Power creep side effects

The power creep is finally showing it's true colors. Overpowered characters have turned regular characters into complete trash. I always get this when TW is around, I put my leftover characters up against certain squads and watch them get destroyed in 5v3s and 5v2s making me wonder when is the power creep going to stop.

I look at characters like Lando, Wedge, Biggs and Leia, how their health bars appear so pathetically weak compared to some of the newer characters! G12 Biggs with all 3 of his g12 pieces looks so tiny next to g11 characters... Wedge who used to hit for 30-35k in the past, is barely chipping people's protections... Lando who's aoe was once a feared and devastating tool, almost seems like he is more of a burden, his AOE is literally not worth using in at a time where you usually get punished for hitting certain characters, and the damage isn't nearly enough to compensate!

Pathetically small damage and survivability isn't the only problem, these characters are built with bad speeds so they usually get killed before they can even make a move. You see characters REQUIRING, and "requiring" is a key word, some of the most broken and unbalanced leadership abilities to be able to stand a chance and boost their survivability against some of the new characters with the insane stats.

Look at Yoda, he needs so much foresight to be able to stand a chance, Bastila, she's useless if it wasn't for her absurd amount of protection that her leadership gives her. Jedi in general need every offensive buff in the game to be able to some decent damage.

This is me begging the devs to cut back on the stats, we need characters with kits that don't render our previous characters useless. I never thought I would have said that but Rebels went from God's to worms so quickly that even the harshest rebel critics would agree that it's not healthy for the game.

I'm not saying my wiggs should beat Traya but I'm saying that at similar gear levels all characters should have some kind of stat balance and the ability to do similar damage and have similar survivability before applying leaderships. Keep it down to earth boys

Replies

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    In a game with dozens of usable characters, some are just going to be better than others. It's unavoidable. Likewise, so is power creep. If the new guys don't have shiny awesome powers and better stats, why bother getting them? The options are power creep and stagnation, and at least the creep keeps things fresh.

I get where you're coming from, but it's just the nature of the beast. Honestly, if my roster were significantly more developed, I think I'd probably make a game out of trying to assemble a useful squad with trashbag characters like Lobot or Coruscant Underworld Police.

Plus, you know, reworks are a thing.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    In a game with dozens of usable characters, some are just going to be better than others. It's unavoidable. Likewise, so is power creep. If the new guys don't have shiny awesome powers and better stats, why bother getting them? The options are power creep and stagnation, and at least the creep keeps things fresh.

I get where you're coming from, but it's just the nature of the beast. Honestly, if my roster were significantly more developed, I think I'd probably make a game out of trying to assemble a useful squad with trashbag characters like Lobot or Coruscant Underworld Police.

Plus, you know, reworks are a thing.

I think it's human nature to try and get the new character regardless of their power, just to complete their inventory. The way you keep things interesting and encourage spending is by making faction or even character exclusive events where these characters are necessary to participate. That's how you make sure people will get them.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    The power creep strategy seems to work well for CG in GoH.
  • Options
    Power creep lets them sell new characters, earn money and keep the servers running. It's been this way for years, and I seriously doubt it's only applicable in this collection game.

And many other gatcha type games don't even let you farm every single character whereas this game eventually makes every character farmable. I really don't see what's the point of this complaint.
  • Options
    Even without the earning aspect, since i'm completely f2p, i like my new characters to be better than the excisting ones. If that wasn't the case this game would be super boring.
    Powercreep is essential to games like this one. One could argue that there's too much powercreep due to ea/cg wanting to make money though. I feel like the powercreep that is going on in this game is fine, but i can understand that others feel like there is too much powercreep. In the end it's all just a personal preference and ea/cg can't cater to every individual player and also has to keep an eye on making money. I can imagine that managing the powercreep is quite difficult for the devs.