Replies

• Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    H
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Why would EA/CG want to provide income to people that don’t positively promote their game?

Again, they dont provide payment. Youtube does that and cancelling the program wont stop those guys from making videos or youtube revenue

They don’t pay them directy but they do make money using the things EA/CG provide them so my point still stands loud and clear.
    And youtube pays no one its an outlet for the subscribers to pay.

Pretty sure you're wrong on that one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42395224/evan-edinger-the-five-ways-youtubers-make-money

Positive that doesn’t say they get paid by youtube

Not directly. I was pointing out it's not just subscribers.
  • Options
    Why would EA/CG want to provide income to people that don’t positively promote their game?

Again, they dont provide payment. Youtube does that and cancelling the program wont stop those guys from making videos or youtube revenue
    Yeah, but being Game Changers gave them unique access to the game that gave them an advantage in content over the standard YouTube gamer—if there are any. A standard non-Game Changer who makes videos has a much harder time of getting views than someone who not only gets early access, but gets posted in the kit reveal thread.

Cancelling the program won’t stop former Game Changers from getting views, but evens out the playing field a little.
    Madpup wrote: »
    Xezee wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »
    How so? If their gamechanger privileges ended, they are not bound by any law or agreement. They become just players ranting about things like us.

YT copyright protection is completely broken. Any use of music, in-game footage or artwork can be used for DMCA takedown. I think they could take the channel down for even saying "Star Wars" regardless of context. Don't think too high about the internet of 2018, it is money-driven and corporate controlled.

You don't understand how fair use works apparently.

You don’t understand how YouTube works, apparently.

YouTube won’t take your video down if it’s fair use, but they’ll demonetize it in a heartbeat.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    H

They don’t pay them directy but they do make money using the things EA/CG provide them so my point still stands loud and clear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42395224/evan-edinger-the-five-ways-youtubers-make-money

Should’ve made a broader statement other than im wrong when my points are right.
    What you meant to say your right but they make money other ways too. ;)
  • Options
    H

Should’ve made a broader statement other than im wrong when my points are right.

Fair enough. I re-read your exchange with shaggyb and I realize what you're saying. Sorry my point was a little irrelevant.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Can we please stay on topic.
  • Options
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Discussing how game changers earn from videos seems right on point. However this seems to br random and off topic
    Kyno wrote: »

• Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Yeah, but being Game Changers gave them unique access to the game that gave them an advantage in content over the standard YouTube gamer—if there are any. A standard non-Game Changer who makes videos has a much harder time of getting views than someone who not only gets early access, but gets posted in the kit reveal thread.

Cancelling the program won’t stop former Game Changers from getting views, but evens out the playing field a little.

But it doesnt.... as the whales still whale and the field is still based on that.
  • Options
    No more game changes
  • Options
    What are the game changers?
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

How so? If their gamechanger privileges ended, they are not bound by any law or agreement. They become just players ranting about things like us.

YT copyright protection is completely broken. Any use of music, in-game footage or artwork can be used for DMCA takedown. I think they could take the channel down for even saying "Star Wars" regardless of context. Don't think too high about the internet of 2018, it is money-driven and corporate controlled.

YouTube won’t take your video down if it’s fair use, but they’ll demonetize it in a heartbeat.

And they hold the money to the video and give said creator a chance to state their case. Since it's clear fair use they would then reward the earned money to the creator. Now EA could go the Nintendo route sure... But EA doesn't copy right claim anyone elses videos for being critical of their games. Look at how BFV has been getting crap on over the past several months. EA hasn't been issuing a rash of take downs for critical BFV videos, so why would they start for SWGoH.

