Nobody is setting defense against me so far.

My experience with GA is that people aren't placing strong defenses. Everyone goes for the offensive banners. I don't know the logic behind that but I usually place both of my best squads on defense (Traya and CLS). I find it interesting that people will leave gear 8 and gear 9 squads on defense, I get that 6 squads may be alot for some people or I'm just missing something.

Replies

• Options
    Opposite for me, they’ve all set defense but none have attacked.
  • Options
    Some are just in it for the base rewards
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options

I've had 2 of the 3 attack and all set defenses. Think the 2nd single arena event was an auto defense set as they just went down his roster by 5s. His first 5 were his arena team so it looked good, but the rest were rather hodge podgey.

• Options

This is what I keep getting - strong defenses, but not even an attempt to hit me back. I like winning and all, but at least some element of competition would be cool too.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    PeteBajama wrote: »
    My experience with GA is that people aren't placing strong defenses. Everyone goes for the offensive banners. I don't know the logic behind that but I usually place both of my best squads on defense (Traya and CLS). I find it interesting that people will leave gear 8 and gear 9 squads on defense, I get that 6 squads may be alot for some people or I'm just missing something.

That's the way I've played the ga so far. I put up one solid squad and 5 junky(70 to 80k) yet synergistic squads like jawas, clones, ewoks, rogue one etc. I'm not a competitive person and I don't really mind if I win or lose. Just that I get some free rewards. I just look at this way, I need a total of 12 squads of chars and 2 fleets. I would rather get 100k per win and a chance to win and progress towards those quests than get zero k and either a complete wipe or stalemate and zero progress towards quests due to having nothing for offense. Plus at least I'm setting defenses so that my opponent has their chance to do the same. Its a win win.
    My stats so far using this play style is I won by highest gp and or due to the bug on the 1st. Not entirely sure lol. Won the 2nd by 70 or 80 something points. And won the 1st round of the current ga. Probably won't win this round though. They had a traya and revan in the front rows. Got past the traya and the ships behind it but can't do anything with the revan. Is what it is. Have fun and game on.
    Oh, I don't have traya or revan either. Haven't built up a squad to beat revan at this point. That's my next item on the to do list
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    I'm in whatever bracket 2.1 mil GP is in. 5 teams.
    I've been fielding 2 decent teams and 3 crap teams of defense, leaving me with 3 good offense teams, Imp troopers that I never really finished at g9/10 w/out full omegas or mods (good at taking out a crap team without losing protection), and hoping that leftover toons can take one of their toons easily, with Wampa being the star of the show.

I've gone against similarly bad defenses, with my foes leaving plenty for offense.
    Last round, we both cleared each others boards, and I won by just 9 points, thanks to just using Wampa and Storm Han against their Pheonix defense (but, I foolishly used Palp's laugh at a bad time near the end of an offensive battle where I brought my EP team. Cost me a few extra points.

This round, I've cleared the opponents defense with a slightly better performance than how I did last round. With 12 hours left my opponent has cleared the top section, but hasn't finished the bottom, where better teams lay. I'll be watching to see if he gets any further, but I know I've won this round because it took 2 teams to take down my crappy 61k pheonix team, and his first attempt to take down my 87k BH failed. I don't think it's possible for him to outscore me without those first win bonuses
  • Options
    Why set defense at all? If your opponent can't attack you then you're pretty much guaranteed to get first place. I think it's a major flaw that should be corrected, but it worked for me.
  • Options
    RebelLion wrote: »
    Why set defense at all? If your opponent can't attack you then you're pretty much guaranteed to get first place. I think it's a major flaw that should be corrected, but it worked for me.

.......No it didn't. Stop lying. It's mathematically impossible to win if you don't set any defense.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Commander_Wolffe
    211 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

.......No it didn't. Stop lying. It's mathematically impossible to win if you don't set any defense.

It was possible in round 1, because of a bug with the auto-defense code. It shouldn't be possible now.

I almost lost to someone who didn't deploy defenses in round 1. I had to submit a bug report to EA to correct the issue. Many people didn't know how to submit a bug report or thought the banners would update at the end of the round, but it never gave the banners for the empty/no defense sections.

