Whale getting disillusioned with the game, possible fixes

Territory Wars used to be the best part of the game. I'm fairly certain it turned me from a dolphin to a Kraken. I now have 163 toons, 162 of them at G12, 7 stars. I can honestly say that it was the release of Territory Wars and the enjoyment that i had with that part of the game that made me whale out.

Why on earth, you ask? I completely hate the squad arena and the meta chasing aspect of the game. I have no interest in spending two months to farm just to get CLS maxed out with zetas so that he can be meta for 45 days. I'd rather theory craft all day and try different combinations to come across a best practice; and after about level 83, the only place to do that is in squad arena and territory wars.

Territory wars allowed me to grow my roster diversely and theory craft on different toons to use together. I'm now in a 200 MM Gp guild, and I dread when TWs come around.

Why? Its now the same game as Arena, but with guild shame for trying out new teams or leaving Turn Meter on teams that you fail with. At the high levels, players are basically just placing walls of the last 4 or 5 metas, which is basically what you find in arena anyway. Its become completely stupid and repetitive. . . and I have to wait two days for it.

Not just being a hater, i have a few suggestions to make it the best part of the game again.

The best would be to force guilds to use a limited number of the same team make-up. For instance:

Revan, GMY, JB, HY and GK, lets call that Squad A. What if a guild could only place five such instances of exactly those characters together under the Revan lead? Only 5, or maybe 10 Squad A's.

That would force other guild members to try other teams, it may be as simple as swapping out General Kenobi for Kanan, but at least its better than dealing with 35-50 Squad A's in a typical territory war.

Guilds leadership could use SWGOH.gg to find out who has the best ranked of a given squad at any time, adding a more fun planning process.

And this could only apply to defense, and/or only apply to toons and not ships. At the very least, it would take away the absolutely boring and tedious aspect of needing to check stats on 50 the opposing guilds metas every battle to see if my Vader is faster than their R2(stats and mods that i set a day and a half ago, BTW), or whatever other kind of **** it involves to avoid the wrath of my guildmates for being inefficient in my battles.

I think this alone would be enough of a change to make theory crafting, collection building and territory wars fun again, but in addition, or in the interim:

-Remove the bonus for TW defense wins, or discount them in some way(see below).
-Don't leave turn meter on defeated teams unless they have lost a toon.
-Allow ties in TW to pay the same amount. ---
-or come up with some sort of sudden death shoot-out for ties: total successful defenses, total number of a 7 star random character the guild has, etc. Maybe bonus guild points for having those 7 star toons that change from war to war, that has the added benefit in getting people to collect their whole team, not just the meta teams.

In short, defense in TW at the higher levels has become the same game as arena. You fight the same squads. But at least in Arena, there is no downside to losing, no acrimony among guild mates. Consider the only way to avoid that acrimony is to put the game in airplane mode after you start a battle. Is that what devs really want?

Replies

• Options
    Another possibility to award collection building in TW: 5 random toons per TW, disclosed at the beginning of the set-up phase. Maybe for every player who has those toons maxed, they get a blanket bonus in every war battle; +5 speed for ever character in the whole war for a max of +25 speed each? Or maybe just those random toons get a mix of upgraded abilities so that there is incentive to farm, gear and train them? Something, because Arena is the most boring portion of the game, and TW is the same darn thing.

Otherwise, whats the incentive to grow a bunch of characters when you can get by with just 4 teams on O and 4 teams on D?
  • Options
    I dislike p2win in general, so wouldnt normally care, but I agree with your recommendations, they would spice up things, with minimal development work.