Here's why i don't usually refresh arena

Qleak
420 posts Member
I usually don't do the 50 crystal refresh of arena, I decided to try it today people say it's generally worth it because you'll go up a tier making you back the crystals you spent. I received this message so many times and didn't even gain rank overall.

Screenshot_2016_03_09_11_19_51.png

Sure you can blame my squad composition (I'm working on it). But I don't think I can bring myself to spend crystals on something that I can be locked out of anymore.

Replies

• J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Options
    It stinks but I do it anyway and it pays off for me so that if I loose 50 crystals its no big deal.

• Qleak
    420 posts Member
    Options
    J7000 wrote: »
    It stinks but I do it anyway and it pays off for me so that if I loose 50 crystals its no big deal.

Thanks for the input :)

I realize refreshing works for many people. It just shouldn't be a uniform strategy that is suggested to everyone.

• Options
    you only want to do that if you are going to make it into the top 5. the payouts below 5 arent worth risking 50 crystals to potentially gain 50 to 100. You also have to make your move before the last 7 minutes as everyone is engaging and trying to lock out their spot.
  • Qleak
    420 posts Member
    Options
    you only want to do that if you are going to make it into the top 5. the payouts below 5 arent worth risking 50 crystals to potentially gain 50 to 100. You also have to make your move before the last 7 minutes as everyone is engaging and trying to lock out their spot.

+1
  • Yeehahpv
    113 posts Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more. If I take the top spot with less than 5 minutes left I will even use the immediate refresh to hold the spot until rewards are paid out. I know this may be considered uncouth, but when it comes down to it, it's a competition. If it costs me an extra 50 crystals to keep me from losing 50 to 200, I will absolutely do it. I figure if there were an in-game chat we would see a little less of this, as there would be some amount of camaraderie and etiquette.

If anything you are spending 50 crystals to double the amount of play for the most entertaining and challenging aspect the game currently has to offer.
  • Options
    I posed the suggestion to either Jesse or John that they have a warning when you try to refresh that states someone is already engaged with you. I'd say it happens to me about 50% of the time. My shard is highly active, especially those of us in the top 5, so it is quite frustrating to waste the crystals, even if it is only 50.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

This. For 95% of people, the refresh is pointless, as you might (at best) break even by moving up to the next tier (as most tiers only give a 50 crystal bump). The handful of extra credits and tokens aren't really worth the 50 crystal risk - unless, as stated by Widget, you are fighting for a top 5 spot, where the possible rewards outweigh the risk.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Yeehahpv wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. If I take the top spot with less than 5 minutes left I will even use the immediate refresh to hold the spot until rewards are paid out. I know this may be considered uncouth, but when it comes down to it, it's a competition. If it costs me an extra 50 crystals to keep me from losing 50 to 200, I will absolutely do it. I figure if there were an in-game chat we would see a little less of this, as there would be some amount of camaraderie and etiquette.

If anything you are spending 50 crystals to double the amount of play for the most entertaining and challenging aspect the game currently has to offer.

Its not uncouth. what is bothersome to me are the groups that team up to hold positions for each other in the top 10. I have the option to do that, but i consider this to be a one on one, every man for himself battle, and if you have 3 people locking you up for the last 15 minutes of the payout that isnt fair to the players that dont have "allys". So frank gets 1st on monday, we let Teddy have it on tuesday, Ralph gets wed... that isnt the way the game was intended to be played.
  • Options

Its not uncouth. what is bothersome to me are the groups that team up to hold positions for each other in the top 10. I have the option to do that, but i consider this to be a one on one, every man for himself battle, and if you have 3 people locking you up for the last 15 minutes of the payout that isnt fair to the players that dont have "allys". So frank gets 1st on monday, we let Teddy have it on tuesday, Ralph gets wed... that isnt the way the game was intended to be played.
    If some people realize that working together and coming to terms produces more bountiful rewards had they remain separate, then good for them. I'm impressed by the amount of trust they put in each other.
    Ally code: 323-282-152. Member of TNR. The New Rebellion
  • Yeehahpv
    113 posts Member
    Options

I completely agree that that sort of collusion should be discouraged and is completely unfair. Pre-arranging the top places and tying up the fights so no one can try and take another spot is pretty shady.

• Options

To each their own, but arena is neither entertaining or challenging to me. I used to compete for 1st-10th, but don't anymore as its not worth the credit risk and I am not always free at the giveaway time. So I'm happy to collect my 725 arena tokens for 50-100 and move on.