Edited to remove swearing. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Options

Not true. Critical reviews of copyrighted materia falls under fair use.
  • Options
    I would wager it's because not everyone honors the NDA.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

“Stay on target!..” (c)
  • Options
    The Game Changer Program as told by the Death Star...
    dfecb6xvutlg.gif
  • CapnJack81
    100 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Deleted comment since i dont really care either way lol
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    As someone who watches some of the Gamechangers videos occasionally, I'd like to say that the gamechangers program shutting down is bad for the Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes community

The CG Narrative:

They've been positive about a lot of characters, announcement and kits which is always viewed as drinking the CG kool-aid by some people but that's not the case. They genuinely enjoy those characters, announcements and are expressing them. CG doesn't tell them to like it or tell people to like it. Which is what I like about CG, they don't force the Game changers to only state things positively

The Gamechangers aren't force-fed by Capital Games to push forward a narrative or agenda, I've seen a lot of them criticize and express disappointment on things Capital Games has been doing over the months. I've seen almost all of them express dissatisfaction with the Sith Triumvirate Raid. Ahnald whaled out on Jango Fett and it was the first time he whaled out on a toon and he stated that the experience was awful and he would use his direct channel to let them know that the $300 price tag for a single marquee toon needs to be changed. I've seen Warrior plead to CapitalGames on a video requesting for Jedi Knight Revan's event to be delayed by a week or two, he was on-track to farm Revan and unlock him in time. He only plead to them for the sake of the community. And then there was Mobile gamer's video where you can just see how bad it felt for him to whale on a single toon and it was detracting people from spending money on the game. They are not CG shills at all. They are just fans of the franchise.

Theory crafting:

Honestly, don't get the hate of them using test accounts to theory craft. A lot of ideas are done through game changers test account. They do live streaming and requests from the community, and plug and play those teams and check if its a good fit or not. A lot of the videos, they'll talk about spending hours and hours to find the best composition. The zMaul / Enfys combo was discovered by Mobile Gamer to counter Revan. Without the game changers program, everyone has a limit of 5 arena attempts, with a 10 minute waiting between arena battles and they don't have new toons at 7 stars, fully geared to experiment on. They can only raid via guild raid and they won't be able to experiment on phases anymore because the other 49 members will be blitzing it. So its less theory crafting now than before where anyone can DM them and try a team out.

Was going to post something very similar to this but no need to say what's been said. My 2 cents is I never had a problem with the Game Changers. I get annoyed with Ahnald's obsession with General Grievous but if I don't want to watch his content that's what I'll do (not watch it). Mainly I watch them for the theory crafting and the ability they have to take test accounts and show what a theorized team can do in the Sith raid since that's what my guild is building up to. Skelturix's videos were an IMMENSE help! So to see that stuff go (assuming that it has been discontinued) seems to be another ball dropped by CG. Add it to the list of 2018 which has been a banter year for them for the cluster kittens they have bestowed upon the community this year.
    SWGOH Guild: Peace is a Lie SWGOH Profile: Boofpoof Discord: Buffpuff#3065
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    Cubs, mobile and ahnald talked about it abit in their stream today. Program isnt dead.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

And they hold the money to the video and give said creator a chance to state their case. Since it's clear fair use they would then reward the earned money to the creator. Now EA could go the Nintendo route sure... But EA doesn't copy right claim anyone elses videos for being critical of their games. Look at how BFV has been getting crap on over the past several months. EA hasn't been issuing a rash of take downs for critical BFV videos, so why would they start for SWGoH.

Edited to remove swearing. - EA_Cian

Well actually, you don't see the fact that the vids de-monetised unless the person who made it comes out and says it.

I uploaded something from Fallout 4, for example, it contained about a minute of a radio... instantly was copyright striked - And had forced ads that go towards the owner of the song. I don't monetise my vids but if I did, that would not only de-monit it, but also monit it for the over of a song made like 20 years ago.

Are all those BF vids monetised and giving revanue to the actual makers of the vids? hmm ;p Imagine that, without even knowing, all those ads people watch actually give revanue to ea instead of the maker of the vid.

See EA is smart about this, they know how to make money. Doing what Nintendo has done is... not for smart people.
    Cubs, mobile and ahnald talked about it abit in their stream today. Program isnt dead.

Well that's disappointing. The game changer vids are some of the worst part about this game. I was so hoping the program would die so people who actually put effort into getting and gearing the characters- and actually put their own effort into theorycrafting and testing teams could actually be noticed for a change. Problem is that mobile/ahnald/cubs, the more popular ones, all are terrible gamers. Cubs voice especially is grinding to listen to.
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Seems we have our answer for now.

Closing, this has gone off topic enough.

If you wish to continue the conversation on how You Tube works and how people support their work, please do in "off topic".
This discussion has been closed.