Something I'm Noticing, Along With A Reminder

With the incoming Falcon, I'm noticing people are stressing out because they have been farming HT for months now and the Falcon is going to wipe it out. Or all their Empire ships are now worthless against Rebels. So on and so on. It seems to happen every time something new comes out. It kinda feels like there are some who are losing the sense of fun...

This game is a blast to play. They had me in Dec 2015 when they said "Collect Your Favorite Star Wars Characters..." Uh, yeah, no duh I'm all over that. It seemed like people were having fun and really enjoying an app that connected us to the Star Wars universe more than any other before or since.

Nowadays, there are soooo many complaints. "I have been farming (insert here) and with the introduction of (insert here) it's now worthless." Or "CG has horrible communication." Or "This is just a huge cash grab and I'm done with it." On and on. In my opinion, that's pretty lame.

Yes, there are things that are frustrating. But does it really matter? Number one, it's a game that lets you have a ton of fun with Star Wars. But that's just it. It's a game. This isn't your job that makes you real life crystals in the form of green paper. Your guild probably isn't your real life family (if it is, well then cool.) You know those backgrounds for the battles? There are real life places that we can go visit that were the inspirations for those backgrounds. The point is, and I say this as much to myself as to anyone else, no matter how well or not you do in SWGOH, that will not change anything about our real lives (for 99% of us - lookin' at you CubsFanHan and MobileGamer). Use this as a tool to have fun, relish in the Star Wars nerdiness, and maybe connect to some people you didn't know before. Don't look for anything else cause it's likely you'll be dissapointed.

Number two, YOU WILL GET THE LEGENDARY CHARACTER/SHIP YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. You might get it the first time around because (let's be honest) you were lucky. If you get it the second, third, or fourth time around, will that really change anything for you while you wait? You might not be in the top of your arena, but out of the, let's just say, 1,000,000 people who play this game, most of us aren't going to be in the top 50 anyways. And complaining about your current farm isn't going to do anything. Hound's Tooth is still going to be a very, very good ship for a long time, whether the Falcon and Rebels become the Meta or not. You're forgetting about the other areas of the game. Using HT as our example, you still need it to get the Falcon. It's needed in DS TB, and it's a very good defensive ship in GA and TW. Another example is Nest. SHE IS STILL A GOSH DARN GOOD CHARACTER. Just don't use her against Revan. Other than that there is TW, TB, GA... If playing to the Meta is your game, then go for it. There are people I know in the game that do and have a ton of fun doing it. But here's the catch, they're not complaining about things.

For me, I've been playing since the start. I took around 8 or so months off in 2017, and another little break in 2018. I've had RJT for a while now, but I just unlocked CLS this morning. I won't have Revan for a long time. I've got Chewie, but the seventh star eluded me, so I'm focusing on my BH team right now (without Bossk and Dengar, so we'll see what happens next go round). C3PO and Ewoks? Forget it. Jawas and whoever they are going to be used for? Now were talking! (see, humor!). And I do just fine in the game. I float around 45 to 65 in ships arena, and 200 - 300 in squad. That's good enough for me, I still feel like I still get enough crystals to help me out a lot (besides, since my shard is so old I'll never make it to the top, those guys have rosters that are so deep Aquaman would have trouble with it).

GA showed me that even though I lack in certain areas, so does everyone else, and I'm not as bad as I thought. I won most of the battles I was in. The two I lost were due to my opponent being a very, very smart player who invested to have a few amazing teams, and not that many characters in total (thus the low GP). It also showed me that most of your characters will have a utilization at some point. I was having trouble with a Nightsister team that I just couldn't beat, and was all out of usable characters. Lo and behold I had my Jawas and HK-47 left, and whamo I beat those pesky sisters (I think I had gotten Old Daka out of the way by that point, and more than likely some excellent RNG was involved...).

Anyways, I'm losing my train of thought. Thanks for sticking with this post for so long. Your prize is the satisfaction of knowing you read something today. The whole point is... This game is fun and we need to remember that. Stop worrying about who has what and whether your keeping up. Compared to everyone else, you probably are. If you want to spend money, go for it. If you don't, you can still have fun! And lastly, enjoy this small piece of the Star Wars Universe that you can control.

