Unequal matching

Also, I’m not equally matched in my grand arena shard. All my opponents have 50-100 thousand more galactic power in charachter points. I have 100 thousand more fleet points, but we aren’t playing fleet are we? Despite this, I’ve done well, but shards should be created on character points, not overall points, unless we will play fleet battles.

Replies

• Options
    Unless you're at an extremely low gp 100k isn't much difference
  • Options
    I am 1.3 million. So yeah, it’s a lot. It’s 5 gear 12 guys. When you are playing 3:3 it’s significant.
  • Options
    About a third of my GP is ships, but it looks like I'm going to win my whole bracket in this event. First opponent didn't set any defense, second was only able to conquer one territory whereas I cleaned out all of his. I've cleared all 4 territories on my final opponent and am waiting for him to play, but based on what he put on D I seriously doubt he can clean me out.

Point is, just do the best you can. You might be surprised.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    I already know I lost. By 11 banners. My opponent has a lot more geared up characters. I’m only slightly heavier in characters than in ships. I know I did well. Strategically speaking, to come in second with a bunch of people who have much stronger characters is good, but it’s not very good odds. I lost to a guy who has 800 thousand in characters to my 700. Doesn’t seem evenly matched is all.
  • Options
    GIBunnys wrote: »
    I am 1.3 million. So yeah, it’s a lot. It’s 5 gear 12 guys. When you are playing 3:3 it’s significant.

or like 10 g9 characters. GP means nothing. It is not like just because some1 have a 100k GP advantage in characters over you that you are sure to lose. Also it was your choice to invest in ships, it was their choice to invest in characters. Did you feel it was unfair in last round when ships were around and you had more GP in ships then your opponent?
  • Options
    It is unlikely that they have all that gp put into more g12. Some might but some will just have more fluff that is useless.

Also my first two opponents had 20 more g12 than I did. I still won the first one because I had better mods and set a strong line that stopped then. And I won the 2nd because my opponent set the best teams on defense but didn't fill the front giving me a banner advantage. Basically bad strategy.

So while they may have more gp or even g12, you may have some advantages too.
  • KKatarn
    629 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I defeated a opponent who had more than twice my number of G12 characters, you just need to learn how to use combinations of your characters. ;)
  • Options
    I already know I lost. By 11 banners. My opponent has a lot more geared up characters. I’m only slightly heavier in characters than in ships. I know I did well. Strategically speaking, to come in second with a bunch of people who have much stronger characters is good, but it’s not very good odds. I lost to a guy who has 800 thousand in characters to my 700. Doesn’t seem evenly matched is all.

If it came down to 11 banners seems like it was competitive to me
  • Options
    I came in second place by 11 banners. I did well, I’m just saying that if they want to equally match people and are only doing squad battles, then evenly match character points.
  • Options
    But 10g9 character is samw gp as 5g12 characters so theoretically you could have 2 people with same char gp but it wouldnt be a fair match. Just because in one GA someone have GP advantage doesnt mean they will win for sure.
  • Options
    No it doesn’t, but what is the point of evenly matching points if we aren’t even using our fleet? If we have the same character points and I have distributed my points differently so be it, or let me use my better fleet to gain an advantage, but pitting me against a bunch of people whether they have way more gear 12 players or way more gear 9 players doesn’t seem to be equitable. If we are only playing character combat then those are the only points that should count. But you are winning, so it doesn’t affect you. And I lost by 8 banners, not 11. With 100,000 more points on my characters, I may have been able to hem in 8 more points. I only lost one guy. May the odds be ever in your favor.
  • Options

or like 10 g9 characters. GP means nothing. It is not like just because some1 have a 100k GP advantage in characters over you that you are sure to lose. Also it was your choice to invest in ships, it was their choice to invest in characters. Did you feel it was unfair in last round when ships were around and you had more GP in ships then your opponent?

No it was not unfair because i could use my ships while he can use his toons. Here, i cant use my ships. Clearly u dont see the logic.

Its like telling someone hey! U're in division A for running and division C for swimming, but we're taking an average and for this competition u will be in division B for swimming. Whereas in the former case, it is akin to being placed in division B for a biathalon with BOTH running and swimming events, which makes sense since u get to do both rather than just one.
  • Options
    Some of the ga matches include ships. I'm assuming the reason they just include total gp instead of separating it is necause that is much easier than changing the algorithm for match making every time just because they put some variety in the event.

