Please fix the grand arena rewards

2Next

Replies

• TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Sweetheart is my new favorite insult. I hope it doesn't get nerfed here.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    By the end of it I was 60-70k higher than them all. There’s several ways to break a tie. Make us do a 6v6, even tho this is the easiest way they’ll probably add some complicated way to fix it. I know the 2-4th rank rewards are the same but I beat them and had I fought any of the other I probably would’ve beat them too. It just annoys me that we tied. So I lost a zeta and stun guns.

You didn't tie in the last round, you lost in the last round. You lost the zeta and extra stun gun salvage because you lost the match. Sure, by the end you were 60k-70k higher than the other people in your pod, but none of that matters because the snapshot is taken at the start of the event. The 60k-70k improvements you made to your roster didn't get to be used in rounds two or three, so why should they count for tiebreakers?

As for being 4th, you should be glad. That means at least two other players had higher GPs than you and you did just as well as they did, maybe you even beat them in one of the first two rounds. Everyone says that GP is the only thing that matters, so if you're beating people who are rated higher than you, you're doing well. If you're just mad that the number next to your name is 4 instead of 2, then who cares? Tell me the name of one person from your last GA other than you. No one cares where other people finish, so no one's going to look at you and say "FOURTH place? HAHAHA WHAT A NERD!" 2-4 is all arbitrary. 5-7 is arbitrary.

Hell, I wish instead of showing a ranking, they just showed four prize brackets and the names listed alphabetically. But, then, people's egos would be hurt that they don't get to say "I was top of my bracket."

Sweetheart. We were tied 2-0 before the start. Everyone else was 1-1. And yes I did beat one them higher than me. But if there was a better way to fix a banner tie rather than GP. Had I won I would’ve got first place so I would’ve got the 3-0 and first place. But due to the crappy GP tie breaker. I don’t think that’s fair either. I mean we tied. We’re either both winners or both losers. I think we either should’ve had a tie breaker fight with our full teams or just both got first. I lost on the first place rewards is why I’m upset. Idc about 4th place it’s the same rewards ad 2nd place. Please read further down before you make a comment please.

Ok..... So now you know what determines a tie breaker and you can use that to pick a better defence setup....

The only reason for ties in the GA format is either two people do nothing at all, or both set weak defences that get wiped first shot with no protection loss....
  • Options
    I don't think the higher GP or lower GP should win or lose based on their GP. That's the point. There are a number of possible ways to settle banner tiebreaks that don't involve GP.

If there was no possible way to break the tie without using something as random as GP, I would understand. But GA offers multiple simple ways to break ties using data from each match.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    HowieWan wrote: »
    I don't think the higher GP or lower GP should win or lose based on their GP. That's the point. There are a number of possible ways to settle banner tiebreaks that don't involve GP.

If there was no possible way to break the tie without using something as random as GP, I would understand. But GA offers multiple simple ways to break ties using data from each match.

I wanna see the data on number of ties. It has to be waaaaaaay under 1%.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I would agree it's extremely rare, certainly under 1%. There are still better ways to break those rare ties.
  • Options
    Sweetheart. We were tied 2-0 before the start. Everyone else was 1-1. And yes I did beat one them higher than me. But if there was a better way to fix a banner tie rather than GP. Had I won I would’ve got first place so I would’ve got the 3-0 and first place. But due to the crappy GP tie breaker. I don’t think that’s fair either. I mean we tied. We’re either both winners or both losers. I think we either should’ve had a tie breaker fight with our full teams or just both got first. I lost on the first place rewards is why I’m upset. Idc about 4th place it’s the same rewards ad 2nd place. Please read further down before you make a comment please.
    Sweetheart? Don't condescend to me, I'm a 36 year old American male, we invented condescension...

You keep saying "Had I won, I'd have been 1st" and it's like, yeah, no duh. We know that. Your problem is that you didn't win and you want to invent a way that you would have won. And I understand that because the other thing 36 year old American males invented is a sense of entitlement. You didn't both win or both lose because you tied--they won because there is a tiebreaker protocol, and you lost because there is a tiebreaker protocol.

We get it, you want to add another two days onto an already week-long event so that you can have a second chance at winning. That's not going to happen. There's a tie-breaker in place for this exact reason. You can argue the merits of that tiebreaker and try to offer up something else, but everything people come up with is equally problematic. Total banners means there will still be ties in the first round. Extra rounds take too long and doesn't solve the problem of what if they tie a second time. Splitting rewards means neither player gets as much as if they'd been in the second tier. Giving both 1st place rewards will lead to collusion. Lower GP overly-rewards people who have min-maxed their rosters and already have an advantage.

Offer up something more useful than "Change it so I would have won" or stop whining that you lost.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Here's a simple solution - the person who sets more GP on D wins the tie. Easy to measure, and it incentives setting better D, or at least higher GP on D (we all know higher GP isn't always better). In the rare occurrence of a banner tie, this would be more fair than the higher overall GP winning.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here's a simple solution - the person who sets more GP on D wins the tie. Easy to measure, and it incentives setting better D, or at least higher GP on D (we all know higher GP isn't always better). In the rare occurrence of a banner tie, this would be more fair than the higher overall GP winning.

You're already incentivised to put your best defense down or else you're not getting the tie in the first place--you just lose because they beat you with fewer casualties and more health and/or blank spots, and certainly on the first try more often. Plus, there's no way of checking how much GP someone's set, whereas total GP is public knowledge (albeit bugged at the moment, since the GP you see on their profile is live, not their snapshotted number) and fairly consistent. In other words, with total GP you know ahead of time if you're going to win the tiebreaker or not, whereas with GP only of defense it's going to be a mystery each time and can you imagine how angry people will be if they lose a tie without knowing they would ahead of time?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    At my GP level (3.4M) most players can't set all their top teams on D and still clear their opponent. So most people seem to put a couple great squads on D along with a couple mediocre squads. A tiebreak that rewarded more GP on D would be a strategic opportunity at my GP level and lower. At higher GP levels, it may not be as effective, but I think it would still be superior to using total GP.

No info on each individual GA match is public knowledge: defenses set, total banners, etc. There's no reason a tiebreak score needs to be public knowledge either.

Again, I'm not proposing this kind of tiebreak to decide places 2-4 at the end of a tournament; this would just be related to a tiebreak in an individual GA match.
  • Options
    Also, in the match where I tied my opponent after we were both 2-0, we both set pretty heavy D and were only able to clear 4 of the 6 squads on D. So it's certainly possible to tie without both people setting cheese D or colluding in some way.
  • Options
    Also, in the match where I tied my opponent after we were both 2-0, we both set pretty heavy D and were only able to clear 4 of the 6 squads on D. So it's certainly possible to tie without both people setting cheese D or colluding in some way.

We cleared all of each other’s boards. It was just annoying that I lost important resources because we tied.