Do I need to adjust my expectations of CG communication?

Prev1
As the devs remain silent on Revan (A whole lot of players, myself included, were upset with how he was released. ANY sort of explanation as to why would be most welcome), and most other issues that seem to arise, I fondly reminisce to earlier this year, when the devs were doing interviews on Youtube channels, monthly Q&A's (these were FANTASTIC, I can't think of a single reason why they stopped), and Carrie (along with others, but she was the main one I remember) responding to a good number of posts on the forum, even if it was just a "Hey, we hear you".
I'll admit, my confidence in Capital Games maintaining and growing SWGoH has never been very high. I've observed waaaaaay too many reactions, where the devs implement something, then have to madly backpedal. However, during those couple months of bliss, even when crap hit the fan, and mobs of flaming torches gathered, their constant communication on every decision, even the bad ones, especially the bad ones, gave me hope. It's what caused me to continue spending, and even increase the number of purchases I made. Do I agree with decision x? No, but at least I know the devs know I'm unhappy, and that they may take my opinions on x into consideration. Even if they don't, at least I know they heard.
That's the worst part about silence. You have no idea if the people in charge are even aware.
All of which brings me back to my original question. Should I adjust my expectations? I thought CG was turning over a new leaf, with the dev blogs, Q&A, but apparently these were temporary. I thought they should have someone who's job is to monitor the forums/Reddit, and (more importantly) engage on those mediums, letting us know we're being heard (General responses to posts, but especially megathreads. I see no reason why a post on a problem people are having should eclipse 10 pages without a dev response).
Doing these things on a regular basis seems perfectly feasible in my mind (I feel like I could do most of these things, even my current full time job), but it's entirely possible I'm completely mis-interpreting, and need to adjust my expectations.
#CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).

Replies

• Options
    I should add, in this rather gloomy post, that the puzzle teasers from Crumb have been one of my favorite things, and I REALLY hope we keep getting them.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    I don't think there any huge mystery going on here. When revenue dips, they speak more, when revenue spikes, there's no need. You even alluded to that in your post, saying you spent more when they communicated more. Then the new toon comes out, people spend a ton of money, so they don't need to communicate. You also pointed out that when they do open up, they are often either incorrect and have to back peddle, or make promises that they don't deliver on and subsequently have been excoriated for it. So their incentive to communicate is not there for anything other than to rally the spenders in the fan base between big dollar releases.
  • Options
    Do you HAVE expectations? Then yes. Adjust them. 🙂
    Go Pens!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ScottyLee wrote: »
    I don't think there any huge mystery going on here. When revenue dips, they speak more, when revenue spikes, there's no need. You even alluded to that in your post, saying you spent more when they communicated more. Then the new toon comes out, people spend a ton of money, so they don't need to communicate. You also pointed out that when they do open up, they are often either incorrect and have to back peddle, or make promises that they don't deliver on and subsequently have been excoriated for it. So their incentive to communicate is not there for anything other than to rally the spenders in the fan base between big dollar releases.

It seems you are eluding to the road ahead and revan, if so, I believe you are a little off base. There is a difference between causation and correlation.

Take the road ahead for example, it has things in it that they cant disclose because of internal things that need to get done for the information of the next quarter to be released. There may also be events in that tied to other game and movies and things that they want to tie together.

I'm not trying to say you are completely off base, but sometimes things don't have a bearing on each other as it may appear.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also, Captain +1.

Clone Helmets
  • Options
    I think people.need to stop using the term "the devs" in regards to everyone who works for cg and EA ....

-devs are Carrie and Capgasp...... And a few others.... These are folks responsible for developing and directing new content..... Under orders from EA....

-CGsbcrumb is the community manager..... The guy that EA allows to tell the community certain things after he escalates player complaints and concerns and hears back to hat he is allowed to post "xyz"...... He is not a dev..... Not by any stretch of the imagination.....

The fact is, ea has farmed out this game to capital as a third party provider and, as such, there are certainly an expectations and contractual obligations.....
  • Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    I think people.need to stop using the term "the devs" in regards to everyone who works for cg and EA ....

-devs are Carrie and Capgasp...... And a few others.... These are folks responsible for developing and directing new content..... Under orders from EA....

-CGsbcrumb is the community manager..... The guy that EA allows to tell the community certain things after he escalates player complaints and concerns and hears back that he is allowed to post "xyz"...... He is not a dev..... Not by any stretch of the imagination.....

The fact is, ea has farmed out this game to capital as a third party provider and, as such, there are certainly many expectations and contractual obligations.....

• Options
    Circle talking. The communication hasn’t improved. Hero journey requirements are terrible.