That's all. Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    "I'm noticing people are stressing out because they have been farming HT for months now and the Falcon is going to wipe it out." The HT isn't even hard to beat...just need to know the right strategies...bring a ship like Cassian's U-wing off the bench and to dispel it's buffs and HT doesn't last long. But plenty of us who have been playing the game a long time will remember times when there were meta characters and teams like Wiggs, Chaze, Zaul, Zader, Zarriss, Dooku and the dodge meta, etc.....the meta never stays the same and anyone who thinks they can build a meta team and it will just stay the meta for years is kidding themselves.
  • ButtrmlkPncakes
    51 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    There's a reason that only a few complaints stay around once an announced change is implemented. Most complaints are knee-**** reactions that we ALL feel. It just so happens that there is a forum for people to dump their thoughts immediately. Most of us get upset when something is announced and then once it's implemented, it doesn't really change our lives like we thought and we all move on. The complaints that matter are the ones that tend to come up repeatedly (for example, top 10 rewards in the HSTR or Stun Gun availability) and the rest disappear within a few days. The reaction after a change is implemented is far more important than the reaction to an announcement of an upcoming change imo.

lol they censored j erk. what about jerky?
  • Options
    System says, “That’s better” haha
  • Options
    With the incoming Falcon, I'm noticing people are stressing out because they have been farming HT for months now and the Falcon is going to wipe it out. Or all their Empire ships are now worthless against Rebels. So on and so on. It seems to happen every time something new comes out. It kinda feels like there are some who are losing the sense of fun...

This game is a blast to play. They had me in Dec 2015 when they said "Collect Your Favorite Star Wars Characters..." Uh, yeah, no duh I'm all over that. It seemed like people were having fun and really enjoying an app that connected us to the Star Wars universe more than any other before or since.

Nowadays, there are soooo many complaints. "I have been farming (insert here) and with the introduction of (insert here) it's now worthless." Or "CG has horrible communication." Or "This is just a huge cash grab and I'm done with it." On and on. In my opinion, that's pretty lame.

Yes, there are things that are frustrating. But does it really matter? Number one, it's a game that lets you have a ton of fun with Star Wars. But that's just it. It's a game. This isn't your job that makes you real life crystals in the form of green paper. Your guild probably isn't your real life family (if it is, well then cool.) You know those backgrounds for the battles? There are real life places that we can go visit that were the inspirations for those backgrounds. The point is, and I say this as much to myself as to anyone else, no matter how well or not you do in SWGOH, that will not change anything about our real lives (for 99% of us - lookin' at you CubsFanHan and MobileGamer). Use this as a tool to have fun, relish in the Star Wars nerdiness, and maybe connect to some people you didn't know before. Don't look for anything else cause it's likely you'll be dissapointed.

Number two, YOU WILL GET THE LEGENDARY CHARACTER/SHIP YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. You might get it the first time around because (let's be honest) you were lucky. If you get it the second, third, or fourth time around, will that really change anything for you while you wait? You might not be in the top of your arena, but out of the, let's just say, 1,000,000 people who play this game, most of us aren't going to be in the top 50 anyways. And complaining about your current farm isn't going to do anything. Hound's Tooth is still going to be a very, very good ship for a long time, whether the Falcon and Rebels become the Meta or not. You're forgetting about the other areas of the game. Using HT as our example, you still need it to get the Falcon. It's needed in DS TB, and it's a very good defensive ship in GA and TW. Another example is Nest. SHE IS STILL A GOSH DARN GOOD CHARACTER. Just don't use her against Revan. Other than that there is TW, TB, GA... If playing to the Meta is your game, then go for it. There are people I know in the game that do and have a ton of fun doing it. But here's the catch, they're not complaining about things.

For me, I've been playing since the start. I took around 8 or so months off in 2017, and another little break in 2018. I've had RJT for a while now, but I just unlocked CLS this morning. I won't have Revan for a long time. I've got Chewie, but the seventh star eluded me, so I'm focusing on my BH team right now (without Bossk and Dengar, so we'll see what happens next go round). C3PO and Ewoks? Forget it. Jawas and whoever they are going to be used for? Now were talking! (see, humor!). And I do just fine in the game. I float around 45 to 65 in ships arena, and 200 - 300 in squad. That's good enough for me, I still feel like I still get enough crystals to help me out a lot (besides, since my shard is so old I'll never make it to the top, those guys have rosters that are so deep Aquaman would have trouble with it).

GA showed me that even though I lack in certain areas, so does everyone else, and I'm not as bad as I thought. I won most of the battles I was in. The two I lost were due to my opponent being a very, very smart player who invested to have a few amazing teams, and not that many characters in total (thus the low GP). It also showed me that most of your characters will have a utilization at some point. I was having trouble with a Nightsister team that I just couldn't beat, and was all out of usable characters. Lo and behold I had my Jawas and HK-47 left, and whamo I beat those pesky sisters (I think I had gotten Old Daka out of the way by that point, and more than likely some excellent RNG was involved...).

Anyways, I'm losing my train of thought. Thanks for sticking with this post for so long. Your prize is the satisfaction of knowing you read something today. The whole point is... This game is fun and we need to remember that. Stop worrying about who has what and whether your keeping up. Compared to everyone else, you probably are. If you want to spend money, go for it. If you don't, you can still have fun! And lastly, enjoy this small piece of the Star Wars Universe that you can control.

That's all. Thanks!

That's all. Thanks!

