Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• After we had a few GAs I really like it! :) if the matches are fairly equal it really is interesting and it also encourages you think about how to best use your toons. Unlike others I think the 24h phases work just fine. I also like them having different modes like 3 vs.3 or with ships or modes with and without hiding etc. That keeps it interesting. Nicely done!

The boring and annoying bits were however, when it was already clear from the start who would be the winner of a match-up. It was from my experience not as extreme as I initially feared although some examples I saw from others were.Therefore I think the matching system is not exactly unusable but could be improved.

As I mentioned before I don't even want to get into the "fairness" discussion because as the last ten or fifteen pages show that seems pretty pointless. For me it is about enjoyability . It is a game after all. And it is obvious that matching purely based on GP will often lead to encounters that are determined before they even started. That is at least to me no fun. It then becomes chore to simply collect rewards. There are enough of those in this game already.

Therefore I really hope they continue with GA and will run it more often than just once per month. I also hope they will try and improve the matching mechanism so that match-ups are more equal and thus more fun.

• I'm sure this is written down somewhere but I can't find it, so sorry if this is a dumb question. What is the schedule for the Grand Arena? I feel like my last one ended well over a week ago and it's read "No Grand Arena events are active at this time" ever since. I thought they were starting as soon as the previous one ended. I'm surprised/annoyed that there is no timer on this event to show when the next event starts.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    So I just looked and there's a GA concurrent with the DSTB and then another TW week after that week. Was that a recent update? I don't remember that when they originally added the DSTB to the calendar.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Has there been any word whether Fleet GP will still count towards matchmaking if there are no ship territories? That seems really unfair to those who have strongly invested in fleet--they are unit that cannot possibly be used.
  • @CG_SBCrumb any news if auto defense will be back anytime soon? It is realy frustrating to „fight“ against people that just signed up for the 8th place rewards (who wont bother to set their def) It means no extra Credits, no Quest Rewards and even more important no Fun.
    Thanks for the answer in advance and sorry if it already has been answered elsewhere.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    I hope at the very least they have considered removing ship gp from calculation when ships aren't included in the battle.

I say this as someone who has added circa 100k gp between bh ships and millennium falcon in the last week.
  • Dear CG, 3vs3 doesn't work if you don't include ships.
    Also I believe this game is well balanced for teams of 5 toons, 3vs3 sometimes can be very frustrating... a 6vs6 actually might come out much better than 3v3
  • Elgard
    3 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Naraic wrote: »
    I hope at the very least they have considered removing ship gp from calculation when ships aren't included in the battle.

I say this as someone who has added circa 100k gp between bh ships and millennium falcon in the last week.

I can second that. Makes no sense to count ship GP in cases where there are no ship battles involved.
  • This will be my first GA. If ship GP is still included, I don't stand a chance. My ships are almost 45% of my GP, plus I've collected a ton of fluff based on the pre-GA paradigm that every character helps in TW and TB. It seems like a no-brainer that ships should either not count or be playable.
  • jedilord
    337 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    OldBen wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb any news if auto defense will be back anytime soon? It is realy frustrating to „fight“ against people that just signed up for the 8th place rewards (who wont bother to set their def) It means no extra Credits, no Quest Rewards and even more important no Fun.
    Thanks for the answer in advance and sorry if it already has been answered elsewhere.

@CG_SBCrumb
    please no! if i choose not to defense my territories than because i don´t want it!
    and as long as you gave scrap rewards GA is not on my list to try hard for winning the ketchups (yes you are reading right, what you are doing is no matchup)... i get 3 zetas for 1 day attackphase in TW..
    i have to battle 3 days and i have to win every time for that 3 zeta (even though TB is live, and needs attention)... sry, that´s scrap... make it 9 than it´s at least TW worthy

and what about a GA with only fleets?
    a second time you choose GA with no fleets... i am for a GA with no toons!
  • The better you are on fleets the more zetas you have and the better your characters are. So they can’t just ignore ship GP
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    People not participating is the worst thing about ga. Can we make it like tw that zero banners means no rewards.
  • Naraic wrote: »
    People not participating is the worst thing about ga. Can we make it like tw that zero banners means no rewards.