Players are upset (I mean when are we not lol) with no feedback. I don’t expect any word on Revan requirements tbh.

The problem with the road ahead is that we are herded towards and then told why are you asking for it so much.

What should active players for 3 years do? Not come to the forums? (There is a really strong case to be made for this)

This game is tough because I always feel like I’m doing something wrong. Wanting info that is promised and enjoying the community that comes with it - I should stop whining. Just wait they will get to it- they haven’t though, like ever.

No one is asking for super duper secret info here. It amazing that the amount of players this game retains the dev to player communication is this bad.
  • Options
    Circle talking. The communication hasn’t improved. Hero journey requirements are terrible.

Players are upset (I mean when are we not lol) with no feedback. I don’t expect any word on Revan requirements tbh.

The problem with the road ahead is that we are herded towards and then told why are you asking for it so much.

What should active players for 3 years do? Not come to the forums? (There is a really strong case to be made for this)

This game is tough because I always feel like I’m doing something wrong. Wanting info that is promised and enjoying the community that comes with it - I should stop whining. Just wait they will get to it- they haven’t though, like ever.

No one is asking for super duper secret info here. It amazing that the amount of players this game retains the dev to player communication is this bad.

This game is not as tough as you think it is...... It's the illusionary "need " that makes you think it is tough......

You can have lots of fun in this game with your guildmates without being obsessed with farming Revan, or any other toon for that matter.....

Too.msny in this game focus on arena and the latest and greatest..... Focus more on what would make the game fun for you and help your guild....
  • Options

This game is not as tough as you think it is...... It's the illusionary "need " that makes you think it is tough......

You can have lots of fun in this game with your guildmates without being obsessed with farming Revan, or any other toon for that matter.....

Too.msny in this game focus on arena and the latest and greatest..... Focus more on what would make the game fun for you and help your guild....

Agreed. I took a break and came back and do not go hard in arena. Makes it much more enjoyable. No way I was paying for Revan and I’m not ftp.

But I just mean the dev to player connection. Imo the community - here, Reddit, and guilds are a huge driving force to this game and doesn’t get the respect it deserves.
  • Options

Agreed. I took a break and came back and do not go hard in arena. Makes it much more enjoyable. No way I was paying for Revan and I’m not ftp.

But I just mean the dev to player connection. Imo the community - here, Reddit, and guilds are a huge driving force to this game and doesn’t get the respect it deserves.

I completely agree... But, as a guy living the corporate life, these CG folks really have their hands tied by EA..... So much more than the average player thinks....
  • Options
    If I learned nothing else from Mad TV, it's that the key to happiness is through lower expectations.
  • Options

I completely agree... But, as a guy living the corporate life, these CG folks really have their hands tied by EA..... So much more than the average player thinks....

I think this is a really great point that obviously devs can never say. I think of this often but still. Some things can be helped and improved on.
  • Options

I think this is a really great point that obviously devs can never say. I think of this often but still. Some things can be helped and improved on.

I work as a third party provider..... I have left jobs for less than what these guys go through....
  • Options

I work as a third party provider..... I have left jobs for less than what these guys go through....

Interesting thank you for the insight.
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Options
    Follow the money. Your explanation/realisation will soon follow.
  • Emmant
    93 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Take the road ahead for example, it has things in it that they cant disclose because of internal things that need to get done for the information of the next quarter to be released. There may also be events in that tied to other game and movies and things that they want to tie together.

I'm not trying to say you are completely off base, but sometimes things don't have a bearing on each other as it may appear.

You are right that the silence can be interpreted differently, and have different reasons and what not, however:
    In the first week of April, it is my plan to release the Road Ahead for the next couple of months. The Road Ahead falls at the beginning of each fiscal quarter (approximately every three months). On top of at least four Road Ahead blogs a year, we will also be doing periodic State of the Galaxies, which are intended to address hot topics in the community, and are reactive to something that may be pertinent at the time. There are also going to be, as always, regular communications from our community team that usually correspond to hotfixes and patches.

They are not living up to these commitments whatsoever - This is one thing in itself

We are 1/3rd past duedate - This also weighs in

The point is IF they are not ready to release a timely road ahead post, for whatever reason, they could very easily make call it a "state of the galaxy" and explain what the hell is going on.

