has to give a reason to do HSR. If Traya was mediocre or equal to other characters that were easier to obtain, people wouldn’t be creating a bunch of different teams for the raid. Most people would choose to get the character that was easier to obtain.
  • Options
    Ikky2win wrote: »

I hear what you’re saying, but I also think this is probably the most diverse arena has ever been. It’s darn near impossible to make teams exactly equal. In nearly all games there is a “best” squad, even if it’s only slightly better than the second team. CG also has to give a reason to do HSR. If Traya was mediocre or equal to other characters that were easier to obtain, people wouldn’t be creating a bunch of different teams for the raid. Most people would choose to get the character that was easier to obtain.

I disagree with this being diverse. This is one of the stalest metas we’ve had for a while. I see nothing but Traya or Bastilla up top. And I’m pretty sure most Bastilla teams are only because they don’t have Traya or the other Sith ready. Or because Traya squads are one of the most boring squads we’ve ever seen and they hate playing with them.
  • Options

I disagree with this being diverse. This is one of the stalest metas we’ve had for a while. I see nothing but Traya or Bastilla up top. And I’m pretty sure most Bastilla teams are only because they don’t have Traya or the other Sith ready. Or because Traya squads are one of the most boring squads we’ve ever seen and they hate playing with them.

"because Traya squads are one of the most boring squads we’ve ever seen and they hate playing with them"

This guy gets it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Triple cleanse or CLS were worse IMO. (Or the Dooku plague back in the day)

I agree we lost diversity we had.

More options will always be great and they have said they do release toons with game modes in mind, i.e. - toons for raids, toons designed for arena, and toons designed for pve.

With over 160 toons, I dont think we can expect them to be able to balance them all for arena, but it would be nice to actually have multiple teams that can hold on defense to allow us to run a team "we like".
  • Options

More options will always be great and they have said they do release toons with game modes in mind, i.e. - toons for raids, toons designed for arena, and toons designed for pve.

With over 160 toons, I dont think we can expect them to be able to balance them all for arena, but it would be nice to actually have multiple teams that can hold on defense to allow us to run a team "we like".

I do think they’ve done an outstanding job of developing new characters recently. It’s just a shame that the Sith trio is so OP they overshadow everything. The Bounty Hunters are amazing. The Solo characters are amazing. It’s a shame you put yourself at a huge disadvantage if you use them in arena though. They are a blast in TW, but that’s what, 4 battles a month with them or something?

What we really need is a pure anti Sith character/team. Something that gives us a reason we shouldn’t leave Sith on defense. An example I’ve used previously is a character with an AOE that deals bonus damage equal to 15% health of the highest Health opponent. Against a normal team this wouldnt be anything overpowering. Basically 1 expose. But use it against Nihilus after he’s stacked 500% Health and you could wipe out the rest of team. Let it be the balance against the Sith. The Rex that counters the Maul.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I do think they’ve done an outstanding job of developing new characters recently. It’s just a shame that the Sith trio is so OP they overshadow everything. The Bounty Hunters are amazing. The Solo characters are amazing. It’s a shame you put yourself at a huge disadvantage if you use them in arena though. They are a blast in TW, but that’s what, 4 battles a month with them or something?

What we really need is a pure anti Sith character/team. Something that gives us a reason we shouldn’t leave Sith on defense. An example I’ve used previously is a character with an AOE that deals bonus damage equal to 15% health of the highest Health opponent. Against a normal team this wouldnt be anything overpowering. Basically 1 expose. But use it against Nihilus after he’s stacked 500% Health and you could wipe out the rest of team. Let it be the balance against the Sith. The Rex that counters the Maul.

They haven't for arena purposes, but there is more to the game than arena. I cant imagine it would be easy to design a toon that would be great in the Sith raid (or any raid) and great in arena without being OP, or having a lot of dual descriptions.

The examples we have are treya and thrawn, who cnas do it, but are (were) considered OP at their original time. I dont know if treya is that great in the raid, still 6* but I hear good things.
  • ctyc123
    328 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I liked my phasma, ig86, geno soldier assist team...
  • Options
    Traya sith still destroys BH on offence just like it does to bastilla Jedi
  • Options
    I don’t think they can switch the meta away from Traya quite yet. If they lower the incentive of getting Traya from HSR, people will stop spending money on getting the multitude of HSR teams needed for the raid. It’s really as simple as that. Only a relatively small population have her at 7 stars. Heck the vast majority of people don’t have her unlocked. I’m in a November 2017 shard and we have 6 total Trayas, 5 of which are from the guild I’m in. They need to keep Traya relevant for awhile longer so I don’t expect a meta shift for awhile.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I don’t think they can switch the meta away from Traya quite yet. If they lower the incentive of getting Traya from HSR, people will stop spending money on getting the multitude of HSR teams needed for the raid. It’s really as simple as that. Only a relatively small population have her at 7 stars. Heck the vast majority of people don’t have her unlocked. I’m in a November 2017 shard and we have 6 total Trayas, 5 of which are from the guild I’m in. They need to keep Traya relevant for awhile longer so I don’t expect a meta shift for awhile.

That may be the point, they dont want to hit a saturation point across the board. Not to mention it sounds like they moved up the time table a little to get us out of the marquee events.

Not saying she will not still be able to win, just that she may be less of a forced option. We may end up with 2 teams that hold just as well in defense and things will be great......
  • Options

That may be the point, they dont want to hit a saturation point across the board. Not to mention it sounds like they moved up the time table a little to get us out of the marquee events.