Personally I think if people are intentionally not going to put down defences because they don't like GA, or some aspect of it, therefore stopping others who do like the mode from gaining resources or furthering quests, they should get ZERO rewards.

If you don't want to participate, don't hit the join button.

Don't take your frustrations out on other players just because your nose is out of joint
  • jedilord wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb any news if auto defense will be back anytime soon? It is realy frustrating to „fight“ against people that just signed up for the 8th place rewards (who wont bother to set their def) It means no extra Credits, no Quest Rewards and even more important no Fun.

@CG_SBCrumb
    please no! if i choose not to defense my territories than because i don´t want it!
    and as long as you gave scrap rewards GA is not on my list to try hard for winning the ketchups (yes you are reading right, what you are doing is no matchup)... i get 3 zetas for 1 day attackphase in TW..
    i have to battle 3 days and i have to win every time for that 3 zeta (even though TB is live, and needs attention)... sry, that´s scrap... make it 9 than it´s at least TW worthy

I have no words for that kind of attitude. Well...i‘ll try to be polite and ask you two questions...
    First of all: do you realy want to compare the timeinvestment of TW and GA? If so - are you aware that you can do all your GA battles in a couple of minutes? No need to wait for your guild to enter the next territory no nothing.
    If you are just not interested in fighting but you still want to enter for the rewards (wich is fine with me) my next question would be: why do you care if your def will be set automaticly or not? Believe it or not - most people i know love GA and would rather fight a auto def than no def. +Preventing others to work on the quests is a ****move.
  • Angelloyd wrote: »
    The better you are on fleets the more zetas you have and the better your characters are. So they can’t just ignore ship GP

That's a crooked argument. Zetas increase char GP already.

• Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Elgard wrote: »
    Angelloyd wrote: »
    The better you are on fleets the more zetas you have and the better your characters are. So they can’t just ignore ship GP

Exactly, which in turn mean you go up against stronger enemies and may have to put out extra squads on defence and need more for offence.

Ship GP should not be included in match-ups, but unfortunately it is. But at least it means everyone who just got the Falcon may have already lost the GA before it even started :D
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Elgard wrote: »
    Angelloyd wrote: »

Exactly, which in turn mean you go up against stronger enemies and may have to put out extra squads on defence and need more for offence.

Ship GP should not be included in match-ups, but unfortunately it is. But at least it means everyone who just got the Falcon may have already lost the GA before it even started :D

I don't see where getting one ship would affect ga that much.

In fact, of my 8 opponents, only two of us have a 5 star falcoln. But when I compare the strength of our rosters, I'm still at an advantage.

I look at a few things for a quick comparison and it is usually a good indicator.

1. Number of g12
    2. Fastest toon. (Both who it is and how fast they have them). That's a good indicator if they have good mods or know how to use them.
    3. Arena rank.
    4. How many recent meta toons they have. (traya especially is also a good indicator of how long they've had hstr on farm and how much potential g12+ they have). In particular whether they have revan, traya, chewie or 3PO.

Ship gp isn't even worth looking at. And what I've noticed is that those that don't have a 5 star falcoln likely also don't have any or only one of the 4 recent neta toons above.

By your logic my roster with traya, chewie, and 3PO, good mods, several good tw teams, and an arena team that takes top 5 regularly is going to lose to people who have no recent meta toons, not so good mods, and arena teams that are in the 200s. Because I farmed falcoln req to keep an edge in fleet arena.
  • cfodder
    85 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    jedilord wrote: »

@CG_SBCrumb

I have no words for that kind of attitude. Well...i‘ll try to be polite and ask you two questions...
    First of all: do you realy want to compare the timeinvestment of TW and GA? If so - are you aware that you can do all your GA battles in a couple of minutes? No need to wait for your guild to enter the next territory no nothing.
    If you are just not interested in fighting but you still want to enter for the rewards (wich is fine with me) my next question would be: why do you care if your def will be set automaticly or not? Believe it or not - most people i know love GA and would rather fight a auto def than no def. +Preventing others to work on the quests is a ****move.