Being silent despite the commitment to be more open gives off a distinct malicious feel, which definately supports ScottyLee's sentiment in the eyes of people without insider information. Either it's malicious (read: manipulative) or **** poor management, I really don't buy the "force majeure" feel you are eluding to

(edit: fixed the quote)
  • Options

How can this be a focal point when they roll out too s every other week. In one month well over half of my guild is now 4 months behind.
    I get it, keep grinding, but for crypes sakes, they sure aren't helping in the confidence department.
    I also feel that they are taking small thi ga away from long time players so that new players can be more competitive earlier on. Little things, such as speed on mods.
    HEY....GIVE US BACK SPEED & OFFENSE
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    CG is a business! The only things on their mind first and foremost is $$$. Everything else is last. I think one of the main issues is how long we have to wait to actually get good use out of released characters. A perfect example for me and a lot of others is Baze and Chirrut were very very good when they came out, so as soon as they became farmable, a lot of us went after them. The issue is when we finally finished farming/gearing them both, they aren’t used much anymore. All the fun uses with them are out the window. Its problems like that example that most of us have issues with. They really do need to implement a better system to releasing these characters...especially with them being released to us back to back to back.

TB,TW,raids.... yep no fun places to play those toons any more. :smile:
  • Options
    Not adjust but subvert
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options

This.

Have no expectations. Then when something is communicated, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry, I said "when" but I meant "if."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Pan2218 wrote: »

How can this be a focal point when they roll out too s every other week. In one month well over half of my guild is now 4 months behind.
    I get it, keep grinding, but for crypes sakes, they sure aren't helping in the confidence department.
    I also feel that they are taking small thi ga away from long time players so that new players can be more competitive earlier on. Little things, such as speed on mods.

I don't have many of the latest toons upgraded past the 3* you get them at.... Bastila being the outlier.... And that was 90% farmed the rest of the way and not bought..... I'm an officer in a great, productive guild.... We raid six nights out of seven and enjoy each other's company.....

Again, you don't "need" all of these new toons, and if you are the arena obsessed type, there are at least 5 team comps out there right now that remain competitive in arena, even a couple that don't require more than one newish toon or any at all for that matter....

I will also disagree with you that they are catering to new players, in fact I see the opposite..... Imagine being a day one player with your farmboy Luke, Clone Wars Chewie and Ewok Scout and looking out into a sea of characters with kits that read like a website cookie policy..... Would be totally overwhelming....
  • Rojas
    336 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

This.

Have no expectations. Then when something is communicated, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

So if people don't have expectations, why was there an outcry with how Revan was released? Have no expectations, and just move on; Right?
  • Options

Yup, and the few weeks of Q&A's, Dev blogs, etc, really gave me insight into how cool the CG folks are. So should I be asking for EA to let CG communicate more?
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Rojas wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

This.

So if people don't have expectations, why was there an outcry with how Revan was released? Have no expectations, and just move on; Right?

The question was about communication.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Pan2218 wrote: »

I don't have many of the latest toons upgraded past the 3* you get them at.... Bastila being the outlier.... And that was 90% farmed the rest of the way and not bought..... I'm an officer in a great, productive guild.... We raid six nights out of seven and enjoy each other's company.....

Again, you don't "need" all of these new toons, and if you are the arena obsessed type, there are at least 5 team comps out there right now that remain competitive in arena, even a couple that don't require more than one newish toon or any at all for that matter....

I will also disagree with you that they are catering to new players, in fact I see the opposite..... Imagine being a day one player with your farmboy Luke, Clone Wars Chewie and Ewok Scout and looking out into a sea of characters with kits that read like a website cookie policy..... Would be totally overwhelming....

They should give new players phx and imperial troopers off the bat.

I feel one thing I am lucky enough to experience. I had a chance to work on factions I enjoyed. You can still do that but run the chance of missing out on metas/events/requirements.
  • Options
    It's pretty straight forward. When they feel their business is threatened in some way (competitor releasing, low revenue, or major mistake in the part of CG/EA) they got into communication model. We get reasurances, QnAs, appreciation events, and grandiose statments/apologies from the higher ups... But when things are going good (revenue is high, competitors are failing, no "major" controversies on CG/EAs part, then CG goes into ghost mode. Last spring was the most active we have seen CG in regards to communicating and showing their appreciation to the entire player base... But that was because of they were worried about the up coming release of MSF and they had to deal with the embarrassing behavior of their previous CM post Sion release.

Now again I am normally extremely critical of CG, but I can acknowledge that we don't know what decisions are and are not made by CG as apposed to EA. However the pattern of no communication outside of "here's are new expensive toy" or the random hidden post on a random Reddit topic needs to stop.
  • Options
    Jos33680 wrote: »

This is actually not that much in the online gaming industry. I would have guessed a lot more. Popular free-to-play PC MMORPGs rake in $100+ million in revenue, mostly through microtransactions. Of course they have a bigger developer & customer service infrastructure to support, but I'm not sure if their server infrastructure is so different from SWGoH. This game must get a lot of server traffic considering there were over 2 billion smartphone users in 2016.