Old characters aren't becoming any easier to farm!

I can't say I've had experience with similar games because that's all I've played for 2.5 years but I would assume that after so many years some characters would become easier to obtain.

Some characters have been in the game for a very long time but they are still only available at their original locations. From time to time there have been events that give RANDOM shards of a certain faction which are totally random and unreliable so I wouldn't even consider them a thing. Getting 20 random shards of an entire faction a month wouldn't be a reliable way to farm baze or Chirrut so please don't attempt to use this as a counter argument.

I don't see any point in forcing players to choose between going after legendary characters or farming Baze and Shoretrooper. With so many hard nodes dedicated to legendary characters it makes it truly impossible to dedicate the resources for some of these characters without putting yourself into a competitive disadvantage.

Hard node farms take months to complete, it makes sense to encourage spending for new characters, but once they get old and newer characters come in, there's really no point to keep them there unless they are required for legendary events.

Replies

• Options
    You got to pay for that. Buying those packs in the store if you want to catch up to those that have put in years of work building their rosters.
  • Options
    The power creep of new characters makes the older ones almost worthless. I think it is the whole reason all these new events that need so many teams and GP have arrived. Why is Anakin, the most powerful Jedi ever, so worthless? Why are so many older Jedi worthless? Separatists? Tuskans? Jawa? Genosians? Ugnaught? Lobot? Gamorrean Guard?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    The power creep of new characters makes the older ones almost worthless. I think it is the whole reason all these new events that need so many teams and GP have arrived. Why is Anakin, the most powerful Jedi ever, so worthless? Why are so many older Jedi worthless? Separatists? Tuskans? Jawa? Genosians? Ugnaught? Lobot? Gamorrean Guard?

Don't forget CUP!
  • Options

If they are worthless then they aren't worthy of how difficult it is to farm them. I would argue that some of these characters are actually useful with GA nowadays. Chaze can still be a top tier defense squad for TW/GA.
  • Options
    PeteBajama wrote: »

If they are worthless then they aren't worthy of how difficult it is to farm them. I would argue that some of these characters are actually useful with GA nowadays. Chaze can still be a top tier defense squad for TW/GA.

I found use for characters I thought were obsolete in GA (specially 3v3), so now not all characters are outdated as they once were
  • Options

I found use for characters I thought were obsolete in GA (specially 3v3), so now not all characters are outdated as they once were

Hiding a squad of G11 poggle with G12 Sun Fac and G12 GS in the back row has held a few times for me.

Without a dispel you would hate to be trying to take down Sun Fac
  • Options

Some characters are still very useful even though they are old, my argument is relative to the investment that a player needs to make in order to get them. Baze once used to be arena meta, now he's just a solid tank for GA and TW but not really as useful as he once was. For a player to commit on a single hard node to get Baze is far more difficult than it once was because there will always be some other choice. Whether they are farming bounty Hunters which are more useful, Zalbar, Jolee, Bastila for Revan, Rey, Finn, for RJT, or any other character who's newer and better.

It's not like Baze is weaker than before, it's just that he's far less relevant, people in the future who start the game or start a new account, will most likely never be able to use Baze which is sad
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The power creep of new characters makes the older ones almost worthless.

That's the result when you keep releasing ridiculously overpowered characters, to beat the former overpowered meta easily.
    When you have Revan you can simply auto against Traya. What are they gonna release next to crush those Revans? And it has to be completely overwhelming, because otherwhise people wouldn't pay tons of money for it anymore.

So it's the nature of the game that older toons become more and more "useless". Nobody cries about Scav. Rey, Dooku or Chaze anymore.
  • Options
    I disagree as a ftp player with making the characters an easier farm on the basis of why should yoi be entitled to an easier farm just becuase your a newer player, no character is useless at all, they still have a use somewhere and can be quite formidable especially now with grand arena.

The way this game works and its something you will have to accept is that you have to pay for progress.

Plus a hard node is an easier farm when using your example of Baze, when he came out I had to save up crystals and buy him out of the shop fof 150 crystals for 3 shards.

