New mod ideas

Speed still reigns supreme (may be more than ever).
So I was thinking a way to spice things up a bit in the mod department could be to create new mods, with different and powerful effects, so that people can work in different directions, that can kind of counter speed. Here are a few ideas:

-Health Steal mods
-Counter Chance mods
-Ignore protection mods

What do you think? Other mod ideas? Better ideas? Scrape my proposal? I should hide under the table? OK

Replies

• Options
    Speed is still the king. Does it really matter if we have some other sets?
  • Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »

Well, yeah, that's the point, how to dethrone speed. (Also having fun and trying new things.) When hitting Dooku under Nihil lead speed was not as important as stunning him, right? So any ideas to fight speed? If you attack my RaidHan guarded by Chewie you are probably going to kill yourself; speed is less important there. That's where I'm heading. Can new mods act against speed? Because they're not going to nerf speed (nor should they), and mods 2.0 didn't achieve what they pretended.

-Stun chance mods
    -Go all in and make "Decrease enemy speed" mods

What do I know, I'm not great reading kits, but surely speed can be countered, and new mods could help for that, don't you agree?
    Thanks for the input though, lol
  • Options
    Well, I like the idea, but there should be more balance even with comparison to mods 2.0
  • Options
    Speed in a turn based game will always be king
  • C3Peio
    37 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Wrathor wrote: »
    Speed in a turn based game will always be king

Hell, mate. Someone had to say it, and you did. Thank you. Now can we move on?

Now, if anyone wants to play a little brainstorming game (100% FTP!) called "New fun mod sets", go ahead. Just for the fun of it, what the heck. Go crazy.

-Copy enemy buffs mods
    -Chance to dispel de/buffs (own/enemy) mods
  • Options
    C3Peio wrote: »
    -Copy enemy buffs mods
    -Chance to dispel de/buffs (own/enemy) mods

That seems overboard, Mods that are essentially abilities...?

Health Steal sounds like fun, though.

Splash Damage mods?
    "The dark side, the light... both have merit. Why not half of each...?" - Harvey "Two-Face" Dent
  • Bouu
    109 posts Member
    Options
    How about evasion sets
  • Options
    I keep pondering:

what do you think would happen if they got rid of speed mods altogether? I mean in an utopian top arena (without further mod changes a matter of time), assuming everyone is playing the same mods anyways, thus speed basically gets reset to basic toon speeds.

I'd guess, related to speed, this would be the easiest way to balance toon as good as possible

OR

what would happen if the other mods stats would increase further or scale differently with toon classes? Attackers getting less speed from speed mods than tanks/supports or something like that?
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Cossin wrote: »
    I keep pondering:

what do you think would happen if they got rid of speed mods altogether? I mean in an utopian top arena (without further mod changes a matter of time), assuming everyone is playing the same mods anyways, thus speed basically gets reset to basic toon speeds.

I'd guess, related to speed, this would be the easiest way to balance toon as good as possible

Then whoever has the highest speed becomes the new arena darling, probably.

I've always felt that since nobody really uses Defense or Tenacity sets, they should roll them into a single mod type called "Bulwark" or something that gives both stats. They'd still probably never get used, but it'd clean up the mod system a bit.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    I think the devs are waking a very fine line. They need to let people digest all the characters and ships they have unloaded on us.
    I’ve had 6 people leave our guild. 5 leave my squad arena and 3 leave my fleet arena. At this pace people are getting burned out and frustrated with the overload of characters. Put new mod sets on my lap and I’ll be in the same boat.
    6 dots are long enough of a farm.
  • Options
    Armor penetration mods, protection mods, and a % by pass protection mod set would all be welcome.
  • Options
    I don't think there should be a dispel or reduce speed mod set, however a splash damage mod set would be cool. Imagine splash damage on Chewbacca/raid han. I also like ignore protection mods, but then Nest would be worthless, so that won't happen. Health steal and counter chance I think would be alright, and not game breaking. Stun chance would have to be very low (~10%) or it could actually be gamebreaking. Good ideas though, would definately like to play in arena without that desperate need for speed.
    Looking for an amazing new guild? Check out Boba's Allience: discord.gg/trr93Ty
  • Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »

Well, yeah, that's the point, how to dethrone speed. (Also having fun and trying new things.) When hitting Dooku under Nihil lead speed was not as important as stunning him, right? So any ideas to fight speed? If you attack my RaidHan guarded by Chewie you are probably going to kill yourself; speed is less important there. That's where I'm heading. Can new mods act against speed? Because they're not going to nerf speed (nor should they), and mods 2.0 didn't achieve what they pretended.

-Stun chance mods
    -Go all in and make "Decrease enemy speed" mods

What do I know, I'm not great reading kits, but surely speed can be countered, and new mods could help for that, don't you agree?
    Thanks for the input though, lol

Stun chance mods already exist. They are called potency mods. Though they only work for characters with stun abilities.
  • Options
    I was thinking it might be cool to have sets that give abilities or bonuses in forms other than stats. I’m thinking along the lines of tier bonuses in WoW. The mods would be raid rewards, like WoW.
  • Options
    5% evasion (4)
    10% health steal (2)
    10% Counter chance (2)
    5% Assist chance (2)
    ??% defence penetration (?)
    I feel like these could be cool mods to use.
  • Options
    5% evasion (4)
    10% health steal (2)
    10% Counter chance (2)
    5% Assist chance (2)
    ??% defence penetration (?)
    I feel like these could be cool mods to use.

Assist chance! Brilliant!
  • Options
    I would like to have force drain crystals on any opponent, just for myself though.
  • Options
    Speed still reigns supreme (may be more than ever).
    So I was thinking a way to spice things up a bit in the mod department could be to create new mods, with different and powerful effects, so that people can work in different directions, that can kind of counter speed. Here are a few ideas:

-Health Steal mods
    -Counter Chance mods
    -Ignore protection mods

What do you think? Other mod ideas? Better ideas? Scrape my proposal? I should hide under the table? OK

Health steal and counter chance are good ideas. Ignore protection isn't a percent thing, like you can't say "This mod gives +10% more ignore protection", it's an either you have it or you don't thing. You have ignore protection or you don't. But there's definitely plenty more things they could add to mods.
    I AM the High Ground
  • Options
    I made a post about mods the other day, I was thinking more weapon mods than regular mods. No speed secondaries, just upgrades to weapons that when fully upgraded gave an additional bonus that was Omega or Zeta worthy. I like the assist chance, cool idea. They could also have negative impacts for your opposition, like: -20% defense on hit when fully upgraded.

First mod, +5% offense. Second mod, +10% health steal. Third mod, +25% chance to stun. Full upgrade of any 3 mods: all allies gain 35% assist chance.

You could have so many different single mod choices to further customize your crews. Mods are the only difference between two mirror teams.
  • Options
    How about Protection steal/recovery mods?
  • Options
    To completely break the game, cooldown reduction.
  • scuba
    14066 posts Member
    Options
    Bouu wrote: »
    How about evasion sets

No no no no no no no no
    the only evasion that should exist is a one time from a buff.