New player looking to stay on the right path.

As the discussion title says, I'm a new player, I feel like I'm progressing efficently theough the game but want to make sure I continue to do so.

Currently I'm level 46.
I have 4* Ezra, Chopper, and Hera, 3* Zeb and Kanan(they will both be 4* after store refreshes today).
All five are completely maxed on the gear I can equip at my level and pretty much maxed abilities, a few are still level 3/4.
I unlocked Sebine but havent farmed her much since, other than 5 attempts daily for daily activities. I've been focusing my energy into gear. Worth the farm? (I do want to focus arena)

I have done zero farming for scoundrels, I realize the importance of credits, however I felt starting off strong in Arena as well as GW was well worth it. (I've been landing around rank 50 for the past few days, cant quite get top 50 however with all the pheonix mirror matches and p2p's) Should I start now as I feel like it's getting to be crunch time for scoundrels, or continue to power out pheonix? Maybe just unlock Bobba and ST Han then go back to Chopper and Kanan? Also should I farm Cad Bane from GW or is it unnecessary? Would probably 7* Zeb first as pheonix is my number one priority for legendary characters.

Finally, I'm highly confused about early mod farming. I understand that after completing the third level of mod battles, challenges unlock and farming should only be done in the highest tier. But, I have a friend who says that I will not be able to push that far right away. Is it worth farming grey mod's to sit on until I am strong enough for efficent farming? Or are they completely mistaken. (Casual player, fairly new as well, I could see that being the case).

My ultimate goal, is EP, Thrawn, R2, CLS then BB8 and JTR. Not sure if that changes anything.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to offer advice. I know these questions have been asked a million times, but it seems like its different for every case, would like an opinion on my own.

Replies

• Options
    Thought of something else, are starter guilds at all worth staying in until I'm strong enough to be an asset to a better guild? Tier 4 currently. Seems like raids are slow and I move on to the next guild before we even beat a raid. If I should move on, any recommendations on guilds friendly to new players? (I plan on being highly active and progessing as quickly as humanly possibly).
  • TaviRus
    172 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So you're starting off really strong. That's great.

For guilds, yes move on. Find the highest guild that will take you. Make sure they have 40+ actives. (all 50 is better, but people do have lives). Once you get to a guild doing T5 Rancor, you start getting raid only gear. There's a section on these forums for guild recruitment. You can post where you're at, and then guilds looking for players will recruit you.

As to your Phoenix and other characters question, I would suggest balance. You will hit a point around level 50 or 60 where you won't have enough credits to do everything, maybe sooner. Credit heist really helps with this. (this credit deficit will exist until you're at least 1.5m GP)

Also, GW is based on your 5 strongest characters. As you level, if Phoenix is your top team, it'll get harder to complete a full GW with just a Phoenix team. So having a second good team can be really good.

Don't be afraid of Bounty Hunters. Focus primarily on Phoenix, but getting Fett, Gredo, Cad Bane will be a decent core of BH for credit heists, BH events, and eventually the new Chewie Legendary. Fett and Cad Bane both have ships also. (Bossk is really good, but he's a long way away for you. Dengar is really good from Guild Currency store if you can afford him) IG88 works as a fill in, and he's a bit better now that he has a ship, but he has very low hp.

Given that you're unlocking ships soon, do try to also level a few pilots. (dark side ships in particular for a fleet challenge) Biggs is a really good pilot. Vader is excellent. Fett is really good for a while.

But I cannot stress enough that you need to be in a good, active guild. The amount of guild currency and gear that are generated by an active guild go a very long way into making this game much more fun.
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice greatly,

I'll start farming Bobba as I can, as well as Gredo and Cad Bane. Is ST Han not worth farming early anymore? Seems highly efficent seeing as he's needed for cls and also is usable for CH. What's the reasoning for Gredo over him?

If you wouldn't mind touching on the mod farming early as well I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to have a game plan for when I hit 50 in a couple days. I don't want to fall behind my shard after working so hard to catch up, (I started a couple days behind). If I'll be strong enough to push into challenges then great, but if not what should my strategy be.
  • Options
    Above is some very solid advice..... But I am going to disagree in regards to guilds (not that I think much of what I hear of the starter guild system).....