I think your post isnt long enough 😬 but seriously, tons of fun? Are we playing the same game? Debacle after debacle and its CG that messes up every single time.
  • Options

That's all. Thanks!

Hi. I agree with everything you’re saying save one thing. Cubbies is the newest game changer and looked after me and a few of my guildies at the time to get GK. I can speak from personal experience and discussions with cubbies that he’s not a shill. I don’t know mobile gamer but he seems like a nice guy. I can only speak for cubbie. He’s one of us and tries his best to pit out the most honest content that he possibly can. Yes it’s easy to throw shade to the game changers however these guys are just trying to give us some early knowledge and theory crafting. This isn’t an endorsement for or against the game changer program just an opinion from someone that knows one of them.
  • Options
    I spend too much money and time on this game to not care. However, I agree with your overall premise is to just have fun and for the most part I do.
  • Options
    Cubbie is actually a stand up guy. He tries hard and, by the grace of the community, he was able to get Revan. He is a voice for us and backs up the community more then enough. Mobile is also a really cool guy and tries to do the same. I know it doesn't always seem that way, but whether they are Game Changers or not, they'd still do content on the game either way. They love Star Wars and have a passion. They do their best to Express their opinions, even if they would be less then suitable for CG. I actually have talked to Cubbie a few times and is a rather good friend. I wouldn't call them shills but they both have benefited from being in the GC program.
    The Infamous DeadpoolKyle28
  • Options
    TLDR
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Bigslow wrote: »
    TLDR

This just another “anyone with valid concerns be quiet because you get lumped in with people who cry to cry”.

I complain and i praise when both are due and will continue to do both.

T. Karrde 4 lyfe
  • enlguy
    85 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Seems like quite the pep talk. I for one am less concerned with changing metas and more concerned that gear bottlenecks and shard farms that can take upwards of a year f2p are absolutely killing any fun this game used to be. It's nothing more than Farmville Star Wars Edition now, and Star Wars was a lot cooler back in the 80s, I never started to play because it was SW, I started because it seemed like a complex game with a lot of interesting facets and required strategy. Now it feels like little more than logging in, praying to RNGesus as I sim everything, and then cursing it over another completely useless day of status quo. I've been playing for a year and a half and finally unlocked CLS, only to find I STILL can't have any fun with him, because his gear started to bottleneck at G7. So, another three months before I can use him anywhere. This game is for people with exorbitant bank accounts or exorbitant time and patience. I fall into neither of those categories.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Options
    @Dk_rek thanks
  • Options

Hi. I agree with everything you’re saying save one thing. Cubbies is the newest game changer and looked after me and a few of my guildies at the time to get GK. I can speak from personal experience and discussions with cubbies that he’s not a shill. I don’t know mobile gamer but he seems like a nice guy. I can only speak for cubbie. He’s one of us and tries his best to pit out the most honest content that he possibly can. Yes it’s easy to throw shade to the game changers however these guys are just trying to give us some early knowledge and theory crafting. This isn’t an endorsement for or against the game changer program just an opinion from someone that knows one of them.

Sorry, I wasn’t throwing Cub under the bus. What I was saying is that they are the only ones whose lives are really changed by this game, as in they are able to make money by doing the awesome stuff they do. Totally agree, their vids are fun to watch and sometimes super helpful. @DeadPool328 @Millwright2309

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Gamer culture thrives on complaints. Everyone likes to think they could design a game from scratch (spoilers: most of them could not), so whenever they see something other than exactly what they would have done, they feel the need to crap all over it and assert their hypothetical superiority. It's a lot easier to sneer at what somebody else made than to make something yourself.

"Ignore the boos. They usually come from the cheap seats."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    What gets me is that every time something comes out that is designed to make money or something in the game is set up in such a way that it will make money, people act like this is a brand new issue and the sky is suddenly falling. That’s how it has always been and will always be.
  • Options
    Whenever you feel that anger rising in you about a change that hurts your current competitiveness, remember this:

You are playing slots with a back story. Calm down.
  • Options
    Easybee wrote: »
    Whenever you feel that anger rising in you about a change that hurts your current competitiveness, remember this:

You are playing slots with a back story. Calm down.

Hahaha this is literally the best.
  • Options
    @enlguy Definitely understand that. A gear bottleneck sucks. I’m in the same boat with CLS, Chewie, etc. But at the same time, I unfortunately put myself there. I gave gear to characters I won’t be utilizing anymore. Like the freakin Jedi Consular. Or Clone Wars Chewie. A waste. But that was my fault for not thinking ahead.