Not saying she will not still be able to win, just that she may be less of a forced option. We may end up with 2 teams that hold just as well in defense and things will be great......

I don’t think Jango will shift the meta. It will just be another team that can beat stuff on offense but doesn’t hold as well as Traya on defense. That means the next likely meta shift is going to probably involve one of these non-marquee characters they’ve been talking about. If it’s a legendary, and if it’s anything like the past, a lot of people won’t get the character until the second pass. It’s possible the new legendary will be obtainable and viable at 5 stars though, so....who knows. All speculation at this point.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I don’t think Jango will shift the meta. It will just be another team that can beat stuff on offense but doesn’t hold as well as Traya on defense. That means the next likely meta shift is going to probably involve one of these non-marquee characters they’ve been talking about. If it’s a legendary, and if it’s anything like the past, a lot of people won’t get the character until the second pass. It’s possible the new legendary will be obtainable and viable at 5 stars though, so....who knows. All speculation at this point.

Any team that can hold on defense shifts the meta. Most effective, becoming more equally distributed between more teams, is a shift. But yes that's really just semantics, I agree I dont think they will take over, I'm just hoping for somewhat equal footing.

All we have is speculation, and they are feeding that fire.

Any new legendary will be viable at 5*, they always have been, just have to keep an eye on those 6 dot mods.
  • Options
    Personally think they should have made Grandmaster Yoda have a way better leadership Zeta than we got. I would have liked:

(Zeta) "Grandmaster of the Jedi Council: [same tenacity boost from old leadership] + all Jedi allies with leadership abilities have those abilities active throughout the duration of the battle."

zGMY + zQGJ + zBastila + zBarriss/Aayla + 5th Jedi. Healing, tenacity, foresight, offense, speed. (basically Palpatine's OP leadership...)
  • Options
    In my opinion the mistake was to shift the meta towards sith way too early with Palp and Vader reworks. They were op for months with sion and nihilus before traya even appeared. Then Traya finally got there and they need to keep her at the top long enough, which means again months of op sith meta.
    They basically chained two sith meta instead of giving us some diversity in between or simply wait for Traya before reworking palp and vader.

It feels to me like siths have been op in arena forever now, and it’s not even the end yet.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JohnAran wrote: »
    In my opinion the mistake was to shift the meta towards sith way too early with Palp and Vader reworks. They were op for months with sion and nihilus before traya even appeared. Then Traya finally got there and they need to keep her at the top long enough, which means again months of op sith meta.
    They basically chained two sith meta instead of giving us some diversity in between or simply wait for Traya before reworking palp and vader.

It feels to me like siths have been op in arena forever now, and it’s not even the end yet.

I would prefer a meta that leads to another meta, then a flat shift. Allowing the transition of toons from one meta to another allows us to get more out if our investment into characters
  • Options
    JohnAran wrote: »

I have to disagree. The ds were over due for a meta since it had been ls meta for a long while before the palp rework. If you put the effort in to build that team, it should last for awhile.

Just because it isn't a meta you like doesn't make that less true. Eventually, it'll shift back to ls and will likely be there for six months or so. That's about how long the ds has been meta now.

My guess is bhs will be needed for rebek chewie, then rebel chewie will be needed for jedi luke. Then meta shift. Likely jedi or rebels but hard to tell.

Then in feb it'll likely shift back with malak or revan.

The point is you can't shift the meta mire than every 6 mo or so. Otherwise, no one is going to spend time or more importantly money on a team that will be obsolete in 2 months.
  • Options
    ctyc123 wrote: »

I miss the days when characters had simple kits too
  • Options
    ^
    No PhD in "Prepared" required unlike the Solo teams.
  • Options
    The meta in this game was never really about the single best team. It’s just which one is most annoying or nagging to deal with, basically the one that everyone avoids when looking for a team to attack. That team is Traya and the triumvirate right now. Before that it was palpatine, before that JTR, before that CLS and the titans. Before that was a brief period of time where many teams were able to flourish and there was no real meta. We might be entering a time like that soon, with sith, Jedi, bounty hunters, scoundrels, and JTR resistance, although I still think the triumvirate be the best, not necessarily by being unbeatable, but by being weaker to less teams and stronger against more teams than everyone else. We will just have to wait and see and the future holds in store.
  • Options
    In theory that would happen if there comes a team which crushes all other metas on offense when played manually, but can't hold on defense because of ai.
  • Options
    Smapty wrote: »

I feel like this mentality is going to soon pass...

If your “strong team” is easily beaten by another... yet that team can’t hold its own vs. another team that is also “strong”...
    But then that “strong” team is easily beaten by several others....
    But those teams lose badly to the other previous mentioned teams...

Then which team do you use?

That mentality will never pass. @Kyno is right. There always will be a Most Effective Tactical Advantage team. It exists in this game and every other game since forever. Triumvirate seems to be the most consistent and reliable team on offense and defense, with the capability of beating most other top tier teams, hence making them the META.

A META team will always exist. There may be more competition down the road, but there will always be a dominant team.
  • Options

Ditto. I’m leveling and gearing my solo characters right now and I was reading through their kits and there are so many: when you do this become prepared but then become unprepared and make this other character prepared.... I’m like, ya these characters are definitely going on defense in TW. :D
  • Options

Ditto. I’m leveling and gearing my solo characters right now and I was reading through their kits and there are so many: when you do this become prepared but then become unprepared and make this other character prepared.... I’m like, ya these characters are definitely going on defense in TW. :D

They easily have the most complicated kits with so many conditionals. Its why the AI does not handle them well.