Can Someone Explain QGJ?

Prev1
I realize Qui-Gon Jinn is a big part of the speed meta right now and alot of the top ranked players on my server use him as leader. I have a Qui-Gon and I'm working on building him up but I'm having a difficult time understanding how he is so amazing as a leader due to his leader skill. His leader skill literally says

"Jedi Allies Gain 23 Speed"

That's the highest level of his Leader ability, but it seems to only effect Jedi. Yet the Qui-Gon teams aren't groups of 5 Jedi. Most of the time it's just Luminara sometimes there's a Yoda occasionally a rare chromium only Jedi or even a rare Jedi Consular. Still how exactly is Qui-Gon's 23 speed leader bonus so amazing as a leader ability when it seems to only effect Jedi. I mean is making Luminara and Qui-Gon faster really so amazing on it's own that it dominates the meta?

Someone please clarify this for me, thanks.

Replies

• Options
    No, it's just that his own skill, the assist, is almost a OHKO on most characters since the assist does QGJ's damage+assisting toon's damage +75% additional damage bonus for the assisting toon. So it's like having 3 hits at one of the highest speeds in the game from 1 hero's turn.
  • Options
    Yes. He basically gives himself first turn over 95% of the other characters. Using his special calls an assist, allowing any slow character to attack before their actual turn with an added 75% damage. That's a kill for almost any character. If you use GS the same thing happens next turn and the opponent is down 2 characters on two moves. If you are using Yoda he gets a turn in there too due to qgj's leader ability
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options
    No, it's just that his own skill, the assist, is almost a OHKO on most characters since the assist does QGJ's damage+assisting toon's damage +75% additional damage bonus for the assisting toon. So it's like having 3 hits at one of the highest speeds in the game from 1 hero's turn.
    And grants offense up for everyone for taking away one of the other teams positive buffs with his 3rd special.

• Options

So really it's less about his leader skill ans more about his special abilities? The leader is skill is just being used to get the first attack?
  • Options
    You forgot to mention his taunt breaker also. And the super short cool down of his assist ability. And the fact that he has a reasonable amount of health. There are literally no tradeoffs with this guy. Geonosian Soldier is a smidge worse then qui gon but basically has all the same benefits qgj has except the taunt remover
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Quiet I'm having fun with teams that have no lead, as people seems not to get how he works
    Team QGJ(L) GS, IG-86, FOTP & Sid/Poggle/Dooku :D
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    His leader skill is great and his assist is also fantastic. They really should nerf him and make the +75% additional damage be for Jedi only like other characters with similar assist abilities.
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options

So really it's less about his leader skill ans more about his special abilities? The leader is skill is just being used to get the first attack?
    I run a QGJ lead, he has speed, and great hit with assist and a ability to take away the other teams buff and grant offense up for the whole team, if not using Jedi I'd still have him as one of my main team characters

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Even if he gives the bonus to himself, that means he starts the fight with the assist. With +75% assist damage, if you surround him with strong damage dealers, it ussually means you start the fight 5v4. It can also start a dominó effect. Imagine you have QGJ, Geo, Rey, Luminara and FOTP. The other guy has the same, bit Phasma instead of QGJ.

Your goal is to one shot his Geo with QGJ. Then it is turn of speed 149, as his Geo is dead, yours act, and kill his Rey. Then it is turn for speed 143, his Rey is dead, your Rey kills his FOTP. When his Phasma acts, the game is decided.

That is the theory behind him. Then, of course, there are other things you can do, and RNG, etc.
  • Options
    Lightheart wrote: »
    His leader skill is great and his assist is also fantastic. They really should nerf him and make the +75% additional damage be for Jedi only like other characters with similar assist abilities.

+1
  • Options
    Triqui wrote: »
    Even if he gives the bonus to himself, that means he starts the fight with the assist. With +75% assist damage, if you surround him with strong damage dealers, it ussually means you start the fight 5v4. It can also start a dominó effect. Imagine you have QGJ, Geo, Rey, Luminara and FOTP. The other guy has the same, bit Phasma instead of QGJ.

Your goal is to one shot his Geo with QGJ. Then it is turn of speed 149, as his Geo is dead, yours act, and kill his Rey. Then it is turn for speed 143, his Rey is dead, your Rey kills his FOTP. When his Phasma acts, the game is decided.

That is the theory behind him. Then, of course, there are other things you can do, and RNG, etc.

