Do I NEED Wampa? Really? Conjecture for RotJ Luke.

SamuraiUX
265 posts Member
edited November 2018
I've got Hermit Yoda 7-starred and am excited to use allllll that currency for gear now. Except... I don't have Wampa and I'm wondering... do I need him?

Let's get this out of the way real quick, okay? I don't want him. I know you could spend paragraphs glorifying him because plenty of people just love the hairy old dude. But I am working on lots of other characters I'm excited about right now and I just couldn't care less about this weird minor character who - by the way - I think gets a bad rap being "Dark Side." The Wampa has no allegiance! He's just trying to survive on the mean streets of Hoth! I'll bet he'd be just as happy hanging Palpatine upside down for a snack as Luke if he had the chance. ...But that's neither here nor there.

The real question is: should I reasonably worry about needing him for Luke's next hero's journey? I'm hearing people say "yeah" but I think that's only b/c he and Luke share a pretty intimate scene there in the cave. LOL. To my knowledge, we've never needed an enemy character for a hero's journey, have we? Usually, characters require their ally characters, not their enemy characters, to proceed, amiright? So getting Hermit Yoda should probably have done the trick?

What's the word on the street and what are your thoughts? Remember: this isn't a 'convince me Wampa is rad!' post. I mean, go ahead if you can't stop yourself. But yeah.

Thanks for your sparkling wit and fine conjecture,

Sam UX

Replies

• Options
    Why would you need an enemy for a hero’s journey? Of the three we’ve gotten it’s all been allies.
  • Options
    SamuraiUX wrote: »
    To my knowledge, we've never needed an enemy character for a hero's journey, have we? Usually, characters require their ally characters, not their enemy characters, to proceed, amiright?

That is correct, it has never been needed before. But prior to Revan we never had a Journey without first having a version of the Journey character. That proves they *could* do anything, and you should be ready for whatever. At least get his stars is what I say.
  • Vendi1983
    5024 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Wampa's a Rebel-destroying machine!

• Options
    Im also farming Wampa, solely because of that possible Luke requirement.
  • Options
    Its not a dude. Its a female wampa. Its a girl.
    Do or do not...
  • DarthZannaH
    577 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Jokes aside, to answer your question, no you won't need Wampa cause the pattern is you only need characters of the same alignment therefore you will need lightside characters to unlock RotJ Luke. My guess will be CLS CHS ROLO HYoda +1 (the 5th is gonna be a wild guess could be anything... ogChewie, R2, C3P0, Wicket...)

The guy above argued CG can do anything but this is not the case here because they wont require 2 GET toons for one legendary. They wont be able to milk $$$ from it... its gonna be either u are 100% prepared or 100% you wont get it no matter how much u spend cause u will get stuck on GET...

So IMHO no, Wampa wont be needed
    Do or do not...
  • banjo1071
    312 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    To make it short: HAAT P3+P4 solo.
    Toons need gear, HAAT generates gear, and Wampa is a toon, that generates A LOT of ROI.
    You dont need him, thats true. But you want him badly (you just dont know it yet..)
  • Options
    I've got Hermit Yoda 7-starred and am excited to use allllll that currency for gear now. Except... I don't have Wampa and I'm wondering... do I need him?

Let's get this out of the way real quick, okay? I don't want him. I know you could spend paragraphs glorifying him because plenty of people just love the hairy old dude. But I am working on lots of other characters I'm excited about right now and I just couldn't care less about this weird minor character who - by the way - I think gets a bad rap being "Dark Side." The Wampa has no allegiance! He's just trying to survive on the mean streets of Hoth! I'll bet he'd be just as happy hanging Palpatine upside down for a snack as Luke if he had the chance. ...But that's neither here nor there.

The real question is: should I reasonably worry about needing him for Luke's next hero's journey? I'm hearing people say "yeah" but I think that's only b/c he and Luke share a pretty intimate scene there in the cave. LOL. To my knowledge, we've never needed an enemy character for a hero's journey, have we? Usually, characters require their ally characters, not their enemy characters, to proceed, amiright? So getting Hermit Yoda should probably have done the trick?

What's the word on the street and what are your thoughts? Remember: this isn't a 'convince me Wampa is rad!' post. I mean, go ahead if you can't stop yourself. But yeah.

Sam UX

I'd say probably not needed for jedi luke. But who knows. It would ne the first hero's journey to reqire a previous hero's journey so they could use that as an excuse and call it a new event type. But I find that unlikely.

I'm with you. I have hoda 7 starred and geared but haven't even unlocked wampa. He's good but so is the tons of gear in that store that I need to g12 so many good toons. So for now I've paseed on the wampa. I was considering him for a haat solo at one point but now there are much more obtainable characters for that. I'm going to get revan anyway and he can solo haat so I'll just get revan next time and skip wampa.
  • Options
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

Ha, I haven't worried about Phoenix or any other Rebel squad in a long time. Not convinced!
  • Options

Ha, I haven't worried about Phoenix or any other Rebel squad in a long time. Not convinced!