We haven't seen a repeating cycle for ga yet so there may be one that weights ships pretty heavily in the future. It is hard to do with only 4 capital ships. The most they could do is 4 fleets total. And you'd have to trim down the reinforcements to make enough ships for that.

But in the end it may all balance out.
  • Options
    If the Grand Arena is evenly matched, then you should see more close scores among similar interest players. So in the 3rd round, when everyone is matched against a player with the same win-loss record, are you seeing blowouts or close games? In my guild, we are seeing a lot of 3rd round matches decided by 20 banners or less. I lost both my 3rd round battles from last GA and this one by a combined total of 10 banners (lost by 2 banners last time; lost by 8 this time). Results that close speak to good balancing.
  • Options
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    If the Grand Arena is evenly matched, then you should see more close scores among similar interest players. So in the 3rd round, when everyone is matched against a player with the same win-loss record, are you seeing blowouts or close games? In my guild, we are seeing a lot of 3rd round matches decided by 20 banners or less. I lost both my 3rd round battles from last GA and this one by a combined total of 10 banners (lost by 2 banners last time; lost by 8 this time). Results that close speak to good balancing.

That depends some on the rng of the matching in the first round. Out of the 8 players I had the 3rd best roster. I faced the two above me in the first 2 rounds and won. My opponent had easier matches in the 1st two rounds amd won. My roster is superior to his and I cleared his whole defense because I know how to use my roster.

So there is rng involved in the order you face the tough opponents. But you'll likely have to beat the toughest opponents if you want 1st place.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If GA matchmaking was working well we wouldn't see a 30% difference in usable GP between matched opponents.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    If GA matchmaking was working well we wouldn't see a 30% difference in usable GP between matched opponents.

I have yet to see an example of 30% difference in character gp. I'll concede that a 30% mismatch is possible but it would be extremely rare. If that high of a mismatch was frequent, there would be numerous examples posted.
  • Options

I have yet to see an example of 30% difference in character gp. I'll concede that a 30% mismatch is possible but it would be extremely rare. If that high of a mismatch was frequent, there would be numerous examples posted.
    My last match was approx 700k vs 900k usable GP. My worst possible matchup in this bracket was 32% difference. Almost 1/3 more GP for my opponent to work with.

When there is a fleet zone I am still at a disadvantage but I can at least leverage my strategic dominance in those zones to give me a reasonable shot at victory.

There is a steady stream of complaint threads popping up, as people realize that there is a problem here, even if they don't always understand what the cause is at first.

The solution is simple: exclude fleet GP if there are no fleet zones (and exclude squad GP if we ever have a fleet-only GA).
  • Options

My last match was approx 700k vs 900k usable GP. My worst possible matchup in this bracket was 32% difference. Almost 1/3 more GP for my opponent to work with.

When there is a fleet zone I am still at a disadvantage but I can at least leverage my strategic dominance in those zones to give me a reasonable shot at victory.

There is a steady stream of complaint threads popping up, as people realize that there is a problem here, even if they don't always understand what the cause is at first.

The solution is simple: exclude fleet GP if there are no fleet zones (and exclude squad GP if we ever have a fleet-only GA).

The same 5 people complaining on multiple threads don't prove anything. People complain no matter what the devs do.

You are right that they could change it. I'm simply pointing out tbat they are unlikely to do so if it's only a small fraction that is mismatched.

And since time spent improving the game is finite, fixing what isn't broken wastes time that could be spent on new content or qol updates.
  • Options

Usable gp? You people forget that this game is all about developing. If I invested in my roster being wide I would dominate TB but if i invested in meta teams i would dominate TW Arena GA etc. You could argue is it fair but we all know characters are much better investment overall. You are complaining that you invested in Cup Mob enforcer and GG and have them maxed out and they sucks in ga (this is metaphore)
  • Options

Usable gp? You people forget that this game is all about developing. If I invested in my roster being wide I would dominate TB but if i invested in meta teams i would dominate TW Arena GA etc. You could argue is it fair but we all know characters are much better investment overall. You are complaining that you invested in Cup Mob enforcer and GG and have them maxed out and they sucks in ga (this is metaphore)

But if you put cup, mob enforcer. And gg all in the same team it unlocks a secret cheat code that clears the opponent's territory.