Making farms easier will be a slap in the face for veteran players like me who have been playing for 3 years.
  • Options
    In fact, many old characters ARE easier to farm - 8 vs 3 hard node attempts alone is the huge boost (which may be not enough to actually farm it but still... ). And there is the simple solution which devs already implementing sometimes - putting new shiny characters on the same node as old ones. Which, of course, immediately becomes another source of complains - "We old players put insane amount of time and resources to get this toons and new players get it for free!". :)
  • Options
    Hortus wrote: »
    In fact, many old characters ARE easier to farm - 8 vs 3 hard node attempts alone is the huge boost (which may be not enough to actually farm it but still... ). And there is the simple solution which devs already implementing sometimes - putting new shiny characters on the same node as old ones. Which, of course, immediately becomes another source of complains - "We old players put insane amount of time and resources to get this toons and new players get it for free!". :)

Spot on :-)
  • Options

Not all are useless. Geos are solid ships. Seps are bound to get reworked sometime this year. Tuskens and Jawas are fun. Ugnaught can be used in an assault battle. Gam Guard has potential in a DoT Vader team. **** Lobot, he is useless.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Options

Not all are useless. Geos are solid ships. Seps are bound to get reworked sometime this year. Tuskens and Jawas are fun. Ugnaught can be used in an assault battle. Gam Guard has potential in a DoT Vader team. **** Lobot, he is useless.

Wait till ur guild needs 20 7* lobots for TB PM.

But well they kinda killed that requirement by introducing so many marquees that PMs are impossible to fill now.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

I don't see any point in forcing players to choose between going after legendary characters or farming Baze and Shoretrooper.

I see the point in that. Whomever worked for them or bought them or will buy them should have the advantage of doing so and that shouldn't be annuled all of a sudden. As you said they are not even that good anymore.

This is from my bench, secondary farming after Holdo currently.

m04o7t6sqx9e.png

• Options
    I think the thing is that, no matter what, we can farm characters faster than they can make them. So at some point you *should* end up having the time and resources to get to even Lobot. When I look at my roster, I have 26 toons not at 7* - and that includes Traya, 3po, Wampa, Chewy and Revan - characters that can’t be farmed anyway. Without node refreshes, I farm 5 hard node characters, 1 cantina character and 2 fleet node characters. And if you’re new, the cantina farms get you currency for the cantina store and on and on. It depends I guess on how long you want to play for.

(Sorry - full disclosure: I use 250 crystals daily for my farms - 200 or better in arena & 20 or better for fleet)
  • Options
    Buddy wrote: »
    I think the thing is that, no matter what, we can farm characters faster than they can make them. So at some point you *should* end up having the time and resources to get to even Lobot. When I look at my roster, I have 26 toons not at 7* - and that includes Traya, 3po, Wampa, Chewy and Revan - characters that can’t be farmed anyway. Without node refreshes, I farm 5 hard node characters, 1 cantina character and 2 fleet node characters. And if you’re new, the cantina farms get you currency for the cantina store and on and on. It depends I guess on how long you want to play for.

(Sorry - full disclosure: I use 250 crystals daily for my farms - 200 or better in arena & 20 or better for fleet)

Is that true though? I haven't done the math but it certainly feels like characters come out way faster than I could ever hope to complete hard node farms. Maybe if you did 3 refreshes and 3 energy refills every day? Even then it seems iffy.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

So you want characters that are useful to be easier to get?

That's the whole point it's all about choices. Yes even old toons have a level of usefulness and therefore still have a choice involved.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

Is that true though? I haven't done the math but it certainly feels like characters come out way faster than I could ever hope to complete hard node farms. Maybe if you did 3 refreshes and 3 energy refills every day? Even then it seems iffy.

It's true for me, would certainly not be true for all. Currently I'm in that in between legs zone, ready for Revan, done Chewie and the junk robot. Farming ships for a possible leg ship and holdo/baze with the extra. I don't refill ship map right now as there's nothing to get there besides Sith Fighter which can be gotten with the freebies.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

I hope so. I recognize I’m being anecdotal. Today is dec. 25, so in the last 3 months, according to SWGOH events, there were 4 characters and 1 ship released. I was here for the marquees, so that leaves 1400 (280 x 5) shards. At 30% drop, I’m going for 3x 12 hard, 2x 20 hard, 1x 16 hard, 1x 16 cantina, 1x 16 & 1x 20 fleet.

