Do the right thing- schedule maintenance BETWEEN TW, not during

Not really sure who came up with the absolutely brilliant idea of scheduling server maintenance during TW, but bear with me a second, wouldn't it make just a LITTLE bit more sense to do something that you have a history of failing at in between TW rounds? That way, you're not throwing a wrench into the whole works for an hour plus as you try to patch the servers but ultimately end up screwing things up for a ton of people in the process?

Replies

• Options
    See where you went wrong is by throwing logic into the whole situation..
  • Options
    Gama_Fox wrote: »

you're right, I should've known better. logic has a tendency to get my account suspended.
  • Options
    a far far stretch. Maybe the maintenance will be done by people outside of CG making it the third parties schedule and not CGs.
  • Options
    jackstraw wrote: »
    Gama_Fox wrote: »

you're right, I should've known better. logic has a tendency to get my account suspended.

Sad that it has come to this, but still very much true.
  • Options
    Its a 30min update. Not going to effect territory wars.
  • Options

Lol this guy got jokes
  • Options

Until it’s not 30 minutes and due to the global nature and complex guild structures it does create a bit of havoc.
  • Shockers
    172 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    First day not being suspended, looking to get another warning quickly or buried.
  • Options

like the last 30min update that lasted 4 hours, or the one before that, or the one before that....
  • Options
    Shockers wrote: »
    First day not being suspended, looking to get another warning quickly or buried.

this is by far the longest any of my threads have stayed in general since like 2016. i wonder if they only pay moderators during controversial content updates.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options

like the last 30min update that lasted 4 hours, or the one before that, or the one before that....

The 4 hour was a crash unintentional.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    they do updates every week (for the most part) player facing one week server side the other. if they always moved either the update or the event, it would effect the schedule. I'm not saying this couldn't lead to an issue, but "it shouldn't"

they know when it might have more of an effect and they have tried to work around events or vise versa, they would know better than us what has a bigger chance to cause an issue.
  • Options
    Who cares about 30 minutes...
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    they do updates every week (for the most part) player facing one week server side the other. if they always moved either the update or the event, it would effect the schedule. I'm not saying this couldn't lead to an issue, but "it shouldn't"

The weekly updates do not consist of half hour+ anticipated down times, and are usually just a triggered client restart. This is inevitably going to cause people to lose battles at 20:15 UTC, and likely going to cause more issues when they come back online but the servers aren't working properly, as is usually the case when we see 30 min+ scheduled down times. Obviously they know enough that this is going to be a bigger-than-normal disruption with messaging saying they're expecting it to last 30 minutes, so why not just do it tomorrow when there isn't a major event going on? The track record of these server maintenance rollouts is horrendous, I've been playing this game long enough to know that.
  • Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »

no ****. those crashes are always unintentional, it hasn't stopped them from happening every time they've scheduled major VM maintenance.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »

no ****. those crashes are always unintentional, it hasn't stopped them from happening every time they've scheduled major VM maintenance.

Exactly. The 4 hour crash was unintentional. I don't think they intend on breaking the game for 4 hours, but wouldn't it be smarter to do the update that could turn into a 4 hour crash unintentionally during a time where there are no guild events actively happening....

Not even saying anything against the programmers for the crash. Electronics can crash, it happens, but shouldn't they know that's a possibility when they're attempting the likely difficult task of fixing servers? Does seem like a poor choice of timing.