Are there a gazillion characters that need gear? Yes. But in “most” cases (not all cases) we just should have planned better. For me, now I know. When I unlocked RJT, I had her up to gear 12 the second day after getting her, and two zetas within a week because I planned ahead and was ready. I wish I had been playing like that since I started. I read somewhere on this forum about a dude who is ready to get Revan the second time around and has all the zetas and I think gear ready to max him out immediately . That’s awesome, and more people including me could take notes from that.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    @enlguy Definitely understand that. A gear bottleneck sucks. I’m in the same boat with CLS, Chewie, etc. But at the same time, I unfortunately put myself there. I gave gear to characters I won’t be utilizing anymore. Like the freakin Jedi Consular. Or Clone Wars Chewie. A waste. But that was my fault for not thinking ahead.

Are there a gazillion characters that need gear? Yes. But in “most” cases (not all cases) we just should have planned better. For me, now I know. When I unlocked RJT, I had her up to gear 12 the second day after getting her, and two zetas within a week because I planned ahead and was ready. I wish I had been playing like that since I started. I read somewhere on this forum about a dude who is ready to get Revan the second time around and has all the zetas and I think gear ready to max him out immediately . That’s awesome, and more people including me could take notes from that.

um, you know how many chars need stun guns, right? "management sounds good, and is true ftmp, but when they make so many chars all need exactly the same stuff...

also, many are ready for revan due to management planning, which is why people are upset bc they thought he was coming sooner (whenever that is). fwiw
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

um, you know how many chars need stun guns, right? "management sounds good, and is true ftmp, but when they make so many chars all need exactly the same stuff...

also, many are ready for revan due to management planning, which is why people are upset bc they thought he was coming sooner (whenever that is). fwiw

Most needing the same gear is exactly why good planning is needed. How many characters need stun guns right now? Not that many, not more than 5, because if you're working on more than that you'll never finish gearing any of them. It only becomes overwhelming if you look at the entire list of to-do and want to get them all done right now.
  • Options
    @enlguy Definitely understand that. A gear bottleneck sucks. I’m in the same boat with CLS, Chewie, etc. But at the same time, I unfortunately put myself there

No you didn't, the game is designed to have that massive bottleneck so people spend more resources to try to catch up on the impossible task of handing out enough of that gear.

You have to prioritize who to gear obviously but you are being sooooooo naive if you think that you put yourself in that bottleneck
  • Options
    Geshtianna wrote: »

Most needing the same gear is exactly why good planning is needed. How many characters need stun guns right now? Not that many, not more than 5, because if you're working on more than that you'll never finish gearing any of them. It only becomes overwhelming if you look at the entire list of to-do and want to get them all done right now.

I didn't prioritize well....
    qjxxwa2qsebp.png

• Options
    If you're in a good guild that gear bottleneck eventually switches to carbanti. I usually have 1-2 completed mk5 stun gun prototypes waiting on carbanti because I can buy them from shard shop and guild event shop (wampa is ALMOST done!)

Carbanti are never enough
  • Options
    Haidon wrote: »
    Geshtianna wrote: »

I didn't prioritize well....
    qjxxwa2qsebp.png
    How many of those characters are you actively trying to gear at this moment? That's the real question. There are plenty of characters who would show up in my stun gun list like that who I wouldn't give one to because I'm not trying to gear them.
  • Options

Sorry, I wasn’t throwing Cub under the bus. What I was saying is that they are the only ones whose lives are really changed by this game, as in they are able to make money by doing the awesome stuff they do. Totally agree, their vids are fun to watch and sometimes super helpful. @DeadPool328 @Millwright2309

It's all good man. I figured it was taken out of context but wanted to throw in my two cents. There are a lot of people that think Cubs is a corporate shill, and he's really not. He gets frustrated with the game just like everyone else. 😄
    The Infamous DeadpoolKyle28
  • Options
    I'm not usually one to complain but TW is fun and playful and remember the community voted for it. Lol what a crock, when a valid concern arises I'll beat that dead horse into the abyss.

There will always be complaining and concerns and whatever. You can't make everyone happy. It's not the same people complaining all the time but rather someone different is always going to not be happy with something. You must understand that before you give people advice on why not to complain.
  • Options
    "To win" is more important than favorite characters for some people.
  • Options
    Very well said @ trevy!
  • Options
    How many of those characters are you actively trying to gear at this moment? That's the real question. There are plenty of characters who would show up in my stun gun list like that who I wouldn't give one to because I'm not trying to gear them.

Not that many. However, had I prioritized properly, most of those characters wouldn't show up because they wouldn't be past gear 1. the fact that they're at a gear level where they need a stun gun shows I didn't do a very efficient job leveling my army.

• Options
    Haidon wrote: »

Not that many. However, had I prioritized properly, most of those characters wouldn't show up because they wouldn't be past gear 1. the fact that they're at a gear level where they need a stun gun shows I didn't do a very efficient job leveling my army.
    Or you were a good guild member compared to selfish and inflated your GP to help out

It's honestly a little surprising that the carbantis/guns are really the only early bottleneck and it is so easy to get all your toons to that point just needlessly gearing everything up