You have to be level 65 to participate in guild activities, so I would wait until then, or be prepared to guild hop..... The way I see it, there are 4 levels of guilds...

1- Takes all comers, requires a pulse that can generate tickets, usually never full
    2- Does Hrancor, expects level 65 and tickets, growing guild that made it past stage 1
    3- Haat guild looking to progress to sith, this guild will be at or near 50 members
    4- Hstr guild

What I would do is get at least one 7* toon and try to find level 2 guild that will let you in...
  • Options
    Mods - don't worry about them. Get what you can (a lot easier now that mods have their own energy)....trying to match sets and rarities and slicing is really more of a 7* level 85 trying to eke out a few more gp kind of thing. For now just fill the slots, and level them as money permits.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Bounty Hunters would be a good team to start investing in, as they're both a strong team for a lot of different areas and will double as scoundrels for heists. As the above comment mentions, you'll hit the credit wall hard sooner or later, so the more you can stash up now the better.

Based on my recent experience trying to get caught up, the legendaries/hero journeys are a good place to focus and will net you a decent core of usable characters:

Rebels ---> Palpatine/Empire ---> R2D2 ---> Commander Luke

Phoenix ---> Thrawn

First Order ---> BB8 ---> Jedi Rey

Bounty Hunters (there they are again!) ---> OT Chewbacca

Empire, First Order and Rebel teams all do well in territory wars/battles, and the legendary/hero characters are all pretty rad. Just getting those done should keep you busy for quite a while. Phoenix doubles as a Rebel team, so you can keep beefing them up for Palp and also use them to get Thrawn.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Sabine just yet, or at least make her a low priority - she's a long farm, generally regarded as an inferior choice to Chopper for getting Thrawn, and by the time you finish her you won't be leaning on Phoenix nearly as much. She mostly becomes useful later on for gimmicky raid teams to exploit Armor Shred, or to replace Ezra if you use him on a Jedi team.

One last note, also from personal experience: while you can get R2 without Palpatine, his Crackling Doom unique makes it exponentially easier, as he will knock off about half the enemy team's health just by standing there. I managed to get 6* R2 without him, but the last tier is actually pretty difficult sans Palp.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    STH is absolutely worth it as he's a very strong scoundrel tank and you need him for CLS anyway. The reason I suggested Greedo was if you're pushing for a full BH team. STH isn't a BH. BH can be used for Credit Heist, but also other activities. If you're just concerned for Credit Heist, I would suggest farming the quickest characters from different stores.

RE: Guilds. BuddaFett makes solid points. I'm just coming from a perspective of someone who stayed in a 10 person guild for FAR too long and it really held back my progression.

Mods: Do the best you can with what you can push through. Ideally, you'll get through all the T1 challenges fairly quickly on unlock, but T3 will take longer. If you can T3 one of the challenges, farm that type of mod. IE if you can 3 star HP mods but only 2 star CD/CC battles, farm the HP mods.
    I think it is worth it to make mod sets, and probably to level to 9 or 10, but I'm unsure if I would advise you to level the mods to 15 until you're dealing with 5 dot mods. I don't know if the value is there in the resources spent vs benefit analysis.
    Until you're level 70 or so, I would be surprised if you can get passed T2, but I may be misremembering how difficult mod battles were. (I think I was 68 or 70 when I got 3 stars on HP mods, HP mod set is good for Phoenix until max level)
    Very early, just get something on and complete set bonuses. If you can get speed secondaries, GREAT! But if you cannot, get set bonuses and as much stats as you can. 1 dot HP mod sets still give +5% hp at level 1.
  • Options
    For someone level 46, you’re doing great! I would try to get bounty hunters next, since they are multi use (assault battle, credit and training droid heists, TB mission, Chewbacca req, fantastic ships, etc.).

I would wait until 65 to leave your starter guild, since you wouldn’t be able to participate and get rewards from raids anyways.
  • Options
    Just some general legendary info:

Phoenix team can unlock Palp 7star as early as 75. and also unlocks Thrawn. That gives you 2 pillars of an Empire team (3rd being Vader, who you get from achievements, and Fleet currency store)

Palp, Thrawn and Vader really help unlocking R2, who is required for CLS. CLS makes it easy to solo the Rancor, which gets you gear.