Sorry had to do that. But I completely agree with your point. All the whiners don't want to take responsibility for the roster choices they made.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Again with the whales. You don't need to spend money to do well in GA.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • DarkHelmet1138
    3884 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The only obvious whale I faced I beat. And I'm 100% ftp. I I can't say fir sure he spent money though having revan is a good indicator.

But technically it is possible to hoard crystals and get revan ftp so even this isn't 100%. And after revan, I bet this becomes more common. I know I'm saving crystals for the next game changer that comes out. If I save enough and get them, I'll probably be called a whale by those that don't build good rosters. After all, I have chewie and 3PO the first time.

But it is 100% possible to compete ftp. I haven't spent a cent on this game and have won every ga match I've had.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Options

I had a limited amount of usable GP because there were no fleet zones in that GA, nothing to do with squad roster management.

Try actually reading the context next time.
  • Options

The same 5 people complaining on multiple threads don't prove anything. People complain no matter what the devs do.

You are right that they could change it. I'm simply pointing out tbat they are unlikely to do so if it's only a small fraction that is mismatched.

And since time spent improving the game is finite, fixing what isn't broken wastes time that could be spent on new content or qol updates.
    The same 5 people protesting that it is fair despite all evidence to the contrary doesn't prove anything. See how that works?

And there are multiple threads in here, more in the Feedback/Arena sub-forum and multiple comments on the mega thread in General.

As for your sughestion that it only affected "a small fraction", I refer you to the data I posted in the other thread - https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/191104/ga-like-nonsense-do-something#latest

Total GP spread used for matchmaking was 1,500 GP (0.001%) but without fleet zones the actual usable GP spread was up to 223k GP (32%)

% squad GP difference for the 56 potential matches in my bracket:
    > 30%: 2
    25-30%: 4
    20-25%: 2
    15-20%: 14
    10-15%: 10
    5-10%: 14
    < 5%: 10
  • Options

The same 5 people protesting that it is fair despite all evidence to the contrary doesn't prove anything. See how that works?

And there are multiple threads in here, more in the Feedback/Arena sub-forum and multiple comments on the mega thread in General.

As for your sughestion that it only affected "a small fraction", I refer you to the data I posted in the other thread - https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/191104/ga-like-nonsense-do-something#latest

Total GP spread used for matchmaking was 1,500 GP (0.001%) but without fleet zones the actual usable GP spread was up to 223k GP (32%)

% squad GP difference for the 56 potential matches in my bracket:
    > 30%: 2
    25-30%: 4
    20-25%: 2
    15-20%: 14
    10-15%: 10
    5-10%: 14
    < 5%: 10

The fact that the total gp spread is really close only proves that you were matched based on total gp. No one is denying that. It doesn't prove that you can't win because you have more of it in ships. It doesn't prove that more than a small fraction of the player base had a wide character gp gap. In fact it proves nothing except they used total gp in matchmaking which they already told us.

And only one of the ga has not used ships (excluding the exhibition) so it seems in most of them you use ships so total gp makes more sense than just chatacter gp.

Who knows we may get an only ships one where you have a 32% advantage.

You can always find one stat that will likely be different by a significant margin between two rosters if you use any other one stat to match. For example, if they used character gp as you suggested, total gp and ship gp could vary greatly. So could # of g12, quality of mods, and # of useless toons geared up. All of these affect the match and they all vary. I've seen # of g12 be double.

And yes, they could use a multiple factor system to try and match you to an equal roster but that creates a whole host of other issues. A few off the top of my head:
    Being unable to find matches for some, giving players no incentive to improve their rosters since they will just be matched to a harder roster, and the increased probability of bugs the more complicated the matching algorithm gets.

Most likely they decided tgat a single factor was better due to the issues above. And changing the factor doesn't solve anything but to create a different group of winners and losers.

Long term it isn't hard to know what stats help your chances and what hurts yiur chances. So it is better to spend the effort to improve your roster rather than trying to get the devs to change the rules so you are more competitive.