I have lost one arena battle on offense in the last month (I.e. not challenging) and for me having to log in every hour or so to run a battle is more frustrating and annoying than entertaining.

My only loss recently was to a QGL lead who won the coin toss against me. His QGJ took mine out with assist. My Dooku had his lightning deflected, His Dooku stunned two of my toons (Sid and HRS) game over. My first round was a deflected attack and a Lumi ability block. I didn't find it challenging or entertaining. And neither are the wins where I take out two of the enemy before they attack and finish with all five toons at close to max health against teams with 2,000 more power.

Like I said to each their own and I'm glad you enjoy arena, just not my cup of tea. And as I always state for arena discussion I'm not f2p so I don't need arena for crystals (and right now I'm saving them til the level cap gets raised anyways).
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Nerfherder17
    2094 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Omnirhyze wrote: »

If some people realize that working together and coming to terms produces more bountiful rewards had they remain separate, then good for them. I'm impressed by the amount of trust they put in each other.

working together? its not a team game. The same reason that your coach isnt allowed to make moves for you during a chess match.
  • Yeehahpv
    113 posts Member
    Options

To each their own, but arena is neither entertaining or challenging to me. I used to compete for 1st-10th, but don't anymore as its not worth the credit risk and I am not always free at the giveaway time. So I'm happy to collect my 725 arena tokens for 50-100 and move on.

I have lost one arena battle on offense in the last month (I.e. not challenging) and for me having to log in every hour or so to run a battle is more frustrating and annoying than entertaining.

My only loss recently was to a QGL lead who won the coin toss against me. His QGJ took mine out with assist. My Dooku had his lightning deflected, His Dooku stunned two of my toons (Sid and HRS) game over. My first round was a deflected attack and a Lumi ability block. I didn't find it challenging or entertaining. And neither are the wins where I take out two of the enemy before they attack and finish with all five toons at close to max health against teams with 2,000 more power.

Like I said to each their own and I'm glad you enjoy arena, just not my cup of tea. And as I always state for arena discussion I'm not f2p so I don't need arena for crystals (and right now I'm saving them til the level cap gets raised anyways).

I don't mean this question any way other than sincerely. What do you find the most entertaining part of the game?

I'm not F2P either and GW is pretty much a joke, especially with the update. Although, quick side note, I did draw 70 7* GL7 Phasma, 70 5* GL8 Dooku, 70 7* GL7 Sid, 70 7* GL8 Lumi, and 70 6* GL7 Kylo first node today.

I rarely if ever actually fight a LS/DS or Cantina battle and the only entertainment I get out of the challenges is seeing if I can complete them without taking a single point of damage.

So my most enjoyment of the game comes from the acquisition of character shards and gear, but for actual gameplay, Arena takes the cake.

• Options

I don't mean this question any way other than sincerely. What do you find the most entertaining part of the game?

I'm not F2P either and GW is pretty much a joke, especially with the update. Although, quick side note, I did draw 70 7* GL7 Phasma, 70 5* GL8 Dooku, 70 7* GL7 Sid, 70 7* GL8 Lumi, and 70 6* GL7 Kylo first node today.

I rarely if ever actually fight a LS/DS or Cantina battle and the only entertainment I get out of the challenges is seeing if I can complete them without taking a single point of damage.

So my most enjoyment of the game comes from the acquisition of character shards and gear, but for actual gameplay, Arena takes the cake.
    Things I enjoy in the game

Strategy in GW (some days for fun I will try the same early fight 10-12 times and retreat just before winning to test out different teams and toons, aside can we please get some kinda testing table for toons we have already unlocked).
    testing out new toons on LS/DS cantina (I try and sim as little as possible right now)
    Getting shards to get my toons better
    Waiting for Yoda
  • Options
    I enjoy arena, and to a certain extent GW. Almost anything else is auto or grinding for items. I dont mind grinding for characters, but grinding for 50 purple hairdryers so my hero can have a higher AGI stat is not rewarding in the least. Especially when i could use the attempts to try and gain a new character.
  • Options
    Yeah right now I'm doing no gear grinding at all. Only shard farming. Only spending 150 max crystals a day. Maybe 100 on cantina and 50 on energy. Gear grinding is the worst part of the game as I know even when I finish one 20 or 50 piece of gear I need four more of them to get barely any benefit.
  • Options
    Once you have a maxed team, how often does anyone really lose on offense? Maybe 1 out of 20 max? Arena needs a massive change. You win just about every time on offense, and lose just about every time on defense. It isn't challenging at all.