There's thousands of posts related to this in the bug thread. There's dozens of people (like me) who had this fixed by EA just in time before the round ended. There's thousands of people who didn't get their games fixed and lost vs an opponent with no defenses.
  • Options
    I’m not gonna lie I haven’t had someone attack back yet.. and I love it lol, if I get 1st I’m cool with it
  • PoD
    67 posts Member
    Options
    I can understand why this happens. I’ve repeatedly been in GA with opponents I have no chance to beat. So I’ve tried all combinations of all offense, all defense, etc., none of it matters. I’ve also tried to attack and can’t even touch some of the teams, which might look to my oppponent like I haven’t attacked.

If this uneven matchmaking continues, I’ll just join for the rewards but not bother to try. I’m sure others are doing the same.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    PoD wrote: »
    I’ve also tried to attack and can’t even touch some of the teams, which might look to my oppponent like I haven’t attacked.

You can see how many attempts were made against your teams.
  • Options
    Could it be that people don't like, or are exploiting, or protesting against a terribly implemented game mode, hmm?
  • Options
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    Could it be that people don't like, or are exploiting, or protesting against a terribly implemented game mode, hmm?

Could be. There are an awful lot of poopy-diaper people out there.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    My opponents usually put their best teams in defense, but then they dont have enough good teams left to kill my defense. The good thing is that for every team there is a counter, so while having a strong defense Im still able to beat my opponents Traya, JTR, CLS, FO, NS etc teams.
  • Options
    This round I’m in 6 squads and a fleet, round one we actually battled, he couldn’t clear all my squads, I wen through him, win for me..round 2, he had a slightly higher gp than me, so I cut my defense slightly and kept more for offense, cleared him but he didn’t attack me at all.. weird..
    This round, me and the other person with 2 wins are against each other, so might be worthwhile..
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Some are just in it for the base rewards

As soon as I fulfill the Grand Arena quests I'll join that group. The quest rewards are too good to pass up.
  • Options
    Lucky you. I've been matched in a real tricky 8. It's all luck of the draw. I've had guildmates with higher GP than me, but who I could smoke in a straight up match, just breeze through this round like it was nothing. Others have been getting creamed.
  • Options
    Both my main and alt are matched against 7 players all with higher gp than me. All place defenses, not all bother to attack.

U posted about resource management in another thread. Well, this is where u have to manage your resources and strategize. Opponent has a crap fleet compared to you? Place your strongest fleet on D and weaker synergistic teams in front. Meanwhile block off your bottom lane. Opponent is generally better than u in all aspects? Give him crappy synergistic teams all round and then save everything for attack.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »

It was possible in round 1, because of a bug with the auto-defense code. It shouldn't be possible now.

I almost lost to someone who didn't deploy defenses in round 1. I had to submit a bug report to EA to correct the issue. Many people didn't know how to submit a bug report or thought the banners would update at the end of the round, but it never gave the banners for the empty/no defense sections.

There's thousands of posts related to this in the bug thread. There's dozens of people (like me) who had this fixed by EA just in time before the round ended. There's thousands of people who didn't get their games fixed and lost vs an opponent with no defenses.

Ah. That would explain it. I have missed the last couple but assumed it still worked. Glad they fixed it.
  • Options
    I've been putting in solid B teams that you have to know how to win going in, e.g. Qi'ra led scoundrel team, either NS or BH with Nest etc... I basically go in expecting them to set their top defense teams so I can still take out Revan, Traya etc with no issue while their B teams might have trouble clearing mine...
  • Options
    I don’t have enough teams to put on defense even lost because I didn’t have enough for offense once. Threw trash on defense alll zones gone for the win don’t need to check if they attacked lol.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    PeteBajama wrote: »

If I'm guarenteed to lose anything than dropping my 30 weakest toons on defense and going for as many credits as I can is suboptimal play...

If you have no chance to win the best you can do is get the 4-700kcredits lose the tiebreaker rinse repeat..

It's the most EV play (assuming you KNOW you lost) if there is even a slight chance to win....probably +EV going for the win long term
  • Options
    I noticed that people were going in the opposite direction with me, weak attacks and strong defense.

Since I built defense focused squads for Territory War I dropped FO in the front line and cut through their defenses with 10k less power squads with good synergy.