He's fun, that's my main reason for using him. I wish he fit in more comps so I could use him more.
  • Options

I haven't worried about Pheonix for a long time either. Several teams destroy them
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    +1 to the 'you want them, you just don't know it yet'

but to your point, no-one knows. They might follow precedent or Juke might be an entirely new type of event. I'd get him starred just in case.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    banjo1071 wrote: »
    Toons need gear, HAAT generates gear, and Wampa is a toon, that generates A LOT of ROI.
    You dont need him, thats true. But you want him badly (you just dont know it yet..)

I don't have Wampa but I can solo HAAT P3+P4 with AA(Lead), CLS, Thrawn, BB-8, and Young Han. I'm not in a rush to get Wampa because he doesn't really fill a need. Gear does :blush:
  • Shadowscream
    970 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    My Phoenix team is getting better by stealth - I maxed out Ezra and Kanan(now replaced) for my Jedi and Sabine because she’s so so useful in Raids.....that’s 3 out of 6 for other reasons.
    I’m tempted to do 2 more because they look stupid alongside G12 zeta characters 😉
  • Options
    I’d say it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the eventual release of Jedi Luke (and let’s face it, he probably will be the grand-daddy character of them all when he does arrive, and likely to stay relevant for as long as the game stays alive...)

But if you really don’t want to farm Wampa, then perhaps a reasonable middle of the road suggestion is this.

Hoard half (or a third, or a quarter... whatever floats your boat!) your earned Guild Event Tokens until you have a stockpile of 90k (starting at 0 shards, full unlock of Hermit Yoda or Wampa costs 89,100 GETs).

That way, with shops providing an opportunity to buy shards in increments of 5, 10, or 15, refreshing 4 times a day you ‘should’ be able to Average 40 shards a day (without spending crystals to refresh), allowing you to panic farm him in 8.25 days.

As long as they hold true to their previous method of a week notice for a new Legendary/Journey character plus a week long event, that gives you a window of over 5 days to complete the event (and you unlock on day 4, giving you most of 10 days to gear) once you max out his stars.

But it also gives you the flexibility to dip into the reserves a bit both while building them up and once you have it established if there is another character you ‘have’ to gear for another event, or to complete a raid team. But do that knowing you have to build it back up “just in case” Luke drops the next day.

It even gives you the flexibility to buy another shop exclusive character right out of the gate when/if we get a new version of TB’s...

(I personally have both of them farmed already, and am currently building a stockpile of tokens towards a 180k goal with about 75% of my GET income, so I can max out both a light and dark side toon from a new TB setup(s) should they occur)

• Options
    banjo1071 wrote: »

You can do a full solo with ackbar lead, bb8, cls, hoda and wampa
    Or just do 60/70% of p2+p3+p4 full auto
    https://swgoh.gg/u/fahrius/ - Discord - Fahrius#1194
  • Options
    I doubt wampa will be needed for Jedi Luke, however he's still a top 10 or 15 character in the game. Get him anyway!
  • Options
    Not necessary and probably wont be required for any content HOWEVER I would still prioritize him as he can solo the entire tank raid with the right team, Do exceptional damage in p2 of the heroic sith raid (which can assist in getting gear that youre looking for), and can carry a team on the dark side territory battle on all difficulties + platoon otherwise with the added benefit of kill garbage rebels that dont have the new chewbacca in territory wars. In better guilds he is honestly a staple for how helpful he can be in all forms of the game.
  • Options
    There are so many options the developers have with signature characters. They could make Jedi Knight Luke, then later bring out Jedi Master Luke which requires JKL plus Jedi Knight Rey, General Leia Organa, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, and Porg (notice none of those characters/variants are in the game yet, so $$).

I’d tend to agree that Jedi Knight Luke will probably not require Wampa, but there’s no way to be sure. Wampa is one of the best damage dealers in the game, though. So you don’t have to farm him, but you’ll probably find a use for him if you do.
  • Options
    Considering CLS is from Empire....I'm going to say probably not.
  • Vendi1983
    5024 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @EricsonX

What does that have to do with farming Wampa potentially for RotJ Luke?

If they did a LS/DS mix then you could very well have a massive Heroes Journey-type event that requires 5 LS toons and 5 DS toons:

LS
    CLS
    ROLO/Lando/C3P0
    Captain Han
    Chewie
    Hermit Yoda

DS
    Vader
    Emperor
    Wampa
    Veers
    IPD/Boba

Have the whole journey based off of Empire, much like unlocking CLS was based off of A New Hope.
  • Options
    ^

Good post
  • Options
    Have the whole journey based off of Empire, much like unlocking CLS was based off of A New Hope.

Basically this. If you really want RotJ Luke, farm every possible character, that way you're ready no matter what they do.
  • Options
    Wampa for rotj luke doesnt bother me its the gamorrean guard that freaks me out. If hes required....well...LOL
    Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
    https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
    Código aliado 192-195-873
    https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/
  • Options

Sam UX

Besides he could be a requirement for Jedi Luke I don´t bother. Never needed Wampa and never faced a situation where Wampa posed a problem to me. Most likely I will never unlock him. If they decide to make him a requirement somewhere I am screwed. But that´s ok, I am already on my way to SWGOH retiree.
  • Options
    Not just phonixes are rebels... OT chewie is a rebel too... I use him a lot in TW and raids. Love him. He is fun to play