Chewbacca is gone... now the question is....

Prev1
AleSahnDroh_1979
950 posts Member
edited October 2018
Will I be ready next time?
I unlocked him at 5* because my Bossk was only 3*, Dengar 5*...
The real problem is the following: if my Bossk shards drop rate remains the same (1-2/8 attempts every day), I've calculated that I need 8-9 months to 7 star Bossk.......:-(
(Without node refresh, but why should I refresh with a sooooo low benefit?)

P.S.: now the RNG experts will come out in horde claiming at the normalization of numbers in the long run.... compelling about too small sample size..... ok, ok, but this steady rhythm of 1-2 shards per 8 attempts is always the same during the last 15 days in a row......)

Replies

• benjammin
    50 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I usually assume 30% drop rate for character shards. Always seems to average out to that in the end. So I think you can safely assume if you refresh once a day (16 attempts total) you’ll get an average of 5 shards per day. 330-50 = 280 shards to go, or roughly 2 months if you refresh once a day.

What I think I would recommend if you’re serious about 7’ing him before the next event is to commit to 1 refresh a day consistently. By the time the event rolls around again I think you will be 7* with him, or at least close enough to use some extra refreshes to finish him off.
  • Options
    If it helps, it took me about a week and a half refreshing bossks node twice, so 24 attempts a day. To get him from 6* to 7*.
    So 240 attempts?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Or just skip Bossk altogether, it's doable without him.
  • benjammin
    50 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Personally I’m planning to go for 7* without Bossk since he only has 1 node to farm. I’m very interested in seeing where they put Embo. If he’s within reach of 7*ing before the next run I might make a push for him. (In reach for me probably means fleet and normal hard node, not just 1, or a cantina node)
  • Options
    benjammin wrote: »
    Personally I’m planning to go for 7* without Bossk since he only has 1 node to farm. I’m very interested in seeing where they put Embo. If he’s within reach of 7*ing before the next run I might make a push for him. (In reach for me probably means fleet and normal hard node, not just 1, or a cantina node)

Same, I’m hoping that Embo will be easily farmable since I’m skipping Bossk for now.
  • Options
    Embo is a stud but he's kind of squishy and if you use his one unique then his protection disappears quick so you can be vulnerable if you haven't activated payouts yet. That's kind of where Bossk comes in as the only taunting BH. With Bossk lead, his regen and taunt, BH becomes a pretty bad **** crew.
  • Options
    Really I just want Embo for his leadership. (countering / healing / offense) I'm hoping that if you can block the stealth with Dengar then the counter-healing will help everyone survive all the attacks.
  • Options
    Really I just want Embo for his leadership. (countering / healing / offense) I'm hoping that if you can block the stealth with Dengar then the counter-healing will help everyone survive all the attacks.

That’s what I’m thinking too. His leadership seems like it would be pretty good in this event.
  • Options
    I started farming Bossk since he was added to the hard node, without refreshes. He's 50/85 now. So yeah, I think the sample size is already big enough to put this 33% in doubt. Meanwhile, I'm building the rest of the bounty hunters. If I manage to finish farming boosk by the next chewie event, good. If I don't (most probably with this ridiculous drop rate), at least I'll have 5 BH ready.
  • Options
    Your saying without refreshes so this might not be for you, but the other option is to save a few crystals and get the occasional shipment purchase of bossk shards.

For what its worth, the refresh for 25 shards is pretty cheap in the scheme of things. And if you are getting all your bonus energy in a day plus natural generation you can get approx 375 energy a day which means you can get all 16 attempts for no extra energy bought
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »

Don't skip Bossk, he's a great toon.
  • Options
    kevsmart wrote: »

Don't skip Bossk, he's a great toon.

Bossk turns the RNG fest from 5-6 hours worth to maybe 30 minutes worth. Go for Bossk if you can.
  • Options
    He's one of the most useful characters in the game (great ship, great leader, great for raids, great for events, just generally useful everywhere) so don't skip him just because it's a long farm. You get plenty of energy a day and can spare some for him.

Point of fact, you should be farming AT LEAST one hard node only character at a time. Two (one light, one dark) is ideal.
    I started farming Bossk since he was added to the hard node, without refreshes. He's 50/85 now. So yeah, I think the sample size is already big enough to put this 33% in doubt. Meanwhile, I'm building the rest of the bounty hunters. If I manage to finish farming boosk by the next chewie event, good. If I don't (most probably with this ridiculous drop rate), at least I'll have 5 BH ready.
    I started farming Bossk when he was added to the hard node without refreshes and have him at 40/100. So yeah, I think the smple sie is already big enough to confirm the 30%.

It's been tested dozens of times by different people. Every time the results are the same--just about a one-third drop rate. Go ahead and doubt it if you want, disbelieving actual data because it doesn't jive with what you want it to be seems to be trendy these days.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    He's one of the most useful characters in the game (great ship, great leader, great for raids, great for events, just generally useful everywhere) so don't skip him just because it's a long farm. You get plenty of energy a day and can spare some for him.

Point of fact, you should be farming AT LEAST one hard node only character at a time. Two (one light, one dark) is ideal.

Sure, he is good, but my point was that racing against time to get him for the next Chewie event isn't necessary. And there's a lot of other good hard node farms.
  • Options
    This whole notion of "It takes too long" just doesn't make sense to me. It isn't going to get any shorter without spending, they won't be added to any stores. If it's a useful character, one should be farming it. "I don't farm Baze because it takes too long. I don't farm Krennic... I don't farm Bossk."

"Why should I refresh?" because that literally cuts your time in half. And right now, refreshes are half of what they normally are (25 vs 50), and attempts have been lifted back to 8.

