GP calculation for matchmaking is unfair and needs revision

First of all. Thank you CG devs for giving us this new content. Before launch I had many doubts this game mode would be enjoyable, fortunately the community reception proved me wrong. And I have been enjoying this mode for most of the time.

One thing though, is that, I don’t think the current matchmaking is fair, which makes certain matchups too easy for some meanwhile too difficult for some other, contrary to what you design this mode for: a tournament for players of very similar level. All this is because of one simple reason: total GP, and you know it well unless you don’t play this game.

The first and the biggest problem with the current GP representation is that the fleet GP is very inflated and has no relevance to character GP whatsoever as they do not fight against each other, yet they are used together as a measure of competence.

According to swgoh.gg: The toons with highest max powers are Revan, CLS and JTR, at 27,129. So is Cassian’s U-Wing (68,714) stronger than any 2 of them combined or is Resistance’s X-Wing (47,757) better than any 1.5 of them?

This hugely favors players who put more weighs in toons investments. (Yes people talk about fleet arena rewards but that is irrelevant to the GA) A player with a Scimitar can face a player with 1 Revan and 1 JTR more because their GP are similar (54,937 vs 54,258). God knows how well they can affect the outcome.

My suggestions to this:

For GA without fleet combats: exclude fleet GP entirely. This is very easy as in the player profile the fleet and toon GP are already calculated separately. It is just a matter of parameter setting.

For GA with fleet combats: use the weighted sums of toons/fleet GP proportional to the banner or territory ratio.

The second point. You have been always encouraging players to build extensively, gearing/ranking up toons/ships for better rewards in TW and TB. Many players unlock and rank up toons to 7* just for TB platoons, and gear/mod up weak toons to buff up GP for TW. Toons with no combat power whatsoever are also taken into calculation (a 7* lv1 toon has GP more than a zeta), and so players who contribute for their guilds in these fashions are now put at a disadvantage because they have more non-usable GP.

My suggestion to this:

Set a deployable GP for GA, as you do for TW (iirc that’s 6000). And only calculate GP for toons with GP above the threshold. A minimum should be applied to ships as well.

Replies

• Options
    The sad thing about this situation is that I joked with a guildmate in December (when people first started complaining of unfair matches) that in April CG will put out a notice that they’ve heard our complaints and are thinking of ways to improve the matchmaking. So hopefully by August, they will roll out a new matchmaking system.

It baffles me that it would take so long to implement such easy fixes...unless this is done on purpose.