Let's actually talk defense in arena.

LordAlvert
1193 posts Member
It's the million dollar question. What team would you least like to face? What toons make you run away and not target.

Qgj has switched everything for me. I love it if you have poe or Droids. Sid used to scare now irrelevant.

I don't like seeing 3 dps peeps(fotp,gs,rey) together, Rey still, old ben. I hate gs but every team has him...

No one wants to address this cause we all have secret ideas I'm guessing... but I am going to put this out there. See if the meta will change...

My ideas for all avoidance/defense squad... I have 5 ideas and would love you guys feedback...

1) Squad with 5 guys you must kill round one:qgj,gs,rey,fotp,ig88,ig86,daka,maul etc.

2) squad with five guys you would prefer to attack last: fives,dooku,aayla,kit,anakin, savage, Kyle

3) squad with five double hitting (assisters) guys: fives,qgj,gs,ig86,tuskan,Biggs

4) stun squad:dooku,daka,rg,eeth?,who ever else....

5) five toons the ai crushes you with due to frustration ("throw your phone against the wall all-stars"): daka, ewok elder, leia, lumi dodge, and any others you guys might add...

Would love the forums thoughts. Yeah I know maybe I have been wasting some time...

Replies

• LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    Options
    The best defense is perception of not wanting to target. Opposite of this is running jedi consular.
  • CookieCrispp
    555 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are a few thoughts about arena defense, and in my experience I've seen some of them actually work.

The "I don't care, the AI sucks" mentality.
    Leaves their O team, especially if it already fits into another category. Most players live here.

The "burst/assist speed setup".
    By setting up high speed assist toons (QGJ/GS) and high dps toons (Rey, FOTP, Leia) this player hopes that the AI can win speed coin flips, and banks on high damage and assists to rng cripple the other team. It can work, it can also fail spectacularly. Most top end arena lives here. The thought of "I may only have a 20% chance to instagib someone important" is still 20% higher than most defensive teams see.

The Daka strategy.
    Usually accompanied with high damage or assist toons, this also can exist as its own strategy. It banks on Daka revives to produce an rng situation that the human simply cannot compete with. Sometimes this is based in pure statistical beliefs, sometimes AI hoodoo magic beliefs. Either way, when 3 enemies pop back up in a close arena match, you're gonna have a bad time.

The slow and steady.
    This team has really fallen off, but the basic idea is a team that can either run off the clock or can simply outlive a no healer burst team. Usually requires some rng, RG luck, or not optimal enemy dps. This team sometimes exists with Phasma for some rng goodness.

Turn meter shannanigans.
    Usually abusing either Poe, St Han, OB, and even sometimes Phasma, this strategy focuses on the premise that with enough attacks the AI will eventually kill something. By applying a taunt or OB lock, and adding in turn meter manipulation, sometimes the AI can have an entire volley without return fire, and sometimes it accidentally focus fires properly.
    A secondary setup similar to the turn meter involves stuns(Daka Dooku are the most common) to cripple enemy teams, especially in preparation for a turn meter lock.

There are other strategies, hybrids of the above, etc. these are the basic premises behind most top end arena defense. A new addition has been RG into speed dps, forcing the opponent to plan out one shots, taunt removals, or even focusing RG down first. This usually works as a decent deterrent, until the RG is in first place and the fight has to happen.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    QGJ, FOTP, GS, Daka, Poe. I have a pretty hard time against that team.

My lineup is Sid, Rey, GS, Poggle, Poe/Dooku and don't do too bad on defense, although Can still drop into the 30s some days.
    Sinister Alliance (Leader) - accepting waitlist members - PM for information
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    I avoid no one in the arena!

My rank is so low I don't really have to fight the big guns.
  • Options
    This team has recently appeared on my server and is giving me a lot of trouble so far.
    Sid (lead)
    R. G.
    G. S.
    Rey
    Ewok Elder.

All max star, level, gear.
    I haven't been able to beat it.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    This team has recently appeared on my server and is giving me a lot of trouble so far.
    Sid (lead)
    R. G.
    G. S.
    Rey
    Ewok Elder.

I have heard mention of a team similar replace sid with daka.
    2 revivers
    2 hard hitters
    2 stunners
    Sounds like a pita.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Sid (lead)
    R. G.
    G. S.
    Rey
    Ewok Elder.

I have heard mention of a team similar replace sid with daka.
    2 revivers
    2 hard hitters
    2 stunners
    Sounds like a pita.

Not sure who would lead in that team. Sid seems like a better choice because of his leader ability. The first team seems pretty solid, wish I had that lineup.
  • LaLiam
    1589 posts Member
    Options
    There's someone on my server that runs Han(L), Poe, GS, Rey, fotp.

Even with a really quick squad you cant take out all 3 attacks before the other 2 taunt, its really quite awkward.
    {RotE}
  • Galgenstrick
    849 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    LaLiam wrote: »
    There's someone on my server that runs Han(L), Poe, GS, Rey, fotp.

Even with a really quick squad you cant take out all 3 attacks before the other 2 taunt, its really quite awkward.

Is he consistently top 5? There are some squads on my server that never drop below 10. These are the ones I think have a strong defense, unless of course they use refreshes though out the day to maintain a rank that high all day... We will never know i guess
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    Options
    There are a few thoughts about arena defense, and in my experience I've seen some of them actually work.

Hope this helps.

Awesome response by the way thanks...

What is your response to red guard? In high end arena? You gotta basically kill him first right? I beat him /rey/gs/qjg/Yoda for #1 but the first time I led thin alone and I paid the price. Second time I just pounded him first and held on for dear life as Rey and gs hit me.

• Options
    Against the traditional glass cannon RG setups I tend to go for a mix of lockdown and one shots. I run a speed dps QGJ Yoda Rey Dooku GS comp, so I tend to just setup the GS Rey burst for a one shot. Or trigger RG with the Rey opener and go for the humbling at the top of round 2. It's highly dependent on what I'm facing.
    I personally think it makes sense to kill Rey first and open on RG only if I mess up (which shouldn't happen if I play my moves right). Knowing rough hp and damage numbers makes RG interesting to play around, but it should be reasonable to work around.