Ive got to disagree on time. A week of GA takes way more time than TW. Yet we got 5 zetas in 2 TW this past week. It took what, 10-15 min to set defense and I checked in occasionally and attacked. I could've run all my attacks in 20 minutes. And 50 of us got those 5 zetas. With around 50 in the other guilds getting 5 as well. How many people get 3 zetas from GA? 12.5%. 1/8. Only half get 2+. They should give the winner 6 zetas. 4 or 5 for 2-4th, 3 for 5-7 and 1 for 8th. For a week. 3 separate strategizing/defense setting sessions and 3 attack sessions.

I completely agree on not setting defense though. I've only had it happen once and it was nowhere near anything I'd call fun.
  • cfodder wrote: »
    Ive got to disagree on time. A week of GA takes way more time than TW. Yet we got 5 zetas in 2 TW this past week. It took what, 10-15 min to set defense and I checked in occasionally and attacked. I could've run all my attacks in 20 minutes.

Your guild clears the entire map in 20 minutes? Not sure what GP tier you guys are at, but TW takes awhile for us in the 140-150 million GP range. The only reason is takes less time to set defenses is because you have guild officers doing the work and scouting the other guild and organizing the strategy...all that stuff takes time, you're just not the one spending the time...you just have to wait until they tell you what teams to place. These last couple TWs took up a lot more time in that regard as we had to come up with new strategies, new teams and make sure everyone understand the rules, who was banned, the buffs, etc. GA is spread out over a week but it doesn't take up a week's worth of time....and I would bet most people set roughly the same defensive squads each round with maybe a little variance.
  • OldBen wrote: »
    jedilord wrote: »

@CG_SBCrumb

answer 1: yes i want, because i can also choose to do my battles in a couple of minutes if i´m playing TW

answer 2: have i said that i don´t set def? no i have not, only because i want the possibility to set no def doesn´t mean that i would do it
    +Preventing others to work on the quests is a ****move.

do you change your arenateam to CUP after your payout? if not it would be a much more " ****move" than setting no def
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @DarkHelmet1138

Ok you lost me, some people just gained 100-200k+ GP from one event, possibly meaning they need to put out another squad on defence, and need another on offence, and are fighting harder opponents, because of ships, which is included in the pool for GP match ups, which means that its harder for them then it could have been... because ships are not in this GA. was pretty simple to understand what I meant :p
  • I face players that are inthis game twice or three times than me, my account is only 10 month. This because my hips are 45% gp . they have 200k more gp arena it means they have so much more well geared and modded toon with double zeta since they are in the game for longer time.

The "ships gives zetas" argument is just stupid. Because if you have more ships means that your ship currency is spent in SHIP BLUEPRINTS/Shard not zetas.
  • Has GA started already? Calendar says 1/20/2019 but i don't/didn't see any GA related activity.
  • maraexibil wrote: »
    Has GA started already? Calendar says 1/20/2019 but i don't/didn't see any GA related activity.

You've missed the signup phase then sadly. Right now everyone is setting defence for Rd 1
  • Dammit. I never missed an event in the last 2-3 years! There must be a notification dot on the table. Devs!
  • maraexibil
    197 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    maraexibil wrote: »
    Has GA started already? Calendar says 1/20/2019 but i don't/didn't see any GA related activity.

You've missed the signup phase then sadly. Right now everyone is setting defence for Rd 1

Was it moved from later to 1/20? I kinda remember the 24th?

Devs should count how many active players missed GA5. If large enough, @CG_SBCrumb and team may not have posted enough timely info. UI team may also need to work on this (notification dot or table animation change when GA is active). I think a lot of people also missed previous GAs.

For example, servers will verify that I played several hours during the signup phase and still missed it.
  • maraexibil wrote: »
    maraexibil wrote: »

Was it moved from later to 1/20? I kinda remember the 24th?

Devs should count how many active players missed GA5. If large enough, @CG_SBCrumb and team may not have posted enough timely info. UI team may also need to work on this (notification dot or table animation change when GA is active). I think a lot of people also missed previous GAs.

For example, servers will verify that I played several hours during the signup phase and still missed it.

One thing I've observed is that the notification dot doesn't appear if you're in game when the event goes live. If you never "log out" I guess the dot may never appear.