• Options
    I usually assume 30% drop rate for character shards. Always seems to average out to that in the end. So I think you can safely assume if you refresh once a day (16 attempts total) you’ll get an average of 5 shards per day. 330-50 = 280 shards to go, or roughly 2 months if you refresh once a day.

What I think I would recommend if you’re serious about 7’ing him before the next event is to commit to 1 refresh a day consistently. By the time the event rolls around again I think you will be 7* with him, or at least close enough to use some extra refreshes to finish him off.

I use 30% in my assumptions too. However I will point out that when I compare the actual results I generally see very close to a 33% rate, but if you are on the unlucky side you could see closer to 30% -- so this is the safe assumption number.
  • Options
    I've been farming Bossk using 1 refresh a day so 16 total battles. I agree 1/3 drop rate sounds about right as I average 5 shards a day. Always between 4-6. Sometimes i only get 1 shard from first 8 battles but on the refresh I'll get 3-5 so the refresh is definitely worth it
  • Options
    I understand the frustration, but I think the frustration stirred up a bit of confirmation bias here.

First, Bossk is a good toon. It's not a bad idea to farm him, Chewbacca aside.

Second, this is the nature of hard node farms. You either gotta live with it or go crush candy.
  • Loy
    27 posts Member
    Options
    Also dont forget his uber ship. I managed to get chewie to 7 atars without bossk (oh pain!), but still going to farm him for the fleet.
  • Options
    Loy wrote: »
    Also dont forget his uber ship. I managed to get chewie to 7 atars without bossk (oh pain!), but still going to farm him for the fleet.

Hi @Loy! :D
  • Options
    if my Bossk shards drop rate remains the same (1-2/8 attempts every day)

It has been proven multiple times already that the shard drop rate is 33% across the board. If you have 8 attempts per day you’ll get on average 2.66 shards per day. To get 300 shards you’ll need something between 3 and 4 months.
  • Options
    Antares wrote: »

It has been proven multiple times already that the shard drop rate is 33% across the board. If you have 8 attempts per day you’ll get on average 2.66 shards per day. To get 300 shards you’ll need something between 3 and 4 months.

Wait really? Would you mind sharing your evidence?
  • Options
    Dengar and Boba are the two most important characters for 6* and 7* Chewie If you read the guides and watch the videos.
    Priorities are:
    1) G12 Boba with full Omegas and CD/CC mods
    2) 7* Dengar
    3) Bossk if you can get him but not as critical as the first 2.
  • EventineElessedil
    6171 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Wait really? Would you mind sharing your evidence?

@OpticGK_Alex Lots of people have confirmed this. You may get a small amount of statistical variation, but if your sample size is large enough then you will probably find something around 33%. As one example, here is a chart I made when I was collecting the last ~100 shards for Vet Captain Han, which dropped at ~39%:
    uLAiQRl.png
    Post edited by EventineElessedil on
  • Options

Or use 75 crystals to refesh twice a day and cut that number to a little over a month. Assuming a decent crystal income, most players can easily spend the 150 crystals a day for the energy refreshes and the 75 crystals to refresh the node.

It just really depends on how badly the OP wants bossk. The next chewie event is probably coming 3-4 months from now. They can either slow farm and maybe be ready, or focus and be ready with time to spare.

I prefer the latter but to each their own.
  • Options
    Use 2 refreshes a day and focus all your energy on BOSSK. Eventually they will remove 8 attempts and reduced refresh cost and you will be mad you didn't. He is a great toon, leader and has a ship. Get him 7 star and zeta his leader.
  • Options
    I know the official drop rate is 30%, but I've come to expect 25%. Over the past week trying to unlock a 5 star Chewie, I needed 19 shards to get Bossk to 5 stars. As of today, I still need 15. Over 5 days with 2 refreshes, I got 2 shards. Then I got 2 shards today after the Chewie event is over. Seems rather steep to me.

As far as refreshes go, if you want a character, pay for the refreshes. If you refresh twice and get shards at a 25% drop rate, then you'll get 4 shards for 75 crystals. If you compare that to shipments, it's a steal.

Also, if you need OT Chewie for a Jedi Luke heroe's journey (speculated at the end of December), then the Chewie event will be back in roughly 3 months, giving you plenty of time to star and gear Bossk and your other Bounty Hunters.
  • Options
    I dunno, Ahnald did it without Bossk using the most common bounty hunters. It took a little time and rng, but he got there. I intend to do the same and save all my shard refreshes for other toons. You think you need Chewie...? But do you have Wickett too............? I see Endor Leia, General Solo and C3PO needing him as well as part of the JLS journey to someday come. Why do you think Wickett has been hanging around in the shadows for the last year........?

https://youtu.be/wxejQ2PEp0Q
  • Edward
    651 posts Member
    Options
    The drop rate was bad for me during the legendary event too, I only needed less than 70 shards and I have been doing 32 sims daily, if I can get their so called average drop rate 33%, I would have 7*ed Bossk easily. Unfortunately, I had to buy shards with crystals to do that.
  • Options
    "Why should I refresh?" because that literally cuts your time in half. And right now, refreshes are half of what they normally are (25 vs 50), and attempts have been lifted back to 8.

Eh, I kind of get the "why refresh" question. I'll buy extra energy occasionally, if it looks like I'm not going to hit 600/600 with the free (and bonus) energy--and the Cantina energy on Sunday/Monday for the guild event. But I don't refresh attempts on a node.

If it didn't cost crystals I'd for sure do it, but man.... I just need those crystals for gear more. When working on a team, you eventually hit a wall where (for five characters) you need 8 pieces of raid gear and the 1400 crystal pieces from shipments are the only way to break through.

I won't say "Don't refresh!" but I WILL say if your crystals are limited, there are better places to allocate them. In my opinion, anyway.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.