Training Grounds - What do you think?

Post became longer than originally intended. lol TL;DR at the bottom.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and recently have engaged in some conversation with shard mates and whatnot about the game having a training grounds. The premise being it doesn't cost you anything, but you don't gain anything either (no rewards). You are able to go in and pick an opposing enemy team: Traya, Palp, Nightsisters, First Order, whatever team it is that you want to figure out how to fight against. Not sure how mods fit into it, but just being able to practice against teams to figure out what strategies work for your teams.

I bought the FO pack when I was new to the game so I have kind of "grown up" with this team. The more you play, the more you learn how to utilize them. Which means when I switch to Nightsisters someday, for example, I'm not really going to know how to use them. You learn so much more through experience, especially considering how much of the battling is reliant on RNG, you have to be able to adapt to the flow of the battle in the moment. It would be nice to have a place to go and practice with teams for the sake of understanding their synergies.

I know there are little training events when you are leveling up, and you can somewhat practice in Galactic War, but it isn't quite the same. The opposing teams tend to not really be a proper team.

One of the "issues" brought up with the idea of training grounds is that it will discourage people from doing rebuys in Arena to see if they can take down a team. I can see it working the other way. If you have confidence in your knowledge of a team, you're more likely to try a harder team comp, higher gp than you, higher gear level, etc, knowing you can adapt in the moment and potentially pull off a win. I'm curious to see what other people think. Would it encourage you to push harder, having faith in your team and knowledge of their synergy, or would it discourage you from doing rebuys since you can get the practice for free in the training grounds?

TL;DR: Would you use a training grounds if we had one? Would it discourage you from doing rebuys in arena? Would we need a pvp grounds and a raid grounds to practice teams against bosses without it costing us turns in the actual raids?

Replies

• vice
    90 posts Member
    Options
    needs to cost something, maybe ally points
  • Options
    I use my gw for that
  • Options
    Maybe you can use maxed characters that you’ve already unlocked.
  • Options
    Training with what you describe sounds cool but they will never just open up for you to pick whatever team you want to play with and battle against.

A major feature that alot of games feature are mock/practice battles that occur within guild and your allies. You can only use what is currently in your roster. And you fight what your other guild/allies set as their "defense or mock team". There would be a history page in your guild and in your personal page of what battles took place in your guild and any allies against you. And these battles could be watched by anyone in your guild, with a limit of say the 30 most recent battles. And it was a no reward, no cost, infinite use system for the purpose of endless replay fun/strategic/competitive use.

What i described is not a dream, it physically existed in another sw game, and also in parts in many other mobile games.

This has been requested endlessly by so many players for 3 years, and, were still waiting.

Also GW is not in any sense a comparable feature to what truly this really is.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They have discussed this in interviews. The main issue is not whether it will effect people refreshing (i'm sure they consider that too), but the issue they have to look at is will people want to spend more time in game. will the player base make use of something that they will have to put a fair amount of effort into developing.
  • Options
    Its a game based on collection, and building teams. It absolutely will be something many people will use.
  • Options
    Perhaps they should do a survey. Anyways I like the idea.

About mods, unless they provided a huge database of available mods. I think you would just get to set their stats.
    I AM the High Ground
  • Options
    It should definitely cost something at least. Make it cost ally points and maybe CG can get rid of the other complaint (multiple Bronzium buys) at the same time.
  • Options
    Why should it cost something? You realize your mindset has been molded by cg with their everything costs something game design.

A practice/mock systen is a fundamental system based off infinite replay value. You dont limit the user in that environment.

Cost ally points...why? Everyone has tons...what purpose would that do, it basically inifinite. But if the idea is it has to cost something, because dangit...it has too...then ok put ally points for no purpose just you can say it cost something.

Bottomline is there are certain features in games that are not your income generator....they are the magnets that bring people in, and keep them their so that they put their income towards the other parts of the game.
  • Options
    I for one love this idea, and definitely would partake in the use of this idea. I've thought about something like this myself.

Being a long time player, basically since the game started, I still think this game needs this. It's the best idea I've heard in a long time.. I also agree, that it would encourage, and invite the players to use this tool, while not suffering on the crystal refresh end.

Also if there is a possibility of a charge. I would be ok with that. What if it's crystal based? Would that satisfy both parties?
    Say 5 raid, and 5 arena tries per day, just the same as arena. Want more... Pay 25 crystals, 50,75. And so on.

As it is now any raid practice is all airplane mode. Just my 2c
  • Options
    I've discussed this same thing. Easy solution. This should be available in the guild, any of your guildmates squads they have set would be available, and it should cost 50 ally points to battle with a 10 minute limit. You can battle any of your own guild mates teams, it doesn't provide any rewards, no ally points etc. But you can only use your own toons.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    They have discussed this in interviews. The main issue is not whether it will effect people refreshing (i'm sure they consider that too), but the issue they have to look at is will people want to spend more time in game. will the player base make use of something that they will have to put a fair amount of effort into developing.

In other words; can they monetize it? If not, then no.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Maztoras wrote: »
    Its a game based on collection, and building teams. It absolutely will be something many people will use.
    tanki60o wrote: »
    Perhaps they should do a survey. Anyways I like the idea.

About mods, unless they provided a huge database of available mods. I think you would just get to set their stats.

They tend to use in game metrics. they spoke about GW being simmable and seeing who still plays it. I would also think they are tracking how many players use all the attempts on the marquee events.

increasing in game play time can sometimes be a double edge sword, so they are mindful of it.
  • Cimmeron
    13 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    JimbLogo wrote: »
    Also if there is a possibility of a charge. I would be ok with that. What if it's crystal based? Would that satisfy both parties?
    Say 5 raid, and 5 arena tries per day, just the same as arena. Want more... Pay 25 crystals, 50,75. And so on.

I feel like this is a pretty good compromise if it absolutely needs to cost something. Solves the problem of "keeping us in game too long", as well. If there is such an issue. ;-)
    Railingit wrote: »
    I've discussed this same thing. Easy solution. This should be available in the guild, any of your guildmates squads they have set would be available, and it should cost 50 ally points to battle with a 10 minute limit. You can battle any of your own guild mates teams, it doesn't provide any rewards, no ally points etc. But you can only use your own toons.

I think this is brilliant. It would also promote more in-guild communication as people battle each other, learn strategies, and overall strengthen guild comradery. It may also help guilds get a better idea of what other guildmates have going on with their rosters for Territory Wars, bolstering participation, efficiency and effectiveness. This also works to solve the modding issue as the other guild mates will have their chars modded. Would promote modding discussions and maybe more people wouldn't be as intimidated by them.

• Options
    JimbLogo wrote: »

Crystal charge like that would be horrible. Might as well just do arena as is. What exactly are we gaining...few more battles a day? Not worth our time nor devs time to even make. The point of mock/practice battle is to use as much as you want. Its not made to be limited...it defeats the purpose of it in the first place