The next goal most people set, is JTR. A First Order team is needed for BB8 and KRU (Kylo Ren Unmasked) is the best leader for FO teams. He and his ship are on the same cantina node, which makes it an EXCELLENT place to farm.

GMY unlocks from 5 jedi and is usually just kind of picked up along the way. He's really good now, and Phoenix team provides you with 2 jedi.

Throughout this process. BH/Scoundrels help with other events. Credit heists, some gear/mod salvege events, Rebel Round up, BH events.

So at current, there are 3 major paths to follow that end in legendaries. Phoenix->Empire->CLS, FO->Resistance->JTR, and BH->Chewie. We're expecting a 4th to be added soon with Revan, but that is all speculation.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    TaviRus wrote: »
    Mods: Do the best you can with what you can push through. Ideally, you'll get through all the T1 challenges fairly quickly on unlock, but T3 will take longer. If you can T3 one of the challenges, farm that type of mod. IE if you can 3 star HP mods but only 2 star CD/CC battles, farm the HP mods.
    Health mods are thr first to unlock, should be among the easiest challenges and are always useful. I would focus there.
    I think it is worth it to make mod sets, and probably to level to 9 or 10, but I'm unsure if I would advise you to level the mods to 15 until you're dealing with 5 dot mods. I don't know if the value is there in the resources spent vs benefit analysis.
    Speed arrows are well worth maxing, even at 1* - they will get passed to second line toons later.

4- and 5-dot mods with speed secondaries are worth taking to lvl 12.

Other 3-dot or higher mods are worth at least unlocking all four secondaries if in use. 3-dots can be used on second line toons later.

I would sell 1- and 2-* mods (with the exception of speed arrows), it's a waste of credits to power them up.
    Until you're level 70 or so, I would be surprised if you can get passed T2, but I may be misremembering how difficult mod battles were. (I think I was 68 or 70 when I got 3 stars on HP mods, HP mod set is good for Phoenix until max level)
    A higher level ally can help lower the threshold by acting as a "hero" toon who may even be able to solo part / all of the mission. In general though, those 8-stage mod challenge battles are a pretty brutal grind.
    Post edited by Rath_Tarr on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Farming Boba Fett's hard nodes will not interfere with farming Phoenix shards. If you decide to buy Boba shards instead of Chopper shards, then only do so until Boba is 4*, then complete Chopper. Alternatively finish Chopper first while only farming Boba from his hard nodes.

Furthermore, since you will hit level 60 soon and unlock ships you may start planning a bit ahead by farming pilots where it doesn't interfere with your farming of Phoenix. Biggs' ship is still a great ship. FOTP and JC ships are good mid game as well. If you're lucky to join a young fleet shard, you could have an easy entry to top ranks and further crystal income.

I wouldn't focus on bountyhunters like someone suggested just yet. You will need to at some point, but not yet. You will get there soon enough.
  • Options
    I have a pretty solid understanding of the path to the legendaries as they were the only reason I started playing the game really, but the information is greatly appreciated all the same.

TaviRus you have been insanely helpful, as have all of you so again, thank you. The community around this game is amazing, and refreshing(I'm a League of Legends player, toxicity is always expected).

I will start my team for Credit Heists with Bobba. Cad Bane, ST Han(really want to stay on track for CLS asap)and depending on my guild income I guess I'll start on Dengar as well. Once I finish Kanan and get ST Han in SAS, I'll get Gredo to round out BH for elsewhere with IG 88 for a stand in.

Is this realistic or will I need to pause Kanan to get Gredo earlier? If so 5* kanan? 6*? What should my minimun be for moving on from my Arena team to gather the BH's I need for TB and such.

For mods I guess I'll do what I can, and hope I can push all the way to Health Mod challenges as soon as mods are unlocked to start hard farming those.