Interesting...thanks too bad I'm a long way from a 7 star QGJ lol.
  • RU486
    1686 posts Member
    Options

I run him at 5, he survives

• Options
    I run QGJ(L) Rey, Yoda, GS, RG.. I like my team
  • Options
    RU486 wrote: »

I run him at 5, he survives

I have a 5 star QGJ and everytime I've used him he seems to die really easily. I don't have a upgraded FOTP or GS though. I don't have Rey at all.

mP6s9sW.png
    Vnk9IEo.png
  • Options
    And he gives Lumi second or third turn to heal any damage done to him. However, there are a ton of sids and dookus around to counter him. I have no issue attacking at QGJ team. Dooku eats him
  • Options
    And he gives Lumi second or third turn to heal any damage done to him. However, there are a ton of sids and dookus around to counter him. I have no issue attacking at QGJ team. Dooku eats him

That is what RG is for. Dooku stuns QGJ takes 50% health .. RG Taunts game over for the Dooku / Sid teams..

• Options
    While most people only run an additional Jedi or two on their QGJ lead teams... Let's not forget that he boosts them in front of several toons also. Most people use Lumi as their main healer. His 23 speed boost usually allows her to go at the perfect time for a heal. I'm currently working on Anakin too. He is almost done and I might test him out in place of someone. QGJ's leader skill boosts Anakin to a 158 allowing him to jump in front of everybody's beloved Geo Soldier too.

Also... One of the biggest complaints about old Ben is that he is too slow. That speed boost gets him fast enough to do his mind trick in front of a lot of toons.

I love me some QGJ!
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    I have never seen his assist give someone 75% damage increase.... It gives a bonus but it's no way 25% more damage than offense up.
  • Anraeth
    536 posts Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of also running QGJ lead without another Jedi, but it's imperative in this high speed meta. Leader bonus is pointless if they are already dead before getting a turn. I depend highly on bursting down the highest threat immediately with GS back up if RNG fails me.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    J7000 wrote: »
    I have never seen his assist give someone 75% damage increase.... It gives a bonus but it's no way 25% more damage than offense up.

Take in account that it is 75% damage for the basic attack.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options

The basic attack of Rey, GS, and FOTP are darn strong and I've Never seen them get a 75% damage bonus making it higher than offense up.

I'll try some experiments in a couple challenges
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

The basic attack of Rey, GS, and FOTP are darn strong and I've Never seen them get a 75% damage bonus making it higher than offense up.

I'll try some experiments in a couple challenges

I have just made my first GW node. I remembered this thread, because I used QGJ, who called JC. JC did about 5300 damage in a crit. Next attack was Geo, who also called in JC, and his crit was about 2800.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Options
    Haha my 5* Rey has hit for 9k on a QGJ assist. The 75% damage increase to the assister is very real, and happens once you level up his harmonious assault.
  • Options
    Meh. Just run his master, Count Dooku. Eats QGJ for breakfast
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mazurka wrote: »
    Haha my 5* Rey has hit for 9k on a QGJ assist. The 75% damage increase to the assister is very real, and happens once you level up his harmonious assault.

Shh...J7000 hates facts. Even if they were spelled out in plain English by the devs themselves.

• Options
    Speed
    Utility
    Power
    Synergy

He has all 4.

We really were lucky to get him in cantina.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    I use QGJ in my arena team, but not in lead position because he's my only Jedi on the team.

Personally, I think his leadership ability is bugged. It states Jedi ALLIES have their speed increased. To me that implies teammates but that it shouldn't apply to himself, otherwise I think the flavor text should just read Jedis without the word allies.
  • Options
    I use QGJ in my arena team, but not in lead position because he's my only Jedi on the team.

Personally, I think his leadership ability is bugged. It states Jedi ALLIES have their speed increased. To me that implies teammates but that it shouldn't apply to himself, otherwise I think the flavor text should just read Jedis without the word allies.

I agree. This game has issues with descriptions since I joined in November. Whether they are bugs or just inaccurate descriptions really is confusing.
    Bye Forums.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options

All leaders are spelled like that and all of them work with themselves. Sid gives crit to himself, HK gives. TM on crits, Phasma gets assists from hi s attacks, etc.

All chars are their own ally
  • rosigod
    82 posts Member
    Options
    Way too OP toon, he needs to be nerfed.

75% increased damage from assist? ROFL.