8x 8 attempts x 30% = 19
    1x 10 attempts (cantina) x 30% = 3

22 x 90 days = 1980 shards

On top of that are the shards I’m getting of Wampa from TB, and from time to time I’ll pick up some character shards from the guild store. I’ve been playing since just before ships launched (I hit level 65 I think just as ships became available - that was the level requirement at the time right?) so I don’t have access to cantina, arena, fleet arena or GW store anymore. Lastly, never underestimate the value of bronziums. I’ve gone start to finish on something like 10 characters just off of free shards
  • Options

Wait till ur guild needs 20 7* lobots for TB PM.

But well they kinda killed that requirement by introducing so many marquees that PMs are impossible to fill now.

My guild doesn't even have enough Fistos and Securas, both of which are more useful than Lobot.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • JuliusSkywalker
    509 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Imo, the old (unnecessary) characters should have a new offer to buy them without/less probability for farm them. Examples are:
    - Kit Fisto
    - Aayla Secura
    - Jedi Knight Guardian
    - Bistan
    - Scarif Rebel Pathfinder
    - Bodhi Rook
    - Pao
    - Canderous Ordo
    - Carth Onasi
    - Clone Troopers
    - Jawas
    - Tuskens
    - Coruscant Underworld Police
    - Darth Sidious
    - Eeth Koth
    - Ewok Scout
    - Gamorrean Guard
    - Geonosians
    - Ugnaught
    - Lobot
    - IG-100 MagnaGuard
    - IG-86 Sentinel Droid
    - Ima-Gun Di
    - Imperial Super Commando
    - Gar Saxon
    - Juhani (not old, but maybe less use)
    - Nightsister Spirit
    - Nute Gunray
    - Plo Koon
    - Range Trooper (not old, but maybe less use)
    - Magma Trooper
    - Stormtrooper

They are useful for Territory Wars, Galactic War or Grand Arena but needn't to be use for everything. And I also welcome to see (useful) new characters.

And here are some character ideas (unnecessary too):
    list
    Post edited by JuliusSkywalker on
  • Options
    Imo, the old (unnecessary) characters should have a new offer to buy them without/less probability for farm them. Examples are:
    - Kit Fisto
    - Aayla Secura
    - Jedi Knight Guardian
    - Barriss Offee
    - Bistan
    - Scarif Rebel Pathfinder
    - Bodhi Rook
    - Pao
    - Canderous Ordo
    - Carth Onasi
    - Clone troopers
    - Jawas
    - Tuskens
    - Coruscant Underworld Police
    - Darth Sidious
    - Eeth Koth
    - Ewok Scout
    - Gamorrean Guard
    - Geonosians
    - Ugnaught
    - Lobot
    - IG-100 MagnaGuard
    - IG-86 Sentinel Droid
    - Ima-Gun Di
    - Imperial Super Commando
    - Gar Saxon
    - Juhani
    - Nightsister Spirit
    - Nute Gunray
    - Plo Koon
    - Range Trooper
    - Magma Trooper
    - Stormtrooper

They are useful for Territory Wars, Galactic War or Grand Arena but needn't to be use for everything. And I also welcome to see (useful) new characters.

And here are some character ideas (unnecessary too):
    list

Did you just list everything you don't have at 7 star? You listed several new characters which hardly fall under 'old'. You have a bunch of useful alternate characters in there as well...
  • JuliusSkywalker
    509 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @DuneFlint I got all these characters at 7 star except all Geonosians, Gamorrean Guard and the new characters (like Juhani).

Darth Sidious is useful to battle against some Jedi but not really use of all battles above 10 percent.

I mentioned that my list also includes alternate characters as well.
  • Options
    @DuneFlint Juhani isn't 'old' but she could be less used than other new characters.

If you want to read some old characters as instruction, look here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-OLMkPNv8E
  • Options
    Of the characters you listed, some of them are great, in the Right team, Range Trooper is amazing in a trooper line up, Canderous works well under Carth, and Juhani has potential under Revan. Magma Trooper is a reliable counter to Traya, under Thrawn.and Aayla, at least appears to be, an amazing Jedi, that just isn't used as often as she should be.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    I've lost track of the point of this thread.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    I've lost track of the point of this thread.

It's more like curved spacetime.