• Options
    I would go to at least 6* and then make a guess depending on what level you are and where you are time-wise in the Thrawn rotation. He shows up about once every 2-3 months, so if you are close, I would push through and get Thrawn. You can always level him later once you've gotten the credits, but with unlocks being hard time gates I would plan around those.
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd push your 5 PS until they are 7* and around gear 8/9 (basically when you hit the stun gun wall) they will be able to clear t3 of all the mod challenges and can generally clear GW every day. That will give you a team that at least can hit Hpit and Haat and will net you rewards.

I'd also find a guild asap, the starter guilds are useless, and the sooner you find a good group of players the better. Even just one 7* toon will allow you to join heroic raids and get loot.I joined one that simply required me to get 600 tickets daily, an easy task, and I haven't regretted a moment of being with this awesome group.

Also once you can clear the health mod challenge, I would grind out a set of all Hp mods for PS, really helps when you are still lower level to keep them alive.

Fyi, I'm not a seasoned vet, been playing for just over two months. These are just my own observations as well as bits I've picked up on the way so far. Warriors "4 pillars guide" on YouTube is a good starting point too, although it could use some tweaking now as its 6 months old.
  • Options
    @Rath_Tarr I do believe you mean speed arrow - there are no speed triangles (primary stat at least).
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Options
    @Rath_Tarr I do believe you mean speed arrow - there are no speed triangles (primary stat at least).
    You are of course correct. Thank you for catching that.
  • Options
    y2hdytbfwrs3.png

If you don't have a home yet you can join us for a bit. We're active, you can score your Han solo with us pretty fast. Always have raids going, always help new players. We have a few heavy hitters that just like to chill and help out.

SkywalkerOG1
  • Options
    I am now leveling my 3rd account (i have a thing with alts..), currently at level 72, and I can give you a fresh overview from a veteran player.

1. Guilds. There are a lot of guilds that are not full and farming haat and hrancor. You can get into one at your level, which will boost you quite a bit. Look for their discord if they have a higher level requirement, to get a direct invite. Just make sure you promise them tickets :)

2. Main team. I strongly suggest to go full force on First Order. You can get KRU, phasma, FOX quite easily at the beginning. 4th slot should be Bobba Fett, 5th your choice, but I am aiming for FOSFTP.
    I've started with phasma lead (galactic war) , fox (cantina energy) , bobba(cantina currency), and after 7* fox, i moved to kru and swapped him in as lead. I'm also using normal energy on fost, as he has two nodes.
    Left over normal energy, i'm dumping into bastilla. Will get to that later on

3. Do not skip Scoundrels! The weekly Credit Heist is the most important event to have it unlocked at the highest tier, otherwise you will be starved for credits. I mentioned at point 2 you should aim for Bobba. From pvp currency you can get STH which will count, and later on (after phasma) you can get cad bane from galactic war.

4. Long term plans. After you finish FO and you have high enough scoundrels to own credit heist, get the following:

4a. Phoenix (will unlock thrawn and palpatine)

4b.Jedi, preferably you got a decent bastilla by now (see end of point 1 above). Keep in mind that you have kanan and ezra as jedi from 4a. Luminara is a great deal as she comes from galactic war, and can be done after securing Cad Bane(see point 3).

4c. Sith/empire, you have palpatine and thrawn from 4a, you can start building your empire team, which will unlock r2. I suggest palpatine, vader, tarkin, tfp and and thrawn.
    You can also get fillers, like stormtrooper (cantina currency) or even royal guard if you get lucky from friend currency. Make sure you use an auomated tool to farm those packs, as they can get you a lot of gear and chars useful at this level.

4d. Ships to unlock the zeta challenge.

And last but not least,
    Research before investing!

Do not gear chars after they ougrew their usefullness. For example, you will be tempted to gear up the Phoenix squad. Don't. They do not scale well.

I hope I didn't miss any step. Good luck there.

• Options
    I forgot mods. Unlock the 3rd node from the health challenge asap, and farm that for a while.
    After you get some high level friends (from the guild which runs haat, that you joined), run all the mod battles on auto until you unlock speed challenge.
    After that, farm speed mods for a while (again, only the 3rd challenge)
    Any mod that is bellow 5* is useless in the long run
  • Options
    Hi

• Options
    First Order is a lot of fun, and you will enjoy some success with them. Best part is getting Jedi Rey. They will eventually fail you though, just like every team you build.